Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th June 2011, 20:36   #16
BHPian

Default re: Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia

Congrats for the buy mate! Cedia is a very nice vehicle and I'm sure it will last for a long time to come.

I know many would feel that 100k is a lot for India but actually most cars of this age that you find at pre-owned dealers have actually done around the same mileage but their odos have been tampered with. This gives us the impression that we would easily get a vehicle this old with much less mileage under it's belt. But that's really hard in metro cities.
Just look at carwale, almost all cars have done 55k regardless of their age . Only the direct owner cars usually show higher mileage.

Anyways, wish you many many happy miles ahead!

Last edited by goingout : 6th June 2011 at 20:40.
goingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 14:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Update:
Night driving is becoming difficult. Lot of light 'dispersion' from oncoming vehicles.
The windshield apparently has come to end of life (I am told the life span is just 2-3 years!)

Time to replace the windshield. I will post details once this is done.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 15:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new acquisition S_U_N!
The Cedia is gleaming as is the sparkling new car seat. Do you expect to join the next Pune meet? It would be great to meet up
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2011, 16:09   #19
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Update:
Night driving is becoming difficult. Lot of light 'dispersion' from oncoming vehicles.
The windshield apparently has come to end of life (I am told the life span is just 2-3 years!)

Time to replace the windshield. I will post details once this is done.
Or you could go for a windshield polish, will cost about 1800-2000 INR. It really reduces oncoming headlight glare on older windshields.

Windshield life span is 2-3 years? Thats a bit surprising. IMHO, they last much longer.

Last edited by dot : 15th June 2011 at 16:11.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 10:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Congrats on the new acquisition S_U_N!
The Cedia is gleaming as is the sparkling new car seat. Do you expect to join the next Pune meet? It would be great to meet up
Yes. Let me know when and where in advance. I still have some work to be done on the car. Hopefully I would get that done in a couple of weeks from now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Or you could go for a windshield polish, will cost about 1800-2000 INR. It really reduces oncoming headlight glare on older windshields.

Windshield life span is 2-3 years? Thats a bit surprising. IMHO, they last much longer.
Saw you this morning on Nagar Road in your Civic while I was waiting for my company transport.

I was told that I could do buffing, but that would last for only 6-8 months only. In any case, I am expected to shell out approx 1700 INR for the new windshield (sealant cost + claim cost). That seems a better option at the moment.

Last tank fill indicated an average of 12.5 kmpl. Almost 75% was on highways. The rest mostly in bumper to bumper traffic. AC was used almost 100%, and at higher blower speeds.

Last edited by S_U_N : 16th June 2011 at 10:15.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. Let me know when and where in advance. I still have some work to be done on the car. Hopefully I would get that done in a couple of weeks from now.
Keep an eye on this thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...-road-104.html

Originally proposed for June 25/26 but now it looks like sometime on July 2/3. All suggestions are most welcome!
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 11:04   #22
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Saw you this morning on Nagar Road in your Civic while I was waiting for my company transport.
Do you wait near the HDFC bank ATM? Will keep a look out for you henceforth. Wanted to check out the Cedia during the meet, but could not spot you after we talked.

Quote:
I was told that I could do buffing, but that would last for only 6-8 months only. In any case, I am expected to shell out approx 1700 INR for the new windshield (sealant cost + claim cost). That seems a better option at the moment.
Yes, costwise this seems to be better than the polish.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2011, 11:54   #23
Senior - BHPian

Yes. A little after the the spot where the 6-seaters are waiting. However, I usually come there just in time for my bus. Hardly wait for a minute or two.

I left at 11 PM after the meet, since my colleague, Rahul, who was with me had to reach home before 1230. Hence could not meet up again after dinner.
Old 24th June 2011, 22:39   #24
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidousha View Post
congratulations sun, seems to be a good bargain.
Could you post some pictures of the engine bay?
Attaching a photo of the engine bay - not very clean - but I don't know where I can get it cleaned without causing any problems.
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110018.jpg

I have upgraded my headlamps to 100/90 Phillips bulbs.
The lights are extermely powerful and get very hot.
However based on night test drives, I realized that the focus is way above where it should be. Tried vertical adjustment at my trusted garage, but the reflector does not move beyond a certain point.
Then I noticed that there is a big gap in front of the reflector (for both L and R).
See photo.
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110001.jpg

We opened up the bumper, took the head light out and removed the gap. But this made matters worse for me. The light does not go where it should.
Some photos of the car with the head light removed.
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110022.jpg
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110023.jpg

Also the left reflector has got black spots and there are broken glass pieces inside.
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110009.jpg

Notice the damage on the extreme right side in the photo below.
Buying a car - a journey by itself: Mitsubishi Cedia-p1110008.jpg
I think A.S.S. did not do a good job - and maybe installed a duplicate piece when the lamp was changed by previous owner.

I am not able to procure a new reflector and a complete headlamp unit is around Rs. 5500.

Last edited by S_U_N : 24th June 2011 at 22:52.
Old 10th July 2011, 16:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Did a 2500 KM roundtrip and just back.
Overall, fun to drive factor is apparent. Long drives are not tiring, which is also a bonus.
However, I noticed that the steering is light even at high speeds. Not very pleased with this.
Also, tyres losing grip during rains. The car tends to skid when it goes through water. I observed that the front tyres are worn out.

Met with minor accident on the trip.
A lorry hit from on the right causing some deep scratches and dents.
Hit a divider in the night during heavy rains. Shock absorber is bent.
Also damaged a tyre when it got punctured.

Is is OK to put BS Potenza III 195/65/15 instead of the default 195/60/15?

Mileage: 14-14.5 km/ l on normal petrol (with 2-4 people on board and 90% AC ON).

Last edited by S_U_N : 10th July 2011 at 16:18.
Old 10th July 2011, 19:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Met with minor accident on the trip.
A lorry hit from on the right causing some deep scratches and dents.
Hit a divider in the night during heavy rains. Shock absorber is bent.
Also damaged a tyre when it got punctured.
What you got man? Please take care . How much did a shocker cost..7k or something??

Quote:
Is is OK to put BS Potenza III 195/65/15 instead of the default 195/60/15?
195/65/15 is absolutely fine. Anything upsize or downsize of overall diameter within 3% is safe.

Quote:
Mileage: 14-14.5 km/ l on normal petrol (with 2-4 people on board and 90% AC ON).
Wooo.. thats some FE with 2-4 people onboard.. Looks like you stick to speed limits.. do you?

Last edited by gaurav_chopra04 : 10th July 2011 at 19:56.
gaurav_chopra04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 22:33   #27
Senior - BHPian

I have still not got anything done to the car. Will need some free time to get everything fixed. One shocker costs around Rs. 4K as far as I remember (not from A.S.S, though).

I will be claiming insurance, but still trying to find out more information:
1. How many claims can I make in one year?
2. Is there a minimum gap required between two claims?
3. How soon can I make a claim after an accident? Can I delay the claim by say a couple of weeks?
4. What is not covered in insurance? e.g. if my headlight is broken, will that be covered? What about tyres which have got damaged due to accident?

On another note:
I am considering used tyres (done 20K) for Rs. 10K - set of 5. Yet to inspect those before finalizing.
A new tyre costs around Rs. 5K.

As regards to mileage, I am actually a tad disappointed with the FE. I was expecting to cross 15 with minimal braking, but could not achieve that ever. But there is always next time.
Old 11th July 2011, 18:13   #28
BHPian

hey S_U_N, take care man.
trust you all occupants are safe.
Somehow missed to notice your this ownership thread, great to know about your new possession. A colleague of mine was not ready to accept that its a pre-worshiped one, really!
Congrats and drive safe.
iSpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 10:01   #29
Senior - BHPian

The car built quality is good. Although there was a very loud noise during the divider impact, there was no visible damage from outside. The tyre got chipped off and the alloy rim got slightly bent at one spot.
All occupants are safe.
Old 11th August 2011, 11:40   #30
BHPian

A late post, but discovered this thread today.
Sorry to hear about accident, did you get chance to do repairs? Where are you looking for non-A*S parts for Cedia, my mechanic in Pune said he gets them from Mumbai!
shyaGO is offline   Reply With Quote