Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 2nd June 2011, 15:51   #61
buz
BHPian

Default Re: Black Ambiente Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - Total satisfaction incorporated

Called Skoda myself too. Same response. They will get back. Took all details. Hope to see something happening now.
buz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd June 2011, 16:03   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Black Ambiente Skoda Laura 1.8 TSI - Total satisfaction incorporated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Yes, my car requires the clutch to be pressed while starting (even in neutral). If I try to crank the car without pressing the clutch, "CLUTCH" shows up on the MID.
Not sure of the real reason. My wife took Maruti driving lessons and was told to do this to avoid early wear and tear of the clutch. Clutch experts can throw some light here.
fi.robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 13:09   #63
BHPian

Congrats Buz, cedricsc, jatinganapathy, Maibaa, Santoshbhat for laying hands on heeluva machine. Sadly the A.S.S. lets it down, maybe now we should say Before Sales Service as well.

Have booked a TSI myself. Luckily went to the dealer on a Saturday to check the car for next day delivery. While waiting for the car to be brought it from the yard, figured out missing fogs in another vehicle; refused to take delivery w/o fogs, even with assurance that the dealer will retrofit the fogs in next 15 days (somebody in skoda aurangabad next day confirmed on phone that fogs can't be retrofitted by dealer). While the new car is still in transit, the sales guy here is confirming that all features remain intact, including cooled glove box, rain sensing whipers etc. Either these people don't know the product they're selling or there's something more to it.

Maibaa / Buz do let us know once you hear from Skoda on missing features.

A question for oldhands on TSI, is it ok to take the car for a long drive, including hilly terrain (Gurgaon - Manali - Gurgaon), before the run-in is fully over (expect to clock around 500 km before I start)? The delivery was planned for early May and car was to be used for a summer vacation in last week of June.

Thanks.

P.S.: jatinganapathy, you name reminds me of somebody who was with me in Gujarat from 2002-2004. Are you the one?
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 16:58   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post

A question for oldhands on TSI, is it ok to take the car for a long drive, including hilly terrain (Gurgaon - Manali - Gurgaon), before the run-in is fully over (expect to clock around 500 km before I start)? The delivery was planned for early May and car was to be used for a summer vacation in last week of June.

It is certainly not advisable but from experience i can tell you that the car didn't give me any problem through its run in period even when i was redlining it (though it is advised to keep your car below 3500 rpm until first 1000kms). I took the car on hilly terrain after 1000 kms and i was pretty satisfied with it..

if you do take it out then please keep a 1ltr jar of shell helix ultra as these volkswagon engines have a tendency to drink oil in the first thousand kms
varunsonu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 18:06   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred

Maibaa / Buz do let us know once you hear from Skoda on missing features.
Skoda customer support has acknowledged my email and said that they will get back to me. Waiting to see what they have to say about this.
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 18:07   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Have booked a TSI myself. Luckily went to the dealer on a Saturday to check the car for next day delivery. While waiting for the car to be brought it from the yard, figured out missing fogs in another vehicle; refused to take delivery w/o fogs, even with assurance that the dealer will retrofit the fogs in next 15 days (somebody in skoda aurangabad next day confirmed on phone that fogs can't be retrofitted by dealer). While the new car is still in transit, the sales guy here is confirming that all features remain intact, including cooled glove box, rain sensing whipers etc. Either these people don't know the product they're selling or there's something more to it.
When I was first shown a piece in stock, I was quite disappointed when the salesperson told me that the Ambiente had been stripped off the fogs in 2011. I remember discussing with him about the possibility of retrofitting it. He discussed with his technicians and came back to me saying that it can't be done since the entire wiring harness required for the fogs is not provided in the car.

Cooled glove box and rain sensing wipers are missing from my car too. I did not bother too much about them since I did not feel these to be absolutely essential. Also I would rather not have a cooled glove box, which basically cools by directing air from the AC compressor. Earlier Laura owners have mentioned about the Laura's AC being weak. Skoda claims to tackled this issue in the new Laura. Having driven a Corolla for 8 years, I can tell you that Laura's AC is not as strong as the Toyota's and does take a tad more time to bring the temp down when compared to the Corolla.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 18:19   #67
Senior - BHPian

Hi @Buz,

Congrats - this is a fantastic car. Mine is a white TSi from the very first batch - I bought in Feb 2010 and clocked 12800 KM so far. What an engine...

BTW, for those who are curious about the compulsion to press the clutch while cranking - the TSi manual says that pressing the clutch disengages transmissiton completely from the engine, thereby reducing the load on the starter motor and increasing it's life.

Cheers!
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 21:10   #68
BHPian

Quote:
While the new car is still in transit, the sales guy here is confirming that all features remain intact, including cooled glove box, rain sensing wipers etc.
Could you confirm this please once you've had a look at the car? I've been told that only the fog lamps have been restored. Do check the VIN to make sure that it's a 2011 model.

I heard about the missing features the day after I booked a Laura 1.8 TSI Ambiente. Since then, I've been speaking to the dealer, the Skoda team here and the Customer Care in Aurangabad. I was initially told that the 2011 model doesn't have them; maybe they will return in 2012 or 2013 models. Then I was told that I can get one with fog lamps in 6 months(!). Then, 'maybe' 1 month. And now, 3-4 days.

I have to say here that in sorting out all this, Skoda Customer Care in Aurangabad has been very helpful.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the car to arrive so I can take an inspection before confirming delivery. And I'll write back on how it goes.

Oh, and hello to everyone—this is my first post on Team-BHP. Feels good to be here.

—Orko
Orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 22:05   #69
BHPian

Welcome to the club Orko. The fog lamps on 2011 models is only on Capaccino Beige. I just spoke to the guys in Aurangabad.

I disagree with you, on the guys in Aurangabad being helpful. They are not result oriented and just want to pass the buck to the dealer.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 22:36   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg
Welcome to the club Orko. The fog lamps on 2011 models is only on Capaccino Beige.
Well, I've booked a white and dealer has promised that with fogs car will be here by June 6. Let's see.

Was told initially that TSI doesn't come in Beige. Wasn't interested in that color anyways, so didn't bother to check further. Strange!
bloodred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 01:31   #71
BHPian

Congrats Buz on the wonderful car. Whats with all the new TSI owners changing the interior trim to wood look-alike?

Its very sad TSI is losing out on all these functional and feel good features. I must agree I took this car merely due to its amazing engine but later came to appreciate what a wonderful overall package this car actually is. Engines apart, Laura was still better than competition car wise in terms of price, features and dynamics, but now the features part is taking a big hit.

Skoda might be keenly following T-Bhp and must have seen the thread where one of the members has activated all the features through software modification through Ross-Tech, matching an elegance trim to L&K, most of which can also be activated on Ambiente. But come-on Skoda, how many of us are really capable of doing these mods technically? Also, whats with a stupid cap to cover the electric socket instead of a lighter?

Pre VW, Skoda cars were terrific VFM leaving aside the after sales reputation, but now the VFM is taking a hit, possibly to make VW cars more attractive.
v.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 10:15   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Welcome to the club Orko. The fog lamps on 2011 models is only on Capaccino Beige. I just spoke to the guys in Aurangabad.

I disagree with you, on the guys in Aurangabad being helpful. They are not result oriented and just want to pass the buck to the dealer.
Thanks, Cedric.

Fog lamps just on the beige? Ok, no one's mentioned that to me yet. I booked a black one so let's see if they can provide one. Will let you know.

I guess your experience has been different with Customer Care in Aurangabad but for me, they are the ones who have been most straightforward.
Orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 10:23   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand
Congrats Buz on the wonderful car. Whats with all the new TSI owners changing the interior trim to wood look-alike?

Its very sad TSI is losing out on all these functional and feel good features. I must agree I took this car merely due to its amazing engine but later came to appreciate what a wonderful overall package this car actually is. Engines apart, Laura was still better than competition car wise in terms of price, features and dynamics, but now the features part is taking a big hit.

Skoda might be keenly following T-Bhp and must have seen the thread where one of the members has activated all the features through software modification through Ross-Tech, matching an elegance trim to L&K, most of which can also be activated on Ambiente. But come-on Skoda, how many of us are really capable of doing these mods technically? Also, whats with a stupid cap to cover the electric socket instead of a lighter?

Pre VW, Skoda cars were terrific VFM leaving aside the after sales reputation, but now the VFM is taking a hit, possibly to make VW cars more attractive.
Anand, if the new Jetta has the same tsi engine, Laura would be sold in double digits.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 01:25   #74
BHPian

^^I completely agree on that. Who would want a Skoda if a VW comes with the same 1.8 TSI? Thats where the branding and marketing decisions show up their importance.
v.anand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 12:08   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
^^I completely agree on that. Who would want a Skoda if a VW comes with the same 1.8 TSI? Thats where the branding and marketing decisions show up their importance.
Even with the same engine, a Jetta would cost appreciably more than the Laura.
Cost is a major factor. And let's not forget that Skoda has built up a very "premium" image here in India while VW is still getting there I feel. So purely in terms of image, Skoda still doesn't lose out to VW in the eyes of the (average) Indian consumer. My 2 cents.
But Skoda needs to shape up, no doubts there.
razor4077 is offline   Reply With Quote