Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 21st June 2011, 22:04   #31
BHPian

Default Re: Man on diet is here!! The Maruti SX4 VDi

Congratulation for New SX4. Its a great Car, Hope you "don't keep other things Waiting" as the ad puts it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Thanks!

"Man on diet" is SX4 because it guzzels less fuel, sips diesel and workouts more , and thanks for your wishes
Yes its really "man on Diet". What were your earlier (Swift VDI) FE figures ? It seems that you have got knack of Driving Diesels.
whitelion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2011, 22:25   #32
BHPian

Congrats Rajat for your SX4 ,

With SX4 Diesel Maruti gave its competition so good a run for the money that, others will take a long time to cope up. After Sales and service of Maruti being foremost.
adityadeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 11:28   #33
BHPian

Rajat, what happened to the photoshoot of your car?
Where are the pics dude???
powertrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 19:03   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelion View Post
Congratulation for New SX4. Its a great Car, Hope you "don't keep other things Waiting" as the ad puts it.

Yes its really "man on Diet". What were your earlier (Swift VDI) FE figures ? It seems that you have got knack of Driving Diesels.
Thanks whitelion, Swift VDi used to give 17-18 in the city without AC, 16-17 with AC, but then that used to be mostly bumper to bumper traffic (max speed 40 kmph)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adityadeva View Post
Congrats Rajat for your SX4 ,

With SX4 Diesel Maruti gave its competition so good a run for the money that, others will take a long time to cope up. After Sales and service of Maruti being foremost.
Thanks adityadeva

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertrain View Post
Rajat, what happened to the photoshoot of your car?
Where are the pics dude???
Patience my friend, shortly everyone here will be treated with some pics along with something special
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:17   #35
BHPian

Congratulations Rajat on the new car. I am curious about how convenient is driving this car in bumper to bumper traffic, something that I drive everyday. , SX4 D is in top of my future list of cars as it does not have low seats like many other sedans.

- I have read some reviews which mention the clutch is light (unlike typical heavy diesel clutch). Can you confirm this? I hope it is true. I am sure you can tell this better as you have driven a Swift diesel too.

- Does it pull easily in 2nd gear at very low speeds (10kmph) with AC On? What about the 1st gear, if you release it fully does it go too fast for crawling traffic.

thanks!
mohan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:44   #36
BHPian

Finally a SX4 D thread on the forum. Congrats. The FE figures too look promising. Although the pics are sorely missed.
One Query: How do you find the driveability, say when compared to a Swift or any other Multijet sibling?
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:53   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Congratulations Rajat on the new car. I am curious about how convenient is driving this car in bumper to bumper traffic, something that I drive everyday. , SX4 D is in top of my future list of cars as it does not have low seats like many other sedans.

- I have read some reviews which mention the clutch is light (unlike typical heavy diesel clutch). Can you confirm this? I hope it is true. I am sure you can tell this better as you have driven a Swift diesel too.

- Does it pull easily in 2nd gear at very low speeds (10kmph) with AC On? What about the 1st gear, if you release it fully does it go too fast for crawling traffic.

thanks!
Thanks mohan41, answers to your questions :
- yes it is indeed light, infact there is a i10 in the family, after driving it, SX4's clutch is what you will feel riding a Bajaj Pulsar, after riding a Bullet 350. Thats the kind of difference. Moreover its softer than the Swift D's clutch

- Never tried pulling the car in 2nd gear, because it strains the engine, will try it once I complete 5000 kms. Regarding 1st gear, its not too fast, infact most of the time I engage the 1st gear, and let the clutch go, the car smoothly rolls, never noticed the exact speed, but its not too fast for sure, I will check this and post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Finally a SX4 D thread on the forum. Congrats. The FE figures too look promising. Although the pics are sorely missed.
One Query: How do you find the driveability, say when compared to a Swift or any other Multijet sibling?
Thanks Utopian, the FE figures will definitely rise more, infact I will post the FE figures sometimes next week because recently I got the 1st service done and got the fuel tank topped up.
Driveability is better than the Swift due to the VGT and changed gear ratio. Punto 90 hp & Linea MJD both move like a brick as compared to the SX4, though they share the same engine, lighter weight and almost perfect gear box changes do the trick. The only factors where Punto & Linea score over SX4 are suspension (again thats a negative, because it scrapes most speed brakers), looks and handling (marred in SX4 due to its stiff suspension and height).

Guys, pics will be clicked and posted this weekend, and its a promise
rajatsingh78 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 21:58   #38
BHPian

Maruti certainly does know how to tune the Multijets well.
However, Punto does handles like a dream. Ride is just unmatched.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2011, 22:52   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian View Post
Punto does handles like a dream. Ride is just unmatched.
I agree on this, however, I don't like its low GC and soft suspension, it keeps scraping the speed brakers (have a Punto Emotion Pk in the family as well)
Old 26th June 2011, 22:42   #40
BHPian

First batch of pics,

Most appealing angle, I love this shot, almost looks like an angry bull to me

The badge that I think is the most sought after (atleast from the Maruti stable), this badge is synonym to "waiting", soon you might hear people saying "hey dude where are you, I am ddis at the bus stop"

The under bonnet padding is thinner but definitely of better quality as compared to the Swift D, there is also rubber beading on the front lip part of the bonnet to absorb vibrations

Height adjustable seat belts are on both the driver and the passenger side, this feature was not available in my Swift D 2007 model,

Dashboard plastic quality is definitely better than the cars from Fiat, Tata stable, and at par with the Honda City,

Noticed some extra equipment near the battery, any idea what this may be ? This was not present in my Swift D (red box)

The fuel filter is now at a very convenient location, in case of emergency, even a non-technical person can drain it,

The engine bay of SX4 D is quite occupied as compared to the SX4 P.
SX4 P engine bay has lots of empty space, red box is where the turbo charger is located,

The most important part that makes all the difference, Suzuki's "Super Turbo", marketing name for the variable geometry turbo unit

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 26th June 2011 at 22:50.
Old 4th July 2011, 00:10   #41
BHPian

Fuel efficiency update :
Total Kms so far = 1700 kms (approx.)

22.1 litre topped up for 406.9 kms, this turns out to be 18.41 kmpl , this is 2.03 kmpl more than the last fuel efficiency test,

This will increase because right now I am not using the 5th gear too much, this is just to avoid any unintentional engine lugging.

I am planning a weekend trip from Ghaziabad to Nainital, will post the highway mannerism of the car, along with fuel efficiency figures [car will be loaded with 5 adults and some luggage]
Old 9th July 2011, 01:07   #42
BHPian

Fuel efficiency update @ 2254 kms

35.257 litres topped up for 687.1 kms ; fuel efficiency = 19.49 kmpl,

Standard Operating Procedure - idle for 30-60 secs, not exceeding 2000 rpms until the engine temp needle is all the way to the middle, no AC either. Once optimum temperature is attained, drive normally, avoiding engine lugging and not exceeding 2500 rpms. Sometime give short burts of acceleration (in 4th gear)
Again, 5th gear usage is only when I am <=60 kmph

Time to time I push her to 2500 rpm in 5th gear, its very hard to control myself because the acceleration is very intoxicating, but then being lenient to car till it completes 5000 kms. It is surprising that a 1300 cc engine based car (which also weighs more that 1200 kgs) can be so fun to drive with such a great fuel efficiency. I am so far very happy of my decision of buying the SX4 D

Update - Fixed the wiper jet issue, the jet of water will be slow (after one dry wipe by the wiper) only if there is less water in the washer fluid reservoir, I tested this by topping it up to the brim and the issue got resolved. I will suggest all SX4 owners to test this in their cars.

Last edited by rajatsingh78 : 9th July 2011 at 01:13.
Old 10th July 2011, 10:35   #43
Senior - BHPian

I'am searching a better Diesel car currently. Need your inputs for below.

1) How is the engine pull in lower rpms? Supposing you are driving at 1800-2000 rpm and want to overtake a vehicle (say a lorry in highway), does the engine respond quickly after you push the accelerator? Or you need to downshift and then upshift again? Considering you are in 5th gear.
2) Does it hold 5 people comfortably in back seat?
3) Performance of engine: When the AC is on, is there a power lag?
snaronikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:45   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaronikar View Post
I'am searching a better Diesel car currently. Need your inputs for below.

1) How is the engine pull in lower rpms? Supposing you are driving at 1800-2000 rpm and want to overtake a vehicle (say a lorry in highway), does the engine respond quickly after you push the accelerator? Or you need to downshift and then upshift again? Considering you are in 5th gear.
2) Does it hold 5 people comfortably in back seat?
3) Performance of engine: When the AC is on, is there a power lag?
1. Engine pull is quite good, infact at 2000 rpm the car does 80 kmph, and pull is fantastic till 100 kmph, this is because I am not taking the car beyond 2500 rpm until it completes 5000 kms. But it seams as if I am riding some sort of rocket. Swift D had this issue because of FGT, I guess this is sorted out in SX4 D due to a VGT (if you want I can shoot a video for you)

2. I have yet to test this, maximum 4 people have traveled so far, but I feel only a hugely built person will be uncomfortable in the middle seat, that too on a very long non-stop journey. I don't think this should be a deal breaker because in most cases the cars in our household are not run packed to their capacity. It happens only once in a while

3. There is no engine lag, no loss of power, AC does not effect the engine performance what so ever
Old 10th July 2011, 14:57   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
I am not taking the car beyond 2500 rpm until it completes 5000 kms.
Any particular reason for this? Ideally you should be running in the engine only for the first 1000 kms. After that you should be using the rpms normally without any restriction. Also the higher rpms should have been used from 700 kms till 1000 kms.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote