Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th August 2011, 15:44   #166
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing home the Fluidic Verna CRDi SX(O)

Had a chance to drive my friend's 1.6 diesel ANHV yesterday. And boy, it was fun. Could only drive the car for 3-4 kms on mostly straight sections, so cannot comment much on the handling and cornering abilities. Suspension setup was on the softer side and bumps were well negotiated without any fuss. NVH was very well controlled. Hard to tell its a diesel.

The initial pep beyond 1800 rpm and progress thereafter was amazing. The massive torque was evident and the car was eager to respond to the slight touch on the pedal. There was the slightest turbo lag in the sub 1800 rpm range. For an average driver who does not push the car on corners, the ANHV seems like a good package with all the bells and whistles and the responsive CRDI engine.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 16:04   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Had a chance to drive my friend's 1.6 diesel ANHV yesterday. And boy, it was fun. Could only drive the car for 3-4 kms on mostly straight sections, so cannot comment much on the handling and cornering abilities. Suspension setup was on the softer side and bumps were well negotiated without any fuss. NVH was very well controlled. Hard to tell its a diesel.
This one seems to have a wonderful engine.

About the handling, we have had a report of it being easily stiffened to make it handle better. Thought I should put it up here, just in case some fellows missed it on the Verna thread.

Linky: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2480023
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 19:05   #168

Finally! Had a tough choice! Booked the Verna SX 1.6. They say it will take 6 months Delivery time! :( Expecting a lot to do!
A Few things that I notice about this car.
Pros
Amazing power for a diesel.
Very smooth, does not feel diesel.
Loads of features.

Cons
Hate the bump on the back seat.
Hate the Wood Grain Finishes. Some people like it. But if you've seen the Altis Finish. It is much more elegant and sleek.
Hate the controls finish on the Steering. They could have been fitted better.
People are talking about the bounce on high speeds. Cannot comment on this.

I'm totally convinced as I was looking for a powerful diesel and a decent car!
spirits999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 19:56   #169
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits999 View Post
People are talking about the bounce on high speeds. Cannot comment on this.
Is it because you could not get a good enough test drive? I thought it wasn't as much of an issue anymore.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:18   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Is it because you could not get a good enough test drive? I thought it wasn't as much of an issue anymore.
Yups mostly! Hmm! I hope it isnt an issue. I read someone tightening the suspension. If that works it would be the icieng!
Old 26th August 2011, 14:59   #171
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirits999 View Post
Yups mostly! Hmm! I hope it isnt an issue. I read someone tightening the suspension. If that works it would be the icieng!
Oh mate! Come on! Do yourself a favour and get a 'proper' test drive, mate. You are spending about 10 'petis' on it. They'd better offer you a good one - they can't say that you are a non-serious customer!! Better safe now, than sorry later. Get to know what you are going in for.
Old 26th August 2011, 15:37   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Oh mate! Come on! Do yourself a favour and get a 'proper' test drive, mate. You are spending about 10 'petis' on it. They'd better offer you a good one - they can't say that you are a non-serious customer!! Better safe now, than sorry later. Get to know what you are going in for.
Sure mate! I would have! But its not really a major concern for me! I asked a few friends who own one. And they are fine with it! It is not a serious issue!
Old 29th August 2011, 22:25   #173
BHPian

Talking Re: Bringing home the Fluidic Verna CRDi SX(O)

Congrats on your new ANHV.

BOOKING A ANHV
Planned on buying a new car a month back after a lot of confusion, did manage to stick to the plan of buying one. Went through a lot of reviews on the forum and thought of buying a hatch , test drive the new swift at Jaikrishnaa, Coimbatore. Took them less then 5 minutes to get me the car key from the time i entered. Took it for a spin. Really liked the car ( Cannot write about the test drive here , ill do at appropriate thread ). Got fixed and was planning to book as i looked at the ANHV on the thread, thought i should take a check on it before i book this car. Walked in to Chandra Hyundai showroom on a sunday afternoon. It was silent with no customers around. Immediately took the ANHV for a drive.

As i had a look at the car, fell in love with all the curves. It didn't look like a Korean design at all. Was completely surprised/Impressed by its external looks. The Beige Interiors looked big or it at least appeared big due to the light colour. Took the car for a ride and felt so connected to the machine. Didn't really want to part with it. So, finally i bought this idea of going for a sedan.

Now having fixed on this , all that was worrying me was the waiting period. Finally, i spoke to the other dealer in the city "Suryabala Hyundai", Coimbatore. The sales people didn't want to really commit a date. Finally i had to get an assurance from them that they would get me a car in ASAP ( Didn't have choice ).

Booked it on 27th August 2011. Hoping to see my baby (ASAP)
capt.chandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 08:38   #174
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt.chandru View Post
Booked it on 27th August 2011. Hoping to see my baby (ASAP)
Congratulations Capt.Chandru. Which model of ANHV did you book & which colour? What is the tentative delivery date?
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:59   #175
BHPian

Two months from the date of booking, some back door process - believe my cousins friend is canceling his booking due to time delay so might get it earlier.
It's a white 1.6 CRDI SX.
capt.chandru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:34   #176
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Congratulations Capt.Chandru. Which model of ANHV did you book & which colour? What is the tentative delivery date?
I booked ANHV 1.6 White on 20th Aug and delivery date i was told 3-4 months.. (Bangalore)

Thx,
Tushar
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:03   #177
BHPian

Sorry for being away from the thread for a bit too long, and never noticed the posts here. Elsewhere on this forum, a lot of you might have gone through the ordeal I had to go through with my Indigo eCS and its bonnet flying open. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-now-what.html (Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?)

This is a 17,500 km update, with the third service knocking on the doors - almost. It is needless to say that the ANHV has grown upon me really well, what with all the miles (kms) it has been munching away!

I noticed, today, in this thread about what vroom barabar has done to his Verna's suspension. This would be my top priority the next time my car visits the service center. The super soft suspension is the only real fault I have found with the car.

Other than that, I have a nagging rattle that has been bugging me, from the rear left door panel. Trust me, it is annoying! I suppose it might have something to do with the after-market speakers that I got installed. Or... something else, maybe.

Very praise-worthy is the ANHV's built quality, as I have had nothing going wrong with anything - no other rattles, no electrical problems (as yet), no fogging of headlamps/tail-lamps (through 75 inches of South Gujarat monsoons).. touch wood. I understand, nothing is supposed to go wrong with a relatively new car - but then, I have had awful experiences with Tatas, Hyundais and other manufacturers, in the recent past. Kudos to Hyundai.

Which brings me to my next opinion-query - Synthetic or regular oil @ 20,000 km service? I know, it is a never-ending debate, but what would be a popular opinion here? Please advise.

One last opinion required - If I wish to swap the OE audio Head-unit for an after-market touchscreen Navigation unit, would it be a wise idea? Would it render my steering controls useless? I am ready to spend anywhere around 30,000/- for the same.

Thanks!
mathranik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:27   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassem View Post
Hi Mathranik!

I'm sure you're busy crunching miles in your white beauty My white beauty has arrived home and is serving me well.

I have a couple of questions for you since you are the only person here who has done an audio upgrade.

1- How are the Pre-outs arranged? Front/Rear or Front and Rear/Sub.

2- Currently there is no discernible rear fill. If I keep the fader at R6, I can start to hear the rear speakers but notice an exponential drop in the front speaker audio quality. Did the rear fill improve considerably after changing the speakers? I'm happy with the front speakers for now. But would like for ample fill from the rear as well.

Any tips on the audio upgrade? Anything you're not happy with and would change?

Thanks in advance!

Tassem.
If I am not mistaken, it is front and rear (Sub). If you have the OE speakers at the moment, I am afraid you would not be too happy with the sound quality, if you like your music. The first thing I did after getting the car was to upgrade the speakers.

I suggest you go for components in the front and 6 x 9 at the rear. If you like your bass, I suggest a Blaupunkt bass tube. And a 4-channel amplifier.

I am contemplating a new Head unit too, one with navigation. Let's see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
@mathranik: many congrats on your ANHV. hope you are gobbling up many more miles. I personally rate your positive comments on the ANHV high as you have other (diesel?) cars from other manufacturers in your garage.

Drive safe!
I own an Innova, Manza and Indigo CS and a Tavera (all diesel), other than the ANHV. WRT quality and built, I would rather this Hyundai right at par with the Toyota, no less!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi All,

Great forum indeed. Quite informative as well. Need your support as I am amidst a pool of confusion. Have booked 1.6 CRDI SX which is likely to be delivered in mid August. Though my usage ( 10,000 K.M. per annum) do not justify a diesel, but I am keen to take a diesel this time for the wonderful torque they provide. I feel, now a days diesels provide much better driving pleasure than their equivalent petrols. Again diesel power can very easily be boosted further with a tuning kit with little more investment, not so for a petrol. I was happily waiting for my turn to come for taking delivery of the Verna till I read so many horror stories in various auto mags, websites etc. August issue of Autocar has brought a comparative test of similar diesels i.e Verna, new Fiesta, SX4, Linea & Vento. They have rated the steering & body control of Verna as "poor"( among ratings of poor, fair, good & excellent). I do n't remember any modern car rated as 'poor' ever by Autocar in any of the departments. Please help me & clarify my following doubts.

1. Poor handling- How poor is this. I love to drive as fast as I can on open highways depending on the density of traffic. Till what speed one feel confident in a verna? I have driven perceived poor handlers like i-20 CRDI & Vista quadrajet diesel and have taken both of them to 140 kmph with out any fuss. Is Verna poorer to even i-20 & Vista.
2. Poor ground clerance- Hyundai has not made if official till now. Some where I have read that the GC is 165 mm, which I thought is pretty decent. Some have opined that the GC is less than Honda City. In my home town, ANHC( AT) of my friend invariably scrapes few medium sized speed breakers which are passed over by other cars quite comfortably. If Verna has lesser GC, it would pose serious problems in my home town. Knowing GC of cars as claimed by thier manufactures in numeric terms does not always help. Need to understand more from practical users of the Verna.

If ANHV is miserable in above two fields then I have to cancell my booking & would look for alternatives. Looking forward for your advice plz.

Cheers

C. Pradhan
Suspension is not a strong point for ANHV. That said, it is not miserable by any stretch of imagination. From what I last heard, tweaking and stiffening it is possible too. Besides, 17,000 kms into my ownership, I have had nary a problem with the suspension, of course other than getting a bouncy bump a few (read - less than 10) times. But then, I live in Gujarat - a state that boasts of the finest road network in the country.

Steering is a charm , at least for me. The lighter it is, the more convenient - but I am talking for myself. Even at 120 kmph, it is amply responsive to NOT feel lifeless. For people, who drive like rally drivers, and love their corners (and ghats), I guess this car wouldn't whet their appetites. But, if we are looking for a balanced family car, with four adults being transported in relative comfort, and the driver getting his/her share of horses (128 in this case), with enough bells and whistles to keep you happy and keep the car far from being obsolete in the next couple of years, this is the car to buy today.
Oh, and safety - we feel the safest in this car on long drives, out of all that we own. Relative, again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post

The initial pep beyond 1800 rpm and progress thereafter was amazing. The massive torque was evident and the car was eager to respond to the slight touch on the pedal. There was the slightest turbo lag in the sub 1800 rpm range. For an average driver who does not push the car on corners, the ANHV seems like a good package with all the bells and whistles and the responsive CRDI engine.
And I am very surprised when people go on to say that ANHV is 'very slow' when compared to Vento. I am no racer, nor do I have figures to support my claim, but from a couple of my highway experiences, I feel this car is quicker (and faster) than Vento. I might be wrong, but then so are those who say ANHV is much slower than the VW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tushargohil View Post
Mathranik
One qq mate, you mention OTR Surat - 11,36,000 with 3rd year extended warranty ? is this correct as today i booked CRDI 1.6 SX in bangalore and cost me 1,149,369..(although i am from surat too)
I suppose there is a difference in the road tax, when you buy it in Bangalore vis-a-vis Surat? Or, are you saying you booked the car in Surat?

I know one particular dealer in Surat who 'adds' accessories worth 14k to the OTR price. Extremely valuable stuff like floor mats, mud flaps, Ganesh ji murti (!!!), teflon coating.... lol!
mathranik is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 10:58   #179
BHPian

Quote:
I suppose there is a difference in the road tax, when you buy it in Bangalore vis-a-vis Surat? Or, are you saying you booked the car in Surat?

I know one particular dealer in Surat who 'adds' accessories worth 14k to the OTR price. Extremely valuable stuff like floor mats, mud flaps, Ganesh ji murti (!!!), teflon coating.... lol!
I booked ANHV in Bangalore and Paid 80k EXTRA.
Tushargohil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th September 2011, 11:20   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathranik View Post
Sorry for being away from the thread for a bit too long, and never noticed the posts here. Elsewhere on this forum, a lot of you might have gone through the ordeal I had to go through with my Indigo eCS and its bonnet flying open. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...-now-what.html (Bonnet flies open in my new Tata Indigo CS and shatters the windscreen - now what?)
Good to see you back Mathranik & the incident with yout eCS is really very unfortunate.

Quote:
This is a 17,500 km update, with the third service knocking on the doors - almost. It is needless to say that the ANHV has grown upon me really well, what with all the miles (kms) it has been munching away!
Please keep updating this thread at regular intervals. We really look forward to your updates as this is one of the pioneering threads on ANHV & lot of decisions on to-buy or not-to-buy the ANHV would be based on this thread.

Quote:
Which brings me to my next opinion-query - Synthetic or regular oil @ 20,000 km service? I know, it is a never-ending debate, but what would be a popular opinion here? Please advise.
What is the oil change interval for ANHV? If the car manual does not mention synthetic oil (SO), then you would be better off replacing it with mineral oil (MO). Assuming that SO costs 4 times more than MO & oil change interval for SO is 20K kms, for MO is 10K kms, it would be advisable to go for MO at 10K or lesser intervals (7.5K). I believe GTO replaces his engine oil every 7.5K kms (not sure whether it is SO or MO though)
AutoIndian is offline   Reply With Quote