Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 30th June 2011, 19:57   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LT - Black

@visweshkalambur

Congratulations on your very sensible buy of a nice car.The black looks stunning. Can you share more pictures both interior and exterior?-
and a few against the scenic beauty of Yercaud.

Rgds,charthom.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 01:08   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
Poitive, it is important to finish the 1+2 coating for Teflon coating according to me. During that process, we need to take lots of care with respect to scratches. After the 2nd and mostly the 3rd coating, the dust and minor scratches tend to remain at the surface level.

It is very important to use the correct cloth and way/ method to clean the car. I saw a video link from one of the forums here and it was extremely useful.
The answer may lie there. Am quite sure we weren't given any specific instructions during that purchase. Teflon was pretty new then. Thanks for the inputs. You were helpful as always.

Quote:
Out of curiosity, why is it that you ask so many times on this, even if there is a change, it is minimal as highlighted by you. There is not going to be any difference in performance... then why so much of effort into that?
Thanks for waking me up mate!

I personally take the such numbers only as a starting guide. It is the real life experience that really counts and there were no issues there. Another member expressed a lot of concern over these numbers, when we interacted outside threads. The issue somehow stuck with me as "to be resolved" and I was overzealous about it, partly to help him. But as you said (and I realize too), it really isn't important enough to be resolved. Thanks again

Last edited by Poitive : 1st July 2011 at 01:12.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 11:22   #48
BHPian

@ charthom - Ty much for your wishes. More photos need to be clicked. Was planning for a trip to Yercaud again today but got called off. Will upload more once i upload it. The car is due for 5000 kms service soon and the wax ploish coating as part of the maintenance contract that I have entered into. Will do it post that.

@ Poitive - Glad to be of help mate. The video opened my eyes too wrt cleaning the car. Regular cloths create a lot of scratches....watch out.. micro fibres...

I still am lost on how to dry wipe the car after water wash. What cloth do we use? Micro fibre cloths dont seem to work.. any pointers?
visweshkalambur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 15:24   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post
@ charthom -
I still am lost on how to dry wipe the car after water wash. What cloth do we use? Micro fibre cloths dont seem to work.. any pointers?
Chamois leather is good.Another polymer sheet(sorry can't gather the name now)-like a rubber sheet,when wet it acts like a cloth and when dry,a piece of card board.It has to be kept wet,rolled up in the plastic tube.I have used the second product.Very good. Bye the bye,try Amway Car wash-it leaves hardly any spot once dry.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2011, 19:26   #50
Team-BHP Support

Congrats Vishwesh for the Optra. Even though its well known that its a dated car, I think the positive opinion on the forum is pushing a lot of prospective buyers towards it as even I feel its absolutely stonker of a car to drive and has loads of space inside and is most VFM at that price point.

Just a friendly request, lose those stock alloys as they are not justfying its sleek design. Get a good aftermarket ones ( if you have the budget i.e)

Have a great ownership experience and drive safe !
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 13:31   #51
BHPian

@ mobike008 - Thank you so much. I personally do not like the stock alloys either. But I usually prefer to keep the OE for a while before i change. Also, I do not want to have any hungama with the company during the warranty period. I actually like the multi spoke alloys in the Etios.. for an OE.

Was reading through the June sales analysis... Optra lovers.. you would like to see the numbers.. Optra has been selling more than the Civic for the past four months.

Numbers given below in the order of March, April, May & June

Optra - 270 368 240 241 (Total 1119)
Civic - 379 253 190 175 (Total 971)

This surprised me, pleasantly though.
Old 23rd July 2011, 19:46   #52
BHPian

The design looks so pleasing even today. The black beauty looks nice in those snaps.
The sales comparo figures are definitely surprising...Civic terribly needs a replacement now.
Utopian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 15:52   #53
BHPian

Hi Viswesh,

How is the car doing? Its been sometime since you updated this thread. Please share the updates.
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st September 2011, 16:04   #54
BANNED

Thanks for sharing your ownership experience.
Your car looks great in black.
Congrats on it.
Do you suggest staying away from KLN motors?
I am in the process of TD the car after all the great reviews I have read on the forums.
But again I am still a bit skeptical because couple of people have had grave problems owning this car.
Moreover the outdated look is something which kills all the goodness/ greatness it has got in it.
Let me see what the TD has to offer.
Eagerly waiting for tomorrow.

Any take on second optra which is relatively new?
Wont it be a great piece to own at a way lesser cost, considering its resale value?
Redface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 00:55   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redface View Post
Wont it be a great piece to own at a way lesser cost, considering its resale value?
My husband has been trying to get a used Magnum for sometime now, but there is hardly any available in the market! He found a 2009 LT with about 30000 kms, but the asking price was around 9, so we let go (I am pushing for the Cruze anyways)
If you do get a good one, you should go for it, but I doubt you will get one really cheap. I think the entire low resale value talk is more about the petrol Optra, which has been generalized to the Magnum.

I am all for the Cruze, but between the Vento and the Optra (diesels), it would be a shame to select the Vento over the Optra.
blueorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd September 2011, 01:12   #56
BHPian

Quote:
But again I am still a bit skeptical because couple of people have had grave problems owning this car.
Moreover the outdated look is something which kills all the goodness/ greatness it has got in it.
Let me see what the TD has to offer.
A couple of people will have problems with every car or for that matter tv, phone, fridge, washing machine and even their wives - that's because nothing is perfect. Don't let that take you away from the awesome machine!

In my personal opinion, the 'outdated' look is felt more outdated because a lot of people (who don't want to buy the Optra) keep saying that it is outdated - leading to a downward spiral. Once upon a time, the Optra which is a D segment car, was priced like one, and was out of the reach of many people, and hence was never considered - hence the lower sales. People still hold that perception, so it never gets considered even today!

The TD is everything. A few pointers if you want to enjoy the actual effect.

1. In the first gear, ease the clutch slowly and midway, start applying the accelerator - don't push hard. By around 2000-2500 rpm (about 25 kmph), shift to second gear. You should be somewhere around 1200 rpm or so.
Now ensure that you have an open road ahead and slowly step on the accelerator - increase at a constant rate so that you see the RPMs rising steadily. As you reach 2000 rpm on second gear, relax into the seat, arms stretched forward and continue with the acceleration. As you cross 2100-2200 rpm, FEEL the magic!
Same for 3rd gear.

2. For any gear other than 1 and 2, ensure that the revvs are above 1300-1500 rpm or the vehicle may stall - downshift if that happens.
3. Push the vehicle in the 5th gear - you will hit 140 before you realize it and can easily hit 180 too!
4. Remember that the steering is pure hydraulic - the kind that is used in higher end, heavier cars. That might give you the feeling of sluggishness, but that is actually what will give youexcellent feedback and total stability at higher speeds.
5. Take your favourite CD along and try playing it - you will find that although the music system has no USB and other toys, the sound is excellent!
6. Atleast once, lounge on the rear sofa!

Quote:
If you do get one, go for it! All the best! You may also check the LS (I will not call it the lower end - it has most of the premium features except for mainly the ABS and Airbags) at about 9.2L.

Also the after sales is very good and pretty cost effective too. You may check my recent report here.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 15:34   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
IMO, a car that has a low resale value is a terrific option for a 2nd hand buy. That is the closest to a free lunch in the automobile market.

If you are open to 2nd hand cars, go for the Optra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I think the entire low resale value talk is more about the petrol Optra, which has been generalized to the Magnum.
Quite possible, but resale value depends a lot more than just the brand; the health of the car, fuel type, and the current condition matter more.
OT: There's a Mumbai 2009 Optra LT (with 47k) up for 6lakhs on Carwale, and a few more (2008 models).

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
I am all for the Cruze, but between the Vento and the Optra (diesels), it would be a shame to select the Vento over the Optra.
You seem to be quite blown over the Chevy cars. Have you TDed the Vento/Verna/Fiesta or are you going by some specific preferences?

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
In my personal opinion, the 'outdated' look is felt more outdated because a lot of people (who don't want to buy the Optra) keep saying that it is outdated - leading to a downward spiral. Once upon a time, the Optra which is a D segment car, was priced like one, and was out of the reach of many people, and hence was never considered - hence the lower sales. People still hold that perception, so it never gets considered even today!
"Outdated" is such a mis-used word in this forum. The M800 would be one of the most outdated cars as of today but still in tier 2 cities, it commands a good resale value. Hardly a word one should give importance when choosing cars to buy, wouldn't you agree.

What should be of more concern is the declining/low sales which combined with the fact that a suggestive replacement car is already there in the market. From GM dealer's point of view, it might be more beneficial for them to sell the Cruze than the Optra (debatable), and hence probably the low interest shown by GM SE(s) across a lot of GM showrooms.

@Keyur, not disagreeing to the point you made, but what you said probably applies to the select cadre of people (like most T-bhpians) who actually evaluate each of the cars available in detail.

The vast majority of car buyers generally come under two sets
  • Those who prefer the tried & tested vehicles with a good A$$ (read : Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota cars)
  • Those who have habit of preferring new cars
Unfortunately the Optra doesn't come under neither of the groups, and hence probably the sagging sales.

p.s. The above car-buyers analysis is just off-the-mind thought process.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 7th September 2011 at 15:47.
ninjatalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th September 2011, 17:07   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

Quite possible, but resale value depends a lot more than just the brand; the health of the car, fuel type, and the current condition matter more.
Though this would be correct in most cases, what I have seen is different. A Swift Petrol that was bought at 4.6L 5 years (40k km) back is being sold now at 3.2L, whereas the Magnum you just mentioned is being sold at 6L (where it would have cost around 11 L just 2 yrs back)

Quote:

You seem to be quite blown over the Chevy cars. Have you TDed the Vento/Verna/Fiesta or are you going by some specific preferences?
It's not just the Chevy cars. I liked the Cruze, and my husband - the Optra - what can I do that they both are Chevies

I have checked out the Vento and the Fluidic as well. I found the Vento to be exactly the same as the Polo from the front and am averse to the concept of attaching a boot and converting a hatch to a sedan (hence I do not like the Indigo and the DZire)! Also, the Vento makes a lot of noise, a tractor may be deemed silent (exaggeration, but note my point - i have read about it being compared to a Sumo)! The interiors are not all that good, and seating is cramped (issue for hubbie). Vento would be good by itself, but is not worth what they are charging! Agreed that the Optra's HU does not have USB, BT etc, but it is 'old' - but even the 'new' Vento does not have these features and no one seems to complain! And the 5th non-alloy wheel is plain CHEAPDA! The rear suspension and EPS is again not what I liked - HPS feels good!

The Fluidic was again ok, except for the rear seating and the power was not all that great. It also seemed very light and not exactly secure when my husband was gunning away at high speeds (which were again not very easy to attain - it seemed to struggle). And I have always felt Hyundais to be really light (toy car as mentioned somewhere earlier). The EPS does not help much too. The cost is again pretty high, but it has a lot of gadgets - but the waiting is 7 months!!

I would rather relent and buy an Optra than either of these - does not make sense to put in as much money for a C seg when you can get a D seg car (Optra) in the same or maybe lesser - it's a no-brainer!
But, I would rather get the Cruze!

Quote:

The vast majority of car buyers generally come under two sets
  • Those who prefer the tried & tested vehicles with a good A$$ (read : Maruti/Hyundai/Toyota cars)
  • Those who have habit of preferring new cars
You have forgotten :
  • Those who like the looks of a car and judge a car only by looks and gadgets (their description of a good car is - great looks, chrome mirrors, bluetooth, sensors, keyless entry --- but no mention about the engine, power etc)
  • Price !!!
  • Kitna deti hai.
  • Follow the herd type of people
blueorchid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th October 2011, 19:09   #59
BHPian

Guys, just got myself a preowned magnum 2.0LT, 2007 oct model which had done 54000 kms till date .
My experience was that there were not so many sellers of magnum diesel and the prices too are not so cheap as many say here, infact i saw a 08 LT2.0 with around 45k on the meter go for 6.35l. its a good price for the seller as well as the buyer too.
The point is when your gonna buy a car, why worry about how your going to sell it?? why dont you people just buy and enjoy it?

I own a 03 1.8ls too and still own it ....now thats a version when u want to say bad depriciation but infact i got that car second hand , that too for a song when it had done only 6k kms, so no issues for me and its gonna be my second car.
The only cribble i had with my petrol optra was the fuel efficiency, whereas the cribble with the diesel rocket is, how am i going to control my driving speed on our roads!!!!
It a very much underrated car in our country, and i hope almost all of the magnum 2.0 owners would agree with me.
benzbala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th November 2011, 16:55   #60
BHPian

Ladies and Gentleman, am back. Sorry for staying away for so long. Had to travel on work for like 3 months and it has been hectic. Came back, spent some time with my Optra. Went on a long trip with friends to Yercaud. Drive was pleasant and my friends are still pleased and wondering about the smoothness and the ride quality of the car at high speeds.

You can barely hear any noise @ 150 kmph nor does it feel you are travelling at such speed inside the car. With acres of space, the drive was pleasant. The ride quality was good too with it soaking bumps well and not transferring the jerks into the cabin.

Felt a slight resistance in pick up and thought it should be because of a clogged airfilter. Car was almost idle with only cranks to run the engine for 3 months. Went to KLN motors and requested for an air filter cleaning, which was done immediately within 5 minutes. My guess was right and the car is fine after air filter cleaning. Smooth as ever.

@ Redface - I would definitely recommend KLN Motors. Like Keyur had mentioned. I was unlucky, also i own part of the blame coz i could not do the PDI due to personal reasons. Their service has been very good and their Service manager and the advisor i interact with have both been excellent.

Have you already purchased yours?

@blueorchild - Optra is definitely a great buy. When you compare it wiht Verna and Vento, the space and 2.0 ltr engine would definitely be a key point to consider.

However, I have news from trusted sources that Optra is going to be phased out by the end of this year. This DOES NOT mean that existing owners have to worry. Spares and services would continue to happen and there would be nothing to worry.

Considering this, there are two ways you can think

1. OMG should i buy this product?
2. OMG i need to buy this, if not, I might never get to buy a GEM.

I think of option 2. But its your choice.

@ Keyur - I hope you have heard the same news?

Last edited by visweshkalambur : 28th November 2011 at 16:56.