Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th June 2011, 20:28   #16
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Swift Lxi (Codenamed "Dark Angel") - Detailed Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaibzi View Post
noopster, all the models/variants of the swift have a rear fog lamp. It has to be there! You can turn it on by turning the inner knob of the right hand side stalk (refer post #5, pic #20)
Will check tonight . I always used to wonder what the inner ring did . But am pretty sure my config is slightly different- the front fog lamps switch is not on the right stalk but rather it's a button to the right of the steering wheel.
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2011, 23:34   #17
BHPian

First of all, congrats on the car. Ownership reports of Swift K series are extremely rare here for some inexplicable reason! The review is extremely comprehensive as well. I loved the IRVM ornament.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shridhar.s.i View Post
But there is also something strange i have noticed, during a cold start the vehicle wont directly fall into reverse gear even when we press the clutch completely, we need to put it in first release clutch gently and then take it back to reverse gear, is this common?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

I have heard a few people complaining about this , but dont experience this myself in my car. Perhaps a question of getting used to ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I think your gearbox may need a month or two to smoothen out- please remember to depress your clutch to the floor while changing gears, especially into reverse. I cold-start into reverse most days because of the way I park and have never had problems slotting my Swift.
@Shridhar and sajo: Our car too has this issue. The location of our parking slot means that we have to start in reverse. But the issue does not crop up on every start

@noopster: Our car has done more than 7.5K kms, still the issue persists. But it is only a minor irritant & definitely something that we can live with.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 11:45   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Are those G-sports slip on ? Or did you discard the original upholstery ?

Do you shift based on the audio cue ? If so, the 1.2 engine gets audible just beyond 3k RPM , which me thinks is a high-ish RPM to shift at for a new car.
They are G Sport Slip-ons added on top of original upholstery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
About the tyres- What have you decided? Which ones are you going in for?
Any upgrades that you've planned? Apart from the music system and tyres that is.
I had to skip the tyre upgrade for now because of Vitamin M deficiency and also the exisitng 165's are not too bad, but i was hellbent for the Michelin XM1+ 185/70 R14 and would suggest the same to you
Well here is round 2 planned for october once rains are over
Fog lamps
Sun Films,
Rear Head restraints
Bootlamp
Clock
Rear Spoiler
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Have you installed any sun film yet? If not, I would recommend doing it after the rainy season is over.
No i have not installed them right now, but i will do it in October, still confused between 3M and LLumar, but what i do know is i will go for dark grey shades for windows and clear antiglare film for front
Quote:
The attention to detail is fabulous, the pics are absolutely gorgeous (what camera?) and the text is so fluid and professional-sounding!

Let's go for a ride soon!
The camera is Canon EOS 550D - 18-55 lens and yes you folks are always welcome for a ride
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 11:57   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
No i have not installed them right now, but i will do it in October, still confused between 3M and LLumar, but what i do know is i will go for dark grey shades for windows and clear antiglare film for front
Allow me to add to the confusion . VKool is highly recommended for the front windshield. Let us share experiences/ reviews on how this goes; even I am looking to install sunfilm after the rainy season.
selfdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 12:10   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the front fog lamps switch is not on the right stalk but rather it's a button to the right of the steering wheel.
Noop, that is how it is for all variants of the Swift. Even my VDi has that same button to switch on the front fog's.

@Shri: The leather looks pretty neat. Where did you get it done?
Also, thanks for the tyre suggestion. Shall be taking you and Noop while changing the old ones.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 29th June 2011 at 12:11.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 19:34   #21
Senior - BHPian

Hey Shridhar,
First of all sorry for arriving late to the party.
Congratulations, here's wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with Dark Angel.
My first car was christened Angel.
Is that a highly detailed review or what! i agree with Noops that one can get confused as to whether this is a T-BHP official review.
Regarding the fog light operation, i think you only need to switch on the parking lights and thereafter the fogs should come on. atleast that's how it is on the Civic.
Will be tuned to Dark Angels channel.
Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 09:45   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hey where is the action gone?
I said i will stay tuned to the channel and have not seen anymore posts so far.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:20   #23
BHPian

Congrats on the dark angel ,even though a bit late.The azure gray is fantastic on the swift but blacken the A and B pillars .Also if you are not going for alloys please paint the rims in black .Nice and detailed review.Do update regularly.Drive safe
Sreehari
shk 8896 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:08   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shk 8896 View Post
Congrats on the dark angel ,even though a bit late.The azure gray is fantastic on the swift but blacken the A and B pillars .Also if you are not going for alloys please paint the rims in black .Nice and detailed review.Do update regularly.Drive safe
Sreehari
Rather than painting them black, you could also try alloy wheel dealers for used (almost new) Swift Vxi/Vdi black steel rims since most Swift enthusiasts change their rims to alloys. I bought brand new rims for 200 a piece.
vaasu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 14:04   #25
BHPian

@mdsaab, i am waiting for the first service which is due next week, so will be posting a detail update then (also need to take som epics at night to highlight the 100/90 philips rally bulbs etc)
@Vaasu and shk_8896: i am actually planning a tyre upgrade to 15" and then i will change the rims to alloys as well, but since for now i dont have enough vitamin M to spare for that, i am sticking to existing setup
shridhar.s.i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 14:58   #26
Senior - BHPian

How did I miss this thread!?
Hearty congratulations on the SWIFT Shri!. And a neat review indeed. I like this colour of the Swift a lot. One of my relatives has this exact LXi, and he has been riding it happily for more than 3 years now.

Wishing you unlimited safe & happy miles with her (or him?). Keep updates coming...

Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2011, 12:23   #27
BHPian

Default Re: Interiors

Hey Sridhar,

Congratulations on your first car. It's an excellent, unbiased and detailed review. It's really tough to write a review of a car that's been there for so many years and has enjoyed stupendous success. You've done great justice to the job at hand. Hence, rating the thread 5-star.

Quote:
Getting a few basics wrong
The Arm handles on doors are fixed, they could have gone with a folding arm handle option

Also the seatbelt holders do not have height adjustment, how much does it really take to incorporate such basic but useful features
It all adds up, when you need to manage cost, doesn't it?

Quote:
...what i cant understand though is why cant we start the foglamps before we turn on the headlights
There is no harm in keeping the headlights on when the fog lamps are on. Since fog lamp usage is quite infrequent, there is every chance of leaving it on inadvertently. IMHO, the given arrangement ensures that fog lamps get switched off when you turn the headlights off and the battery is not drained.

Enjoy crunching miles after happy miles on this excellent car with safe driving.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 17:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

, first service ALREADY? Oh yeah I forgot that 1,000 and 5,000 stunt the Japanese and Korean carmakers pull!

I keep my eyes peeled for a spanking new grey Lxi these days, no luck so far! Have you stickered 'er up yet?

185/70R14 is a good choice and you will not regret it: my sincere advice is to check out my Yoko A drives before going with the XM1: apart from a tendency to pick up a helluva lot of debris in the treads early on, the Yokos are pretty much perfect!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 23:58   #29
Senior - BHPian

Wink Re: Overall Picture

Congrats on the K-Series Swift!! Wish you many miles of happy driving After a lot of 1.3 DDiS reviews; this one for a change, was very nice to read. But have you not ice'd her up yet? Am I missing something?

Quote:
The Engine: "Foot to the pedal and it goes Vrooom"
You said it, this is the best and the most addictive part of the K-Series engine. You can literally feel the surge in the power when you press the accelerator!! The gear ratios are matched extremely well and the gears slot in just perfectly.

O.T: Where did you do the photo shoot in Pune? Where is that open ground in your pics? I want to do a photo shoot of my Micra too, but I can't seem to find any open space around.
W.A.G.7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 07:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Look forward to some stunning pics with those rally bulbs. I am sure you are going to put your SLR and lenses to full use here. Don't forgot to use a tripod too.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote