Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th July 2011, 21:15   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Man on diet is here!! The Maruti SX4 VDi

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any particular reason for this? Ideally you should be running in the engine only for the first 1000 kms. After that you should be using the rpms normally without any restriction. Also the higher rpms should have been used from 700 kms till 1000 kms.
Are you pointing towards motoman's running-in method. If yes, its the most controversial and widely discussed method on the online forums. Maruti or infact the manual for the western markets does not recommend any kind of running in for SX4 D (1.9 DDiS for west).

But more practical reason was lack of proper road. I use my car daily from Indirapuram to Gurgaon (90-95 kms per day) and during the entire journey there is no place to stretch the legs of my SX4. in 5th gear it touches speeds in the following ratio -
1000 rpm - 40 kmph
2000 rpm - 80 kmph
so to touch the higher rpms like 3000 rpm it will cruise at 120 kmph, so on and so forth.

Maximum speed limit of 80 kmph is on the Delhi Gurgaon expressway, there too sometimes the entire traffic crawls at 50-60 kmph,

But I can do all the rpm range at lower gears..right? Incorrect in the case of SX4, in 4th gear it will do 60 kmph at 2000 rpm, 4000 rpm in the same ratio would mean 120 kmph, again lack of proper road issue. And though I might be incorrect, pushing the car in lower gears (1-3rd gear) just to cover the rpm range won't solve the purpose,

Please correct me if I am wrong here.
rajatsingh78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 22:35   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajatsingh78 View Post
Are you pointing towards motoman's running-in method. Maruti or infact the manual for the western markets does not recommend any kind of running in for SX4 D (1.9 DDiS for west).
I guess what I mentioned is known as Italian tune up or so. Not sure its the same as motoman's running-in. As you said, there are debates that the new gen engines don't need a running in. But I still do it & advise my friends because we don't lose anything by doing it. On the other hand we can ensure a good bedded engine and the best performance. And a 600 km restriction is always negligible when compared to the mileage we will clock on the odo.

Quote:
But more practical reason was lack of proper road. Maximum speed limit of 80 kmph is on the Delhi Gurgaon expressway, there too sometimes the entire traffic crawls at 50-60 kmph,
Oh, I thought you were reluctant to use the high rpms / 5th gear for some reason. Now I understand why you don't.

Quote:
And though I might be incorrect, pushing the car in lower gears (1-3rd gear) just to cover the rpm range won't solve the purpose,
Its akin to giving the engine a work out by high revving slightly. And yes, you can red line in 1 & 2 gears mainly. So its good to red line once in a while once the engine reaches the optimum temperature. Prolonged high revving might heat up the engine as well.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 12:53   #48
BHPian

Fuel efficiency update @ 2725 kms

25.61 litres topped up for 469.2 kms ; fuel efficiency = 18.32 kmpl,

This time the driving was at times enthusiastic and was sedate only in conjested traffic

Comments - No new rattles, however the initial rattle that I spoke about is back. It happens at a particular rpm in 3rd, 4th and 5th gear. Workshop diagnosis was some "top grill noise" from the dashboard, but I was able to locate the source of noise. Its coming from the place where the roof insulation meets the front windscreen, right next to the passenger side sun shade. I constantly ran the car in the rpm in which the sound was coming and then asked my cousin who was in the passenger seat to try to locate the source. Soon we were able to locate it and pushing the roof insulation when the sound was there would stop it.

Any idea what might be causing the rattling, shall I myself open the roof insulation to check or get it checked in the 5k service?

I don't know whether this is in my SX4 D alone, but the front windscreen and the inside rear view mirror vibrates at the certain RPMs,
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:36   #49
BHPian

Default First Highway Run For The Bull

Since a long time I was itching to do a highway run, finally decided to visit my parents in Agra today, so got up at 5, left home around 6.30 am;

Got the tank topped up at HP service station at Ashram, Delhi,

33.77litres topped up for 601.4 kms ; fuel efficiency = 17.8 kmpl,

This 601.4 kms run had lots of traffic jams and bumper to bumper traffic, plus spirited driving at times to give the higher rpm run-in to the car (but still below 3500)

Highway Driveability - Engine is very responsive from 80 kmph all the way to 120 kmph (in 5th gear), I never had to downshift to overtake trucks, lorries etc. Till the time the rpm is above 1800 rpm, the car's response would give me a smile. After 120 kmph the engine noise is more than a hum but still well below as compared to my earlier ride (Swift VDi). The steering becomes quite sensitive at 120 kmph+ speeds, which in some way is good in case you have to make any emergency steering. I cruised mostly at arnd 100 kmph because Agra-Delhi highway is infested with running buffaloes, unguided missiles (tractor+trolley), village women crossing the highway in full viel as if the commuters are their to cast an evil eye on them, plus their pace is as if its a park not NH2.

Braking - Braking is quite good but may be its a bigger and heavier car I found it not as quick as the Swift VDi, but I would still say it is not confidence killing

Comfort - I was so much into driving that I do not remember complaining about anything, during a midway break I asked my wife and cousin about the ride quality. Both found it positive and better than my Swift VDi and Swift Dzire (my cousin owns it)

Damage - I dont know from where, I guess from a bus in front of me, a flying pebble (propelled by the bus' tyre) hit my windscreen and chipped off the glass. Though its just as big as a small drop of water, it is an eye sore to me. I am planning to take the car to the "Windshield Experts" once I am back in Delhi to get it checked and fixed. Any ideas from anyone here who might have faced a similar situation?

Highway par kitna deti hai (whats the average on highway) - Will post the figures once I am back in Delhi tomorrow and do the top up.
Old 23rd July 2011, 15:44   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Damage - I dont know from where, I guess from a bus in front of me, a flying pebble (propelled by the bus' tyre) hit my windscreen and chipped off the glass. Though its just as big as a small drop of water, it is an eye sore to me. I am planning to take the car to the "Windshield Experts" once I am back in Delhi to get it checked and fixed. Any ideas from anyone here who might have faced a similar situation?
It often happens on highway drives and it hurts a lot. Just take it to windshield experts and they will patch up the spot and it will be OK.

It has happened with my WagonR but was a more serious one which included changing of complete glass.

Last edited by bluevolt : 23rd July 2011 at 15:45.
bluevolt is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:32   #51
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: First Free Service Update

Quote:
Got the car serviced at 973 kms (1000 kms was recommended) because daily running is around 90 kms and week long usage would have exceeded the 1000 kms limit.

Service Center - Motorcraft, Sahibabad Industrial Area
Work Done - Engine Oil Change, 15W40 Mobil 2.9 Litres
Issues Reported -
Went around 12.30 pm to pick the car, took the test drive, got stupid answers for the 5% rattling/noise left like "sir this is a diesel car", "sir its the noise of the turbo" etc.
Best part came when I went for billing, the guy who was did the billing just gave a bill and no feedback form, when I asked him about the feedback form that is used for atleast the first three free services, he said "its not required", when I insisted he unwillingly gave me one with proper information printed on it,

I think the dealerships are filling the forms themselves to avoid any issues

Apart from the car service I would mark the service center at 6 which is "unacceptable" as per Maruti standards (only 10 & 9 are considered Excellent and good, respectively)

3C's Rating
Car Service - 9/10
Cost - 10/10
Customer Service - 6/10 [Long faced SAs & over-smart cashier)

OVERALL - 8/10
Rajat,
I own a petrol SX4 . I get it serviced from Motorcraft Noida ( Sector 8). My experience with them has been excellent over the last 3 1/4 years I have owned the car. Perhaps you got a technician who had something bothering him/ was a grumpy fellow.

Congratulations on your purchase. The SX 4 Diesel is a very good car. MSIL made a major mistake by not launching it two years earlier. Now it looks a bit long in the tooth against the likes of the Verna and the Vento.

It would possibly have dethorned City from its perch in the mid size segment had it hit the showrooms earlier.

The mileage you have been getting is great. Please keep updating the thread regularly.

Wish you many years of Happy Motoring.

Rajneesh
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th July 2011, 13:03   #52
BHPian

Yesterday I got a call in the evening from Maruti Customer Excellence representative who wanted to visit my place and take feedback on my SX4 D. I asked him whether he was coming from a dealer or Maruti. He confirmed that he is from Maruti and would come tomorrow (27th July) at 9.00 am.

Today sharp at 9 am he called me that he is waiting in my society's car parking. I was quite delighted and happy that Maruti takes care of its customer on a one-to-one basis.
We sat in the car and he asked for any issue, I had 1 issue and 2 questions,

Issue - Car roof and dashboard vibrations at certain rpms
Questions - Steering movement from center to left is butter smooth, but from center to right is a bit notchy. Sometimes after prolonged no use, like when I start from office in the evening, when I turn on the AC, there is a pressure release kind of sound from the bottom of the car

We went for a test drive and had lots of technical discussion about DDiS engines. He acknowledged the fact that the vibration and little sound is there because of my driving style. He said that I am trying to pull the car in the lower gear so it happens. To This I put the car in 4th gear and made him listen to the vibration at around 30 kmph. Now he was silent. Then he went on saying how these vibrations are normal in all SX4 Diesels.

I told him that I have checked it in 2 other cars and this is not there. When he was not able to convince me, he said "Sir, let me tell you the truth...this engine is quite small as compared to the size of the car", I was literally shocked on this response, I told him that Fiat Linea and Tata Manza have the same engine and are heavier then SX4. Then started an argument that all these three cars have different engines, I tried hard to convince him that all are Fiat technology based 1.3 MJD with VGT engines, but he wont budge and kept on repeating that all the different engines with no similarities. When he was so technically illiterate I gave up because I already wasted around 30 minutes of my morning time.

This chap's one of the comments "Sir, I was in quality check department and used to check many vehicles for issues, now moved to customer excellence team"; I asked him to explain "Customer Excellence", there was no response from him but an errie silence.
Come on, you dont know what your department means how can you do justice to the job!

I told him about teambhp, to which he said that everything on the internet is false and he is least interested to know what is happening on the internet, he likes to read books instead, he went on saying that he doesnt even has an internet banking account for this reason. To all this I felt sorry for this poor chap and told him right on the face that he is an internet illiterate and need to get his basics right else he will be never catch up with the modern educated customer who does a lot of forum posting and reading.

For my other two questions he said that I need to get the tyre pressure checked and if the issue is still there contact the dealer. For the AC pressure release noise he said that its there in all new cars from Maruti due to some design change in the AC compressor, can anyone please confirm this ?

Verdict - This visit was purely a waste of time for me, I do not know why Maruti is doing this, investing lot of time and money in sending people around to take feedback. They should instead post a form by courier, those who wish to provide feedback (people like me) will definitely respond. Lot of loopholes in this feedback. The feedback form can be destroyed and closure comments added that customer not interested in filling the form. These visits were there earlier as well. I remember a similar visit from Maruti within 2-3 months of my Swift VDi purchase. But at that time the experience and response of the representative was exceptionally good. He was also tagging along the customer care manager of the nearest Maruti workshop to ensure that he listens to what I have to say and take necessary action. Feedback form then was a neatly color printed form, this time it was a photocopy which was hardly visible. Either Maruti has started being more environment friendly by saying "NO" to color prints or they are trying to save money

Slightly off topic, I took the car yesterday to Windshield Experts in NOIDA,the technician who first checked said that they can fix it but if the crack enlarges during the process it will be my responsibility. We had a 5 minutes risk analysis, I asked him what is the percentage etc etc. Having satisfied myself that the crack increase risk is minimal I gave a go ahead. He went back to the workshop, came back and said that the resin is finished and I was directed to some workshop in Delhi. I was very annoyed on this because in the morning itself I confirmed my appointment. I met the manager who said that resin is there but the staff was not aware. Then the manager inspected the crack and told me that the front glass is made of 3 layers, I cut him short and told him that its outer glass, middle some plastic based sheet and last layer glass. I did this to make sure that he knows he is not talking to someone who does not know anything. I went on saying that this chip is "bulls-eye" type to which he agreed. Anyways, he said that there is no penetration in the first layer so this wont require any fix. If I insist he will have to drill a small hole in the upper later and then fill the resin. Moral of the story - no was willing to do this ding and since I spoke to the manager I had no choice but to wait if the crack increases.
Old 29th July 2011, 16:28   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly off topic, I took the car yesterday to Windshield Experts in NOIDA,the technician who first checked said that they can fix it but if the crack enlarges during the process it will be my responsibility. We had a 5 minutes risk analysis, I asked him what is the percentage etc etc. Having satisfied myself that the crack increase risk is minimal I gave a go ahead. He went back to the workshop, came back and said that the resin is finished and I was directed to some workshop in Delhi. I was very annoyed on this because in the morning itself I confirmed my appointment. I met the manager who said that resin is there but the staff was not aware. Then the manager inspected the crack and told me that the front glass is made of 3 layers, I cut him short and told him that its outer glass, middle some plastic based sheet and last layer glass. I did this to make sure that he knows he is not talking to someone who does not know anything. I went on saying that this chip is "bulls-eye" type to which he agreed. Anyways, he said that there is no penetration in the first layer so this wont require any fix. If I insist he will have to drill a small hole in the upper later and then fill the resin. Moral of the story - no was willing to do this ding and since I spoke to the manager I had no choice but to wait if the crack increases.
Suggest you to check the following:
  • Does the visibilty through wind screen gets affected, when you drive the car in rain with wipers working during night ?
Water has a tendency to seep through small chips/ cracks in the first layer & then spread finely into laminated sheet!

In case of bad/ poor visibility, the Defogger/ Heater/ AC can be directed to windscreen.

Though this is not an alarming situation intially but if one tries to live with the situation, the lamination gets damaged over a period. The situation can become worse during prolonged night driving during rains!
breezydrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2011, 18:04   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezydrive View Post
Suggest you to check the following:
  • Does the visibilty through wind screen gets affected, when you drive the car in rain with wipers working during night ?
Water has a tendency to seep through small chips/ cracks in the first layer & then spread finely into laminated sheet!

In case of bad/ poor visibility, the Defogger/ Heater/ AC can be directed to windscreen.

Though this is not an alarming situation intially but if one tries to live with the situation, the lamination gets damaged over a period. The situation can become worse during prolonged night driving during rains!
There is absolutely no issue in visibility at night (even during the rain),

Since there is no penetration in the first layer, I think there is no question of water seepage in the middle layer, infact upon further discussion within my family I spoke to someone who has this crack since 1-2 years now with no issues at all. If there is any microscopic penetration, then this will surely lead to water/moisture seeping in, which in turn will slowly enlarge the crack, and this is what the Windshield Expert's manager told me, and then I can take it for repair,

Another problem is that there is no option for a second opinion because I think only Windshield Experts are the one who take care of such repairs, second option is to get a DIY kit for around 10 $ from ebay and try fixing but chances of failure are high because I have never tried something like this.

So for now I am leaving the chip-off just as it is, keeping it as a evil-eye repellant,
Old 1st August 2011, 15:19   #55
BHPian

Fuel efficiency update @ 3900 kms

This is a pending update that I was suppose to post last Monday when I returned from Agra,

Total Km ran - 639.2 km
Total Fuel used - 36.36 litres
Efficiency - 17.68 kmpl

Out of this 639.2 kms 450 kms were on highway, rest 189 kms were within city. The highway driving was quite spirited with lots of 80-130 kmph sprints. I was expecting 20 kmpl + figures but I guess the spirited driving marred this.
Old 7th August 2011, 18:43   #56
BHPian

Congrags on the sx4.Am going for the same vdi but in white.I am told there is a waiting period of 3-4 months.Any information regarding this?

1.Did you get any freebies or offers?
2.Can you please give the details of the final bill.

Anybody else who have any knowledge about these are welcome to answer.
revintup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th August 2011, 17:12   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revintup View Post
Congrags on the sx4.Am going for the same vdi but in white.I am told there is a waiting period of 3-4 months.Any information regarding this?

1.Did you get any freebies or offers?
2.Can you please give the details of the final bill.

Anybody else who have any knowledge about these are welcome to answer.
Yes there is a waiting of 2-3 months here, I did not get any freebies, the only thing that I was able to get was the car in 10 days flat using my contacts in Maruti, plus the day I took the delivery there was a Rs.20,000 off for old Maruti customers, I will PM the details later because I will need to search for it.
Old 12th August 2011, 18:06   #58
BANNED

The pressure release sound is also present in my Estilo and my SE also said it's normal. As for average I believe that as reported in Manza Thread the average decreases once past 80-90Kmph same might be case with SX4
drsnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 00:25   #59
BHPian

Second Free Inspection/Service - 5134 km

Service Center - Motorcraft, Sahibabad Industrial Area
Work Done - General check up, wheel alignment & balancing

Issues Reported -
1. Little rusting near fuel tank cap
2. Squeaking noise while suddenly applying brakes
3. Slight rear wobbling at 130 kmph+

Comments -
1. Rust was taken care by slight touch up at the concerned spot
2. Front brakes were cleaned
3. Wheel alignment and balancing was done with 4 tyre rotation

Cost Break-up -
Parts
Weight = Rs. 165
Screen Wash Concentrate = Rs. 13.22
Distilled Water = Rs. 13.22
Labour
Wheel Balancing (4 Wheel) = Rs. 300
Wheel Alignment = Rs. 350
Total Amount (with tax) = Rs. 934

3C's Rating
Car Service - 9/10
Cost - 10/10
Customer Service - 9/10

OVERALL - 9/10

The squeaky sound while applying brakes didn't go away, so I again took the car to the service center and after 10-15 minutes of driving around with the best service technician we were able to get the issue identified. Rear brakes needed cleaning and hand brake needed some adjustment. This squeaking would disappear when the car was driven with the handbrake pulled one notch. Waited for 30-40 minutes and the car was back, this time the issue was resolved completely.

While discussing the car with Mr. Rahul Dutt (Service GM), we discovered that the turbo intercooler on SX4 D is quite huge, it runs along almost the entire length of the front bumper. While in the other DDiS (Swift, Ritz) this is quite small. He said that this is another reason why this engine is different from that of Swift/Ritz. This enhances the cooling of the turbo gases manifold.
Old 27th August 2011, 13:26   #60
BHPian

Fuel efficiency update @ 5700 kms (didnt note the exact Odo reading but this is approximate based on my current reading)

Total Km ran - 592.5 km
Total Fuel used - 34.59 litres
Efficiency - 17.1 kmpl

Other Update - Of lately I have realized that the in-cabin engine noise and harshness has increased a bit, I never realized this in my earlier Swift D because it was gradual and Swift was not as silent as SX4 D.

In bumper to bumper traffic when I have to use the clutch a lot I feel that now more vibration is transmitted (through the clutch pedal) then it used to be sometime back.

Anything that I can get checked, one thing to be noted here is that SX4 D has hydraulic engine mounts should I get them checked ?

Otherwise the car is performing like a rocket.