Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th June 2011, 13:58   #46
BHPian

Default Re: How to bring home a dream: TATA SAFARI LX BS4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Congrats simpleman for the beast! I envy you. How many people can buy a Safari as a first buy even if its your dream machine.

And when I was reading thru your post, there was only one thing going in my mind. "Caught at the wrong job" !! A [should have been] writer doing surgery ! Frankly, you have a lovely way of narration.

Wish you miles of happy & safe motoring!
Thank you.

Wife and I decided to take a break and head out last weekend. Our plan was to leave on saturday night after work and head towards BANS the hotel near Chittoor.

More on BANS THE HOTEL

I had made a booking prior to landing up there at 11pm saturday night. The place is built like a resort with an attached water theme park. The room rent is about Rs 1800 for a double room inclusive of a buffet breakfast and swimming pool use. The rooms are excellent and well maintained. Room services are fast. The pool is large, but when I went for a swim, the water was quite murky.

We spent sunday trying some off roading as there are numerous stone quarrys nearby, lazed around the pool, indulged in some bowling and video games.

I would recommend this place as a weekend getaway. Anything more than 24 hrs is enough to get an adult bored, though kids might find it interesting.

Here are some photos of the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0255.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0269.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0277.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0270.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0278.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0287.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0290.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0294.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0296.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0302.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0311.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0317.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0321.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0327.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0350.jpg  

simpleman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 15:36   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleman View Post
We spent sunday trying some off roading as there are numerous stone quarrys nearby,
Are stone quarrys a good place to off-road? I guess its dangerous in the way that the unevenly cut stones could rip off your brand new tyres. Such places are better avoided. I would choose a better place where you have more mud / hard terrains which don't have the rough edges.

I believe its an Ostrich in the last pic? Where did you find this?
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th June 2011, 16:55   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Are stone quarrys a good place to off-road? I guess its dangerous in the way that the unevenly cut stones could rip off your brand new tyres. Such places are better avoided. I would choose a better place where you have more mud / hard terrains which don't have the rough edges.

I believe its an Ostrich in the last pic? Where did you find this?
It was the paths leading to the stone quarry which I used for some off roading. Once I reached the quarry, I parked the car and walked around

The ostrich was at BANS, they have a few of these fellows with a good number of ducks for company.
simpleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 12:51   #49
BHPian

It's about time I updated this thread.

The story so far

The car, has run about 4500kms till date. There was a problem at around 2500kms when she refused to start after a hard drive through some heavy rains. She had to be towed to the service center and the problem was localised to a loose earthing wire. After that episode, she has been working without a fuss.

There were some issues with the front left window rattling. I took her to the service center in between when it was sorted out. I also had this feeling that the engine noise had become a little harsh. I told the service engineer that and he made some adjustments to the idling and also told me the turbo hose was a little loose. Post these adjustments, the engine has become very refined and nowadays she purrs more than she growls.

Things that I want done in my 2nd free service:

The wipers dont wipe very well. There is just a hint of leaving some water behind which I will get adjusted or replaced.
After the rattling from the left front window/door was repaired, the door open sensor in the dash remains on. Needs some fine tuning. Its not giving me sleepless nights so I can live with it for another 500 kms.

Weekend trip to Yelagiri

To get away from the monotony, I packed my wife, my sister and her husband into the car on sunday and headed to the hills. Nothing much to do there. Just enjoyed the peace and quiet away from the bustling hospital madness.

Some pictures to complete the tale.
Attached Thumbnails
How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0737-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0740-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0836-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-my-gals.jpg  

simpleman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2011, 13:55   #50
Senior - BHPian

Thumbs up Re: How to bring home a dream: TATA SAFARI LX BS4

Quote:
...Some pictures to complete the tale.
Nice pictures of the black Safari at Yelagiri , simpleman

Glad that you are enjoying the Safari and wishing you many,many miles of trouble-free driving with the Safari (which happens to be a dream car for me too).
Blue Thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st October 2011, 15:55   #51
BHPian

he safari has done almost 6000kms till date. I got my 2nd free service done last week before heading to the hills. There was nothing major to report, just some wiper alignment and bumper alignment. There more I think about it , the more I realize what an iconic car this is. Iconic in my life atleast.]

My wife and I did a weekend run to kolli hills last week. Usually my trips are filled with photos of the safari. For the first time, the beauty of the place made me forget the car temporarily.

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0843-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0844-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0845-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0854-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0855-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0856-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0869-medium.jpg  

How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4-dscn0887-medium.jpg  

simpleman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 18:02   #52
BHPian

Default Whatever goes up has to come down.

It had to happen. The inevitable.
A friend and I had gone to test drive the new Brio. Test drive over, while pulling out of the Honda showroom, I spot a maruti zen estilo. So I wait with my car's nose slightly peaking out. The zen stops. But behind the zen, I see a Maruti 800 being driven really fast. So i decided to wait for him to pass or stop. Horror of all horrors. He does'nt slow down. Misses the zen which is till waiting with indicators on and ploughs straight into my car. Into the front right wheel.
The driver said his brakes failed. And he had hit my car at around 80kmph.
I had to move my car as it was blocking the exit. I hear a huge creaking noise from the front wheel. The right front wheel had turned inwards from the impact. Since i couldnt move the car further, I called the local TASS to have my car towed.
The other car had its whole engine bay move inwards. Alot of the Maruti's essential oils were flowing on the road. The windscreen was shattered. But its occupants were safe.
simpleman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 18:24   #53
BHPian

Default Re: Whatever goes up has to come down.

Quote:
A friend and I had gone to test drive the new Brio. Test drive over, while pulling out of the Honda showroom, I spot a maruti zen estilo. So I wait with my car's nose slightly peaking out. The zen stops. But behind the zen, I see a Maruti 800 being driven really fast. So i decided to wait for him to pass or stop. Horror of all horrors. He does'nt slow down. Misses the zen which is till waiting with indicators on and ploughs straight into my car. Into the front right wheel.
I had to move my car as it was blocking the exit. I hear a huge creaking noise from the front wheel. The right front wheel had turned inwards from the impact. Since i couldnt move the car further, I called the local TASS to have my car towed.
The other car had its whole engine bay move inwards. Alot of the Maruti's essential oils were flowing on the road. The windscreen was shattered. But its occupants were safe.
Happy to note that you are Okay!
Please report the driver to the Police!
It's stupid that a person is doing 80 KM/H in populated city roads.
Always wear seat belts when inside the car
P.S-Very good thread about a gorgeous looking car
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 18:24   #54
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice pics, @Simpleman. Good to see you enjoying your Safari.
Quote:
I got my 2nd free service done last week before heading to the hills.
SUggest keep any servicing a week before any drives. Or immediately after a drive. Helps you spot anything amiss / missed during servicing well before you head out, and with sufficient time to fix anything like that needs fixing.

And feels bad to hear about the mis-hap. Hope damage is not much. That sickening thud is one un-welcome sound. Reminded me of an oaf of a cabbie who rammed into my truck - he was driving when talking on the phone, and I was waiting for him to pass before I pulled out from my parking spot
condor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 18:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Whatever goes up has to come down.

Quote:
Oh Man. Sorry to hear that. Glad to know that YOU are safe, and so is most of your beloved Safari dream. The roads are full of nuts unfortunately. Have TASS analyzed the damages? how much of a work will it need to fix? For an 80kmph impact, that is a great escape I must say. Just another testament to how great the Safari is as a vehicle.

Don't worry, you'll have him back as he was in no time. Fingers crossed.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 20:43   #56
BHPian

Default Re: How to bring home a dream: Tata Safari LX BS4

A couple of shots of the grim scene.
Attached Images

Old 8th November 2011, 22:36   #57
BHPian

Thats sad. But their is less damage to Safari as I can see in the picture. Have TASS told you the total cost? Hope to see your beauty in perfect condition soon.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2011, 22:46   #58
BHPian

Thanks for all your wishes. TASS has quoted repairs for Rs. 15000. The upper arm of the front right wheel suspension has been bent out of shape and needs to be replaced. The bumper needs to be changed and there is some denting and painting to be done.
Old 9th November 2011, 15:22   #59
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm 15k was expected. Is the M800 man ready to pay anything at all for the damages? At least the difference above your insurance cheque? If possible, do also make him pay up for the insurance NCB that you are now going to lose. On a new Safari's insurance premium, the NCB will be quite sizable...
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2011, 16:28   #60
BHPian

Quote:
A couple of shots of the grim scene.
Look at that poor family car with its jaw punched in its belly, they may not be able to get it repaired (read excessive damage + relatively high repair expense for a family driving that sort of a car) even if they were idiotic in driving.
But dude you cheer up, at least you are blessed with riches in life and logic , and you still drive a new safari
Cheers!
Pankaj_Ahlawat is offline   Reply With Quote