Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 6th July 2011, 00:44   #226
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Friends,

First free service done today.Good personalised service at Peninsular Honda-lot of attention.they addressed all my concerns-very casually professional.

Paid service is only reqd at 6 months interval as per the SA.They are advising to go for synthetic oil irrespective of the kilometers run!!

The SA advised me to keep the speed to only 60 km for around the first 10,000 kms!! Is it necessary? I could not agree with him.
I dont get it, the same service guys told me service is required every 3 months. I hope the guy got it wrong and its 6 months like you mentioned!!.

The SA's advise of first 10,000 kms @ 60 is complete nonsense !! I do not think a refined vehicle like City for that matter any car would require that kind of a run in period.
FireBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 01:17   #227
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

for the first 10,000 km or the first 1000 km?? The latter sounds more practical!

Never heard of a 10k run in period!
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 09:18   #228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
for the first 10,000 km or the first 1000 km?? The latter sounds more practical!

Never heard of a 10k run in period!
The answers are in the owners manual.

Replacement of engine oil - Every 5000 kms or 6 months
Replacement of engine oil filter - Every 10,000 kms or 6 months
Replacement of spark plugs - Every 100,000 kms!!
Service at indicated times - 20,000 kms or 1 year, which ever comes first!

There is also a disclaimer that regional and climatic condition differences may require additional servicing.

I usually service my car every 5000 kms or 6 months and strictly use the maintanence information mentioned in the owners manual for change of parts/fluids etc

Last edited by sudeepg : 6th July 2011 at 09:19. Reason: Typing error in posting
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 10:41   #229
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Let me elaborate a bit more on the tyre specs.

If the sidewall height reduces then no doubt the ride will be harsh & bumpier.

I don't agree with this theory at all. They normally advise the run in period for first 1000kms only.
@RemingtonSteele, Thanks very much buddy,for the patient,elaborate explanation.My fundas stand clear now. I really appreciate your efforts in enlightening us.Thanks again.

1000 km obviously is logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

You have to make sure that you don't rev the engine near the red line.
This is true. BTW,I never redline the engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
I dont get it, the same service guys told me service is required every 3 months. I hope the guy got it wrong and its 6 months like you mentioned!!.

The SA's advise of first 10,000 kms @ 60 is complete nonsense !! I do not think a refined vehicle like City for that matter any car would require that kind of a run in period.
The feed back they give is not uniform-it appears to me that their SAs are not uniformly trained. Each one is answering from his own fancy ideas-rather than a common set of information.

The SE regretfully informed me during the buying process that Nitrogen filling is not available at Honda-so I did it at Global tyres. Now during the servicing-the surprised SA told me,"Of course,we fill nitrogen!We do the topping up for free!! And the SE turned bashful when inquired about it-sorry Sir,my mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post

Look at this!The filter change should be 10,000 kms or 12 months-is it? How do you interpret it?

Do my fellow BHPians add detegent additive in the wash wipe water? I had it done-is it advisable/necessary?
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:36   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do my fellow BHPians add detegent additive in the wash wipe water? I had it done-is it advisable/necessary?
I add colin with water to make windshield cleaning mixture of my own. You can also add 3-5 drops of shampoo for this purpose. Plain water will also work well, detergents are not recommended as this may create scaling in the components of washer system.

Last edited by bluevolt : 6th July 2011 at 12:38.
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:48   #231
BHPian

Quote:

Does the manual actually say that? 20K service interval is typically un-Honda'ish. Are they trying to go one-up on VW who claim a 15K interval?
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 12:56   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Does the manual actually say that? 20K service interval is typically un-Honda'ish. Are they trying to go one-up on VW who claim a 15K interval?
Honda recommends a visual checkup every 5k kms/3 months and servicing every 5k kms/6months.

This is the schedule to be adhered to. Even if you don't want to, the pretty ladies at the front desk will keep calling you - sometimes even use language like "if you don't come, parts will not be replaced under warranty".

My advice - stick to the 5k kms/6months routine.

Quote:
During service, the SA asks if I am fine with the wiper detergent (costs ~Rs. 80). I saw this the 1st time in my Corsa and I found it helpful; so I get it topped up during each service.

I found cleaning to be slightly better; esp. when your windshield is prone to bird poop attacks etc. At Rs. 80/-, it is a good addition. I'd recommend it; just stick to what Honda offers or what is approved at an accessories shop. You don't want the screen to have patches/wipers to have a problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I add colin with water to make windshield cleaning mixture of my own. You can also add 3-5 drops of shampoo for this purpose. Plain water will also work well, detergents are not recommended as this may create scaling in the components of washer system.
Be careful with your mixtures buddy; you don't want it to adversely affect the windshield in the long run or fade your wipers. We never how the chemicals in Colin work over a long duration; if they aren't suitable, they'll leave marks on the windshield.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 6th July 2011 at 13:07.
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 13:05   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Honda recommends a visual checkup every 5k kms/3 months and servicing every 5k kms/6months.

This is the schedule to be adhered to. Even if you don't want to, the pretty ladies at the front desk will keep calling you - sometimes even use language like "if you don't come, parts will not be replaced under warranty".

My advice - stick to the 5k kms/6months routine.

+1 to that.
The pretty ladies are doing their job (of threatening customers). I see no point though in a visual inspection after 3 months. You might as well get the car inspected & serviced after 6 months or 5K km.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 13:50   #234
BHPian

The point to note here is that there are many moving parts in a car and each one deserves attention at specific periods of time. For e.g. The brakes, tyres etc take more wear and tear. So they need inspection more often. The honda manual says brake shoe inspection needs to be done every 5000 kms, obviously because they want to ensure safety, but this is not the case for engine oil filter. So they go with the service interval of the parts that need attention more often. This does not mean they will change everything. The express service does just that. As car owners, it will be our responsibility to ensure that we check what activities are being done and they are in compliance withe maintenance schedule in the manual. Do not do anything extra unless really needed.

In short, 6 months or 5000 kms is usually time for a checkup. I maintain an excel sheet where I tick things done for that service interval.

Last edited by sudeepg : 6th July 2011 at 13:51. Reason: Formatting messed up
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 14:02   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me add a couple of points. Service requirements may be time based or distance based or both. So an over simplification, is not on.

Filter change once a year /10000km with Synthetic Oil.

Detergent in the washer. If you can get Shell Donax use that. Otherwise Colin is fine. The base is sold as Teepol and most others add water, colour and fragrance. It is a wetting agent.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2011, 15:02   #236
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Be careful with your mixtures buddy; you don't want it to adversely affect the windshield in the long run or fade your wipers. We never how the chemicals in Colin work over a long duration; if they aren't suitable, they'll leave marks on the windshield.
I am using this mixture for past 4 years for my Wagon R and there is no problem whatsoever. I used this mixture on my ANHC only because this method is tried and tested on my Wagon R and worked very well.

One has to take care of the ratio i.e. add 70% water and 30% Colin liquid.

Colin is nothing but some mild soap/detergent water mainly used for cleaning glasses, but it is advertised as general purpose cleaner.

One can also clean the headlight glass cover and taillight plastic with Colin.
Old 6th July 2011, 20:01   #237
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post

Filter change once a year /10000km with Synthetic Oil.
@sgiitk, And with mineral oil? 6m/5000km? Is not the schedule quoted from the manual confusing?

Quote:
My point is how would you interpret it?

@sgiitk,bluevolt,Cleaning the car/window wash wiper-Amway LOC is recommended by many-I even so one on T-BHP! Anyone tried?
Old 6th July 2011, 20:43   #238
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My point is how would you interpret it?
I will say don't bother about months etcetera. Follow the service routine as per Kilometers covered to avoid confusion. Like 5000KM for engine oil change and so on.
Old 7th July 2011, 10:23   #239
BHPian

Quote:
The SA advised me to keep the speed to only 60 km for around the first 10,000 kms!! Is it necessary? I could not agree with him.
In case you missed it, there is an article (and a link to a thread) in the official "Advice" section of Tbhp. The link is here
It talks about a 2,500kms running in period. More in that article.

Quote:
Nice and generous of you of you to shower such nice words on me.Also to assist me with the link on Caska.I bought Caska HU chiefly for the feel good factor.It is very expensive though.

I never operate the unit while driving.If I have to operate it,I strictly stop the car and do it.Absolutely no distraction.Steering controls are convenient, so I use them.

Thanks for your good wishes for my family.My wife has recovered remarkably. After 1.5 years, she has begun driving now and is absolutely in love with the auto 'box and plush interiors of the City. Frankly-somehow we are not missing the gizmos which are absent-even ACC!!

Please keep posting more Poitive-you may even free lance as an Auto journalist
From the pics, the Caska does have a feel good sorta look

When I was talking about operating the system, I was talking about more basic stuff like changing song folders etc. Surely you would not be stopping the car for that - or do you?

Good to hear about the recovery in health, Cathom. All the best.

PS: Wrote a longish article about selection of ICE on the forum. You may enjoy it. Link here
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 20:17   #240
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
In case you missed it, there is an article (and a link to a thread) in the official "Advice" section of Tbhp. The link is here
It talks about a 2,500kms running in period. More in that article.

From the pics, the Caska does have a feel good sorta look

When I was talking about operating the system, I was talking about more basic stuff like changing song folders etc. Surely you would not be stopping the car for that - or do you?

Good to hear about the recovery in health, Cathom. All the best.

PS: Wrote a longish article about selection of ICE on the forum. You may enjoy it. Link here
@ Poitive, thanks for the link.will check out in the earliest.

Thanks-the Caska looks very OE.

Poitive,frankly I have not used the system extensively, still.In a "bumper upon bumper city tarffic" and rain pouring down most of the time-the automatic shift is keeping my nervous cool,more than the Caska. I hope to be in a position to try it out extensively in August.I will surely update you.

But folder change etc can effect on the steering.

Thanks for the good wishes for my health,now recovered.You are a true friend.

Can't wait to read your article.I will soon read it and post my opinions!!

Best rgds,charthom