Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2011, 22:28   #616
BHPian

re: Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)

I finally managed to get my hands on the dashing 1.6 sx (diesel) model and was impressed with the quiet engine , pick up and drive-ability. The features are brilliant , specially the rear parking camera which turns on immediately after the reverse is engaged.

Never felt like driving a diesel car , FATC was good in spite of 43Deg temperature today in Delhi. Was shocked to know that the kerb weight is 1071KG which is lighter than ANHC

I was only disappointed with the rear seat which I feel is a little uncomfortable for tall people. I need my family's consent before I book it.

The waiting period is about 15 days for the diesel sx model in ncr
Old 14th May 2011, 22:48   #617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreejinair View Post
If u r going for the new verna, I would suggest u the diesel instead of the petrol. Reasons

Diesel engine lasts forever compared to petrol ones.
One should basically choose a diesel / petrol based on the average mileage they clock! Sometimes it can very well happen that the extra premium paid for the diesel will not break even. And the service cost will be slightly expensive [could be much bigger if there is an engine repair] than petrol.

And in most of the cases diesel engines don't last better than petrol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfff View Post
Its already 128bhp and the plan is to pete it the day I get it
Does the pete's box for the old Verna [1.5L CRDi] fit into the new Verna as well? If the old one doesn't fit, its highly unlikely that the Pete's box for the new version is out this early. You might need to wait for some time.
Old 14th May 2011, 22:56   #618
BHPian

Took a TD of the VTVT SX 1.6 from Advaith Hyundai today evening. Love the looks of the car .

Reversing is a tough job, but i think it can be perfected gradually with the rear view camera.

As most of the members mentioned, the thigh support at the rear is a huge let down. And you feel like you are sitting in a ditch at the rear. When i tried to adjust the headrest on the rear seat , the headrest came of the groove and was in my hand. Probably i tried to pull it hard

The audio quality is a disaster , hope any of the ICE gurus out here devise a plan to get around it.

Overall, liked the car , the petrol engine is not as bad as the earlier Verna.

Next week, i'm going to take a TD of the CRDI as well, the hike in gas prices is making me think in that direction.
Old 14th May 2011, 23:04   #619
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
One should basically choose a diesel / petrol based on the average mileage they clock! Sometimes it can very well happen that the extra premium paid for the diesel will not break even. And the service cost will be slightly expensive [could be much bigger if there is an engine repair] than petrol.

And in most of the cases diesel engines don't last better than petrol!
Checkout the warranty before buying since my friends brand new Swift broke down on day 3, and when I say break down it was a complete engine break down. Fortunately maruti suzuki gave him a brand new car. So anything can happen to any car at anytime.

As far as petrol engines last more than a diesel engine is something i am hearing for the first time. Can u plz enlighten us
Old 14th May 2011, 23:08   #620
BHPian

Guys,
I happened to visit Blue Hyundai in Mysore road, Bangalore today. As I own Vento Diesel Highline, I was naturally curious to compare Vento & "Fluidic" Verna. I took many snaps through my phone & here they are along with my observations.
(pardon me for the quality in some of the photos)

1. First I was a bit confused if the new front-look is similar to i10 or i20. So took these snaps. Compare yourselves:

Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0252.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0250.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0251.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0254.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0255.jpg
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0253.jpg

2. Unlike Vento which has only two airbags even in highline, the new Verna has 6. I could see this on the B pillar from inside. BTW, do you know where these six are? 2 curtain bags running along the length of cabin, 2 side airbags & [COLOR=inherit][COLOR=inherit][COLOR=inherit]2 in[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] front (as read in the brochure). Somehow, I feel the the curtain bags are hardly useful for the rear seat passengers. It doesnt help in case of a head-on collision.
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0257.jpg

3. Music system with Bluetooth is something I badly miss in Vento. Still, IMO, the one in Verna was not convincing for the reason that it could have been an LCD HU. However, I could see the controls to take or cut calls straight from the steering wheel which is really nice. Also, I feel (correct me if am wrong) the mic for the system is embedded just above the driver's head. See this pic.
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0258.jpg

4. The height adjust for the driver's seat, IMO is better in Vento. See the below pic. The control wheel to lift the seat is in the frontside of the seat & when I rotated it, I felt as though only the front tip of the seat is lifting up; but not the back portion of the seat. Essentially, if you keep looking through the windshield while lifting the seat, increasing the height will not given much of an elevated view angle of the road. Anyway, that is my opinion.
In Vento's case, the height adjust lever lifts the seat from the back side & not front and view elevation angle sharply rises.
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0260.jpg

5. This is actually interesting. Looks like Verna learned from Vento's glitch of the handbrake-armrest placement. However, even Verna's solution is not satisfactory. See the pic below & notice the distance. If you keep your elbow joint on the armrest, your palm doesn't reach the gear knob! Sameway, if you grab the gear knob, you can't keep your elbow on the armrest! It may just be used to rest the hand while not changing the gear, resulting in continuous exercise to the elbow
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0262.jpg

6. Compartment below armrest is really deep as compared to Vento's. In Vento, you can only keep either a mobile or sunglass & nothing more. In this case, you can keep a lot! Looks like, the central space from below the gear knob till below the rear seat (sans the hump) is gifted to Verna owner. Nice.
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0263.jpg

7. I tested the "smartkey" a little. First of all, asked a sales guy to hold the key just outside the front door while I was seated in driver's seat. Then I tried switching on the engine. It didnt start! Tried some more possibilities. It worked as it should.
Then I brought the key inside the car & pressed the start button. It started. Now, I moved the key just a bit outside the window. The display started showing "Key is not in vehicle". Overall, very nice implementation. And I couldnt locate any sensor whatsoever. See the pic.
Review: 2nd-gen Hyundai Verna (2011)-imag0265.jpg

8. One more important feature is the parking sensor. Nicely integrated into the system. It automatically activates, the moment the gear is changed to reverse slot (to "P" slot in AT) with a quick beep & closes automatically when changed back. Wow. I am badly in need of this in Vento.

9. I could also notice the dead pedal, which is again absent in Vento.

10. The "feel" of shutting the door in Vento is better than Verna I felt. The sound of that thud is more pleasing in Vento.

The guys at the showroom said the waiting period is 2 months as of now. I checked with them about previous two versions: "simple" verna & "transform" verna. They are giving 50K discount for existing transform ones & 60K for the simple ones and had 4 or 5 of them in stock.

I came out of the showroom towards my Vento & few people (5-6) gathered around asking about Vento. I ended up giving small demos to them. I could easily notice they were all comparing the features right there & it was evident Verna Vs. Vento debate was heating up and the Customer is the final winner anyway.
blackdiesel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th May 2011, 23:15   #621
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As far as petrol engines last more than a diesel engine is something i am hearing for the first time. Can u plz enlighten us
Now this is news to me ! You might want to check this very same forum to see issues on the diesel engines [especially Hyundai CRDis] and the cost associated with those.

Out of all the time I have read & known about cars, I have hardly heard of issues about petrol models. Yeah, exceptions are there, including a Polo as well [again in this forum itself] but very very rarely for a petrol.

Its "given" that most of the petrol engines last for a 1.5-2L kms while a diesel is better left at 1L kms [Again I have read about 'trouble free" diesels which has done 2L kms and Innovas which have done 5L kms]

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th May 2011 at 23:19.
Old 14th May 2011, 23:21   #622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ph03n!x View Post
Hence Diesel engines come with what is called a glow-plug, which pre-heats the combustion chamber (in case of direct injection engines). The yellow coil spring indicator, if on, denotes that the engine is being pre-heated, and you have to wait a second for it to turn off before you crank the engine.
Damn. This is one of those things I assumed I knew, but would have been left grasping at the straws, trying to put in words the idea, if somebody had put forth the question.

Would the glow plug be powered by the battery?
Old 14th May 2011, 23:27   #623
Senior - BHPian

This is really strange, the verna site seems to be slightly misleading, The homepage of verna has this pics of CNBC Auto Awards, BS Motoring Award, Car and Bike Award and Overdrive Awards 2007 ??? ... I mean it misdirects people to assume that its this Verna that won all these awards, which I am sure it did not win (not the Overdrive Awards 2007 for sure).
Can someone explain this.

Also I recall someone mentioned that he will measure the GC by seating 5 people in the car.
a. Dont think GC is to be measured with full capacity, not sure about this.
b. Dont think just measuring bumper is the right way. There are parts of underbody which might have even lesser GC so measuring is actually not possible.

Off Topic:
I have read the reviews about this car with few people having mentioned the car rocks like a boat, (I have not personally test driven it yet). I was shocked on seeing the ad of the car, in which its actually compared to the boat.. what kind of ad was that.
Old 15th May 2011, 01:46   #624
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You might want to check this very same forum to see issues on the diesel engines [especially Hyundai CRDis] and the cost associated with those.
The 3 Cylinder 1.5L CRDi that came in the Accent - the first CRDI Turbo in India under 10 Lakhs - was pretty notorious to give a hefty bill at around 80k KM. This was derived off the 2.0 CRDi from the Elantra / Sonata / Tuscon, by chopping off one cylinder.

All other Hyundai CRDi engines - the 2.0L I4 in the Elantra / Sonata / Tuscon, and the 1.5L I4 Verna / Getz do not have a perennial problem anymore. Of course they pack a pretty punch, and if you abuse it, they will conk off - like any engine will.

Reminds of the Suzuki Shogun, that used to revv till 14k RPM, and many who loved to stay at 14k RPMs at each gear abused it so much that they more oft than not ended up with a seized engines because they never bothered about the engine oil

Quote:
Does the pete's box for the old Verna [1.5L CRDi] fit into the new Verna as well? If the old one doesn't fit, its highly unlikely that the Pete's box for the new version is out this early. You might need to wait for some time.
I don't think the same Pete's box will do with the newer engine

Last edited by ph03n!x : 15th May 2011 at 01:49.
Old 15th May 2011, 03:40   #625
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is news to me ! You might want to check this very same forum to see issues on the diesel engines [especially Hyundai CRDis] and the cost associated with those.

Out of all the time I have read & known about cars, I have hardly heard of issues about petrol models. Yeah, exceptions are there, including a Polo as well [again in this forum itself] but very very rarely for a petrol.

Its "given" that most of the petrol engines last for a 1.5-2L kms while a diesel is better left at 1L kms [Again I have read about 'trouble free" diesels which has done 2L kms and Innovas which have done 5L kms]
Per your own experience (which u've read) have you heard of a petrol which is still doing well after 5 lacs kms? I dont know what you drive, neither am I interested in what anyone drives. I'm only interested in the facts. I've seen diesels which have done more than 5 lacs kms in my life. Unfortunately I couldnt find a petrol which have done more than 3 lac kms. Thats just my experience. Honestly speaking our views really dont matter when it comes to individuals who just want to buy a car doesnt matter what the engine is neither the handling and most of them have the same attitude. One has to compromise somewhere no doubt about it. No matter what you buy one can always find fault in it. For example Cruze awesome engine, very quite, good performance, but handling is not that great, neither is the rear seating. I can carry on with any car.
Old 15th May 2011, 06:37   #626
Distinguished - BHPian

Regarding the handling part that was discussed few pages ago- The suspension setup in Verna is setup a bit too soft just like the previous car. Yes it will a safe handler, it's not going to spin out of control if you drive it sanely. I have extensively driven the previous Verna, while the Handling was not involving, it was the Ride that concerned me most, at speeds it cannot stay planted and lacks composure.

Being an enthusiast i expect the cars to be good handlers, with good body control(though like a bit of roll aka Swift) and a steering that does feel connected(HPS or not) etc all this somehow feels missing in i20 and Verna.

If you do not care about the involvement part and just require a safe handler, the Verna with tire upgrade will work wonders for you.

To me the actual performance of the car is more important than the gadgetry and features.

Quote:
For example Cruze awesome engine, very quite, good performance, but handling is not that great, neither is the rear seating. I can carry on with any car.
The Cruze actually has very decent dynamics, surely it's not as good handler as the Octy RS but if you compare it any of the Hyundai cars, it's in a different league altogether.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:25   #627
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondacity View Post
Was shocked to know that the kerb weight is 1071KG which is lighter than ANHC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
Whats the weight of Verna?
149 KGS lesser than Vento (13.91%)..but the fluidic shape make it look heavier than the vento .

Also felt the ANHV steering too light to my liking, whereas Vento is better. At Vento rear seats, you can stretch your legs to the bottom of the front seat, which gives better thigh support. This cannot be done with Verna as you cannot push your feet in, hence rear seats comfort is very less compared to Vento

Last edited by Surprise : 15th May 2011 at 07:31.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:37   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
2. Unlike Vento which has only two airbags even in highline, the new Verna has 6. I could see this on the B pillar from inside. BTW, do you know where these six are? 2 curtain bags running along the length of cabin, 2 side airbags & 2 in front (as read in the brochure). Somehow, I feel the the curtain bags are hardly useful for the rear seat passengers. It doesnt help in case of a head-on collision.
Curtain airbags are for side impact protection, and it will definitely help rear seat passengers. If not what is the need for having it there? Normally in these cars, all the airbags will get deployed in case of a head-on collision.
Old 15th May 2011, 07:38   #629
BHPian

I will be bring the New Verna 1.6 CRDi SX (O) home in about 6 hours from now. Its white, and for now, I plan to upgrade to better sound system, although I will retain the HU so as not to mess with the steering controls. I would update you guys with the initial report soon.
Old 15th May 2011, 08:56   #630
BHPian

The Driver Seat height adjustment feature is not mentioned anywhere on Hyundai's site or the feature list hand-out but looks like it's a feature for SX and SX(O) versions

Agree with BlackDiesel, when I turned the height adjustment knob slightly, I could only feel the front portion (underthigh) of the seat lifting rather than the whole seat !!

The Petrol engine is adequately responsive, however the Deisel one better. Both the engines cannot be heard OR felt while in the idle rpm. You cannot even make out if the car is ON or OFF when at stand-still !!

Rear seat is a let-down. With 3 adults in the rear, only the middle passenger can use the head-rest, since the other 2 have to slightly swivel from their straight seating position to accomodate the middle person.

Most Viewed