Team-BHP - Does leaving phone charger plugged into 12V socket overnight drain battery?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Technical Stuff (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/)
-   -   Does leaving phone charger plugged into 12V socket overnight drain battery? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/98875-does-leaving-phone-charger-plugged-into-12v-socket-overnight-drain-battery.html)

I have a phone charger that I use to charge my phone through the 12V socket. Sometimes I forget to unplug the charger from the 12V socket (but always remove the phone) so that leaves the charger 'on' overnight - does it drain the battery? Same thing goes for a car-PC charger that I use. Btw my car doesn't cut off the power to 12V socket when ignition is off.

Edit: found some similar discussion on the net:
http://ask.metafilter.com/154417/A-f...e-nothing-left

No it does not. I once left it plugged in for 5 days in the indica.
The drain is a trickle at idle in case of IC powered devices such as your phone charger
However, power inverters do drain a significant amount of current(DC-AC devices), but then again, one night is too less.

I'd say 'yes'. I am not sure how much charge your mobile consumes, but we did face a big issue when we left it in the car overnight. The battery got completely drained and the car refused to start, even though it was driven 600 kms the prior day.

What compounded the issue was that we were atop Tirumala, and it was a hell of a job to get a new battery from Tirupati, as cops do not allow batteries uphill.

The car (Sonata Embera) was more than 4 years old, hence our decision to go for a new battery.

Recently, I discovered that even in my Fiesta, the charger light for my Garmin GPS keeps glowing even after I switched off the car and removed the key.

Therefore, please take precautions.

What car is it? Ideally the supply to the socket is cut-off when the ignition is turned off.

If the supply is present, the chargers would definitely consume some power. The laptop charger more than the phone charger but shouldn't be high enough to drain the battery overnight unless something is actually being charged at the time.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vnabhi (Post 2298605)
I'd say 'yes'. I am not sure how much charge your mobile consumes, but we did face a big issue when we left it in the car overnight. The battery got completely drained and the car refused to start, even though it was driven 600 kms the prior day.

What compounded the issue was that we were atop Tirumala, and it was a hell of a job to get a new battery from Tirupati, as cops do not allow batteries uphill.

The car (Sonata Embera) was more than 4 years old, hence our decision to go for a new battery.

Recently, I discovered that even in my Fiesta, the charger light for my Garmin GPS keeps glowing even after I switched off the car and removed the key.

Therefore, please take precautions.

Was the device (phone/GPS) was also connected to the charger overnight, or was it just the charger alone without any device?

I am not sure about the phone charger but I once had an issue with Autocop Central locking in my Indica. The mainboard of this ACL had some issues due to moisture (some fuses blown up) and Autocop guy told me to replace it which I didn't. After few days it started draining the battery(Brand new battery) It happened few times. I took the car to workshop and they couldn't find out the cause of it. Later on I disconnected the central locking and it worked wonder. Since then I have not reconnected it and battery has been working fine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 2298627)
Was the device (phone/GPS) was also connected to the charger overnight, or was it just the charger alone without any device?

Just the charger. We are careful not to leave devices behind in the car as they could easily be pilfered

In the Alto it does not. When you remove the keys from ignition, the accessories go off, including the cigarette socket. The mobile charger is powered from the 12V socket.

Which car do you have? Also does the 12V remain powered when you remove the key from the ignition?

Answer is no! as the current that charger uses is negligible.

Also all chargers come with a fuse inside it. Not sure about the local made, sold at traffic lights types.

As everybody has said, the answer is "Ideally No". Unless the charger conked or something leading to leakage of electricity.

While you are getting your battery checked, do check out the charger as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by niteshbids (Post 2298610)
What car is it? Ideally the supply to the socket is cut-off when the ignition is turned off.

While it would be preferred that the supply is disconncted when the ignition is turned off, unfortunately that is not the case in the case of my car as well - an Ikon.

I discovered this when my FM transmitter continued to transmit even after the car was switched off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2299091)
As everybody has said, the answer is "Ideally No". Unless the charger conked or something leading to leakage of electricity.

+1. Please check for the leakage.
Most of the times, either I leave my GPS unit or Mobile charger plugged to my car when idle (sometimes for 2-3days).
My car's battery has never died because of this.

Quote:

Originally Posted by androdev (Post 2298573)
...I forget to unplug the charger from the 12V socket ...
... - does it drain the battery?

Power supply to the auxiliary power socket is disconnected when the key is removed in any car that has a factory-fitted 12V DC socket. No way it can drain the battery.
Quote:

Originally Posted by niteshbids (Post 2298610)
Ideally the supply to the socket is cut-off when the ignition is turned off.

True for all cars when the socket is factory-fitted and part of the original electrical circuit.
Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2299363)
...unfortunately that is not the case in the case of my car as well - an Ikon.

Benny, was this an after-market fitment? Please re-check the circuitry from where the socket is drawing power - easy to correct by an auto electrician.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2299590)
Power supply to the auxiliary power socket is disconnected when the key is removed in any car that has a factory-fitted 12V DC socket. No way it can drain the battery.

True for all cars when the socket is factory-fitted and part of the original electrical circuit.

Benny, was this an after-market fitment? Please re-check the circuitry from where the socket is drawing power - easy to correct by an auto electrician.

Not True... I have a stock Maruti Dzire Vdi which came with a factory fitted 12V socket. In my car, the power to the socket doesn't get disconnected when I switch off the car and key is removed. Noticed the same when the Garmin GPS charger still has the red LED glowing even with the key removed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2299590)

Not for all cars. Mine is the top-end Fiesta and my pal's Embera was also the top end model in 2005. Both were factory-fitted. But in my after-market Waggie 12 v cigarette lighter socket, it does disconnect when the key is removed.

In the Fiesta, even the stereo runs when the key is not in the socket--the manual also mentions about this.