Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th July 2011, 16:10   #61
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura, Ambiente 2.0 TDI DSG : Ownership Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
I followed the exact instructions as you have mentioned, and I did hear the 'ting' after three seconds. But the DRLs don't seem to have come on. I presume you don't have to turn the headlight switch to any position for the DRLs to come on.

I am guessing it has to be activated first via vag-com for this.
As Akki has mentioned maybe a VAG-COM intervention is a must, sorry buddy tough luck. PM me if you want to use Mr. VAG to unlock these hidden treasures.
luky_13 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 11:45   #62
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by luky_13 View Post
As Akki has mentioned maybe a VAG-COM intervention is a must, sorry buddy tough luck. PM me if you want to use Mr. VAG to unlock these hidden treasures.
Thanks luky_13. But I guess I have don't have the balls right now to let Mr. Vag go inside my Laura's brain . Blame it on the Skoda effect. I will just live with stock features right now. Hopefully someday I can muster up the courage
Santoshbhat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 18:22   #63
BHPian

True, for the DRL's to work with that maneuver Vag activation is a prerequisite.
I've noticed a couple of issues in my one week old laura 2.0 DSG elegance.
1) I have auto AC (climatronic) in my laura and within ten minutes of turning them on i get small fog clouds in the middle portion of windshield. Did anyone else face this problem? Its starting to get annoying.
2) Another doubt i had was about the brakes. I noticed a small scratching sound when i release the brakes or press them hard for that matter. Im not sure if this is a problem because i used to hear the same sound in my 2001 accord automatic (but i presumed the noise was just another sign of the car ageing). I also test drove the vento AT and heard a similar noise, but in that case i assumed that the test drive car was just poorly maintained. So is this seen in most cars with automatic transmission or is this a sign of a problem in the car? Hope i've described the problem adequately.

Awaiting your expert opinions!!

Last edited by vinj14 : 12th July 2011 at 18:40.
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 18:34   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinj14 View Post
1) I have auto AC (climatronic) in my laura and within ten minutes of turning them on i get small fog clouds in the middle portion of windshield. Did anyone else face this problem? Its starting to get annoying.
This is a known issue due to air leaking towards windshield. This is common to all Lauras, i increase the temperature when front windshield starts fogging. It only happens on rainy/really humid days.
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 21:06   #65
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have auto AC (climatronic) in my laura and within ten minutes of turning them on i get small fog clouds in the middle portion of windshield. Did anyone else face this problem? Its starting to get annoying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
This is a known issue due to air leaking towards windshield. This is common to all Lauras, i increase the temperature when front windshield starts fogging. It only happens on rainy/really humid days.
+1 to anshuman and the same issue is in my Civic too. The only way to reslove this is, increase the temperature a little!
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 21:22   #66
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
True, for the DRL's to work with that maneuver Vag activation is a prerequisite.
2) Another doubt i had was about the brakes. I noticed a small scratching sound when i release the brakes or press them hard for that matter. Im not sure if this is a problem because i used to hear the same sound in my 2001 accord automatic (but i presumed the noise was just another sign of the car ageing). I also test drove the vento AT and heard a similar noise, but in that case i assumed that the test drive car was just poorly maintained. So is this seen in most cars with automatic transmission or is this a sign of a problem in the car? Hope i've described the problem adequately.

The windshield fogging up is common in most Lauras. Since you are from Chennai, you would be affected more than people living in drier climates. I suggest you turn the air flow knob slightly towards the feet, not all the way. I have tried this a couple of times and it has helped in reducing this effect.

Brakes have no relation to the car being AT or MT. I am guessing your car is new. Brakes need to run in. Wait till you complete about 600 ~ 700 Kms. If it still persists, have your dealer check it out. THe brakes on my Laura feel much better and progressive now after 1500 kms, than the first 500, when they were very grabby and brought the car to a sudden halt.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 23:20   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
The windshield fogging up is common in most Lauras. Since you are from Chennai, you would be affected more than people living in drier climates. I suggest you turn the air flow knob slightly towards the feet, not all the way. I have tried this a couple of times and it has helped in reducing this effect.
absolutely agree. Did this on my TSI & it did the trick. Another option, is just put an anti skid mat just in the centre of the dashboard near the glass.
cedricsg is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 00:27   #68
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

both issues are common with Lauras.
1) take it to the workshop. they'll fix the air leak for good. had mine fixed within a week of buying it and no problem since the last two years.
2) brakes tend to make scratching sounds at time, i've heard its because of the moisture. not sure about this. however, this is nothing to worry about.
Akki_5 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 09:27   #69
BHPian

Hi Akki,

Do you know what does the workshop do to fix the leaks? I have a similar problem in my Laura and am sure there are more bhpians having similar issue.

Cheers
rohitm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 00:20   #70

they fix the air leak from the vent right next to the windshield (the long one used to de-mist the front windshield). its supposed to be shut unless you turn it on but this seems to be a manufacturing defect Skoda hasn't corrected in the last two years.
Akki_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 03:31   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akki_5 View Post
they fix the air leak from the vent right next to the windshield (the long one used to de-mist the front windshield). its supposed to be shut unless you turn it on but this seems to be a manufacturing defect Skoda hasn't corrected in the last two years.
All they do is seal the vent i guess..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 08:20   #72
BHPian

If they seal the vent, how can you de-mist the windshield then?
Maibaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 01:00   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berj79 View Post
All they do is seal the vent i guess..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maibaa View Post
If they seal the vent, how can you de-mist the windshield then?
They don't 'seal' the vent. They just fix the leak/ gap which lets air pass even when the vent is closed. Then when you close the vent, there is no air flow; when it's open, there is full air flow.
Akki_5 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:47   #74
BHPian

Quote:
They don't 'seal' the vent. They just fix the leak/ gap which lets air pass even when the vent is closed. Then when you close the vent, there is no air flow; when it's open, there is full air flow.
Will tell the workshop guys to do it when car goes for service.

Thanks..
Berj79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:27   #75
BHPian

Quote:
I suspect they open the complete dash to do this fix. Have you noticed any rattle after this job? Are you happy with the fix as well as the dash fit post the job?
rohitm is offline   Reply With Quote