Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 1st April 2011, 15:28   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Does leaving phone charger plugged into 12V socket overnight drain battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Maruti Dzire Vdi...
Noticed the same when the Garmin GPS charger still has the red LED glowing even with the key removed.
Swift/DZire (in fact all Marutis) shows circuit diagram to be through the ignition switch - please check if the LED light on the charger goes off after 15-20 seconds.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Not for all cars. Mine is the top-end Fiesta...
In the Fiesta, even the stereo runs when the key is not in the socket--the manual also mentions about this.
Is this a Ford trait? Not aware of this earlier.

IIRC, the Embera switches off the power to the 12V DC socket after a delay / after the car is locked. Please check & confirm.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 15:35   #17
BHPian

Default Re: Does leaving phone charger plugged into 12V socket overnight drain battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Not for all cars. Mine is the top-end Fiesta and my pal's Embera was also the top end model in 2005. Both were factory-fitted. But in my after-market Waggie 12 v cigarette lighter socket, it does disconnect when the key is removed.

In the Fiesta, even the stereo runs when the key is not in the socket--the manual also mentions about this.

Hi

a simple check can confirm if the phone charger is on/ not when we switch off the engine. Most of the car phone charges have an indicator light which lights up when you plug into the 12 v socket. now switch off your engine and remove your car's key. observer the indicator light in the charger. if its on- then the charger is drawing poser, if off then the 12v socket shuts down with your engine. My car does this ie switches off the 12v socket.

thanks
harryms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 15:40   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Swift/DZire (in fact all Marutis) shows circuit diagram to be through the ignition switch - please check if the LED light on the charger goes off after 15-20 seconds.

Is this a Ford trait? Not aware of this earlier.

IIRC, the Embera switches off the power to the 12V DC socket after a delay / after the car is locked. Please check & confirm.
Looks like all Fords have this trait in India.

Reg the Embera, my pal is mortally scared of even using his phone charger after that incident at Tirumala.

I am sure the Embera also has that issue, as otherwise, how could a car that was driven 600 kms the prior day just die like that?
vnabhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 15:43   #19
BHPian

If the ignition does not cut-off the power to the socket and you leave on a charger, thats a fire hazard, should the charger malfunction and overheat. The probability of it happening is low, but if it happens, damage would be very severe. Hence, advisable to remove gadgets connected to the socket.

Last edited by risga : 1st April 2011 at 15:46.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 15:54   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
...leaves the charger 'on' overnight - does it drain the battery?
To answer this question - yes, a connected charger will draw current (even 250-500 mA) without a device attached to it. That's why a connected charger feels warm to the touch if left on overnight, even without a device for it to charge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risga View Post
If the ignition does not cut-off the power to the socket and you leave on a charger, thats a fire hazard, should the charger malfunction and overheat.
+1. Yes it is. Please confirm if power to the socket cuts out, or not, in the specific model of the car you drive. If it does not turn off, please remove the car charger from the 12v DC socket before locking up the car.
SS-Traveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st April 2011, 16:02   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryms View Post
Hi

a simple check can confirm if the phone charger is on/ not when we switch off the engine. Most of the car phone charges have an indicator light which lights up when you plug into the 12 v socket. now switch off your engine and remove your car's key. observer the indicator light in the charger. if its on- then the charger is drawing poser, if off then the 12v socket shuts down with your engine. My car does this ie switches off the 12v socket.

thanks
I mentioned this point recently in my long-term ownership thread. The light on my Garmin charger does stay on even after I remove the key.
Old 10th October 2012, 16:40   #22
BHPian

The DC socket in my verna is not working and i suspect its a blown fuse. How do i identify which is the fuse for this? The fuse box is below the steering and i can see many fuses with marking of 10, 15 & 52.

How do i know which is the one to be replaced?

Mine is 2008 model verna Crdi.
ArunV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th October 2012, 17:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

My phone charger is always in the 12V lighter socket for weeks even when i am not charging the phone. We take the civic out maybe once a week so for about a week the charger is plugged in with no car running (So no recharge of the car battery during the week).

Till now nothing has happened, and its been like this for a year (Probably long enough for things to go wrong if they should have).
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 22:02   #24
BHPian

Power that a phone needs to fully charge is negligible, it will also cut-off and consume only a trickle current once the battery is full charged. IMO, if the battery gets discharged, its probably due to a duplicate charger that does not cut-off.. or perhaps you just had an old battery that is low on capacity.
di1in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2012, 22:16   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Ideally any accessory is wired through the ignition key unit. When the ignition is ON only then the accessories work so the question of the battery when the ignition is OFF doesn't make sense. At least this is the case with Maruti's.

I need the key in and ignition ON to charge the phone using the 12V socket. Once the key is removed all stop including the stereo.

Please check the circuits as ther could be some fault in it.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 20:52   #26
Senior - BHPian

My beetle has one port which is always on. This caused it's battery to get drained this weekend because of the GPS and I had to jump start with my minivan's battery. My minivan has two ports, one is always on, the other is only on when the ignition is on.

Is there a way to change the beetle's port to be only on when ignition is on?
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 21:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Not True... I have a stock Maruti Dzire Vdi which came with a factory fitted 12V socket. In my car, the power to the socket doesn't get disconnected when I switch off the car and key is removed. Noticed the same when the Garmin GPS charger still has the red LED glowing even with the key removed.
But that's not the case with my Swift VDi. The 12v socket switches off when the key is taken out, and I keep my mobile charger 'always' plugged-in (upto 3 weeks without starting the car when I'm out-of-city) and never had any sort of issues.
asethi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th December 2012, 22:04   #28
Senior - BHPian

Going by my experience, all Marutis (or should I say most) cut off all electricals when the key is removed, except perhaps the headlamps/ tail lamps.

All Fords in India are the opposite in the sense that the 12 V connection and stereo continue to operate even when the key is removed. The Ford manual does mention that the stereo can still be operated when the key is removed. I think the stereo operates for an hour only. Not sure about the 12 V charger though as there is no mention about it in the manual.