Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th May 2011, 22:13   #1
BHPian

Default Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)

When I wanted to buy a car every salesman used to tell me that their car was the best available
How it all began
My exploits in the share market had been safely put away in a ULIP and the fund matured in June 2010. Now the question was what I was going to do with it.
I was thinking I would buy myself an Enfield Thunderbird and go on roaring bike trips up and down the country roads and pledge my allegiance to the biker community. In comes dad, and out goes the bike plans.
But being an Automobile enthusiast himself he asked me to get a car instead. He was also planning to change his Indica vista petrol (Yes!! There are people who drive them). So I set out to buy a diesel car for Rs. 5 – 6 Lakhs.
I put an additional clause saying I would buy only a hatchback

So first stop: Maruti as always
MARUTI
Maruti Swift and Ritz were the two models.
RITZ
Ritz was the new kid in the MS block and certainly the looks of it rear were much discussed topic. I personally was OK with the ritz and thought I would upgrade to wider tyres and fit them with snazzy alloys so that its looks balanced. Then I drove the Ritz through a road that combined straights and turns and a road without a smooth surface. I ended up disliking the soft suspension. It might be good as a city car but it was not the car for the highway for me. So Exit Ritz….

Next the Swift
SWIFT
We had a MSIL swift (1.3L) petrol once up a time and it was notorious for its real bad mileage when I drove that. I liked the sporty look (orange colour) and the free revving engine. Many might disagree on the looks but still I liked it.
On the diesel I like the 1.3 DDiS (our national diesel engine), it was silent, quick and pretty frugal
But I did not buy the Swift. Reason: The LDi variant was too basic, there was no ZDi(not that I wanted it) and VDi felt a little overpriced for the features. The deal breaker was none of these; it was the whopping 6-7 month waiting period.
So I said Tata to Maruti

TATA
Went to Concorde kochi to test drive the Punto and the Indica vista QJ
Punto had gone for its outing (TD ) in some place and was not going to return that day. Vista QJ was available. Since we had a petrol Vista, apart from the engine and performance everything else was known to me. Now I take the Vista out for a TD and I felt that it is actually quicker through the first couple of gears than Swift or Ritz (could be just my feeling). It was spacious but again I did not want another indica in my house. So waited for the Punto to get back for a TD.

HYUNDAI
Then I TD ‘d the hyundai i20. It was good and the car was amazing from the interiors and exteriors, engine was superb, nice comfort. But on the back of my head I was reminded of the Verna and its dangerously soft suspension but superb engine. So I took out the i20 to my test track (a road with straights, and sudden corners etc) and I was disappointed again. The ride was plush and soft in the city and smooth roads but when pressed hard the car behaved odd. I did not feel confident. Plus the cost was around 7 lakhs for the version I was planning. So it was Hyundai bye bye…….

FIAT
Then comes Punto. Italian beauty, the one on everyone’s list. The TD car was a silver Emotion Pk. It had done 15K at the time. The ride was smooth if not excellent and the road dynamics pleased me a lot. I was almost decided by the time I got out of the car. The Emotion Pack that I was fida on came at 7.2Lakhs OTR. I was not impressed by Active or Dynamic Interiors or equipment list or the tyres (they were 165mm). To top it there were many stories of bad A.S.S and poor resale value was a given thing. In comes TBhp and I find a lot of problems discussed with the Punto and got convinced that I should probably check back with the Maruti guys. In retrospect I feel I must have been convincing myself with all these reasons but my main reason was that the car was not affordable.

Again MARUTI
I was at the Marui dealership and went through another TD of swift. I got my parents as well with me this time. Good drive, no complaints just the 7month waiting period. Almost decided on Swift kept the booking procedures for another auspicious day.

Finally the FORD
While returning I see this Ford Figo in green (Squeeze) color and suggest dad to stop and just have a look of their diesel. My family had a Ford Fiesta Diesel immediately after the swift and before the indica vista petrol . We were all very fond of the car. Now we go into Kairali Ford the dealer in Kochi. The sales guy greets us. We say we need a TD and promptly gets one. WE are four in the family and the sales guy with us made it five in the car and it was a ok ok fit in the car. Not too spacious or cramped.
I started the engine with the usual and familiar (cos of the fiesta) diesel clatter. Switched on the AC and the music system and started off on the first gear. The showroom was by the side of a highway and the car was doing 80kmph in no time. My brother asked me if this was a petrol or diesel. The sales guy said diesel. The AC and the music system does some magic on the car. Dad tries it, Bro tries and they are all impressed and Mom like s the AC.
We were all Fida for the Figo. So only thing left was to book the car itself and the auspicious day was not coming in another week. The sales manager knew my dad and he arranged for the Red Figo quickly and said he could throw in Alloys + fog lamps + seat cover for a mere 20K. So now instead of booking the car a week later we were buying the car in a week.

That is the story of how a brilliant Colorado Red Figo 1.4 ZXi became my partner. Its 10months ‘young’ now and I have done 25000 kms on it. Glad to have bought it.

Oh I have not told yet as to what the caption of the whole post is.

MARUTI MARUTI Again
A couple of weeks later the Maruti Sales guy calls me up to ask about the booking. I did not tell him that I had the figo with me just told him that I am planning to book one. HE started saying about swift is good and of having proven itself on Indian roads. He just stopped short of telling me that the Swift was actually the Merc S class.
I listened to the whole story and told him
“Car is good but cash is mine”

25,000 Kms update.
Now its ten months and I have done 25K kms.

I have got intermittently bad mileages of 17kmpl and a very good mileage of 28kmpl once otherwise 21 is the norm.

Now on average I get 19kmpl in kochi. I am now settled in my native place and so Now I have a 40km commute everyday but the weekend miles from travelling to my native place is not coming in.

Problems till now.
There was a single rattle near the tray on my dashboard near the tray where the airbags sit in the titanium version
Found that to be from a connector hitting the tray and fixed it.

Had a problem of squeak from rear and the dealership identified it to be a loose rear bumper clip.
Another time the sound from the rear suspension was due to sand in the spring base area rubbing against metal. cleaned the stuff and no more sound.

Care I give.
I service the car every 5000kms. Means I do oil change, oil filter and air filter change. cost me an odd 1500rupees. This has been my practice since the car finished 10K service.

Overall what I like
I am very happy with the car. Exceeds my expectations.
very reliable. Not loose wires and leaky pipes.
Pleasant workshop experience(they know their job well)
Good ride. Fun to drive.
Excellent suspension setup, steering and gearshift combination. makes it a hoot to drive. and make every drive fun....
Cheap maintenance
Overall rounded package
Bluetooth audio (excellent, I feel like I am in that Lloyd appliances ad. Feel reallly proud.)

what more could I ask for
Rear power windows
Rear adjustable head rests.
Automatic climate control (although the figo has a killer AC it gets cold after some time.)

I am going to be on the roads cos I got FIGO
Attached Thumbnails
Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-1.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-2.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-3.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-4.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-5.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-6.jpg  

Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)-7.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by figo_mba : 28th May 2011 at 19:15. Reason: adding pictures
figo_mba is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:37   #2
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car is good but cash is mine

Let me be the first one to wish you for your new car.

Congratulations for your new Ford Figo. The car looks cool in red color IMO. Dont forget to update the thread with more pictures.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving.

PS - Quite interesting thread title.

Last edited by bluevolt : 27th May 2011 at 23:38.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2011, 23:51   #3
BHPian

As blue volt said-a nice catchy title, and loved the way you ended the post with it.Congrats on your red figo. Do post some interior pics as well
ventolute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 00:46   #4
BANNED

Congratulations alot first for clocking Happy 25,000 kilometres on your Ford Figo & then well done for taking an excellent decision almost a year back(i.e buying a Figo).
We're waiting for some more pics of your figo here.

Also can you please summarise your Onwership experience of your Figo experienced till to date including Service costs, dealer-ASC behaviour & the Overall reliability quotient of the car.
How's its engine noise now ? As heard from many sources that its engine becomes noisier after clocking some 10-15k kms.
CRtorquefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 10:38   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats dude. More pics please. Any accessories planned or coming soon?
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 10:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Let me be the first one to wish you for your new car.

Congratulations for your new Ford Figo. The car looks cool in red color IMO. Dont forget to update the thread with more pictures.

Wishing you many years of happy and safe driving.

Thank you blue volt. I am cutting down on the size of my photos(and hopefully mine too ) Will upload as soon as I have a good number of pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRtorquefan View Post
Congratulations alot first for clocking Happy 25,000 kilometres on your Ford Figo & then well done for taking an excellent decision almost a year back(i.e buying a Figo).
We're waiting for some more pics of your figo here.

Also can you please summarise your Onwership experience of your Figo experienced till to date including Service costs, dealer-ASC behaviour & the Overall reliability quotient of the car.
How's its engine noise now ? As heard from many sources that its engine becomes noisier after clocking some 10-15k kms.
Thank you...Yes CRTorque fan I will post the details soon.
The service of this figo is costing me less than 2000rupees per service..
So i change oil oil filter and air filter every 5000Kms that is like every 1.5 months.
I got no super sensitive ears but from what I hear the sound is exactly the same.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Congrats dude. More pics please. Any accessories planned or coming soon?
Thanks naveen. more pics??? definitely...I am planning a DIY to reduce the noise... No No i am not doing any mod on the engine I am planning to use a technique of sound deadening used in aircrafts. Will keep you guys posted.
figo_mba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 12:36   #7
BHPian

congratz on your new car buddy!
Nice choice of colour too and a cool bargain for alloys and fogs.

Howz the ride quality compared to the swift and is it as quick as the swift?
shantyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 13:05   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent choice you have made!!.. Red is a bold color. Could you please let me know what is the OTR price difference between a ZXi and a Titanium. And what are the added accessories in Titanium?.

Thanks!
dhanushs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2011, 18:02   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantyrocks View Post
congratz on your new car buddy!
Nice choice of colour too and a cool bargain for alloys and fogs.

Howz the ride quality compared to the swift and is it as quick as the swift?
Thanks Shantyrocks. The bargain is still available it is called titanium pack for Figo. I got a waiver on the labor charges only.
About the ride quality. the ride is better than swift on the highways and over long distances. Now at lower speeds i feels swift is better. at higher speeds swift loses some of its character. Figo is more steerable and feels much more in control at high speeds.

On a different note I do not know why but the ride feels more compliant after I fitted the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Excellent choice you have made!!.. Red is a bold color. Could you please let me know what is the OTR price difference between a ZXi and a Titanium. And what are the added accessories in Titanium?.
Thanks!
OTR difference of Zxi ? of Ritz or Swift ? OR are you asking for the diesel i.e VDi ?? anyways diesel top variants was having a diff of 45K on road in kerala.
Figo was cheaper than by 25K Swift but costlier by 12K than Ritz. This is comparing the VDi versions of Ritz and Swift with Zxi version of Figo.
Old 30th May 2011, 15:00   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
I am planning a DIY to reduce the noise... No No i am not doing any mod on the engine I am planning to use a technique of sound deadening used in aircrafts. Will keep you guys posted.
This should be very interesting. Waiting eagerly.

By the way - have you done this DIY earlier? seen someone do it? or is it a new experiment?

And yes, very interesting title!

Last edited by vasanthn21 : 30th May 2011 at 15:01.
vasanthn21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 15:30   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
.... OTR difference of Zxi ? ....
OTR price difference between a Figo Zxi and a Figo Titanium.
Quote:
... OTR price difference between a ZXi and a Titanium. And what are the added accessories in Titanium?...
Old 30th May 2011, 15:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Car is good but cash is mine (Ford Figo)

Hey Figo_MBA,
That's some cool pics of your Figo and 25K kms in 10 months is huge.
Wishing you all fun with this car.
Just wanted to know, if you got 4 alloys or 5 from Ford, they look like genuine Ford alloys? and how about the leather seats, how good are they?
All these stuff for 20k looks a very sweet deal.
Reading through your post was fun.
A belated Congratulations!!

EDIT: And compliments for a very unique thread title

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 30th May 2011 at 16:00.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th May 2011, 15:58   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthn21 View Post
This should be very interesting. Waiting eagerly.

By the way - have you done this DIY earlier? seen someone do it? or is it a new experiment?

And yes, very interesting title!
Thanks for the compliment on the title.
I have not seen anyone do it. yes it is an experiment.
Since it will not cause any problem to the car I am going to trying this. Just have to make sure that the material i use does not catch fire at high temps (in the engine compartment) otherwise the car might be on fire and I might not get the insurance as well.

Quote:
OTR price difference between a Figo Zxi and a Figo Titanium.

Figo EXi - 5.32L OTR
The figo Zxi cost 5.6L OTR
Figo titanium cost 5.94L OTR (All rates in kerala)

Extra on the titanium is ABS, EBD, Airbags, 6 speed intermittent wiper. EOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmachau
Hey Figo_MBA,
That's some cool pics of your Figo and 25K kms in 10 months is huge.
Wishing you all fun with this car.
Just wanted to know, if you got 4 alloys or 5 from Ford, they look like genuine Ford alloys? and how about the leather seats, how good are they?
All these stuff for 20k looks a very sweet deal.
Reading through your post was fun.
A belated Congratulations!!
Thanks fordmanchau.
I got 4 alloys. the stepney is steel rim
And yes spot on!! They are genuine ford alloys. I got the vinyl seats, fog lamps and the alloys for 20k. Its called the Titanium club pack.
The vinyl seats are nothing much to talk about. They are ok. I prefer the original to this. Vinyl seats (and that too black)gets very hot when parked out in the sun.

the pics are all from my mobile cam sparring one or two.

Last edited by figo_mba : 30th May 2011 at 16:08. Reason: Answering to one more comment
Old 30th May 2011, 16:10   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Figo EXi - 5.32L OTR
The figo Zxi cost 5.6L OTR
Figo titanium cost 5.94L OTR (All rates in kerala)
No wonder the Figo has the VFM tag. And 30k for ABS, Airbags and EBD is damn impressive. Um.. If I may ask, why didn't you opt for the Titanium?

Quote:
... I got the vinyl seats, fog lamps and the alloys for 20k. Its called the Titanium club pack...
Again, a superb VFM pack. IIRC, my cousin swapped the steel rims to OEM alloys on his Fiesta for ~20k.

Old 30th May 2011, 16:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Congrats for the new car. What's the mileage you are getting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
The title reminds me of a famous comedy dialogue from a Malayalam film - 'the idea is good, but leg is mine'.
romeomidhun is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote