Go Back   Team-BHP > Under the Hood > Technical Stuff

Old 2nd July 2014, 20:17   #31
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How to increase the Ground Clearance of my sedan

The rogerab site says its costs 8275 while the Autorunner product which has a similar profile cost around 2200 for a pair at the rear.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...uspension.html (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?)
sumeethaldankar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 19:30   #32
BHPian

Exclamation Raising the ride height of a Car??

Hi Guys,

Have come across may threads wherein bhipians have lowered the ride heights of their rides by using after market suspension components from brands like Bilstein & Koni.

Also we have ways to raise the ride heights of 4x4 offroaders via shackle lifts and SPOA conversions.

Now, what I want to understand is how easy of difficult would it be to raise the ride height of a vehicle like the ECOSPORT by about 25~30mm.

Basic requirement is to get more clearence between the tyres and wheel arches... but if this could be done with or an increase in actual suspension travel it would be even better.

Would request inputs from the techie bros here

Thanks!
vikash49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2014, 20:54   #33
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Raising the ride height of a Car??

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post

Now, what I want to understand is how easy of difficult would it be to raise the ride height of a vehicle like the ECOSPORT by about 25~30mm.

Raising the ride height will alter the vehicle dynamics. So, please make sure you are ready for the change, and the intended advantages are worth the mod.

I'm not sure if there are bolt on kits available for the ecosport (eg: ironman), but, with bolt on parts, raising the ride height is pretty easy, and probably a one day job.
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2014, 00:15   #34
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Raising the ride height of a Car??

12 to 15 mm is achievable by changing the aspect ratio of the tyres themselves ... although not recommended generally.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th January 2015, 07:16   #35

Default Re: Increasing the Ground Clearance

I am tired of scraping driving around and have been limiting my drives within the city and using another car for outstations.

Was enquiring about suspension overhaul and ways to increase ground clearance. Last week, i got a call from local honda dealer that a suspension kit with new shock absorbers is available for ANHC (Dec 2008-2013) models. This will raise the ground clearance by 5mm from 160mm to 165mm. Which matches the height of later models.

My Dec 2008 ANHC shockers are squeeking and requires an overhaul. So i am going for the suspension kit. The quoted price is 18,000 + taxes.

Will keep you posted on how it works out.
ramkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2015, 20:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

Akshay I m planning to buy a set for my Yeti, just to make it feel better than stock, over bumps and God Knows that Bendakalloooru where I live has scallions of speed breakers and other obstacles!
What do you say?
The kit costs about 9K. Seems a good price.
Am dead keen on these!

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
This is what you need.

http://www.rogermotors.com/rogerab/s...15223-cat.html

Should improve handling as well
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2015, 20:39   #37
BHPian

A spare parts guy mentioned that it is possible to change the rubber pads at the top of the struts to thicker ones which would achieve the same result as the autorunners.
Is this true, feasible and safe ?
Mortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 10:24   #38
BHPian

I did exactly that. Rather than change rubber pads, i put in 1.5 inch rubber pads.
More on this here (Coil Spring Adjusters : VFM Fix for the Honda Civic's (lousy) soft rear suspension?).
@Chaand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th May 2015, 11:54   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Akshay I m planning to buy a set for my Yeti, just to make it feel better than stock, over bumps and God Knows that Bendakalloooru where I live has scallions of speed breakers and other obstacles!
With all due respect, Shankar - its jugaad. All it seems to do is to limit suspension travel, and why would you want to restrict travel on a 4x4?

I'm going to be exploring real suspension options as soon as I am out of warranty.
Steeroid is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th October 2015, 15:12   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramkan View Post
I am tired of scraping driving around and have been limiting my drives within the city and using another car for outstations.

Was enquiring about suspension overhaul and ways to increase ground clearance. Last week, i got a call from local honda dealer that a suspension kit with new shock absorbers is available for ANHC (Dec 2008-2013) models. This will raise the ground clearance by 5mm from 160mm to 165mm. Which matches the height of later models.

My Dec 2008 ANHC shockers are squeeking and requires an overhaul. So i am going for the suspension kit. The quoted price is 18,000 + taxes.

Will keep you posted on how it works out.
@ramkan

I recently acquired a used ANHC from 2009 and found the speedbreaker scrapping too annoying. I would like to know your experience post the installation of suspension kit with new shock absorbers available for ANHC (Dec 2008-2013) models. Your opinion would be most helpful!
ronello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2016, 19:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

My civic does not have a ground clearance issue as i have upgraded tyres and the coil spring doughnuts at the rear. However due to the cng tank at the back the rear just droops too low more so with passengers at the rear.My mechanic suggested that i can get spacers installed at the rears to decrease the droopy look. I keep getting stopped at octroi posts as those people think i am carrying goods etc to evade taxes etc. I was chased and stopped today again, for the freaking fifth time plus i absolutely hate the droopy rear looks.

So is it advisable to get spacers installed at the rear? Will it compromise handling to the extent of safety ? I rarely cross the ton mark while driving and stick to max speeds of 80 to 90 as i value safety, human life & my car more than speed thrills and ego's. My concern is safety and tyre wear after installing the spacers.
sumeethaldankar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th February 2016, 15:05   #42
BHPian

I have a Hyundai Xcent, and I am looking to improve it's ground clearance a little bit because I am planning to lug the poor thing to Ladakh this July. Even though I read through this thread and discovered various ways of increasing the GC, I am not sure which of these would be a good option in my case. I am not too keen to changing the tires because they've run only 15,000 kms till now. Once it's time to for change, I'd surely switch to better ones.

Anyway, here are a few questions I have:
1. GC of my current is 165mm. How much more can it be increased without affecting the ride quality or cornering so much that it matters? I was thinking of 10mm, but would that be advisable?
2. Spacers is surely the least expensive option, but I might need 2-3 of them to achieve what I am trying to. Again, will that be advisable?
3. Should I even be thinking about increasing the GC?
shayonpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 08:37   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Before increasing ground clearance, it is important to note WHY your car is scraping over speed breakers.
===========
Remember, the car sitting at its normal level with load, is better & safer than the suspension bottoming out with load. I have not made my car sit higher; only brought the rear at level with the front and prevented it from sagging / dropping.
Dear Sir,

Thanks for this very informative and useful article.
Having similar problems with my 2010 city
Would highly appreciate it, if you know any one in Pune who is doing the modifications similar to the one you did on your Civic
LOKSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 10:08   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I'm going to be exploring real suspension options as soon as I am out of warranty.
Steer - does the international version of the Yeti have suspension components that can go in directly, to help you get there faster & easier?
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th January 2017, 10:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

I have been using Rogerab Suspension Dampers on my car since around March 2016.
They are made of PVC and are affixed to the Coil Springs on the Yeti, both Front and Rear.
This, coupled with the higher profile tyres 215/65/16 as against 215/60/16increases the GC by approx 7-10mm.
But one of the good side effects I ve observed is that on these HUGE ELEPHANTINE speed breakers of Bangalore where you rise up suddenly and come back down with a THUD, because they are so badly designed, what these Dampers do, is to reduce/ damp down to an extent the naturally soft and long travel of articulation, thereby completely preventing those horribly dull thuds and the sickening up and down motion while going over such speed bumps.

And I generally drive slowly - I always take speed bumps slowly and ideally in First Gear.

However, with Rogerab, I am actually able to take the self same speed bumps in second gear and while travelling at a marginally faster rate of speed.

Notably the nasty one near IAS Colony in HSR Layout. On the road connecting that IAS Colony area to the main road on which the HDFC Bank and My Mark@ Store and Malnad Auto is. Near that Cafe Gold Kenn or the Punjabi Restaurant/ Steakhouse type place.
shankar.balan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote