Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st November 2011, 19:31   #91
BHPian

Default Re: Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi

@blackdiesel, superb photos of the black diesel!! Loved the ones with the vast backdrops. And that Witson looks great! Need to meet up to see it. I've been looking around for a good music HU and not bee satisfied with all the available options.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2011, 23:27   #92
BHPian

Great pics blackdiesel. I never that this will fit into Vento well. I'm wrong, it looks great.

Also, I'm still contemplating whether to go for reverse sensors or not. Just wondering, won't a reverse camera be sufficient to do the job?

@ventolute, thanks for correcting me.
sith_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 05:38   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
After waiting & searching for a long time, I finally bought a Witson D9235V model for Vento.

I ordered it directly from here after paying through PayPal for $334 to Witson's account (approx INR 17,000/- after foreign exchange conversions) to a Hong Kong friend's address. My friend brought it back to Bangalore.
May i ask you how did you order this, did you do it via any website or over telephone. I found a site that sells the same one, but the cost is $500. I am planning to source one of this for the Rapid. Please throw some more light on how to order this.

Also what i found interesting with this particular unit was, it has an option to set either skoda or VW logo and back-light settings. Can you confirm this. Sorry for troubling you too much, but a picture showing the skoda back-light and logo would be really nice .

Thanks
Th!ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 10:51   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopSpeeder View Post
Wow, What a perfect fit?. Congrats
Screen looks large.
Also did you explored Witson D9240?
Thanks.
Yes. I had couple of chats with the Witson's executive (Ms. Anna) on Skype asking the difference b/w the three models available for Polo/Vento.

D723V - The first one that was tried on Polo & Vento which many people bought on TBHP. This was of course good. But by the time I started thinking about Witson, there was this new launch.

D9235V - This was a new launch for VW brand cars & I was still wondering if I should go for this, as it was new & had not been tried by anyone on TBHP. Anna gave some explanation that this is an improved version over D723V wrt firmware & hardware. This costs USD 315 if bought within China/Hong Kong & through Western Union.

D9240V - By the time I arranged for the purchase, I was surprised to see this new model & again checked with her asking which is Witson's top-most model for VW. This costs USD 270 if bought within China/Hong Kong & through Western Union.

I compared 9235 & [COLOR=inherit]9240 in[/COLOR] detail. Advantage in 9240 is that the micro SD card for GPS takes upto 16 GB (4GB in 9235), has USB port even on the front side (not there in 9235).

But 9235 is having more features: mainly the [COLOR=inherit]8 inch[/COLOR] screen ([COLOR=inherit]7 inch[/COLOR] in 9240), it can download contacts (9240 doesnt have this feature; though as I see now, even 9235 doesnt download the address book as a whole), has better TV tuner capabilities (not of much use anyway), has PIP feature, has an extra External Mic for phone-calling, also has a 4.1 channel output (allows to have a subwoofer; 9240 doesnt have this).

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
@blackdiesel, superb photos of the black diesel!! Loved the ones with the vast backdrops. And that Witson looks great! Need to meet up to see it. I've been looking around for a good music HU and not bee satisfied with all the available options.
Thanks. Sure we can meet on some weekend. It will be my pleasure to give a demo. I will PM you my number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sith_lord View Post
Great pics blackdiesel. I never that this will fit into Vento well. I'm wrong, it looks great.

Also, I'm still contemplating whether to go for reverse sensors or not. Just wondering, won't a reverse camera be sufficient to do the job?

@ventolute, thanks for correcting me.
Yup. I suppose 9235 model is first on TBHP. I actually took a little risk in ordering it, as I didnt know if there was any change in the hardware size & if it fits Vento perfectly. I just ordered it after chatting with the Witson executive. I was so relieved & really glad when I saw the fitment

And as for the reverse sensors, I also had same dilemma. But I realized after discussing with this dealer (Welcome to RedSoul), that the camera view doesnt take care of the two rear corner views. Of course camera view gives more confidence in reverse gear, but I can tell you now (after installing both sensors & camera) that the sensor input is equally helpful while making turns in reverse gear. And the speaker which speaks the distance & the camera display with sensor input overlay on top of it, is a wow-factor & very useful .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
May i ask you how did you order this, did you do it via any website or over telephone. I found a site that sells the same one, but the cost is $500. I am planning to source one of this for the Rapid. Please throw some more light on how to order this.

Also what i found interesting with this particular unit was, it has an option to set either skoda or VW logo and back-light settings. Can you confirm this. Sorry for troubling you too much, but a picture showing the skoda back-light and logo would be really nice .

Thanks
I would be glad to share the details.

Dont buy it from other sites. Buy it directly from Witson, & that is cheapest. I have given the pricing above. Witson accepts either Western Union or PayPal.
So here are the options for you assuming you are getting it through a friend in China/HK. If you want direct delivery to your door, it can be through DHL, which will cost you more; probably around 26 or 27K.
- If you have anyone in China/HK who can buy directly from Witson (they dont have stores by the way) factory/office, that is the cheapest option. Bringing it to India is not an issue anyway (the seal should be opened to avoid questions from customs if any)
- Pay through Western Union. However, this is not possible from India, as RBI doesnt allow entities like Western Union to transfer money from India to other countries (you can only receive). But this can be done from a US account as the payment is always in USD. If you have an account in a US bank or through a friend, this is possible. So, this is the second cheapest option.
- Pay through PayPal using your credit card in USD. But in this case, you have to pay 6% extra.

I used PayPal & got it through a friend. In all, it was around INR 17,000 on my credit card.

By the way, I am not sure if the HUs for Vento fit Rapid (though I feel it should fit). Best way to check is to compare the stock HU of Vento & Rapid. If they are same, it should fit. If you want even better confirmation, open the stock HU in Rapid & see if the slot for HU is as big for a 2DIN system (in Vento, slot is big for a 2DIN system, but the stock HU is of 1DIN size inside, but has a bigger size on the front)

As for the logo, though I saw that it can be changed in the touch screen, it is actually not possible in my 9235 unit. It is supposed to be changed on click of the VW logo, but its not happening. It would be better if you check with Witson before ordering. I see only VW logo. But as I understand, this SHOULD work. Just get it confirmed from Anna; chat with her on Skype.

Hope this helps.
blackdiesel is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 11:50   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.
Yes. I had couple of chats with the Witson's executive (Ms. Anna) on Skype asking the difference b/w the three models available for Polo/Vento.

Thanks for detailed info, it really helps .
Also I have sent you an PM.
TopSpeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 16:32   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for such a detailed report, it covered almost everything, and was such a help. I have contacted the witson through their inquiry, waiting on them to get back. Wasn't able to find any skype contacts on their contact us page. So everything is just via email/chat is it, there is no payment page or anything? you just pay them via paypal and send the address, and they ship it. I may have to ship it to india though, because my friends who were there returned back just recently. Is it a good idea to ship it to india? Do you guys expect any trouble from customs if shipping through DHL?

On more question about the unit, How do you feel using this unit at night, you had said you had some difficulty in finding the buttons without back-lights, even those text above the buttons are not back-lit?
Old 22nd November 2011, 20:51   #97
BHPian

Quote:
So everything is just via email/chat is it, there is no payment page or anything? you just pay them via paypal and send the address, and they ship it. I may have to ship it to india though, because my friends who were there returned back just recently. Is it a good idea to ship it to india? Do you guys expect any trouble from customs if shipping through DHL?
Yeah everything is through email and chat. They have their phone numbers too.But it works well through email. No issues with shipping to INDIA. It arrivesneatly packed via DHL and Anna helped undervalue the product on the customs invoice.I had to may aroun 3k for customs to the DHL guys who gave me a receipt for the same. So there is no fleecing there
ventolute is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2011, 22:37   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for such a detailed report, it covered almost everything, and was such a help. I have contacted the witson through their inquiry, waiting on them to get back. Wasn't able to find any skype contacts on their contact us page. So everything is just via email/chat is it, there is no payment page or anything? you just pay them via paypal and send the address, and they ship it. I may have to ship it to india though, because my friends who were there returned back just recently. Is it a good idea to ship it to india? Do you guys expect any trouble from customs if shipping through DHL?

On more question about the unit, How do you feel using this unit at night, you had said you had some difficulty in finding the buttons without back-lights, even those text above the buttons are not back-lit?
I was about to say Ventolute would be in a better position to answer your first question as he ordered through DHL & I just saw he has already replied. @Ventolute: Thanks.

Regarding usage at night: Yes. The buttons or the text above them are not back-lit. It was little troublesome for first few days because of this, but it didnt take much time to memorize the 8 buttons (4 on left & 4 on right). I believe, to accommodate the size of 8 inch of screen, they have reduced the size of the buttons. As such this is not a show-stopper.
blackdiesel is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 04:46   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Yeah everything is through email and chat. They have their phone numbers too.But it works well through email. No issues with shipping to INDIA. It arrivesneatly packed via DHL and Anna helped undervalue the product on the customs invoice.I had to may aroun 3k for customs to the DHL guys who gave me a receipt for the same. So there is no fleecing there
Thanks @ventolute and @blackdiesel, i have ordered the 9235V model after conversation with Anna. I paid via paypal and shipping to india via DHL. It costed 374USD + 6% for paypal.

Quote:
Regarding usage at night: Yes. The buttons or the text above them are not back-lit. It was little troublesome for first few days because of this, but it didnt take much time to memorize the 8 buttons (4 on left & 4 on right). I believe, to accommodate the size of 8 inch of screen, they have reduced the size of the buttons. As such this is not a show-stopper.
Anna suggested there are settings for back-light and can be disabled or set to green or red back-light, can you toy around the settings a little more and check if there is such option.

@Ventolute, in your D723V system, are you able to change the boot-up logo to skoda, and set green back-light?
Old 24th November 2011, 09:56   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks @ventolute and @blackdiesel, i have ordered the 9235V model after conversation with Anna. I paid via paypal and shipping to india via DHL. It costed 374USD + 6% for paypal.

@Ventolute, in your D723V system, are you able to change the boot-up logo to skoda, and set green back-light?
Excellent VFM choice !congratulations.
I havent seen that option of changing the logo. maybe I havent played around with the settings. But IIRC, in a chat with Anna, she mentioned that , if we informher in advance, she can have the logo settings changed at the factory to any logo we want. You might want to ask her,in case they havent shipped it already.

But that apart, while i was doing my research, I came across afew forums, where people had actually changed their logo, or was it the screensaver orthe background. I dont remember exactly!!
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 10:15   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Anna suggested there are settings for back-light and can be disabled or set to green or red back-light, can you toy around the settings a little more and check if there is such option.
Congrats Th!ru on your purchase! Regarding the back-light, in D723V, it is possible that the option is available. But the one you ordered certainly doesnt have any option; as there is no back-light in first place.

Regarding logo, you better inform Anna to get Skoda logo instead of VW. There is no guarantee about the option to change it.
@Ventolute: In the Settings screen, you would have VW logo on the right. If you click on it, it should typically ask you to select your choice b/w Skoda & VW. But at least in my case, I see VW logo, but the click doesnt do anything.

@Th!ru: I had a problem with the connector that came with Witson. It was not the matching connector for Vento. Junction shop guys used a matching one from their inventory (they charged me extra for that) & the Witson connector could not be used. Check on this with Anna before ordering.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2011, 10:57   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats Th!ru on your purchase! Regarding the back-light, in D723V, it is possible that the option is available. But the one you ordered certainly doesnt have any option; as there is no back-light in first place.

@Th!ru: I had a problem with the connector that came with Witson. It was not the matching connector for Vento. Junction shop guys used a matching one from their inventory (they charged me extra for that) & the Witson connector could not be used. Check on this with Anna before ordering.
Thanks, i checked with her regarding the back-light she was saying yes, but she seems to say yes for everything!

Can you give me more details on the connector mismatch. What connector is it?
Old 24th November 2011, 14:15   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, i checked with her regarding the back-light she was saying yes, but she seems to say yes for everything!

Can you give me more details on the connector mismatch. What connector is it?
Check these images from Witson:

Name:  1316512215964780.jpg
Views: 2225
Size:  69.6 KB

This is the connector which was not fitting into Vento's OEM connector. This connector with cable (see above image) connects Witson system with car's OEM cabling.
Name:  1316512216195389.jpg
Views: 1967
Size:  43.4 KB

The other end of Witson-provided cable/connector is still required.
Name:  1316512216413384.jpg
Views: 1835
Size:  64.1 KB
Old 28th November 2011, 05:30   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventolute View Post
Excellent VFM choice !congratulations.
Quote:

This is the connector which was not fitting into Vento's OEM connector. This connector with cable (see above image) connects Witson system with car's OEM cabling.

The other end of Witson-provided cable/connector is still required.
I recieved the unit yesterday via DHL, waiting for the car to be delivered to try this out.

Meanwhile i have 2 questions
Does the screen switch to reverse cam automatically in both your HUs?

@blackdiesel - In the quad-lock connector that's not compatible with indian VW cars, i see there are few wires hanging out which reads "illumi", "reverse" etc., and not actually fit into any of the pins in the connector. Did you connect these wires to something or left it as it is? Can you try to recollect?

Thanks
Old 29th November 2011, 12:23   #105
BHPian

Quote:
I recieved the unit yesterday via DHL, waiting for the car to be delivered to try this out.

Meanwhile i have 2 questions
Does the screen switch to reverse cam automatically in both your HUs?

@blackdiesel - In the quad-lock connector that's not compatible with indian VW cars, i see there are few wires hanging out which reads "illumi", "reverse" etc., and not actually fit into any of the pins in the connector. Did you connect these wires to something or left it as it is? Can you try to recollect?

Thanks
Great! So how much did it cost in INR? I am sure you will like the system.

The moment you change the gear lever to reverse-gear position, the camera view gets triggered. There are two cables at work here: one coming from the camera as video-out & other one is the wire tapping power from the parking light. This tapped wire is connected to the loose end of the hanging wire named "reverse".

Many other wires will be left as it is, as you will not be connecting other features like door-ajar indicator, A/C etc.,

And dont forget to put some pics after installation