Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 21st January 2013, 20:43   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner666 View Post
Is it confirmed that the Auto-lock will not work on the latest variants of the i20?

Anybody got a clue whether the armrest can be retrofitted? Guess they have it only on the top-end models and I have a Magna.

I have gone for an after Market Arm-Rest. You can get it at e-Bay for ~1k or even less. did a DIY with the installation. But you need to drill a couple of holes on the center console You would not be able to use one cup-holder too. Shall take some photos tomorrow in daylight and post it here.
nettooran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd January 2013, 22:43   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Auto-lock will not work on the iGen variants!

As for the arm-rest the Asta has an integrated seat armrest that can manually go all the way up and parallel to the seat or can be brought down. The cubby hole between the two front seats can accommodate an after market armrest which are available at many car accessories fitment shops!
Skipping out on safety features is not a cool thing by an manufacturer. Looks more like an oversight by Hyundai!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nettooran View Post
I have gone for an after Market Arm-Rest. You can get it at e-Bay for ~1k or even less. did a DIY with the installation. But you need to drill a couple of holes on the center console You would not be able to use one cup-holder too. Shall take some photos tomorrow in daylight and post it here.
I was quite hoping I could get the OEM look without compromising on the cup holders as well.

Now that it doesn't seem feasible, nettooran can you upload pics of your armrest as well? Would help me decide. Saw a pic uploaded by a member somewhere on the forums about an armrest with a small fold out cupholder at the back (a la Vento). Keen on getting something similar, although I remember reading that it cost him 5k!!
Sinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd January 2013, 23:21   #93
BHPian

Quote:

Now that it doesn't seem feasible, nettooran can you upload pics of your armrest as well? Would help me decide. Saw a pic uploaded by a member somewhere on the forums about an armrest with a small fold out cupholder at the back (a la Vento). Keen on getting something similar, although I remember reading that it cost him 5k!!
Here are some snap shots of the arm rest that I have installed

This is how it looks once the arm-rest is fixed.
Name:  front view 1.JPG
Views: 11193
Size:  40.2 KB

The top portion slides a little to the front

Name:  front view 2.JPG
Views: 13986
Size:  42.3 KB

There is a storage compartment in the arm rest.

Name:  front view open.JPG
Views: 10956
Size:  34.7 KB

Rear View

Name:  rear view2.JPG
Views: 12187
Size:  46.2 KB

Rear View when the arm rest is folded up

Name:  rear view.JPG
Views: 11371
Size:  47.3 KB

1 Litre bottle in cup holder when arm rest is pulled down

Name:  bottle1.JPG
Views: 13134
Size:  44.2 KB

Name:  bottle2.JPG
Views: 10931
Size:  43.4 KB

The red circles shows positions where I have drilled. The yellow circle shows position where I intended to drill , but could not since it needed the seats to be removed and I did not have the right sized spanner to remove the seats. At present all screws are fixed towards the rear. since there is no support at the front, I fear that a heavy weight on the from side may break the supporting panel. Shall Do it as soon as I am able to find a spanner to remove the seats.

Name:  drilled.JPG
Views: 10858
Size:  80.8 KB
nettooran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 00:37   #94
BHPian

Hey guys!

No new trips & tricks? It's been a while now.

Btw, I discovered that the power windows work even after the car has been switched off for another 20 seconds or so. Was about to come and post when I happened to read through the tbhp review where they had covered it as a feature!
Old 10th March 2013, 01:00   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey guys!

No new trips & tricks? It's been a while now.

Btw, I discovered that the power windows work even after the car has been switched off for another 20 seconds or so. Was about to come and post when I happened to read through the tbhp review where they had covered it as a feature!
Not a tip or trick as such, but I retrofitted full LED fog modules after opening up my stock fog lamps!

Now they have a nice cutoff and are way brighter than stock halogens!
sohail99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th March 2013, 17:33   #96
Senior - BHPian

Hi nettooran is it possible to place a half litre bottle inside the arm rest and close it..?
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th March 2013, 18:43   #97
Senior - BHPian

Has someone retrofitted the new DRL fogs to the older i20? a friend wanted to, but the HASS couldnt be bothered, so wanted to know what were the options
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 07:26   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
Has someone retrofitted the new DRL fogs to the older i20? a friend wanted to, but the HASS couldnt be bothered, so wanted to know what were the options
If you can get them, you can modify and remove the drls and they can be retrofitted inside the main headlamps! But that'll involved opening up the lamps lenses etc.
It can't be a direct plug&play due to the triangular design!

Currently, I'm exploring the idea with curved drls, but if I ever open my main beams, I'll retrofitted full LED low and high beams as well!

Last edited by sohail99 : 18th March 2013 at 07:29.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:50   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sohail99 View Post
If you can get them, you can modify and remove the drls and they can be retrofitted inside the main headlamps! But that'll involved opening up the lamps lenses etc.
It can't be a direct plug&play due to the triangular design!

Currently, I'm exploring the idea with curved drls, but if I ever open my main beams, I'll retrofitted full LED low and high beams as well!
This is for an i Gen i20 that was bought a little before the DRL version was launched. It has triangular fogs like the current ones, but without the DRL's.

For a quick and dirty retrofit, I suppose all you need to do are draw a pair of wires to a switch on the dash or to the parklights with a relay, but wanted to do a more proper install
greenhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th March 2013, 12:05   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
This is for an i Gen i20 that was bought a little before the DRL version was launched. It has triangular fogs like the current ones, but without the DRL's.

For a quick and dirty retrofit, I suppose all you need to do are draw a pair of wires to a switch on the dash or to the parklights with a relay, but wanted to do a more proper install
I bet you can directly retro the drls fogs then! Hyundai techs usually don't know anything about this and they automatically assume it's impossible!
There will be a DRL relay involved apart from the drl fogs or it might even be built into the foglamp housing! You'll have to check the rear of the bumper to see whether mounts for fog lamps are present or not.
Usually the relay will turn on the drls when your car starts and will be responsible for dimming them when your parking or headlamps come on, and will turn them off automatically when you switch off the car! Under ideal conditions, a switch wont be needed for drls!
Old 27th May 2013, 20:08   #101
BHPian

Question Re: Hyundai i20 - Tips & Tricks

Hi nettooran! I too have installed an aftermarket armrest in my i20. I must say its a very useful thing to have. But I wanted to ask that, do you hear any rattles when going over rough roads? because I am already hearing some rattles from my armrest.
GreyAsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:25   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mon'l View Post

Here is the message displayed during incoming call (the caller name is also displayed) :
Attachment 534068
I have a 2013 i20. Whenever I connect my phone (Android 4.2), only the number displays in place of the name, ie John shows as +919829998299(sample, don't try calling this number, you will find no John at the other end! )
Zahir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th February 2014, 17:08   #103

Default Re: i20 Tips & Tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildon View Post
5. Rheostat Ilumination Control - Add-on
============
Cost: Rs.579.00
Is the default setting, that is without the control, maximum brightness?
racer_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2014, 08:41   #104

Hey guys, any idea if we can access our mobile phone contact list from the car HU or not?
racer_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th February 2014, 17:06   #105
BHPian

Hey guys,

Was just randomly trawling ebay when I found this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Silicone-Cov...d1b3a2&vxp=mtr

Looked interesting, especially since the SA once mentioned that the flip key costs some INR 8k if damaged/lost.

Has anyone used anything like this before. Any reviews would be welcome.

The only problem I can foresee as of now is that my Magna version has the boot open button as the third button on the key whereas it is the middle one on most of these covers. But I guess that is something that I can live with/get used to.