Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 9th July 2013, 22:12   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Azure Grey Maruti Suzuki SX4 ZXi (1.6 VVT) comes home!!

Hi Guys

Just had a small query regarding fuel. Recently I visited Lavasa and had gone to a petrol station to fill up the tank. The pump attendant told me that he did not have 'saada' petrol but had Power petrol only (which I think is petrol mixed with certain additives). A friend of mine had also come to that fuel station and refused to fill up because he did not want to mix normal petrol (which was already in his tank) and Power petrol.

I fail to understand what the deal was with mixing both types of petrol. I was running low on petrol so just filled it up. Is there anything to be concerned about mixing both kinds of petrol? I drove all the way back to Mumbai and did not encounter any issues but just wanted to confirm whether there is anything to be concerned about OR my friend just had a misconception?
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2013, 22:45   #32
BHPian

Nothing to be concerned as the basic fuel is the same but power comes with MFA. These so called multi functional additives would need atleast one full tank full to work. Mixing it in between with regular petrol would not cause harm. Your friend probably wanted to save some money by not opting for power.
Ford5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 12:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys

Just had a small query regarding fuel. Recently I visited Lavasa and had gone to a petrol station to fill up the tank. The pump attendant told me that he did not have 'saada' petrol but had Power petrol only (which I think is petrol mixed with certain additives). A friend of mine had also come to that fuel station and refused to fill up because he did not want to mix normal petrol (which was already in his tank) and Power petrol.

I fail to understand what the deal was with mixing both types of petrol. I was running low on petrol so just filled it up. Is there anything to be concerned about mixing both kinds of petrol? I drove all the way back to Mumbai and did not encounter any issues but just wanted to confirm whether there is anything to be concerned about OR my friend just had a misconception?

Hi Saanil- to answer your question technically, Gasolines are rated based on octane. In most areas of the country our regular gasoline is 87 octane, midgrade is 89 and premium is 91 – 93. If you check your owner’s manual, you’ll find the recommended level for your engine.

The recommended level is often 87 octane. Some models have high compression engines which are designed to utilize the octane levels of 89, 91 or higher. These being the one's of BMW, Audi, Volvo or Mercedes, etc

Ordinarily, our vehicles will not benefit from using a higher octane than is recommended in the owner's manual. Meaning our Honda's/Maruti/Hyundai/Ford, etc... Unless your engine is 3000 cc or higher.

There is a general misconception that using higher Octane Fuel will yield better fuel efficiency figures. However, it doesn't hold true.

Now coming to your question of mixing normal fuel with high octane fuel, it does not adversly affect the car, but it does not positively impact any way on the performance of the car...
sawnilrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2013, 13:49   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Nothing to be concerned as the basic fuel is the same but power comes with MFA.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawnilrules View Post
Now coming to your question of mixing normal fuel with high octane fuel, it does not adversly affect the car, but it does not positively impact any way on the performance of the car...
Thanks a lot guys for answering me in such detail. This is exactly what I wanted to know - I do not mind if I do not get any extra benefit but the different fuel should not harm the engine. I will pass on this knowledge to my friend too.
Old 24th December 2013, 10:41   #35
BHPian

Hello,

For the past few days, while driving there was a constant sound coming from the right front tyre. I gave it to a service centre and I was told that a small metal part of the brake pad is touching the front disc brake and is causing that noise. He told me to change brake pads and the disc and says that wear and tear is not covered in warranty.

Do brake pads wear out so fast? My car has done 25.3k kms and I do not have an idea whether it is normal or is it too early? Also is it true that brake pads are not covered in warranty? He told me that since this is related to wear and tear (depending on the driving style of people) it is not covered under warranty. I do not mind that but just wanted to make sure that the service centre is not taking me for a ride. Please let me know…I will post the pictures of the brake pads replaced as soon as I get them.
Old 24th December 2013, 17:47   #36
BHPian

So the car is back from the service centre and I had to shell out Rs 5.6k for the replacements (bill screenshot below). I am also attaching the parts which were replaced. I would like to know they indeed needed replacement.

Name:  20131224_172244 800x600.jpg
Views: 936
Size:  311.1 KB

Name:  20131224_172308 800x600.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  307.7 KB

Name:  20131224_172315 800x600.jpg
Views: 927
Size:  259.6 KB

Name:  20131224_172344 800x600.jpg
Views: 928
Size:  327.5 KB

Name:  20131224_172355 800x600.jpg
Views: 985
Size:  341.7 KB

Name:  20131224_172403 800x600.jpg
Views: 903
Size:  297.1 KB

Name:  20131224_172413 800x600.jpg
Views: 889
Size:  335.0 KB

Name:  20131224_172439 800x600.jpg
Views: 879
Size:  263.1 KB

Name:  20131224_172455 800x600.jpg
Views: 863
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  20131224_173628 800x600.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  241.7 KB
Old 2nd February 2014, 12:54   #37
BHPian

why have they billed you a brake cleaner spray when the invoice states that they have billed you a new pair of discs? Or are they claiming to have used it on rear drums? It smells bad here :P
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd February 2014, 13:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Hi Guys

The oil companies give a margin to the dealers when they sell a liter of premium petrol than the ordinary petrol. Hence dealers are more inclined to sell them. However in busy pumps in the city, no body of the dealer actually spends time to convince a customer of its benefits as the pumps are always crowded.

Technically, the "power" petrol (its HP trade name, BP its speed and IOC its Xtra premium) is a mix of surfactant additives that help in keep clean or cleaning the engine internals of combustion residuals & carbon.

High Octane petrol is sold separately as 93 Octane and 98 Octane. This too come under the premium fuels, but is available only in Metros and some major cities due to logistic issues. These fuels are a separate blend off the refinery and hence need to be handled separately giving rise to logistic issues to the oil companies.
gopa99 is offline   Reply With Quote