Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 15th December 2011, 23:22   #61
BHPian

Question Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LT - Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur View Post

Considering this, there are two ways you can think

1. OMG should i buy this product?
2. OMG i need to buy this, if not, I might never get to buy a GEM.

I think of option 2. But its your choice.

@ Keyur - I hope you have heard the same news?
Hi Viswesh, Does this mean that the Magnum is going to be discontinued? If yes, what is the kind of an assurance from GM that the parts would be available when required?
Jakku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 10:04   #62
BHPian

Default Re: Chevrolet Optra Magnum 2.0 LT - Black

Hey!

I have booked SD grey LT model, will get the car delivered in 2nd week of Jan' 2012. Huge bet after one year of going back and forth with different TDs of latest models.

Will post a detailed report once I get it delivered.

Cheers,
Raps
Raps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2011, 10:56   #63
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps View Post
Hey!

I have booked SD grey LT model, will get the car delivered in 2nd week of Jan' 2012. Huge bet after one year of going back and forth with different TDs of latest models.

Will post a detailed report once I get it delivered.

Cheers,
Raps
Congrats on your booking. Magnum is a gem of a vehicle. Safe driving. Awaiting your detailed ownership report.
MAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:25   #64
BHPian

How is your overall experience owning the Optra. How is the overall cost of maintenance and spares coming along? I know its an addictive piece of machinery. I do have a Hyundai Verna CRDI which is addictive once the turbo kicks in but gets painful to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I have realigned my driving style to the car's behavior. Wishing you many more miles of driving.
sparsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 17:47   #65
BHPian

First up.. sorry for the delayed reply.

@ Jakku - I have been following up since i heard this. Been assured by folks from the dealership that Optra would be on for a while and they have not heard anything from GM yet. That feels more comforting. I checked a couple of days back again to hear that it would be on for atleast another 3 years.

@ Raps - Congrats on your Optra. Enjoy the machine.

@ Sparsh - My overall experience has been lovely. I have opted for the Chevrolet Service package where i pay 27K upfront for 3 years/ 45000 kms. So i do not pay anything for my service until then. Apart from ofcourse any accidental damage. I love driving this car, its engine, acres of space, its ride quality, acc, stability at high speeds. I have done 175kmph and does nt feel like it at all.
visweshkalambur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2012, 17:53   #66
BHPian

I am nearing the first year service window. So far the car has been driving fine. No worries on the car expect for managing the black colour.

I have swirl marks already. Thanks to some id**t they have left marks on the bonnet... scratches almost all over the bonnet.. though mild, it does nt go off :(.

Need a help - Can some one throw light on Polymer coating? I felt some roughness in the body and hence took it to the dealer and told them this should not be the case after 3M paint protetction. They were kind enough to do it again in warranty. They did the entire coating again. Its back to being smooth. Post this.. the incident i had mentioned above (scratches) has happened.

I went to Haute Car Zone in Chennai and they were telling me about Polymer coating and how it s better than 3M coz it is based on ethylene.

Car is due to go for service in two weeks time. No specific complaints to carry except for a mild noise from steering which vanishes when i hold it, wheel alignment and nitrogen refill.
Old 5th February 2012, 17:52   #67
BHPian

Quote:
You can barely hear any noise @ 150 kmph nor does it feel you are travelling at such speed inside the car.
~~~~~~~~~~

However, I have news from trusted sources that Optra is going to be phased out by the end of this year.
It is really easy to loose the sense of speed in this car! 100kmph on a free road almost feels like ambling around!! Yes, that is an exaggeration, but you get the idea.

Any further update on if it is going to be phased out? It is seen a bit more in advertizements nowadays in Delhi newspapers (a part of the sub-Cruze lineup). There have been stories of it being phased out for a long time now. Each price drop seems to do that. But it may not make sense for GM to discontinue, till they have another diesel in this price bracket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
How is your overall experience owning the Optra. How is the overall cost of maintenance and spares coming along? I know its an addictive piece of machinery. I do have a Hyundai Verna CRDI which is addictive once the turbo kicks in but gets painful to drive in bumper to bumper traffic. I have realigned my driving style to the car's behavior. Wishing you many more miles of driving.
You may know, Sparsh, that I too have had a Magnum for a while now (~13k kms). From what I found out, routine service is pretty cheap. Paid service charge is Rs950/- + parts/consumables for major services. Oil change every 10k. Minor services (alternate ones) may be lesser. I'll be updating my 5k and 10k service experiences on my thread soon. Keyur has done it some time back. You may refer to those.

Out of schedule maintenance may be a tad on the higher side for some parts. Was told that the suspension and AC repairs can be expensive. However, if the car is well taken care of, one may never really need that for a long long time.

This one handles a lot lot better than the Fluidic. NO comparisons for high speed. Tyres may need a bit of attention (will cover that soon in my thread - don't want to hijack Vishwesh's thread)

The turbolag is much lesser in the BS4 variant (some details on my thread). Before the purchase, I too thought that it would be a pain in B2B traffic, but to my pleasant surprise, it is rather easy to drive in such conditions as well. May take a while to adapt to it, however.

Quote:
I have done 175kmph and does nt feel like it at all.
Hope you take adequate care of your tyres and tyre pressure, Viswesh. Very important for safety at such speeds.

Not saying that you do it, but many people tend to get a bit lax about the basics, when they have ABS+Airbags.

Quote:
Need a help - Can some one throw light on Polymer coating?
~~~~~~~

Car is due to go for service in two weeks time. No specific complaints to carry except for a mild noise from steering which vanishes when i hold it, wheel alignment and nitrogen refill.
No idea about Polymer coating, Viswesh. However, you may want to try out Nano-wax. It is good at covering swirl marks to some extent. Eagle is a good company. They have a spray on version too.

Wheel alignment - was told by a long term Optra owner from the forum, that it was often an issue. That many people didn't know how to align the independent suspension based cars. So, do make sure that it is done properly and from a reputed place.

Last edited by Poitive : 5th February 2012 at 17:58. Reason: Additions to maintenance part.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 17:47   #68
BHPian

@ Poitive - Thanks.. I most definitely take utmost care driving at high speeds.

I have umpteen swirl marks now. :( Have lost count of areas. Add some scratches too, especially in the bonnet. Looks like people move around with divider and compass..

Question: Request you Optra experts (Keyur, Poitive, Torquedo and the likes) to clarify. I was getting a fuel effeciency of around 13 to 14 kmpl in the city. However, I had to travel to the US on work for 3 months. The vehicle was started once a week and moved around 3 or 4 times during that time.

Post my return, I had my schedule service done (3rd). Oil change was done at 5K kms and considering the vehicle has hardly run after that, no oil change was done during 3rd service. I use Nitrogen for the tyres. There is a drag to the left and wheel alignment is pending.

There is a drop in fuel effeciency. I get around 11kmph in the city and around 13kmph in highways now. It used to read as 13/14 kmph in city and 16/17 kmph in highways earlier. I used to get 16 kmph with some spirited driving.

Driving style has not changed much. I have been using premium diesel for the past two months. Have tried 2 or 3 fuel stations.

Do any of you know any reason for this? Pls advise.

Also what is the ideal tyre pressure. I read from Torquedo's and Keyur's posts that this car is extremely sensitive to tyre pressure.

Last edited by visweshkalambur : 29th February 2012 at 17:51. Reason: Remove additional '.' and check for punctuations.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:06   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by visweshkalambur
However, I had to travel to the US on work for 3 months.
Aah, so finally I know why you have been off and why I was unable to get through to you over the call.

Viswesh -

For me it's a bit too premature to comment on the FE, my FE has varied from 19.5 to 15.5 odd, the reason for 19.5 was early morning running in on the highways at a steady speed of not more than 70 KMPH.

I have just managed 2100 Kms in my 4+ months of ownership, have held back on out station trips and stuff.

On the FE figures that you have quoted, can you elaborate on the following before we may begin with the biopsy -

1) Are the driving conditions similar? As in the traffic volumes and stuff ?
2) Is the driving style the same? Speeds that you maintain.
3) Has the machine been single handedly driven?
4) How do you measure the FE?

On the tyre pressures and stuff, I would not think that they could be the sole reason behind this fall.

Please shed some light on the above mentioned questions before we proceed further.

Happy Motoring !!
Torquedo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th February 2012, 18:12   #70
BHPian

@ Torquedo...glad to hear from you. Please give me a call and we are due to catch up. 2100kms in 4 months, come on mate, you and the car deserve better!

Please find me replies to your questions

1) Are the driving conditions similar? As in the traffic volumes and stuff ? - Yes
2) Is the driving style the same? Speeds that you maintain. - Yes, mostly. Though
there could be some occassional bursts of acceleration. Though always less than
90kmph
3) Has the machine been single handedly driven? - Yes, except for service where the
driver has dropped the car at home and my cousin used to move it a little when I
was in the US, hardly 1 km. Otherwise, the opty is MINE.
4) How do you measure the FE? - Tankful to tankful.

Let s see where the biopsy takes us...
Old 29th February 2012, 18:13   #71
BHPian

^^
Swirl Marks - There is a good thread on the forum about Detailing. Started by Rudra Sen. You may get good suggestions there.

Though the recommended oil change is once every 10k kms, it seems the car would do well with changes every 5-7k. It also seems to affect FE. Hope your air filter was changed at 10k. Air pressure, of course has a big effect on FE.

About air pressure -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2674572 (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra))

Edit:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquedo View Post
For me it's a bit too premature to comment on the FE, my FE has varied from 19.5 to 15.5 odd, the reason for 19.5 was early morning running in on the highways at a steady speed of not more than 70 KMPH.
19.5 is unreal!!!!
IIRC, you were running on pretty high tyre pressure then.

Last edited by Poitive : 29th February 2012 at 18:19.
Old 29th February 2012, 18:25   #72
BHPian

@ Poitive, thanks for your response. I did have a air filter change during my 3rd service.

Thanks for the link. I see that you have mentioned around 33 psi for front and 31 psi for rear. This would come down to 31 psi and 29 psi cold.

Considering i use Nitrogen and i do like the grip i get, would it be ok to use 31 psi and 29 psi?
Old 29th February 2012, 18:52   #73
BHPian

Quote:
@ Poitive, thanks for your response. I did have a air filter change during my 3rd service.

Thanks for the link. I see that you have mentioned around 33 psi for front and 31 psi for rear. This would come down to 31 psi and 29 psi cold.

Considering i use Nitrogen and i do like the grip i get, would it be ok to use 31 psi and 29 psi?
30-31 front and 29 rear when cold, does sound ok. But it is difficult to put inflexible numbers to tyre pressures mate. Meters are often off by a few psi. Warm/Cold does make a difference. Buying a gauge is a good idea, mate.

Increasing pressure will reduce the rolling resistance, hence making the FE better. This also means that the tyre will be more prone to skidding. The ride will also be harder. Eventually, I'd say, that one should drive around, check for skidding and settle with what one is personally comfortable with; while not straying too far from manufacturer recommendations.

Edit: This is the detailing thread I was talking about:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ing-guide.html

Last edited by Poitive : 29th February 2012 at 18:55.
Old 1st March 2012, 14:41   #74
BHPian

@ Poitive - Thanks much. I agree with you. Did a top up of Nitrogen today, have 30 psi for front and back. The tyre pressure before was 28 psi. I do feel a difference while driving and was reminded of what you said "This car is very sensitive to tyre pressure". I feel less resistance now. Seems ok thus far. Will keep you posted.

Reg the thread on detailing, i did read it. Somehow, there seems to be a lot of dust in the area i live and work. Parking at home is not closed, though stilt parking, at the rear of the apt.

I use a micro fibre cloth...but wondering where to start and stop.. :(
Old 1st March 2012, 15:22   #75
BHPian

Quote:
@ Poitive - Thanks much. I agree with you. Did a top up of Nitrogen today, have 30 psi for front and back.
I usually prefer about 2psi more in front for diesels. Reason, of course is the extra weight of diesel engines.

Unless the car is run with a lot of load in the rear, increasing the pressure at the rear may be a bit counterproductive as the car may be more prone to loosing traction while taking hard corners. I have not tested this enough though. I am very happy with that 2psi difference, as most of the (trying) usage is with 1-2 people in it, with very little stuff in the boot.

Edit: You could put a layer of wax (Nano wax. Eagle is meant to have some good ones). It would help with the swirls and make it easier to dust. The dust will also leave lesser scratches on the paint.

Last edited by Poitive : 1st March 2012 at 15:24.