Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th June 2011, 10:07   #151
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing home the Fluidic Verna CRDi SX(O)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
I have done the sound system upgrade, that you can find elsewhere on this thread. Two amplifiers, a pair of coaxial speakers and a pair of component speakers, plus a bass tube.
Thanks, I found your earlier post. Please could you tell me if you installed the coax in your rear door (were they 6X9s)? Also where did you put your amps in the boot or under the seats?
Chrome6Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 12:12   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Thanks, I found your earlier post. Please could you tell me if you installed the coax in your rear door (were they 6X9s)? Also where did you put your amps in the boot or under the seats?
Yes, the coax are in the rear doors. The amps sit under either front seats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidic_fan View Post
Thanks. Did you go for CR, RE or CS series?. You went for 60 percent VLT for front windshield as well as sides and rear? Can you please elaborate. It will help. Thanks in advance.
They are CS Series, and the windscreen has a clear type sun-shield.
---------------------------------- ----------------------------------

9000 km Update

* The car would be due for its second service in another 1000 kms. F.E. has only improved in the city ,but on the highway it's been the same ~ 20 kmpl.

* I am encountering a strange problem off-late. While I play songs through my iPod touch in the car, after every 3-4 songs the source automatically changes to either CD or FM. I need to hit AUX again to switch back to iPod. I have checked the cable, and they seem to be running fine in my other car. The iPod is on the Random mode all the time. Any suggestions?

* The RHS wiper has given up on some rubber. Second service needs to sort this out, or probably even before that. The monsoons have hit Surat now.

* I have not seen the beige interiors or leather getting soiled over 9000 kms of ownership. It was something I was worried about, but not anymore!

* No rattles, no other noises or niggles. Pretty smooth ownership up till now. I am also glad I didn't wait for new Fiesta, as it has disappointed me a lot.
mathranik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 20:14   #153
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
9000 km Update

* The car would be due for its second service in another 1000 kms. F.E. has only improved in the city ,but on the highway it's been the same ~ 20 kmpl.
Man you are munching miles as if the world is going to end. 9K already in less than 2 months, that is some fanatic driving. Anyways good highway FE of 20kmpl, what are the city FE figures?

Quote:
No rattles, no other noises or niggles. Pretty smooth ownership up till now. I am also glad I didn't wait for new Fiesta, as it has disappointed me a lot.
Hope all your issues get sorted out at the 10K service. Please keep us updated on that front
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 18:16   #154
BHPian

@mathranik: many congrats on your ANHV. hope you are gobbling up many more miles. I personally rate your positive comments on the ANHV high as you have other (diesel?) cars from other manufacturers in your garage.

Drive safe!
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 18:49   #155
BHPian

Hi Mathranik!

I'm sure you're busy crunching miles in your white beauty My white beauty has arrived home and is serving me well.

I have a couple of questions for you since you are the only person here who has done an audio upgrade.

1- How are the Pre-outs arranged? Front/Rear or Front and Rear/Sub.

2- Currently there is no discernible rear fill. If I keep the fader at R6, I can start to hear the rear speakers but notice an exponential drop in the front speaker audio quality. Did the rear fill improve considerably after changing the speakers? I'm happy with the front speakers for now. But would like for ample fill from the rear as well.

Any tips on the audio upgrade? Anything you're not happy with and would change?

Thanks in advance!

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 25th July 2011 at 18:53.
Tassem is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 09:29   #156
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

9000 km Update
Congratulations on your purchase Mathranik! You have written a very detailed and nice ownership report

Could you post a interior shot of the dashboard at night with all the buttons lights on? I have seen the i20's blue/white lighting and its absolutely stunning at night.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 22:21   #157
BHPian

Hi All,

Great forum indeed. Quite informative as well. Need your support as I am amidst a pool of confusion. Have booked 1.6 CRDI SX which is likely to be delivered in mid August. Though my usage ( 10,000 K.M. per annum) do not justify a diesel, but I am keen to take a diesel this time for the wonderful torque they provide. I feel, now a days diesels provide much better driving pleasure than their equivalent petrols. Again diesel power can very easily be boosted further with a tuning kit with little more investment, not so for a petrol. I was happily waiting for my turn to come for taking delivery of the Verna till I read so many horror stories in various auto mags, websites etc. August issue of Autocar has brought a comparative test of similar diesels i.e Verna, new Fiesta, SX4, Linea & Vento. They have rated the steering & body control of Verna as "poor"( among ratings of poor, fair, good & excellent). I do n't remember any modern car rated as 'poor' ever by Autocar in any of the departments. Please help me & clarify my following doubts.

1. Poor handling- How poor is this. I love to drive as fast as I can on open highways depending on the density of traffic. Till what speed one feel confident in a verna? I have driven perceived poor handlers like i-20 CRDI & Vista quadrajet diesel and have taken both of them to 140 kmph with out any fuss. Is Verna poorer to even i-20 & Vista.
2. Poor ground clerance- Hyundai has not made if official till now. Some where I have read that the GC is 165 mm, which I thought is pretty decent. Some have opined that the GC is less than Honda City. In my home town, ANHC( AT) of my friend invariably scrapes few medium sized speed breakers which are passed over by other cars quite comfortably. If Verna has lesser GC, it would pose serious problems in my home town. Knowing GC of cars as claimed by thier manufactures in numeric terms does not always help. Need to understand more from practical users of the Verna.

If ANHV is miserable in above two fields then I have to cancell my booking & would look for alternatives. Looking forward for your advice plz.

Cheers

C. Pradhan
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 22:51   #158
BHPian

@Chitta:

1 - Its not poor. Its comparatively poor. I've driven mine at 140kmph and didn't find anything worth complaining. You need to keep in mind that there aren't many highways where you can maintain this speed either. On undulated roads the ride is bouncy if fully loaded. But its not as bad as the media makes it out to be.

2 - Ground clearance is fine but I think its the suspension that causes the car to scrape. I've scraped the bottom a couple of times on humps my lancer can easily take. But only while fully loaded. While driving alone, I haven't experienced this.

I don't think either of these are reasons to cancel your booking. This is one car you will love from day one.

A strong suggestion I can make is to take the car for an extended test drive and try out a couple of turns and speed humps. That's a better review than any magazine can ever give you.

Last edited by Tassem : 27th July 2011 at 23:13.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 03:09   #159
BHPian

Welcome to the forum Chitta. It is a wonderful place. I had TD the Fluidic Verna and posted a fairly detailed report which you may find useful.
Link : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2413120 (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
They have rated the steering & body control of Verna as "poor"( among ratings of poor, fair, good & excellent). I do n't remember any modern car rated as 'poor' ever by Autocar in any of the departments. Please help me & clarify my following doubts.

1. Poor handling- How poor is this. I love to drive as fast as I can on open highways depending on the density of traffic. Till what speed one feel confident in a verna? I have driven perceived poor handlers like i-20 CRDI & Vista quadrajet diesel and have taken both of them to 140 kmph with out any fuss. Is Verna poorer to even i-20 & Vista.
Hope you would not mind my comments.
Mate, one can drive any car to it's top speed. Driving the i-20 to 140kmph (or to their top speed for that matter) really should not be the criteria. How safe the car is at those speeds is. How much in control it is likely to remain in tight/bad situations is the key. The Fluidic seems to have a gem of an engine which would race up easily. The high speed handling did seem pretty iffy to me.

Quote:
2. Poor ground clerance- Hyundai has not made if official till now. Some where I have read that the GC is 165 mm, which I thought is pretty decent. Some have opined that the GC is less than Honda City. In my home town, ANHC( AT) of my friend invariably scrapes few medium sized speed breakers which are passed over by other cars quite comfortably. If Verna has lesser GC, it would pose serious problems in my home town. Knowing GC of cars as claimed by thier manufactures in numeric terms does not always help. Need to understand more from practical users of the Verna.
Besides the GC figures what would also affect scarping would be the Wheelbase and how soft the suspension is. A softer suspension would sink in lower on more load. I have no figures, but from the ride, this car surely did seem to have a soft suspension. Others who own the car, should be able to add value here.
[/quote]

Quote:
Though my usage ( 10,000 K.M. per annum) do not justify a diesel, but I am keen to take a diesel this time for the wonderful torque they provide. I feel, now a days diesels provide much better driving pleasure than their equivalent petrols. Again diesel power can very easily be boosted further with a tuning kit with little more investment, not so for a petrol.
It owning the newest car and lots of gizmos is not high on your priority list, for serious torque at around this price point, you must must test drive the Otpra Magnum (300NM+ Torque). It really is a beast. Searching this forum would help you learn more about it, though a TD is what is convincing.

@Fluidic lovers, please don't kill me for my comments. They are just the opinion of an individual (me). I do find this a wonderful car for city drives, without pushing it much and is probably the easiest diesel to drive and surely has a very good engine.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 06:48   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,
Great forum indeed.

IMO, the thing about bad handling in Hyundais is a little exaggerated in the media drives. Let us just get one thing clear buddy. See, most of these people who test-drive cars are enthusiasts who love to push the car to the limits. For people like them, yes, the Hyundai Verna (and for that matter, the Santro, i20, old Verna, etc.) are all poor handlers. But, for an average driver, who occasionally pushes the car to speeds like 150 kph, the car does make a good choice.

You are not going to corner in at such speeds day in and day out, in which case, you will be better off in a Fiesta, City or Vento. For all other practical reasons, the Verna is a good buy. More than anything else, you will understand how good it is to drive the new Verna (and almost all Hyundais) inside the city. It is a total breeze and you almost feel as if you are driving an Alto-like car.

IIRC, even the Accent had the problem of low ground clearance and I have seen many Accents scrape their bottoms in speed-breakers and slightly big potholes. So, I guess, the low ground clearance is a inherent problem that has just been carried over to the new Verna. If at all, take consolation from Civic and City owners across the forum and be happy that the Verna is not as bad as the Civic or even the City when it comes to scraping the bottom.

If ANHV is miserable in above two fields then I have to cancell my booking & would look for alternatives. Looking forward for your advice plz.

IMO, the above two problems are not so bad as to make you cancel your booking. But again, I would like you to take a long test-drive again in the New Verna and then decide whether to go in with the booking or not based on how confident and stable you feel at high speeds.

Cheers
I hope this clears your doubt to an extent. Do take a test-drive though and come back to the forum with what you felt about the car.
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 10:03   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Hi All,

Great forum indeed. Quite informative as well. Need your support as I am amidst a pool of confusion. Have booked 1.6 CRDI SX which is likely to be delivered in mid August. Though my usage ( 10,000 K.M. per annum) do not justify a diesel, but I am keen to take a diesel this time for the wonderful torque they provide. I feel, now a days diesels provide much better driving pleasure than their equivalent petrols. Again diesel power can very easily be boosted further with a tuning kit with little more investment, not so for a petrol. I was happily waiting for my turn to come for taking delivery of the Verna till I read so many horror stories in various auto mags, websites etc. August issue of Autocar has brought a comparative test of similar diesels i.e Verna, new Fiesta, SX4, Linea & Vento. They have rated the steering & body control of Verna as "poor"( among ratings of poor, fair, good & excellent). I do n't remember any modern car rated as 'poor' ever by Autocar in any of the departments. Please help me & clarify my following doubts.

Cheers

C. Pradhan
For the kind of priorities you have, i suggest you strongly look at the Vento.
There are certain omissions like Bluetooth connectivity, USB/Aux Controls & steering mounted audio controls but in key areas like Ride, handling, high-speed stability and rear seat space it distinctly scores over the ANHV. Moreover, the torque is readily available and you'll enjoy spirited drives. If i remember correctly you won't face the problem of under-body scraping in the Vento. This can be further clarified by a Vento owner.
gaurav911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 22:33   #162
BHPian

Hi!

Overwhelmed by your prompt response. These are extremely useful indeed.

Now let me open up a bit. Started the car hunt at a round about budget of 10 L OTR, though had to stretch it upto 10.41 L for booking the Verna 1.6 CRDI SX. Am open to diesels, petrols, hatches & sedans. Priorities in order are:

1. Quiet cabin

2. Easy to drive with light controls & easy maneuverability in side city.

3. Power with some reserve to spare- by that what I mean is almost every car in my budget can do & stay for hours at around 120 kmph on highways. We very often come across quality roads with light traffic and the boy racer within us suddenly awakens & pushes the right foot to the metal. The car struggles, roars, screams, take hours much to the dissapintment of the boy-racer to reach a speed of say 140 kmph. I want power which can take the car say from 120 to 150 kmph effortlessly & without any complaint.

4. Fun/enjoyable to drive.

5. Good A.C.

6. Good A.S.S.

I am not a fan of gizmos & want to have a car and a car only. If get some gizmos, would consider them as bonus.

Considered the following cars & took TDs in showroom/friend's/ relative's car. Find my brief observations & plz. do correct me if I am wrong or if you have a different experience.

1. Vento-diesel : Am 5'9", wt- 76 kg. Could not find a comfortable sitting position as my left knee was continuously brushing against the central console. A design fault. Engine far too coarse, rest ok.

2. Optra Magnum- The top end is cheaper than Verna SX by around 25K after discounts. Clattery initially. Got refined afterwards.Cabin of Verna is more silent. Would not term the pulling power as extra ordinary even after 2000 rpm, though enough. Expected more from 120 bhp & 320 odd nm torque. Probably weight of the car @ 1370 kg. had a role to play. It did feel classy with excellent & pliant ride. Steering feel was very good too.

3.Friend's i-20 CRDI- It was a 1.5 yr. old car, 5 gear, done 35 k. The feeling of power in turbo zone was the most in this car among the tested ones. Would have booked this, but could not because of the weak A.C. Has the current i-20 CRDI has a better A.C.???

4. Figo -D: Very coarse engine. Even Vista TDI is more silent inside the cabin.

5. Swift-D: ( relative's): 6 month old, done 10k. Quietness was not upto my liking. Struggles to move beyound 120 kmph. Pulling power was 2nd to i-20 in turbo zone.

6. SX-4 diesel- Smooth to start with. Like Swift, struggles beyound 120-125 kmph.

7. Honda City & Jazz : Smooth engines, dated dash. The most irritating about these cars is the service interval i.e 5000 k.m. or 3 months which ever is earlier. The workshop is at 250 km from my home town. In 3 months, I will do approx. 2500 k.m. but still need to service the car. Why Honda cars requires so frequent service??

8. Punto 90 hp quadrajat- Extremely niosy initially & while revving, slow pickup. Good A.C., confidence inspiring at speeds.

9. Fabia- diesel- Comfortable to drive, slow pick up, refinement not matching my requirement.

10. Verna 1.6 CRDI- TD car was not available in Diesel. Could manage to drive one for a short distance that was ready for delivery to a customer. Liked it. Most silent car, more silent than Optra Magnum, easy controls, very easy to drive. Could not test at speeds. However, petrol TD car was available. Took a spin & could be able to take it to 110 kmph only due to the traffic condition. No handling issues felt which is the most talked about. Higher speed should be more revealing.

Overall, thought Verna 1.6 CRDI will be the best compromise & booked one.

Your clarifications on my apprehensions of lower GC & poor handling are encouraging me to retain my booking & not to cancel the same.

One more clarification

Is it required to correct the steering constantly like in a Wagon-R to keep the car in a straight line or in the desired direction at speeds????? If that is so, I will feel all my 10.41 L has been waisted. I can live with all other demerits of Verna but not with this one.

Please guide & thanks in advance.

Regards,

C Pradhan
Chitta Pradhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2011, 23:43   #163
BHPian

Chitta,

I think you're better off opening a new thread for your query as it would seriously detract from the original post here.

If budget is a concern, I think you can't go wrong with the Optra price offered to you. That's a lot of car for that price But I still stand by my original suggestion. Don't cancel your booking. This car is worth the wait.

Quote:
Is it required to correct the steering constantly like in a Wagon-R to keep the car in a straight line or in the desired direction at speeds????? If that is so, I will feel all my 10.41 L has been waisted. I can live with all other demerits of Verna but not with this one.
C Pradhan
No. The car can hold a line. It's just bouncy on undulated roads at speeds above 120.

Tassem.

Last edited by Tassem : 28th July 2011 at 23:50.
Tassem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 14:51   #164
BHPian

Mathranik
One qq mate, you mention OTR Surat - 11,36,000 with 3rd year extended warranty ? is this correct as today i booked CRDI 1.6 SX in bangalore and cost me 1,149,369..(although i am from surat too)
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 14:53   #165
BHPian

Source... Advaith Hyundai Web Showroom :: New Hyundai Verna Preview
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote