Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2011, 11:23   #211
BHPian
 
RemingtonSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Yesterday I clarified with my SA.Tyre upgrade does not void the warranty. My concern is if it would spoil the ride-with aspect ratio going down.
I think one needs to really confirm this if possible in writing from the dealership. This warranty void condition has been quoted numerous numbers of times on this forum; also the SA had confirmed the same to me when I had asked about it. The point is, for anything that is stock and you change its specs your corresponding warranty voids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
The SA claimed that the FE may go down by 2-5b kpl and more chances of hitting the bottom.
Yep, thats true FE is bound to impact as the new specs have increased rolling resistance and road touching surface area hence better grip.
Still 195/60 R15 Tyres is the perfect size tyre upgrade with the least introduced speedo error.

With the reduced aspect ratio bottom scraping chances will increase.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 5th July 2011 at 11:24.
RemingtonSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 12:37   #212
BHPian
 
RemingtonSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
With the reduced aspect ratio bottom scraping chances will increase.
Sorry, I stand corrected here, with 195/60 the sidewall height has actually increased.
So IMO bottom scraping will be infact reduce.

Name:  tyre.JPG
Views: 5698
Size:  38.9 KB
RemingtonSteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 12:58   #213
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 48
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected here, with 195/60 the sidewall height has actually increased.
So IMO bottom scraping will be infact reduce.

Attachment 572572
Bingo !!. I was actually searching the net to get those articles which I had gone through in detail before upgrading. It had detailed explanations on how the 195/60 tyre upgrade would infact increase the sidewall height !!. Thanks for posting the details here. I have had a maximum of 2-3 scrapings until now all have been when the car was in full load (5 people). I have had one scraping when driving alone but then I just didn't see that speed breaker until it was too late !
FireBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 13:35   #214
BHPian
 
BuBooMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 72
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@BuBooman,I suspect your 195/55 tyres might have spoiled the ride a bit.The ideal upgrade should have been 65 0r max 60.Wider tyres may spoil the handling a bit(heard this about SX4) and lower aspect ratio may spoil the ride.
Are there no 195/60(65) R15 available with Yokohama C-drive?

Pune address of 3D mats:Rahul Enterprises:09922488811/09371012211

Thanks for the contact mate!
And you are right. The Yokos are 195/60 R15. This added a millimeter or two to the sidewall height. But she still scrapes. And compared to most of its peers, I believe the Hondas ride and handling manners are way below par.

Mileage post first oil change service seems to have increased. Or maybe the MID has suddenly become more optimistic! Please comment chaps. Also, is the body coloured ORVM covering available or does one have to purchase the whole mirror assembly? Someone nicked mine last night.
BuBooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 14:02   #215
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 48
Thanked: 16 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@RemingtonSteele,

Yesterday I clarified with my SA.Tyre upgrade does not void the warranty. My concern is if it would spoil the ride-with aspect ratio going down.

The SA claimed that the FE may go down by 2-5b kpl and more chances of hitting the bottom.
Good to know that the upgrade will not void warranty. Never been bothered because I am somehow certain the suspension is good enough to handle that extra bit (probably would learn only the hard way). Guess ultimately its all about how we treat and drive the car. If we drive recklessly no matter what the tyre size is we are going to encounter issues.

FE might go down by 1 kmpl or max 2 but nothing more. I do not think 11.6 kmpl in Cochin city is very bad considering we are almost always in 2nd or 3rd. The 15.7 kmpl on highway drives is more or less on Kerala highways and you know how jam packed and narrow our state highways are. Probably I should take a another trip outside kerala to assess the real highway mileage.
FireBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 14:37   #216
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,962
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

What I do while wiping is use a damp cloth with a liquid such as colin and then wipe only in one direction straight, not the circular action. This helped prevent swirls on my santro a lot. It had much less swirls compared to other cars and it was wasy to wax, polish and maintain the body of the car to a shine. I hope this method works well for you too.
Colin is to be used for glass cleaning purpose rather than for cleaning complete body. I clean my car with two wet towels (small size) which is enough.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 16:55   #217
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Congrats for the Etios-you must be really enjoying the ownership experience.I wish you too miles of hassle free sporty driving experience.

I always have a tinge of pain in my heart of hearts for the Etios which I did not buy.I still relish the test drive that I did-the acceleration,the planted feeling.Mine was supposed to be black and fully loaded with even Caska music system.I would have loved to own it.

A little more upmarket interiors and less waiting period,I would have bought it.
You know what,on the day I paid in full and sent my City for registration,I got a call from The Toyota-the Etios is ready!! I had to reject it,with a lot of heart-break.
Thanks charthom. We are surely enjoying the Etios ownership experience, for which I have already created a thread on this forum. We hope it will prove to be a Toyota in true sense of the word. All the same, I would have loved if it came with the City road presence and interior refinement! Would have happily paid a lakh or two more.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 17:53   #218
Distinguished - BHPian
 
libranof1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: All over!
Posts: 3,718
Thanked: 2,796 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
Mileage post first oil change service seems to have increased. Or maybe the MID has suddenly become more optimistic! Please comment chaps.
Mileage will increase; watch the FE go up to ~18+ kmpl on the highway
and ~15kmpl in the city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
Also, is the body coloured ORVM covering available or does one have to purchase the whole mirror assembly? Someone nicked mine last night.
You've got to be kidding me! I doubt you'd get just the cover; unless you go to Chor Bazaar.

This is sick man. The antenna on my ANHC was flicked within months of getting the car. All this from our society itself. Set us back by 1300. Now, we don't use the antenna at all!
libranof1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 20:52   #219
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
What I do while wiping is use a damp cloth with a liquid such as colin and then wipe only in one direction straight, not the circular action. This helped prevent swirls on my santro a lot. It had much less swirls compared to other cars and it was wasy to wax, polish and maintain the body of the car to a shine. I hope this method works well for you too.
@sudeepg,This is very good information indeed.Thank you for sharing.Will try to adopt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I think one needs to really confirm this if possible in writing from the dealership. This warranty void condition has been quoted numerous numbers of times on this forum

Yep, thats true FE is bound to impact as the new specs have increased rolling resistance and road touching surface area hence better grip.
Still 195/60 R15 Tyres is the perfect size tyre upgrade with the least introduced speedo error.

With the reduced aspect ratio bottom scraping chances will increase.
@RemingtonSteele, You are absolutely right.Indeed the warranty of the suspension gets void.I apologize for the wrong information.The SA who spoke to me was misinformed.Today,at Honda,I clarified this with senior service personnel,who informed me that the warranty becomes nullified on upgrade.

Will the ride become harsher-that is my main concern-can you enlighten,please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
Thanks for the contact mate!
And you are right. The Yokos are 195/60 R15. This added a millimeter or two to the sidewall height. But she still scrapes. And compared to most of its peers, I believe the Hondas ride and handling manners are way below par.

Mileage post first oil change service seems to have increased. Or maybe the MID has suddenly become more optimistic! Please comment chaps. Also, is the body coloured ORVM covering available or does one have to purchase the whole mirror assembly? Someone nicked mine last night.
The matter of concern is, with the aspect ration down, chances of bobbing,hence harsh ride is more.If the suspension is originally calibrated for an aspect ratio of 65,then 55 will make considerable difference-60 will be a healthy compromise. Hope RemingtonSteele will agree.

Regarding ORVM,the best is to ask your Honda dealer.Sorry you had a nick. Get well soon

Have you decided on the 3D mats yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Good to know that the upgrade will not void warranty. Never been bothered because I am somehow certain the suspension is good enough to handle that extra bit (probably would learn only the hard way). Guess ultimately its all about how we treat and drive the car. If we drive recklessly no matter what the tyre size is we are going to encounter issues.

FE might go down by 1 kmpl or max 2 but nothing more. I do not think 11.6 kmpl in Cochin city is very bad considering we are almost always in 2nd or 3rd. The 15.7 kmpl on highway drives is more or less on Kerala highways and you know how jam packed and narrow our state highways are. Probably I should take a another trip outside kerala to assess the real highway mileage.
+1 for your right attitude.And as expressed above I was wrong about the warranty. Sorry again.

It is good news about mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Colin is to be used for glass cleaning purpose rather than for cleaning complete body. I clean my car with two wet towels (small size) which is enough.
Do you dry wipe her or water wash.How often do you wash? Have you tried the silicone glaze yet?

Bue the bye,bluevolt-the voltage fluctuation has officially been checked today by the Honda guys who admitted that a small dip is common for all cars.

Last edited by charthom : 5th July 2011 at 20:56.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 21:01   #220
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Sorry, I stand corrected here, with 195/60 the sidewall height has actually increased.
So IMO bottom scraping will be infact reduce.

Attachment 572572
Thanks for this valuable information RemingtonSteele.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I would have loved if it came with the City road presence and interior refinement! Would have happily paid a lakh or two more.
Me too.Nice quality interiors.I had already planned 1.3 lakhs worth of upgrades,which did not include leather seats.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 21:17   #221
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,962
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Do you dry wipe her or water wash.How often do you wash? Have you tried the silicone glaze yet?
I don't wash my car unless it is very necessary. Usually I clean my car using two damp towels and car shines to glory. I haven't tried silicone glaze yet, will surely do once my current stock of Formula one and turtle wax gets over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Bue the bye,bluevolt-the voltage fluctuation has officially been checked today by the Honda guys who admitted that a small dip is common for all cars.
So it's normal as many Honda owners have shared same thing. I guess this is due to the low battery capacity (35 AH).
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 22:45   #222
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Friends,

First free service done today.Good personalised service at Peninsular Honda-lot of attention.they addressed all my concerns-very casually professional.

Paid service is only reqd at 6 months interval as per the SA.They are advising to go for synthetic oil irrespective of the kilometers run!!

The SA advised me to keep the speed to only 60 km for around the first 10,000 kms!! Is it necessary? I could not agree with him.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 22:59   #223
BHPian
 
RemingtonSteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 569
Thanked: 168 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Will the ride become harsher-that is my main concern-can you enlighten,please.

The matter of concern is, with the aspect ration down, chances of bobbing,hence harsh ride is more.If the suspension is originally calibrated for an aspect ratio of 65,then 55 will make considerable difference-60 will be a healthy compromise. Hope RemingtonSteele will agree.
Let me elaborate a bit more on the tyre specs.
When you say 175/65 R15: Width=175mm :: Sidewall(aspect ratio)=65% of Width 175mm= 113.75mm :: R= Radial :: Rim Diameter=15

Similarly,
for 195/60 R15: Width=195mm :: Sidewall(aspect ratio)=60% of Width 195mm= 117mm :: R= Radial :: Rim Diameter=15
From these you clearly see the Sidewall has increased to 117mm by 4mm
If the sidewall height reduces then no doubt the ride will be harsh & bumpier.

Ref: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/tire2.htm
http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html
http://www.kouki.co.uk/utilities/vis...ize-calculator

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Friends,
The SA advised me to keep the speed to only 60 km for around the first 10,000 kms!! Is it necessary? I could not agree with him.
I don't agree with this theory at all. They normally advise the run in period for first 1000kms only.
There are other guys like Captain @nanduchitnis who have a altogather different run in theory of revving it to limits during run in period (debatable theory though).

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 5th July 2011 at 23:00.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:21   #224
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 526
Thanked: 1,226 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Colin is to be used for glass cleaning purpose rather than for cleaning complete body. I clean my car with two wet towels (small size) which is enough.
I thought colin is a general purpose cleaner that can be used on almost any surface. At least in the ad the lady was using it to clean her refrigerator and other stuff. It has worked well for me in the past 5 years and never caused damage to paint or body. Wet towels work too! thanks for the information.
sudeepg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 23:52   #225
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,962
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
The SA advised me to keep the speed to only 60 km for around the first 10,000 kms!! Is it necessary? I could not agree with him.
There is nothing like that. You can drive easily over 100-120 KMPH even if car is new. Engine will run in well if you vary your driving speeds.

You have to make sure that you don't rev the engine near the red line.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore? CrAzY dRiVeR The Indian Car Scene 385 8th September 2017 12:18
Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol sawnilrules Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 82 26th December 2016 16:34
How an insignificant geek fell in love with Cars... and a Hi sunson Introduce yourself 9 26th April 2008 00:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 17:11.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks