Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 4th June 2011, 08:55   #16
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: How to bring home a dream: TATA SAFARI LX BS4

Congratulations on the SAFARI. This is the best version of the SAFARI. Better than the TCIC and DICOR, its even sweeter, the refreshed version of the 2.2.

I did a comparison between the top end GRANDE and the SAFARI LX, the SAFARI has more bells and whistles than the GRANDE, this comparison was done as a hangover of 'Do you buy the best of a segment lower or the cheapest of a segment higher' thread

Vellore has an awesome highway passing through it, hope you enjoy many happy miles with the SAFARI
TheARUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 08:57   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
- The fit and finish. TATA, if you are listening, I have a question for you. How many engineers does it take to make a car that doesnt rattle?
The answer should be none. Cause from the looks of it, it seems that your cars are made and finished by the inmates of the loony bin.
Congrats on your new ride.
Its too bad that Tata has made the 4x4 unreachable for many by dicontinuing the Ex 4x4. But you really wont need nor miss 4x4 unless you venture into making your own road off the road.

TML people are like the deaf dumb and blind monkeys. It reflects in their product development. Considering the age of the Safari, they havent yet succeeded in fixing the niggly bits.
Also like you said, the inmates of the looney bin make the car. The 'engineers' are the one who attend to it at the service centre, mostly failed ITI graduates, who will make every effort to convince you that they are the 'real' engineers and know more than the looney inmates.
Its good to know that ur used to living with lizards. Hope you dont let them multiply. They sure can be quite a pain and then the pest control becomes ineffective.
You should ensure that the small niggles get attended to asap as its a new car. Also make sure that you rate the service centre honsetly for their shortcomings when you get a call from TML. This will ensure that you get good service. Also, be patient with the TASS but dont become a patient.

Cheers,
Jay

Last edited by jaysmokesleaves : 4th June 2011 at 08:58.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 09:39   #18
BHPian

Thank you all for your best wishes. For almost 2 years now, I've been lurking around in all the Safari threads, having a look. The conclusion I've reached is that, when we buy a safari, we buy it with our hearts. No matter what the issue, the gut feeling is that it will all work out.
About the mud flaps, thanks for pointing it out to me. It does look a little ungainly.
The cost of the vehicle on road was Rs 8,40,000. I bought the vehicle in Pondicherry and the permanent registration has not been done yet.
Actually, a few days before getting the car, I went out and picked up a Nikon L120, because I knew that I was going to need it once I get the car.
In my opinion. the Safari is iconic. If only TATA could atleast train a sniffer dogs to do the quality control well. I'm sure, they would do a better job then the humans doing it right now.

I have'nt yet gone in for an ICE. I should be doing it the coming weekend.
simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 15:05   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Congratulations, and thanks for such a comprehensive review!

LOL, how true. Being a fellow Tata owner, I totally understand what you are saying, even though my issues were more like the alligator in the bath tub than just a teeny weeny lizard
Thanks TSK, I have a confession to make. Whenever I developed an itch to buy somethin else, because of the infamous TATA reliability, just a quick glance through your ownership threads and travelogues was enough to quell the itch. Like soothing balm to the heart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAVAN KADAM View Post
Congratulations on living your DREAM

Enjoy the Beast, the more you get into it the more you find niggles, forget the Niggles, they wont trouble you after the First service,since they are tooo minor.

Have fun.
Thanks, I already have the a.c blower at 2 with some tinny music from from phone to drown out the mice in the tail gate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krish82 View Post
This is a great looking car, OOPs SUV. Looks great in Black. Congrats and wish you many years of Happy ownership. This SUV looks great, but the interiors could be better. TATA please improve, these minor niggles are noticed by everybody, still i dont know why they don't fix these issues while manufacturing.
Thanks, I am as stumped as you are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations for your brand new TATA safari. Itís one fantastic SUV.

A TATA safari as a government vehicle will be given to my dad from next month. I am too waiting for the car.

Good luck and Drive Safe.
Your Dad and you are very lucky. My wife says after I've gotten the car, my handwave after asking for directions has gotten held up in mid air for a couple of seconds extra. Minister style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Congrats on the buy Doc. 2 suggestions. Please remove those ungainly Sumo like mudflaps put by the dealer and the plastic covers on the seats.

Enjoy your truck and wish you many miles of mile munching.
Thanks, those mud flaps will be staying for the time being. I will look at the other options and go through your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOR View Post
Congrats on the buy! Drive safe.

What happened to the licence plates? where they not provided by the dealer?

The ORVM with the integrated turn indicators looks real swell.

and, yes please loose the ungainly mud flaps.
thank you, the plates will be done next week. Means lot more updates coming up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Congratulations Simpleman. Enjoy the safari ride.
Beware - it might take up your primary profession

Prem.
Thank you. Big follower of your thread. Small threat there. Always tempted to hit the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Heartiest congratulations. Its a joy to open the doors of the safari and sit in the drivers seat, each day ! I can vouch for this being a Safari owner myself.

Have miles and miles of trouble free riding.
Its a joy to sit in every seat of the safari. But you are right, the front right seat is the best in the house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Congratulation on the buy. It is really an awesome SUV. I think Safari looks best in black colour. Wish you many happy and safe miles. Could you share the On Road price that you paid?

Regards
Thank you. I paid Rs 8,40,000 for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Put in a hi effect boost and surround system and make your safari a concert hall on wheels, the rattle snakes will get submerged.

Jokes apart, Happy Motoring Doc in between your studies which I can visualize as hectic.
The ICE is coming up next week. Shall keep this thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviorp View Post
Congratulations simpleman. The 2nd pic with the beast and a beaming smile, says it all. Wish you miles of happiness.
Have'nt stop smiling yet.LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_DEL View Post
Congrats Doc on your living the dream. WIsh you many many miles of happy and safe enjoyment as you live your dream.

Allow me to compliment you for being a young man who is very wise, much beyond your years. . You are a very apt student indeed to have taken your seniors advice to heart in the marital department. The missus must be truly naieve to not know how Machiavellian you are . LOL LOL.
The wife knows what she got herself into. She just points to the tailgate to bring me down to earth. Works everytime. LOL. Love her for not freaking out yet and understanding that the safari comes with some baggage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@Doc, a wonderful start to my weekend - reading your (initial) review & the pearls of wisdom in there.

As Devdath has already pointed, pls get the correct Safari mud-flaps. If you want longer mud-flaps, pls check my Sumo ownership review thread.

And before I forget - hope the accessories you have picked up are of the right type. I am espcially refering to the camera .. cause you will soon start travelling, and you will need a good cam to capture those images.

Congrats, drive safe .. and wishing you a long, happy & trouble-free ownership of this lovely truck.
Thank you, the Nikon l120 is here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats Doc. I should say that your patients would enjoy the prescriptions that you write for them. You have a flair for writing.

I have been trying to convince my wife about the need for a bigger car and a Safari for a couple of months now. I have started pretty early considering that we intend to buy the bigger car next year.
Take the safari for a test drive with the missus. She should be convinced in about 20kms. No need to say anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheARUN View Post
Congratulations on the SAFARI. This is the best version of the SAFARI. Better than the TCIC and DICOR, its even sweeter, the refreshed version of the 2.2.

I did a comparison between the top end GRANDE and the SAFARI LX, the SAFARI has more bells and whistles than the GRANDE, this comparison was done as a hangover of 'Do you buy the best of a segment lower or the cheapest of a segment higher' thread

Vellore has an awesome highway passing through it, hope you enjoy many happy miles with the SAFARI
Already on it every day. Vellore also has an old abandoned airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Congrats on your new ride.
Its too bad that Tata has made the 4x4 unreachable for many by dicontinuing the Ex 4x4. But you really wont need nor miss 4x4 unless you venture into making your own road off the road.

TML people are like the deaf dumb and blind monkeys. It reflects in their product development. Considering the age of the Safari, they havent yet succeeded in fixing the niggly bits.
Also like you said, the inmates of the looney bin make the car. The 'engineers' are the one who attend to it at the service centre, mostly failed ITI graduates, who will make every effort to convince you that they are the 'real' engineers and know more than the looney inmates.
Its good to know that ur used to living with lizards. Hope you dont let them multiply. They sure can be quite a pain and then the pest control becomes ineffective.
You should ensure that the small niggles get attended to asap as its a new car. Also make sure that you rate the service centre honsetly for their shortcomings when you get a call from TML. This will ensure that you get good service. Also, be patient with the TASS but dont become a patient.

Cheers,
Jay
Thank you and well said.
Old 4th June 2011, 15:55   #20
BHPian

Belated Congrats simpleman - welcome to the club. Youve put many things rightly about the Safari.

Yes, the lizards are there, some you can fix yourself, some will be there eternally! :-)

Like the rear door squeak - you dont have to live with it, just put a small folded cloth where the door and body meet.

Here is wishing many many happy kilometers. Safari rules the road.
Lovely truck she is, and she will keep you grinning end to end.
verditer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 16:12   #21
BHPian

congrats doc.dont worry about the lizards.they will be gone after first service.
zucchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2011, 17:24   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Put in a hi effect boost and surround system and make your safari a concert hall on wheels, the rattle snakes will get submerged.

That is something we all do with our Marutis and TATA'S. There is absolutely no way out. You may also face some problems with your power windows.

Otherwise its a great car to look at. Congrats!
Gautam Misra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 01:48   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
Belated Congrats simpleman - welcome to the club. Youve put many things rightly about the Safari.

Yes, the lizards are there, some you can fix yourself, some will be there eternally! :-)

Like the rear door squeak - you dont have to live with it, just put a small folded cloth where the door and body meet.

Here is wishing many many happy kilometers. Safari rules the road.
Lovely truck she is, and she will keep you grinning end to end.
Thanks verditer, I have spent many hours ogling at your baby. I tried the cloth thing and now the rattle is almost 90% gone. I think I need to experiment with the thickness of the cloth now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zucchero View Post
congrats doc.dont worry about the lizards.they will be gone after first service.
I certainly hope so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gautam Misra View Post

That is something we all do with our Marutis and TATA'S. There is absolutely no way out. You may also face some problems with your power windows.

Otherwise its a great car to look at. Congrats!
Thank you.
Old 5th June 2011, 13:23   #24
BHPian

I'm planning to go in for seat covers over the week. All I know is I don't like art leather as they don't absorb sweat very well. Leather is not an option because of costs. So fabric it is. At the same time, I dont want to lose the excellent lumbar and under thigh support that the car offers.
Any suggestions as what and where in chennai I can get it done?
Old 5th June 2011, 16:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Hi Doc,
Congratulations on getting home the T-Saf. It was a delightful write up and nice snaps.
Liked the bit about the lizards and tsk's repartee too.
I am sure you'll get the niggles sorted out - but as everyone else pointed out - those mud flaps are an eyesore.Treat them fast Doc even though you are not an opthalmologist. Or you could could work your magic as a Surgeon under training and use the scalpel and perform an amputation on the portion peeping out from the bodyline. That'll not only make it look much better you'll also get credit points in cosmetic surgery as well !

Have great fun with your vehicle and trust you shall realise your other dream of being a chop & stitch man also very soon.

Last edited by Guderian : 5th June 2011 at 16:12.
Guderian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 16:29   #26
BHPian

Beautiful machine there, Doc. Drooling at the beauty. Drive her safe.

Couple of things:

1. Some good alloys will take the overall package to a completely different level.

2. And with the sun films on, I am sure you'll have a style statement to make!
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2011, 18:24   #27

Congrats mate. Wish you many happy miles with the beast. More so since the lady he is married to just happens to be my sis.
With Tata the squiggles and niggles are EVA features. I am a Tata owner myself (a mere mortal though, with a Vista QDJ) so i know.
Keep the pictures coming in and drive safe.

Cheers,
AA
angryangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 00:33   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Doc,
Congratulations on getting home the T-Saf. It was a delightful write up and nice snaps.
Liked the bit about the lizards and tsk's repartee too.
I am sure you'll get the niggles sorted out - but as everyone else pointed out - those mud flaps are an eyesore.Treat them fast Doc even though you are not an opthalmologist. Or you could could work your magic as a Surgeon under training and use the scalpel and perform an amputation on the portion peeping out from the bodyline. That'll not only make it look much better you'll also get credit points in cosmetic surgery as well !

Have great fun with your vehicle and trust you shall realise your other dream of being a chop & stitch man also very soon.
Thank you, The mud flaps stays as it is for the time being, I'm planning to get them chopped after the first service.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Beautiful machine there, Doc. Drooling at the beauty. Drive her safe.

Couple of things:

1. Some good alloys will take the overall package to a completely different level.

2. And with the sun films on, I am sure you'll have a style statement to make!
I really like the OEM alloys that come along with the GX AND VX versions. I'm planning to put them on soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angryangel View Post
Congrats mate. Wish you many happy miles with the beast. More so since the lady he is married to just happens to be my sis.
With Tata the squiggles and niggles are EVA features. I am a Tata owner myself (a mere mortal though, with a Vista QDJ) so i know.
Keep the pictures coming in and drive safe.

Cheers,
AA
Thanks angryangel, for the wishes and the sister
Old 6th June 2011, 13:00   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hearty congratulations simpleman! For your wedding and the Safari! It is indeed a very special vehicle. And loved your opening post, nicely scripted.

Tata have knocked off color options too! No mountain green, real earth, mineral red anymore! Restricting the 4X4 to top-end VX is very disappointing.

Anyways, congrats again and enjoy the ride!
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th June 2011, 18:30   #30
BHPian

Did they live happily ever after?

Errr, like any guy, I wont commit. But let me put down for you, my views on some of the common conceptions on the Safari, that I've experienced first hand, over the last week.

1) The car will be difficult to drive in the city

Absolutely not. The safari has so much torque that that most times when stuck in traffic, I dont have my foot on the gas pedal. Just a release of the clutch and up and away she goes. The size is not much different from a hatch back. My belief is, when driving in the city, it is the width of the car that matters. The Safari maybe about half a metre wider than a hatchback.
And when one has only half a metre of space extra in front of you, it doesnt make so much of a difference.

2)The gear shifts are vague

Very true. But its a question of getting used to it. Which does'nt take too long. My wife, who is not much of a car driver, was slotting it into gear like a seasoned pro after a few minutes of driving the car.

3)Its difficult to drive for women

I have'nt heard anything more wrong in my life. The safari is one of the few cars in the indian market which allows the driver a good view of the hood. It helps in judging the width of the car and how much space is there to spare, especially with women drivers who may find that judgement difficult.

Other thing that helps women drivers, it is a very very difficult to stall a safari because of the sheer amount of torque it generates.

Those men trying to convince your wives to go for the safari, let them sit the driver's seat for a change.