Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th November 2011, 18:03   #106
BHPian

Default Re: Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdiesel View Post
Great! So how much did it cost in INR? I am sure you will like the system.

The moment you change the gear lever to reverse-gear position, the camera view gets triggered. There are two cables at work here: one coming from the camera as video-out & other one is the wire tapping power from the parking light. This tapped wire is connected to the loose end of the hanging wire named "reverse".

Many other wires will be left as it is, as you will not be connecting other features like door-ajar indicator, A/C etc.,

And dont forget to put some pics after installation
I paid Rs 21400 via paypal + Rs 2000 for customs.

Thanks for your info about the reverse camera trigger. So the "reverse" is connected to the parking lights assembly by new wiring, or is it already in place on the vehicle?

I need one help . If you can contact your ICE installer, can you please get me details of the connector he used. So that i can give some pointers to the guys here, if they are not sure how to make this compatible with the ISO connectors on the BCM.

Also take a look at the attachment, i found it on google images. It seems to me this model might have the back-light for the text. Maybe there is a workaround using the loose "illumi" wire on the HU's harness? Have you tried using that wire? Also does the GPS shift to night mode when deploying the headlamps? If not, then maybe its related. I am just guessing, i am totally a noob with respect to I.C.E, so please bear with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-2din8inchcardvdplayerforvwwithdvbtcanbusgpsrdsdualzonephonebookpiptid6581.jpg  

Th!ru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2011, 18:24   #107
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th!ru View Post
I paid Rs 21400 via paypal + Rs 2000 for customs.

Thanks for your info about the reverse camera trigger. So the "reverse" is connected to the parking lights assembly by new wiring, or is it already in place on the vehicle?

I need one help . If you can contact your ICE installer, can you please get me details of the connector he used. So that i can give some pointers to the guys here, if they are not sure how to make this compatible with the ISO connectors on the BCM.

Also take a look at the attachment, i found it on google images. It seems to me this model might have the back-light for the text. Maybe there is a workaround using the loose "illumi" wire on the HU's harness? Have you tried using that wire? Also does the GPS shift to night mode when deploying the headlamps? If not, then maybe its related. I am just guessing, i am totally a noob with respect to I.C.E, so please bear with me.
I will send you a PM with his contact number.

It didnt strike me when I saw Illumi wire! It is evident from the image that it has back light. Its quite possible that the Illumi wire is for back-lighting. As you are about to get it connected, get it tested. I believe, that wire too needs a separate power input & likely it should get connected to dashboard light knob (which powers dashboard light & headlamps). Check if its possible to draw a line from the dashboard without cutting any wires (read warranty issues)
Let me know if it works.

As I understand, the loose wires are the triggers for those functions to work. If & when a wire is powered (through reverse gear, headlamp, A/C on etc.,), respective function gets triggered. So it all boils down to how many wires you can connect to those settings without cutting any wires. As for the extra cable length, Vento didnt have that provision & I paid for the length of wire drawn from rear lamp to ICE.
blackdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2011, 17:50   #108
BHPian

Hey blackdiesel, I received my 723V, along with the reverse camera, and got it installed at Auto Shop, Koramangala yesterday. Other than GPS, everything is set. I need to buy maps for getting the GPS going. I see that you've installed MapMyIndia on your device. Any pointers on the installation process?
sith_lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2012, 23:04   #109
BHPian

My black bullet just had the first service after completing one year with the odometer reading of 11300 km.

After checking my fellow Bangalore vento owners, I too decided to get it serviced from Palace Cross & not in Downtown (from where I purchased).

So I called up the service center & asked them to pick the car from my office. I listed few of my minor complaints, while also requesting them to clean the driver seat & the armrest which had become a little dirty due to everyday use.
By the way, I have not been able to update this in TBHP: I had my first incident couple of weeks back. I was reversing the car from my garage & the gate in the morning, getting ready to take off to office. A traffic police inspector (my father's social friend) was at home to meet my father, while his driver had parked his jeep in the other end of the road. As I was slowly reversing the car while watching the two mirrors & the rear camera view in my Witson ICE, this driver, without realizing that I am driving the car in reverse, took his jeep reverse in good speed. The effect? The jeep's rear bumper rubbed strongly against Vento's rear bumber (which also has 4 sensors & one camera in the middle) & pressed it inwards. Fortunately, I honked fiercely to draw his attention & he stopped.

And you know what? after I cleaned up the rubbed surface on the bumper, I was surprised by the way Vento had taken up the force while still not getting damaged as much! Now after couple of washes, the rub is not much visible except for a bend of the plastic just next to the boot lid. It was not so bad, that I decided not to get it repaired despite having 0% dep. insurance policy.

Anyway coming back to the topic, I checked with the service guy how much the bumper would cost. He said it would cost around 5000, painting around 4000 & labor of 1000; total 10000. Still I decided not to get it done at the moment.

I asked for these features to be enabled:
1. Auto-lock from inside: Locking the car while driving, as the speed reaches beyond 15kmph & unlocking when the key is removed.

2. Audio Feedback: As the car is locked or unlocked from outside, the car should give an audio feedback as confirmation if successful or warning if not. One info I got was that as there is no separate speaker for this purpose, the setting sends signal to the existing speaker meant for horn. So the service guy indicated that the sound may be a little loud in the night or early morning. I asked him to enable it anyway.

3. Auto-lock from outside: If the car is idle for more than some predefined duration (say 5 mins), AND the key is not inserted in the keyhole, the car should get locked automatically. This is very useful, if one forgets to lock while going away from the car.

In all, I have been billed for 10,183/-. Attached is the invoice. When I checked why others have been invoiced for around 8500/-, the reason they gave was that of Fuel Filter & Balance Weight.

I have just paid the amount through my credit card through their website & expecting the car tomorrow morning. I will upload a pic of the rear bumper tomorrow.

Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-vento-service-invoice.jpg
Old 22nd April 2012, 01:33   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My black bullet just had the first service after completing one year with the odometer reading of 11300 km.
Everything looks fine in the bill except a few.
  • Cost of wheel balancing is on the higher side which is why it is advised to have it done from reputed tyre shop outside.
  • Some workshop are charging for 5 lt engine oil whereas some charge for 4.5 lt. According to me it is 4.5 lt and workshop charge for 5 lt to unsuspecting customers. Yeah I too have been one recently.
  • Mine Vento TDi HL was too bought in Apr'11 and I got fuel filter replaced under warranty FOC. You too should have got it replaced FOC but they have charged you. Clarify with your SA, as VW was changing it under warranty. Again unsuspecting customer problem.

Rest all looks fine. Any difference felt after paid service? I even got clutch hose pipe replaced FOC which has eased the harshness of the clutch. And even I too have a pearl black Vento like yours.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 13:32   #111
BHPian

Here is the pic of the bumper damage that I wrote about in my previous post. As you can see, an abrasion causing such a bend has not left scratches to the same degree! There cant be any reason other than VW painting quality.

Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-imag0239.jpg

Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-imag0240.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Everything looks fine in the bill except a few.
  • Cost of wheel balancing is on the higher side which is why it is advised to have it done from reputed tyre shop outside.
  • Some workshop are charging for 5 lt engine oil whereas some charge for 4.5 lt. According to me it is 4.5 lt and workshop charge for 5 lt to unsuspecting customers. Yeah I too have been one recently.
  • Mine Vento TDi HL was too bought in Apr'11 and I got fuel filter replaced under warranty FOC. You too should have got it replaced FOC but they have charged you. Clarify with your SA, as VW was changing it under warranty. Again unsuspecting customer problem.
Rest all looks fine. Any difference felt after paid service? I even got clutch hose pipe replaced FOC which has eased the harshness of the clutch. And even I too have a pearl black Vento like yours.
Thanks for the inputs.

I decided to get the wheel balancing with them as I wouldnt have found time to go out for this purpose to other tyre shops. The service guys have charged 157/- for labor & 740/- for the balance weights; making it approx. 900/-. How much does it cost to get this done outside in comparison to this?

As for the 4.5 lt & the fuel filter, after your inputs, I have written a strong email demanding for reversal of the charges Will update back once I get a reply.

Also, service tax is at 12.36% & VAT on parts is at 14% . Isnt it too much?

Last edited by blackdiesel : 22nd April 2012 at 13:34.
Old 22nd April 2012, 15:13   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is the pic of the bumper damage that I wrote about in my previous post. As you can see, an abrasion causing such a bend has not left scratches to the same degree! There cant be any reason other than VW painting quality.
VW paint quality is undoubtedly top class. Few months back by my own mistake rammed into an auto rickshaw while reversing and the damage was minimal. Slight abrasion which was taken care by using rubbing compound on the rear bumper.

Quote:
Thanks for the inputs.

I decided to get the wheel balancing with them as I wouldnt have found time to go out for this purpose to other tyre shops. The service guys have charged 157/- for labor & 740/- for the balance weights; making it approx. 900/-. How much does it cost to get this done outside in comparison to this?

As for the 4.5 lt & the fuel filter, after your inputs, I have written a strong email demanding for reversal of the charges Will update back once I get a reply.

Also, service tax is at 12.36% & VAT on parts is at 14% . Isnt it too much?
You are welcome.

As my car has covered just 4.5K so haven't got wheel balancing done from either VW or from outside. May be when it reaches 10K or I feel there is a problem then I might get it done. Till now everything is fine. Mostly it would be half the cost of what VW charges, IMHO. VW charges a lot for weights.

To whom have you written the email, dealer or VW? Even if you do not get a reply try posting of VW Facebook page, they would certainly revert back.

The taxes are charged by the State Govt which I think would be right, no reason to doubt about it.
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2012, 16:37   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post

To whom have you written the email, dealer or VW? Even if you do not get a reply try posting of VW Facebook page, they would certainly revert back.

The taxes are charged by the State Govt which I think would be right, no reason to doubt about it.
I have written to the dealer to begin with. I will take it to VW through Twitter & FB if it doesnt get resolved easily.

Of course, the taxes go to State Govt, but I thought service tax is at 10.3% and VAT not at 14%!! Am not sure if these figures got changed in the recent budget! If I remember correctly, I didnt see such higher tax figures in other BHPians' invoices. Something is wrong with Karnataka's tax structure I think.
Old 14th July 2012, 18:10   #114
BHPian

Reporting live from VW service station! :-)

I came to know yesterday at my office that the sump cover has come off and is hanging only half attached to the sump.

So I am now at VW palace cross service station to fix this problem.

Apparently, this is an imported item with two purposes- noise reduction & protection to the sump underneath. In my case, this cover has got half-detached from its fitment; probably due to some bad scraping on a hump. See the before & after photos in my next post. I suppose this has happened weeks back & I only noticed it yesterday.

To my astonishment, the cost of new cover is 6700+!! Isn't that too high for just a cover! And as I checked, the same cover in a polo is further covered with a plastic sheet, but not in Vento! Even if I replace it with a new one, what is the guarantee taht this wont happen again? So resorted to a jugaad solution fixing the torn cover itself.

And i have to mention about the good service at palace cross. I wanted to fix mud guards as the rainy season just started in Bangalore. By the way, VW has changed the mud flap design; probably after people poured in their complaints of it rubing the humps. These are a little shorter now to prevent the rubbing. The SA voluntarily sent the car for monsoon checkup before me asking for the same and with that I would get some 10% discount too.
Attached Images

Old 15th July 2012, 00:02   #115
BHPian

Here are some pics. I could finally get the mud flaps & the door steppers installed.

Before:
Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-20120714_160321_before.jpg

After:
Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-20120714_190934_after.jpg

Vento at the medical ward:
Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-20120714_160221.jpg
Black Bullet in Bangalore - VW Vento Highline TDi-20120714_162008.jpg

Last edited by blackdiesel : 15th July 2012 at 00:11.
Old 22nd August 2012, 11:28   #116
BHPian

[quote=blackdiesel;2839987]Here are some pics. I could finally get the mud flaps & the door steppers installed.

After:
Attachment 956716

Hi,

I checked my vento's bottom during a car wash session. The design now is totally changed when i compared mine with yours (mine is 2012 leatherette High line TDI). The cover is not irradiated and now there is a sump/transmission guard moulded around the unit itself. ill try to get a pic next time.
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:22   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post

Hi,

I checked my vento's bottom during a car wash session. The design now is totally changed when i compared mine with yours (mine is 2012 leatherette High line TDI). The cover is not irradiated and now there is a sump/transmission guard moulded around the unit itself. ill try to get a pic next time.
Which means, new Ventos have a cover similar to Polo. They must have learned from mistakes. Plz post a pic if possible. Not sure if it affects the ground clearance!
Old 23rd August 2012, 10:28   #118
BHPian

Quote:
Which means, new Ventos have a cover similar to Polo. They must have learned from mistakes. Plz post a pic if possible. Not sure if it affects the ground clearance!
sure will get the pic soon. BTW did you get your ICE done?
newtonMeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 11:03   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Also we need to check if this can be incorporated in the older Ventos , even if it has a price tag attached to it.
evilshantanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2012, 12:17   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtonMeter View Post
sure will get the pic soon. BTW did you get your ICE done?
Kindly request you to inquire about the part number too , it would be great if you can share it

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Also we need to check if this can be incorporated in the older Ventos , even if it has a price tag attached to it.
Exactly my thought - maybe you can ask your SA who is doing the repair work for the shadowfax and get it done right away
souravc is offline   Reply With Quote