Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 16:53   #106
BHPian
 
abhi1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 441
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Just asked my friend who has a Superb DSG TSi. His low oil warning came on at around 5000kms. He topped up about a litre from Skoda A.S.S. Was charged around 1000bucks.
I was concerned since I drive a Laura TSi. Here is my ownership thread actually. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ra-1-8tsi.html It's done about 1500kms.
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th October 2011, 17:43   #107
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,791
Thanked: 3,032 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhi1309 View Post
Just asked my friend who has a Superb DSG TSi. His low oil warning came on at around 5000kms. He topped up about a litre from Skoda A.S.S. Was charged around 1000bucks.
I was concerned since I drive a Laura TSi. Here is my ownership thread actually. http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ra-1-8tsi.html It's done about 1500kms.
Keep a litre of Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 with you. Check the oil level via the dipstick periodically for the next few thousand kms. If it is close to min then top up slowly about 250 ml at a time, checking via dipstick constantly to ensure that you do not put excess oil. You can do it yourself without going to the A.S.S. if you follow the owner's manual to the book. You need not necessarily wait for the low oil lamp to light up.

For the record, I topped up about 750 ml at 3,000 Kms on my TSI which has so far completed 7,000 kms and the oil level is currently hovering close to 75% full mark on the dipstick.

P.S : YOur ownership thread is not visible mate. You may want to request the mods to move it out of the assembly line.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2011, 10:21   #108
BHPian
 
abhi1309's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 441
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Keep a litre of Shell Helix Ultra 5W 40 with you. Check the oil level via the dipstick periodically for the next few thousand kms. If it is close to min then top up slowly about 250 ml at a time, checking via dipstick constantly to ensure that you do not put excess oil. You can do it yourself without going to the A.S.S. if you follow the owner's manual to the book. You need not necessarily wait for the low oil lamp to light up.

For the record, I topped up about 750 ml at 3,000 Kms on my TSI which has so far completed 7,000 kms and the oil level is currently hovering close to 75% full mark on the dipstick.

P.S : YOur ownership thread is not visible mate. You may want to request the mods to move it out of the assembly line.
Thanks thank thanks so much for summarizing it. You sure about 5W40 right? If so, I'll check the dip stick today and every week and buy this as required. Saves the trouble of going to Skoda A.S.S which is 30kms from my place.

I will ask the mods, no wonder I am not getting any comments
abhi1309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th February 2012, 04:24   #109
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Clocked 8000 kms so far, and other than the 3000km Oil Top up, I have not done any more so far.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd June 2012, 21:19   #110
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Completed one year of joyful driving on this beast. Though petrol prices have risen meteorically, no regrets on choosing the TSI over the TDI.

Given the car for its first service at Senator Skoda. Impressed. The total damage inside 10k. Much lesser that I anticipated.

Will have the scanned bill uploaded later.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2012, 02:28   #111
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 252
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Completed one year of joyful driving on this beast. Though petrol prices have risen meteorically, no regrets on choosing the TSI over the TDI.

Given the car for its first service at Senator Skoda. Impressed. The total damage inside 10k. Much lesser that I anticipated.

Will have the scanned bill uploaded later.
Hi Cedricsg, came across this thread of yours today. Test drove the laura tsi and came back mighty impressed. I contacted senator skoda incidently. Good to know that you had a good experience with them. Skoda's *** is the only thing that is making me think twice before even discussing buying the tsi with my family. Lets see how it goes. Though all the TSI threads seem to be suggesting to close my eyes and just go ahead with the buy.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2012, 16:56   #112
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Shreyas, I was in the same dilemma & took a risk. So far it has been a great experience. My wife drives a Maruti Wagon R & we recently gave it for service, which was pathetic. I think Skoda is really working on getting their act together from the service front. It has to, if it wants to retain the number 1 position in the C segment with its Rapid.
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2012, 10:20   #113
BHPian
 
Shreyas Aterkar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 252
Thanked: 138 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Thanks, cedricsg. I have almost made up my mind to buy a Laura TSI Ambition because the driving pleasure is so amazing that it cannot be expressed, it can only be felt. Have made up my mond to take the risk of skoda. So a final go ahead from the family and hopefully the beauty will be home.

Last edited by Shreyas Aterkar : 31st August 2012 at 10:22.
Shreyas Aterkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:17   #114
BHPian
 
megazoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 183
Thanked: 128 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by cedricsg View Post
Symptoms, was plain and simple. The needle in the fuel gauge just dropped to E and refused to jump, even with a full tank. I must admit Skoda was very effective in solving this. Thumbs up to them for this. Skoda Aurangabad called me informing that the part reached JMD Kandivali, booked an appointment and the part was changed and all technicalities of the fuel pump was explained to me. So, I would rate my 1st experience of JMD Kandivali as good. Hope the subsequent ones, don't change my opinion about them. Received an analysis from Aurangabad, saying that it was probably the quality of fuel. I am not buying this and I am sure the pump was faulty. I always fill premium fuel from a reputed pump, and I am continuing to do so. As a precaution, I am using the following 2 measures while filling fuel. (a) Don't wait for the tank to be completely empty. Fill it at 50% levels. (b) Don't fill fuel till the brim. Stop it at the first click by the nozzle.

Was there starting trouble or jerking while driving? That would indicate fuel pump failure. Just the needle going dead should be a more trivial problem. Would like a little more info here.
megazoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 08:26   #115
BHPian
 
SedatedDrive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Concord, NH
Posts: 263
Thanked: 130 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Great car! I feel the after market seat cover work could have been better finished for a car of this class based on the interior photos. Wish you many many happy and safe miles!
SedatedDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th November 2012, 12:47   #116
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedatedDrive
Great car! I feel the after market seat cover work could have been better finished for a car of this class based on the interior photos. Wish you many many happy and safe miles!
Thanks mate. The Stanley leather is good & I liked the finish, especially the way they stitched this on the car. You need to see the car in person I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by megazoid

Was there starting trouble or jerking while driving? That would indicate fuel pump failure. Just the needle going dead should be a more trivial problem. Would like a little more info here.
No starting trouble at all. Just the fuel needle going kaput. Basically just a display problem, not an engine issue at all.

Just took the TSI for a spin to Mahabaleshwar. The refinement and power of this engine has really spoilt me. I test drove the BMW 328i and it's so unrefined in front of the TSI. Also given that the new 1.8 TSI comes only with the DQ200 DSG, happy I brought this beauty when I did. Drove the Merc A class. Can't relate to how you can pay 2 TSI money for such an inferior product.......

Mod Note: Post edited. Please do not mention high street speeds. Team-BHP supports safe driving practices at all times. Also, please use the Multi-quote button rather than making consecutive posts.

Last edited by Rehaan : 19th November 2013 at 18:09. Reason: Please take a look at the mod note that has been added to the end of your post.
cedricsg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th May 2014, 12:52   #117
BHPian
 
cedricsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 140
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: My Turbo Beast: Laura TSI 2011 : CS

Its been 3 years of ownership and the experience so far has been wonderful. The 1.8 turbo petrol is still smooth, free revving and continues to plaster that grin on my face. Guys who drive this, would be able to relate.

Costs of ownership so far @ 28500 KMS:
1st Service: Rs. 7385
2nd Service : Rs 15615
3rd Service : Rs 17630 (Oil Change, Oil, Air, Fuel and Polen filter change, Cowl top clean and other routines)

Repairs/ Additions so far:
Stanley Leather
VKool
Battery change

Things that I continue to like in this car:
1.Good build, soft plastics, great interiors
2.Gem of an engine, powerful and refined. Sit down in a 328i and you will see how refined this is in comparison (I am not talking about power at the moment)
3.Skoda service experience (Strange but true.....so far)
4.Audio system

Things that have not been good:
1.Driving this in peak traffic. Being a manual stick, this is just not meant for a 10-20km/ hr driving situation. Considering a Polo GT as a daily runabout for this (just like other bhpians).
2.Lack of auto dimming mirror and foldable mirrors. The silent skip at least for the dimming rear view mirror.
3.My fuel gauge going kaput so early. But that got replaced in warranty and post that no issue at all.
4.Standard tyre size of 15. Plan to upgrade it soon.

The joy of a driving a manual turbo petrol is second to none. This is a great car and I am happy that I got this when I got it, as the current Octavia 1.8 comes in DSG (DQ200). Its been of great value so far, and honestly even when I compare it with the big 3 germans (C,3 and 4) its feels wow. The true upgrade from an owner's perspective for a car like this will be interesting.

Mods, pls move this to long term ownership.
cedricsg is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks