Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 2nd July 2011, 20:23   #46
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: VAGing my Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
luky_13 I am a bit of a novice here, what exactly do you mean by "needle sweep or staging"?

and one more thing...aren't you concerned you might void your warranty? and that too on a Skoda?
Instrument cluster staging


Don't think small tid-bits like this are going to void warranty. Just enabling things that exist and have been put into the car by Skoda and I'm assuming that they were not drunk at that time.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 22:24   #47
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,782
Thanked: 3,009 Times
Default Re: VAGing my Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
Don't think small tid-bits like this are going to void warranty. Just enabling things that exist and have been put into the car by Skoda and I'm assuming that they were not drunk at that time.
The speedo and tacho needles on my car do a sweep exactly like that when I turn the key to 'battery on'. I wait for it finish its sweep before turning it to ignition.

Isn't it supposed to be like that by default?
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 07:43   #48
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: VAGing my Laura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The speedo and tacho needles on my car do a sweep exactly like that when I turn the key to 'battery on'. I wait for it finish its sweep before turning it to ignition.

Isn't it supposed to be like that by default?
Never happened in mine, I had to activate it.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:41   #49
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Activated two more features successfully using VAG-COM
  1. Cornering lights - individual fogs get activated on turning the steering.
  2. Auto-Lock - all doors automatically lock once the car touches 15 kmph
  3. Auto-Unlock - all doors unlock as soon as the FOB key is pulled out of the ignition
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 17:59   #50
BHPian
 
vinj14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 259 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

This is some great stuff lukcy13! Is there a 'vcds for dummies book' :-)? I would need one of those to unlock these hidden treasures! Seriously, this is like one of those games with cheat codes!
Im determined to get all this stuff done to my car. Just need to find the right people with the right knowledge.
Just a quick question. The cornering lights come into effect only when the fogs are off right? For those who have their fogs on at night this feature wont really work right?
Also do the DRL's stay on when the headlight is turned on?
I apologise in advance if my questions do seem lame! But we dummies gotta start somewhere :-)!
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 18:18   #51
BHPian
 
crackingride's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: bangalore
Posts: 267
Thanked: 13 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by razor4077 View Post
Hmm, the reason I asked is that the pdf mentions that Skoda Shield isn't a mirror image of the normal warranty. So I assumed there would be some differences in the dos and don'ts in the two. Maybe some existing/former owners can also pitch in?
According to people I have interacted with at Priority Auto, Goa, in relation to a Yeti purchase, there is a cap on the mileage you can drive using Skoda shield. If you drive more than 100K in the four years, it is invalid, or some such (hearsay, so far!) If that is true, it means 25K a year, which for a diesel, works out to 2k a month... not the best way to wring the efficiencies of a diesel out of the purchase.

Is that the actual case? Anyone care to qualify this?
crackingride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 18:25   #52
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Im determined to get all this stuff done to my car. Just need to find the right people with the right knowledge.
I'm sure there must be bhpians in and around Chennai who have and can lend you a VAG-COM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
Just a quick question. The cornering lights come into effect only when the fogs are off right? For those who have their fogs on at night this feature wont really work right?
Also do the DRL's stay on when the headlight is turned on?
I apologise in advance if my questions do seem lame! But we dummies gotta start somewhere :-)!
Correct, cornering lights are usable only when the fogs are off. DRL's turn off when headlights turn on.

Page 52 of the user manual mentions something on activating DRL's, I tried it and it worked on my car. I'm not sure if it was because I had activated them using a VAG-COM. Give it a try.

Activating the function daylight driving lights
  • Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel upto 3 seconds after switching on the ignition at the same time, slide it to the bottom and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.
luky_13 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 20:50   #53
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
According to people I have interacted with at Priority Auto, Goa, in relation to a Yeti purchase, there is a cap on the mileage you can drive using Skoda shield. If you drive more than 100K in the four years, it is invalid, or some such (hearsay, so far!) If that is true, it means 25K a year, which for a diesel, works out to 2k a month... not the best way to wring the efficiencies of a diesel out of the purchase.

Is that the actual case? Anyone care to qualify this?
You are right the cap on SkodaShield is 100,000 Kms in 4 years. In fact its better than something, personally I plan to retain the car for not more than a lakh in any case - its suits just fine.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 18:04   #54
BHPian
 
vinj14's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 305
Thanked: 259 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
[*]Pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering wheel upto 3 seconds after switching on the ignition at the same time, slide it to the bottom and hold it in this position for at least 3 seconds.[/list]
OK this is interesting. I dont need vcds to activate DRLs?

The steps do seem a little confusing though. Do i pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering and then slide it down or is pulling it towards the steering and down a single step?
All this immediately after switching on the ignition?
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 18:10   #55
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
OK this is interesting. I dont need vcds to activate DRLs?

The steps do seem a little confusing though. Do i pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering and then slide it down or is pulling it towards the steering and down a single step?
All this immediately after switching on the ignition?
  1. Pull the turn signal lever towards the steering within 3 seconds on turning on the ignition.
  2. Holding it in that state slide it down immediately and hold it there for 3 seconds. Once the DRL's are activated you can hear a chime. Do the opposite i.e. slide it towards the top for deactivating them.
luky_13 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 18:49   #56
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: New delhi
Posts: 120
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

A very well written initial report of Laura and may you have a pleasant experience with the skoda car.

Nevertheless, I would like to know something : Is there a deliberate way in which these DSG fitted cars are driven--especially in terms of driver's input to accelerator pedal-- to avoid a 'stall situation' that rarely but surely happens in a scenario in which a car is being brought to motion from a stop?. Is such the case?
If the above is in affirmative and if there is such a case and that at the back of your mind your'e aware of such case, and thus to avoid such a 'stall situation' your drive in a certain manner--like input to accelerator pedal in certain manner, etc--then please highlight your experience and how do you avoid it?
ritedhawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 20:01   #57
BHPian
 
luky_13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 577
Thanked: 116 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
Nevertheless, I would like to know something : Is there a deliberate way in which these DSG fitted cars are driven--especially in terms of driver's input to accelerator pedal-- to avoid a 'stall situation' that rarely but surely happens in a scenario in which a car is being brought to motion from a stop?. Is such the case?
If the above is in affirmative and if there is such a case and that at the back of your mind your'e aware of such case, and thus to avoid such a 'stall situation' your drive in a certain manner--like input to accelerator pedal in certain manner, etc--then please highlight your experience and how do you avoid it?
Just press the pedal and zoom she goes. Even if I try I cannot stall the car, from a dead stop or otherwise. The DSG is an extremely refined gearbox.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:35   #58
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,782
Thanked: 3,009 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritedhawan View Post
A very well written initial report of Laura and may you have a pleasant experience with the skoda car.

Nevertheless, I would like to know something : Is there a deliberate way in which these DSG fitted cars are driven--especially in terms of driver's input to accelerator pedal-- to avoid a 'stall situation' that rarely but surely happens in a scenario in which a car is being brought to motion from a stop?. Is such the case?
If the above is in affirmative and if there is such a case and that at the back of your mind your'e aware of such case, and thus to avoid such a 'stall situation' your drive in a certain manner--like input to accelerator pedal in certain manner, etc--then please highlight your experience and how do you avoid it?
You won't face any stalling issues with the DSG Automatics. It is only in the manual variant that one can stall the car if the clutch is released too early.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 23:10   #59
Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 66 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
OK this is interesting. I dont need vcds to activate DRLs?

The steps do seem a little confusing though. Do i pull the turn signal light lever towards the steering and then slide it down or is pulling it towards the steering and down a single step?
All this immediately after switching on the ignition?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
  1. Pull the turn signal lever towards the steering within 3 seconds on turning on the ignition.
  2. Holding it in that state slide it down immediately and hold it there for 3 seconds. Once the DRL's are activated you can hear a chime. Do the opposite i.e. slide it towards the top for deactivating them.
AFAIK, this works but only after you've activated them via Vag-Com first. This is just to switch them off and on after you've activated them.
Akki_5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 12:14   #60
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,782
Thanked: 3,009 Times
Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
  1. Pull the turn signal lever towards the steering within 3 seconds on turning on the ignition.
  2. Holding it in that state slide it down immediately and hold it there for 3 seconds. Once the DRL's are activated you can hear a chime. Do the opposite i.e. slide it towards the top for deactivating them.
I followed the exact instructions as you have mentioned, and I did hear the 'ting' after three seconds. But the DRLs don't seem to have come on. I presume you don't have to turn the headlight switch to any position for the DRLs to come on.

I am guessing it has to be activated first via vag-com for this.
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Skoda Laura Ambiente MT TDI. EDIT: A poor experience with Giriraj Motors Behemoth Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 110 16th September 2017 17:10
My dream machine: Skoda Laura DSG, Ambiente .cArMaNiA Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 108 19th November 2013 15:05
Skoda Laura Ambiente-cheaper Laura deuce-deuce The Indian Car Scene 94 11th July 2008 06:53


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks