Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 10th July 2011, 01:55   #256
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Guys, I have a question. Why is everyone looking forward to an ANHC facelift ?. Do you really think its the lack of features compared to competition that is acting as dampener in its sales figures ?. I do not think so ! In my honest opinion it has nothing to do with the features or lack of it and has got more to do with the cost of the vehicle compared to competition which now stands corrected and more importantly the rising cost of petrol. People buy ANHC for its refinement, outright performance & reliability. This car has always been lacking in features even compared to yesteryear competition.

I do not think a facelift will make people forget about the Petrol price and start buying this car all over again, instead the only way to reclaim the top spot is to launch the diesel variant at the earliest. As long as ANHC sells only in petrol it will never reclaim the top spot Period . If you check the Indian car sales data available it is very clear that higher sales of Vento and Verna Fluidic are driven by their diesel engines.

Better looks and increase in features is not going to help ANHC much, a good diesel engine probably would !
FireBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 09:36   #257
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireBug View Post
Did you get any discount on Caska from Honda ?
2000/-. Remember to insist on MapmyIndia-not Satguide.As k Vinod before committing to Honda.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Dealers don't want anyone to postpone their purchase and it is natural that they don't admit the facelift being around the corner. By 2013, you can expect a 'all new' ANHC and not just the facelift
Agree,but a probable face-lift may come around early 2012.Have you noticed how the cane juice vendors extract the last drop of juice from the cane? In India,this is the approach by the car manufacturers,too.

Everywhere else you just replace the product with a new one-and offer fabulous discount for the existing stock. Even if your product is good,improve it through continuous research. Why? Because the market demands it. In India, Santro and i10 will sell side by side and both have takers. Instead of pressurising the manufacturers for better value for money, we will justify them, show surprising false loyalty and engage ourselves in meaningless arguments about "my Honda is better than your Toyota". Hence IMHO, a facelifted ANHC will appear to extract the last drop of the cane juice

Quote:
Guys, Do you really think its the lack of features compared to competition that is acting as dampener in its sales figures ?

I do not think a facelift will make people forget about the Petrol price and start buying this car all over again

Better looks and increase in features is not going to help ANHC much, a good diesel engine probably would !
Sadly,let us face it-yes.The lack of features is one reason,too.I,myself,still resent that the ANHC has no ACC. With a better back bench, I would have probably bought ANHV diesel.

People will not forget the petrol prices but as I wrote in reply to Guna, it will help them extract the last drop of juice.Is the money spent for the face-lift worth the increase in sales, is for Honda to figure out.Yes,ANHC will not return to the top,but will set a bench mark in petrol segment.

Alternately,how about an economical hybrid? I tried to present this idea in many places-but looks like no one is convinced!!
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:36   #258
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a question. Why is everyone looking forward to an ANHC facelift ?. Do you really think its the lack of features compared to competition that is acting as dampener in its sales figures ?. I do not think so ! In my honest opinion it has nothing to do with the features or lack of it and has got more to do with the cost of the vehicle compared to competition which now stands corrected and more importantly the rising cost of petrol. People buy ANHC for its refinement, outright performance & reliability. This car has always been lacking in features even compared to yesteryear competition.

I do not think a facelift will make people forget about the Petrol price and start buying this car all over again, instead the only way to reclaim the top spot is to launch the diesel variant at the earliest. As long as ANHC sells only in petrol it will never reclaim the top spot Period . If you check the Indian car sales data available it is very clear that higher sales of Vento and Verna Fluidic are driven by their diesel engines.

Actually, I don't know if there are any who are looking forward to the facelift - from the serious prospect of having their expectations met.

Earlier, we had facebook blogs and what not saying there'll be a minor facelift to the ANHC this Diwali; then someone quoted a Honda official that the facelift will happen only in 2013.

Thing is, whatever, if at all anything, comes this Diwali will just be a cosmetic enhancement : more colours, a diff. interior tone etc.

What people are expecting : ACC, CD player etc. is nothing but wishful thinking. It is like telling themselves that their favorite car will now have all that it didn't have.

People who want to buy the ANHC are still buying it; I don't think anybody is putting off their purchase for the "facelift". And those not buying it (no diesel, too pricey) will still not buy it even after the "facelift".

ANHC is a winner on many counts; and loses out on a few (diesel, features-price ratio). That will take much more than a facelift to change.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 10th July 2011 at 10:38.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 10:46   #259
BHPian

Charthom. Good thread. I guess one of the few ownership threads that has attracted so much traffic for so long. Have been following this for quite some time now.
Seeing the number of ANHC owners jumping on to this thread with their experiences, it seems true that people still buy the ANHC, but do not want to share experiences. This thread brought them out.

Quote:
Guys, I have a question. Why is everyone looking forward to an ANHC facelift ?. Do you really think its the lack of features compared to competition that is acting as dampener in its sales figures ?.
I think this was discussed in the other thread discussing price slash.
There surely are people who think the ANHC is overpriced (even after the price reduction) for the features it offers (or rather does not).
Rumors are, the facelift will not be merely cosmetic. It will also have more features on the inside (ACC, BT etc.). Also some just hate the sliver plastic interiors and hence choose other cars.
So a facelift will bring back customers who love the mechanics of the car, but have issues with features and interiors.
Also, the price reduction now seems like a move to create price space for a face/feature-lift version.

But, the roumors did their job. They have me confused if I should consider an ANHC now or wait till festive season (if there is one, it will during be the festive season, and not later in 2012 I think).

Last edited by Bh.P : 10th July 2011 at 11:01.
Bh.P is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:11   #260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, I have a question. Why is everyone looking forward to an ANHC facelift ?. As long as ANHC sells only in petrol it will never reclaim the top spot Period . If you check the Indian car sales data available it is very clear that higher sales of Vento and Verna Fluidic are driven by their diesel engines.

+1,

I guess Honda City is still the best package available even after so many new entries in C segment with diesel engines and competitive prices. Every TV automotive show has declared ANHC a winner even when compared to ANHV or Vento.

And to add further the total sales of ANHC must be more than the combined sales of others (with petrol engines). This month ANHC is sold in more numbers than Vento (available in diesel, petrol).

Regarding the facelift I don't think this should matter much. Every car will have a facelift and one can not expect to drive latest model all the years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
But, the roumors did their job. They have me confused if I should consider an ANHC now or wait till festive season (if there is one, it will during be the festive season, and not later in 2012 I think).
You can now delay your purchase decision as the festival season is nearing, it will not do any harm if you wait and see to clear your doubts. However if you urgently need a car then you can get the car straightaway. My brother in law bought ANHC last month in spite of facelift rumors.

Last edited by bluevolt : 10th July 2011 at 11:20.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:22   #261
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Agree,but a probable face-lift may come around early 2012.Have you noticed how the cane juice vendors extract the last drop of juice from the cane? In India,this is the approach by the car manufacturers,too.
Not with Honda. They have introduced a new model often by scraping a successful car for every 5 years (ex: OHC, NHC, old CRV, Civic). Also they never sell older and current model side by side (even while there would be buyers for the older model at lesser price tag).
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 11:23   #262
BHPian

In the C-segment Petrol sedans's it's the best overall package. If you compare the Petrol version's of vento, ANHV as well as SX4, IMHO ANHC is the best car to be driven, till the Fiesta comes in.
With First drive reports of Ford Fiesta from TopGear saying the on-road price around 10L in Mumbai for Petrol and 11L for Diesel, diesel is their choice to go. Even though they say that all the Fun to drive elements of Petrol is intact.
Then the question is would people choose ANHC Vs All New Ford Fiesta? Only time will tell. Till then to beat the Vento in the Volume Game Honda needs a diesel.
mkpiyengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2011, 23:01   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
Then the question is would people choose ANHC Vs All New Ford Fiesta? Only time will tell. Till then to beat the Vento in the Volume Game Honda needs a diesel.
Just saw autocar and the verdict is out. Honda is building a diesel unit. Honda is tired of losing market share and criticism for lack of a diesel unit. The engine is expected to be out only after 2+ years. Apparently its F1 team is also partnering with the R&D team so the results are going to be excellent.

However, I still love the petrol. The more I drive the car, the more I love it. The petrol price hike does not scare me (so to speak) due to the pure excitement of the car's performance. It does not bother me much that it has no ACC and all the other bells and whistles. I am slowly adding stuff I like to the car as budget permits. Last week I installed Vento horns and I am loving it!!!

Also, I got the team-bhp stickers, but not posting pics here since I think it isn't appropriate for this thread.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:17   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Actually, I don't know if there are any who are looking forward to the facelift - from the serious prospect of having their expectations met.

Thing is, whatever, if at all anything, comes this Diwali will just be a cosmetic enhancement : more colours, a diff. interior tone etc.

What people are expecting : ACC, CD player etc. is nothing but wishful thinking. It is like telling themselves that their favorite car will now have all that it didn't have.

People who want to buy the ANHC are still buying it; I don't think anybody is putting off their purchase for the "facelift". And those not buying it (no diesel, too pricey) will still not buy it even after the "facelift".

ANHC is a winner on many counts; and loses out on a few (diesel, features-price ratio). That will take much more than a facelift to change.
Hey,Libran,even I am looking forward to the facelift-just for the sake of the drooling factor of it,as you have correctly identified! But the prospect of meeting the expectations-yes,I suspect there are a few people. At least I have met a couple of guys.

People are still buying it-but at a reduced rate. Even a cosmetic face-lift to compete the with the Fluidic will attract more buyers,IMHO.If the price cut can attact more why not a face-lift? Notice Bh.P's confusion!!

Of course ANHC is a winner every inch-still to fix the slipping crown firmly back in place(I would like to present it this way-hope you still remember the initial part of my review) more than a facelift is required,but a facelift will be a helping hand that may hold the crown intact for a few more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Charthom. Good thread. I guess one of the few ownership threads that has attracted so much traffic for so long.
Seeing the number of ANHC owners jumping on to this thread with their experiences, it seems true that people still buy the ANHC, but do not want to share experiences. This thread brought them out.
Thanks for your kind words,Bh.P and welcome to the thread.

Yes,we have been fortunate that many owners have visited this thread and shared their experiences with so much of involvement. My thanks to all of them. Welcome everyone-I have learnt immensely from you guys. Your attitudes,passions, zest for improvement and perfection,willingn ess to share your views so openly have made a huge impact on me not only as the owner of a vehicle but as a human being too. I am enjoying the great company every moment and feeling very protected.

As Bh.P mentioned,if my thread has urged the new ANHC owners to come out and share their experiences,I am overjoyed. If I could contribute a tea spoon full of my own ideas,to the boiling couldron of excitement onboard Team-BHP,then I am happy.I am proud of being a part of this wonderful community-and relishing each moment being here.

Quote:
So a facelift will bring back customers who love the mechanics of the car, but have issues with features and interiors.
Also, the price reduction now seems like a move to create price space for a face/feature-lift version.
I fully agree with your views of here.

Quote:
I spoke to Honda dealer guys-who have no idea about any face-lift before 2013. This means nothing much as Honda may not have revealed it to them.
Still if you are not urgent,waiting for the festive season,or even for the beginning of 2012 may be advisable. Otherwise,the present City is a great car to own.Best of luck!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
+1,

I guess Honda City is still the best package available even after so many new entries in C segment with diesel engines and competitive prices. Every TV automotive show has declared ANHC a winner even when compared to ANHV or Vento.

And to add further the total sales of ANHC must be more than the combined sales of others (with petrol engines). This month ANHC is sold in more numbers than Vento (available in diesel, petrol).

Bluevolt-Wow,proud owner you are-and me too. Let us relish the ownership of this wonderful machine. BTW,new Avatar is very nice.

Quote:
Not with Honda. They have introduced a new model often by scraping a successful car for every 5 years (ex: OHC, NHC, old CRV, Civic). Also they never sell older and current model side by side (even while there would be buyers for the older model at lesser price tag).
Yes,Guna.I agree with you here. But how about not offering essential features here. Putting an ACC may add a bit more to the price. But are they not holding back because of our fierce loyalty to Honda? It is a different marketing strategy-en cash the reputation of your badge. When people bother more about their own cash and worry less about the badge-then any big name will take a beating-like Honda, now. No.of CR V's sold at Peninsular Honda in June-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpiyengar View Post
In the C-segment Petrol sedans's it's the best overall package. If you compare the Petrol version's of vento, ANHV as well as SX4, IMHO ANHC is the best car to be driven, till the Fiesta comes in.
With First drive reports of Ford Fiesta from TopGear saying the on-road price around 10L in Mumbai for Petrol and 11L for Diesel, diesel is their choice to go. Even though they say that all the Fun to drive elements of Petrol is intact.
With due respect to the handling of Fiesta-I honestly suspect if it can beat City. In the volume game Vento already stands beaten by the Fluidic. VW has production restaints,so supply can't match demand-long waiting period may frustrate prospective buyers to look at other options-here too ANHC will benefit as an overall better product,albeit petrol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Just saw autocar and the verdict is out. Honda is building a diesel unit. Honda is tired of losing market share and criticism for lack of a diesel unit. The engine is expected to be out only after 2+ years. Apparently its F1 team is also partnering with the R&D team so the results are going to be excellent.

However, I still love the petrol. The more I drive the car, the more I love it. The petrol price hike does not scare me (so to speak) due to the pure excitement of the car's performance. It does not bother me much that it has no ACC and all the other bells and whistles. I am slowly adding stuff I like to the car as budget permits. Last week I installed Vento horns and I am loving it!!!
@sudeepg, Good new about the diesel.

I fully agree with you.About the City,me too don't bother about the bells and whistles any more. Why new horns? Can you share the details?

Quote:
Also, I got the team-bhp stickers, but not posting pics here since I think it isn't appropriate for this thread.
Please mate.Do post the pictures-come on, let us have more excitement. I saw a post from GTO asking people to share more things on the thread and less in PM-for the benefit of other members and guests. Please post the snaps with the T-BHP stickers.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:29   #265
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post

Yes,Guna.I agree with you here. But how about not offering essential features here. Putting an ACC may add a bit more to the price. But are they not holding back because of our fierce loyalty to Honda? It is a different marketing strategy-en cash the reputation of your badge. When people bother more about their own cash and worry less about the badge-then any big name will take a beating-like Honda, now. No.of CR V's sold at Peninsular Honda in June-0!
To me it appears that Honda has stuck to a strategy of making fundamentally good cars, with emphasis on quality and safety over the content. I would say they provide 'essential' features but hold back the features which add to 'feel good' factor.
Old 11th July 2011, 11:43   #266
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
To me it appears that Honda has stuck to a strategy of making fundamentally good cars, with emphasis on quality and safety over the content. I would say they provide 'essential' features but hold back the features which add to 'feel good' factor.
Not really true. They do make good cars, and along with that they are good in making the cars look funky and appealing. For e.g.; Civic or Jazz. I feel only with City they were a bit refrained, maybe because itís a volume seller in India even without all those feel good features.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 11:59   #267
BHPian

Friends,

Yesterday I drove about 70 km back and forth-the longest in my City-and thoroughly enjoyed.

It was the second longest journey my wife had after her back injury(she has a injured back-some of you may remember). It had another significance.The return journey was my longest night drive in 5 years!!

I had suffered from an infection to both my cornea which resulted in excessive glare at night in my eyes-which had made fast drive on a crowded road risky to me. Eyesight is normal but glare from the oncoming traffic at night would dazzle me-so no high way long drive at night,always a driver.

I already had a pair of polarised spectacles,which cut the glare to some degree.I had installed anti-glare film from V-Kool on my wind shield too. A few days back I upgraded my head light bulbs to 100/130. Armoured with all these weapons I ventured out on the high way at night and found the discomfort virtually non-existent!!

It was very emotional for me. The feeling of proud ownership of my City persuaded me not to hire a driver this time. I felt I must experience the pleasure myself. Hence took the last step in upgrading the head lights. The road was very visible-I kept the beam on 2 in city limits and 1 on highway in order not to dazzle the oncoming traffic. The lamps,the film and my specs,above all the proud ownership of the City made me venture into this feat and come out absolutely safe and successful!! Now I have regained full confidence for my long night drives.

My wife too,enjoyed the ride-experienced no discomforts. Even on pot hole-riddled roads the car was reasonable-she pitched,but not jarringly. The ride on good roads was absolutely joyful.No bottom scraping,too. In the scorching afternoon Sun,we were so comfortable inside that when I stepped out to take a few snaps- I was shocked to experience the heat outside. Above all,at the function we attended,the car was an absulute head turner!!

The overall mileage we got was only 12.6. Hope it will improve.The max speed was only 80.

Please see a few snaps of the car parked on the road side.Not very exciting photos I am afraid.This is the Thodupuzha-Muvattupuzha road in Kerala.

Sn1p3r,I had clicked a few photos at night,to demonstrate the head light brightness for you. But they did not come out good.Will post them later.Sorry for the delay.

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc00544.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc00545.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc00546.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc00547.jpg

Best regards and love to all,charthom.

Last edited by charthom : 11th July 2011 at 12:17.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 12:54   #268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really true. They do make good cars, and along with that they are good in making the cars look funky and appealing. For e.g.; Civic or Jazz. I feel only with City they were a bit refrained, maybe because itís a volume seller in India even without all those feel good features.
Of course, they give important to design/styling and all of their cars look radical/futuristic. I was referring to the aspect of adding features which add to 'feel good factor'.
Old 11th July 2011, 14:41   #269
Senior - BHPian

^Thank you for the consideration, kindly take your own sweet time.

These days I am driving on almost empty Delhi roads between 1 am to 5 am as I have been busy chauffeuring my wife for my BIL's marriage. The car is sweet and returned in city average of frugal 16.23 kmpl. Amazing.

Highway mileage goes till 22kmpl (tank to tank fill method) But that is NH8 drive from Dhaula Kuan HP petrol pump to Sector 15 and back. Driven at 80-100 with light foot. RPM 2800 to 3200. This range keeps mum and wife at ease and still cuts through the traffic.

Odo reading 9920km. I am loving it

Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2011, 19:18   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Not really true. They do make good cars, and along with that they are good in making the cars look funky and appealing. For e.g.; Civic or Jazz. I feel only with City they were a bit refrained, maybe because it’s a volume seller in India even without all those feel good features.
Quote:
Of course, they give important to design/styling and all of their cars look radical/futuristic. I was referring to the aspect of adding features which add to 'feel good factor'.
@Guna,if Honda is conservative and believes that only essential features are enough,then why do they make funky,futuristic cars? Is it a minimalist future that Honda foresees? Are electrically retractable ORVMs a feel good feature? Isn't it an essential feature?

@vb-san,if they are holding back only on City,them how come Jazz has no 1.5 l option,which makes you reluctant in buying it? As per Honda dealers there are no plans to introduce the 1.5 l engine at all. And to my taste, ANHC is more funky and appealing than Civic and Jazz anytime

Honda is cutting features to bring the prices to the "safe maximum",IMHO.If they stop overcharging the customers for the snobbish feeling of owning a Honda,they can give all reasonable features at competitive prices.Their strategy is as opportunistic as most others. Same about Toyota. We will buy the products sans features,drooling over the quality of what is given-instead of demanding what we should get. These manufacturers are supplying to "this" demand.

Quote:
These days I am driving on almost empty Delhi roads between 1 am to 5 am as I have been busy chauffeuring my wife for my BIL's marriage. The car is sweet and returned in city average of frugal 16.23 kmpl. Amazing.

Highway mileage goes till 22kmpl (tank to tank fill method) But that is NH8 drive from Dhaula Kuan HP petrol pump to Sector 15 and back. Driven at 80-100 with light foot. RPM 2800 to 3200. This range keeps mum and wife at ease and still cuts through the traffic.
@Sn1p3r-very motivating news indeed. Many esteemed BHPians have been reassuring me that the mileage would improve.I am waiting patiently.

Last edited by charthom : 11th July 2011 at 19:26.