Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 20th July 2011, 10:37   #331
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari
Hi Charthom,

Not sure if you covered it before. When it rains, how much of the noise filters inside the cabin? Especially from the roof. I know it's a weird question, but please let me know.
The water droplet noise is well damped in the cabin unless it's too heavy a downpour. I set the ac setting on coldest fan speed at 1 and music at volume level 5. No water noise.

Wiper spread area is good and they swipe the rain water off windscreen just fine. The thing I do not Iike is left wiper most definitely leaves a vertical stream in the middle a final swipe post operation would be a great addition to the software.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:21   #332
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Hi Charthom,

Not sure if you covered it before. When it rains, how much of the noise filters inside the cabin? Especially from the roof. I know it's a weird question, but please let me know.
@prabhuferrari,

Noise dos filter in during rain.There is no annoying clatter from the roof.But still you can enjoy the rain. During the rain, the biggest problem I faced was,my driver side window began fogging-thus hindering visibility.I readjusted the A/c knobs and the problem was solved.

The insulation is as such,when normal FM is playing at comfortable volume,a person standing outside can make out the song if he concentrates.ie.with the windows up,AC running.

Overall insulation is alright,friend. No deal breaker for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You know what, when we visited the accessories shop for some rubber mats. They pulled out the 3d kagu mats and boy was i tempted. But then he quoted 5K for the same. And that was a dampener, They look fantastic but my parents who were with me at the time, opted for clear plastic ones which i had put in the Civic. Total damage around 600 odd. But i must admit the 3D kagu mats do look fantastic.

Yes Dot is indeed worried about the future of our beloved rides who have been side tracked. I am in a fix as to which car to keep. Either way my parents live only 2 mins away and can borrow the golden beauty whenever i wish. well almost!
The Kagu mat part I already saw on your thread. As I mentioned-only 4500/- And for Civic,they are 5000/- as per one of the threads.

I have decided to keep my i10. Of course,no match for the Civic-but still it is such a fantastic city commuter, during the rush hour,esp for my solo trips,it is a very suitable companion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The water droplet noise is well damped in the cabin unless it's too heavy a downpour. I set the ac setting on coldest fan speed at 1 and music at volume level 5. No water noise.

Wiper spread area is good and they swipe the rain water off windscreen just fine. The thing I do not Iike is left wiper most definitely leaves a vertical stream in the middle a final swipe post operation would be a great addition to the software.
This indeed is great guide line,Sn1p3r. Fill follow it.But as I mentioned above,the insulation is not a deal breaker. BTW,i10 is better insulated.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:30   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom

This indeed is great guide line,Sn1p3r. Fill follow it.But as I mentioned above,the insulation is not a deal breaker. BTW,i10 is better insulated.
I agree, as I am under the weather, for the first time I experienced the back seat as my wife drove and my mother was co-driver. The road noise was muted but still there as my wife drove at about 100 km/h and no music. I think post monsoon I need to get the insulation/noise deadening bolstered at rear. But the seat was very comfortable. My neck rested on the contoured headrest at back and arm rest perfectly on the arm rest. I discovered back seat not a bad place to be, but the best is the driver seat
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th July 2011, 21:40   #334
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
I agree, as I am under the weather, for the first time I experienced the back seat as my wife drove and my mother was co-driver. The road noise was muted but still there as my wife drove at about 100 km/h and no music. I think post monsoon I need to get the insulation/noise deadening bolstered at rear. But the seat was very comfortable. My neck rested on the contoured headrest at back and arm rest perfectly on the arm rest. I discovered back seat not a bad place to be, but the best is the driver seat
This is great news again,Sn1p3r. Your back seat riding experience indeed is very re-assuring from the ride's part-less so from insulation part

Well-in case you happen to insulate the rear,can you post the details?
Old 20th July 2011, 21:47   #335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom

This is great news again,Sn1p3r. Your back seat riding experience indeed is very re-assuring from the ride's part-less so from insulation part

Well-in case you happen to insulate the rear,can you post the details?
I was going around the forum for sound deadening and I think every one agrees that dynamat X is a good solution. I will read some more on this, fellows please pitch in, it will be just great. I will also be talking to Arush from Autopsyche.
Old 21st July 2011, 09:58   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's great to hear that the City too is extremely welcoming in the rear.
most of us never get to experience the rear comfort of our rides.
I for once, mostly experience the rear only when the car is stationary.
I used to put on some music and just chill out in the back of the Civic.
How else would i have experienced the rear comfort, nobody gets to touch the steering except me!
BTW the above method is a great way to bond with your ride too.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st July 2011, 10:23   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab
How else would i have experienced the rear comfort, nobody gets to touch the steering except me!
@mdsaab: we had Civic for 5 years but now coming to think of it I never sat in the back. Maybe I was exhausted and sick lying on bed that I really really enjoyed and noticed the comfort. I was pleased to find that sitting in natural position my neck laid perfectly on the headrest. I did not TD the car as it was supposed to be Mum's car and I did not wish to sway her decision, Mum's take kid's needs on higher priority thus I was only talking of engine and overall car.

Now the only thing on mind is a quite cabin, Honda has cut back on NVH insulation. Many have commented on the engine vibration at cold start. Guys please insist the SA to tighten the engine mount. I too got it done and ever since it's not there. Secondly, engine noise does get in the cabin and eyebrows raised by your co-passengers while you are having fun with revs. They have cut down on insulation in the engine compartment, the Radiator fan noise is intrusive and annoying as if you are driving in the evening and do not have your music to high you can hear the fan go on and off ever so often. Michelin XM1 are silent in operation but post 100 they too make themselves heard. Wheel wells are to be insulated too I guess I want a S class experience in the city.

1 year 10105km image attached. Cheers!
Attached Images

Old 21st July 2011, 16:09   #338
BHPian

Quote:
I think every one agrees that dynamat X is a good solution. I will read some more on this, fellows please pitch in, it will be just great. I will also be talking to Arush from Autopsyche.
Quote:

the Radiator fan noise is intrusive and annoying as if you are driving in the evening and do not have your music to high you can hear the fan go on and off ever so often. Michelin XM1 are silent in operation but post 100 they too make themselves heard. Wheel wells are to be insulated too I guess I want a S class experience in the city.

1 year 10105km image attached. Cheers!
Also Wurth insulation sheets have been suggested.

I will follow you in S class comfort. Please do post your findings.
Congrats for 1 year and 10105 kms.

Quote:
mdsaab-Rear bench is really comfortable. Vertical motion is very less on reasonable roads.My wife liked the combination of the rear seats with good support and the seamless shift of Auto 'box.

Me too have not got the luck to sit in the rear seat of City(in the case of i10-bad luck),except while test driving. Then we still have not put her to proper use.Only one long drive of 70 kms-that's all. Will comment on the rear seats in detail later.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:29   #339
BHPian

Friends,

Cleaned the Kagu mats today.Just took them out-removed the dust.Wiped with a wet rag. They became clean again. Found very simple to maintain.Of course if dirtier use soap.

mdsaab and others,

1.Can any one comment on the possibility of installing Race Dynamics tuning box in Honda City?

2.Use of K&N performance filters for Honda City?

3.Comment on suitable sound deadening material for Honda City-as raised by Sn1p3r?

mdsaab-are enthusiastic enough to plan any of these in your new machine?

Last edited by charthom : 22nd July 2011 at 22:35.
Old 22nd July 2011, 22:57   #340
BHPian

Hi Charthom / others,
I am looking for an answer for a particular type of query with regard to installation of alloys on ANHC. OKAY Here's the scenario.
We all know that if we install 16 inch alloys instead of the standard 15 inchers the warranty of the suspension would get voided. Now another thing that people sometimes do not consider is the width of the alloy wheel. The standard width of the Honda City Rims is 5.5j. The problem is that most aftermarket alloys are available only in 6 or 6.5j width. Now wouldn't the warranty get voided even if the alloy is 15 inch in diameter but has a width of 6j or more. Also that the standard tyre width is 175 for City. So If one puts the same 175 size tyre on a 6j wheel it might not turn out to be a perfect combination. I mean the 175 size tyre might actually become small for a 6j size wheel. I would be asking this question to Honda showroom guys tomorrow but do not expect a correct answer from them as most SA's are lacking in technical knowledge.

The reason why I am putting up this query here is because I am in the process of taking the car day after tomorrow (Sunday) and want to get alloys from the market but am skeptical about the width part. I want to keep the same tyres and also the width of the alloy to be not more than 5.5j but then I might have to compromise on design as very few designs might be available in the 5.5j 15 inch diameter size.

Can someone also confirm who has the VMT model about the width size of the alloy wheel that has come as standard on the model. Is it 5.5j or 6j.
I know for sure that on the EMT and SMT models the width of the rims is 5.5j.
wingsoffires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd July 2011, 23:49   #341
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Comment on suitable sound deadening material for Honda City-as raised by Sn1p3r?
Since ANHC comes with 6" speakers mounted on all the doors, installing dampening material on all for the four doors will improve sound quality and may reduce road noise by a slight bit.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 02:47   #342
Senior - BHPian

Charthom, to be very honest with you buddy.
No i dont plan for any tuning modifications.
Infact Civic has been with us for 3 years and no tuning mods done there either.
Actually wait a minute. No mods at all. It is completely in stock form. And i see the City staying pretty much that way too.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2011, 10:16   #343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingsoffires View Post
We all know that if we install 16 inch alloys instead of the standard 15 inchers the warranty of the suspension would get voided. Now another thing that people sometimes do not consider is the width of the alloy wheel. The standard width of the Honda City Rims is 5.5j. The problem is that most aftermarket alloys are available only in 6 or 6.5j width. Now wouldn't the warranty get voided even if the alloy is 15 inch in diameter but has a width of 6j or more. Also that the standard tyre width is 175 for City. So If one puts the same 175 size tyre on a 6j wheel it might not turn out to be a perfect combination. I mean the 175 size tyre might actually become small for a 6j size wheel. I would be asking this question to Honda showroom guys tomorrow but do not expect a correct answer from them as most SA's are lacking in technical knowledge.

The reason why I am putting up this query here is because I am in the process of taking the car day after tomorrow (Sunday) and want to get alloys from the market but am skeptical about the width part. I want to keep the same tyres and also the width of the alloy to be not more than 5.5j but then I might have to compromise on design as very few designs might be available in the 5.5j 15 inch diameter size.

Can someone also confirm who has the VMT model about the width size of the alloy wheel that has come as standard on the model. Is it 5.5j or 6j.
I know for sure that on the EMT and SMT models the width of the rims is 5.5j.
@wingsoffire,

I will read/inquire more before giving a detailed answer.But since the time is very less,here are some quick points.

1.To my knowledge-any modification on the standard tyres voids the warranty irrespective of 5.5j or 6j etc.If you want the warranty intact,keep it standard.

2. You can check up with AURA by Hindalco-they have 5.5j rims.They are very good designs and are excellent. The sales guys will not show much enthusiasm because their margin is less. I had Aura alloys fitted for my i10 and they are stunning in every way.

I have PM'ed FireBug who has done tyre modification. Hope he is not too busy and do the needful.

I request other friends to extend their expertise.

Best of lucks,mate.Congrats,by the way.Rush in with your experiences and a sweet new thread on the ANHC.

Last edited by charthom : 23rd July 2011 at 10:33.
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:38   #344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Since ANHC comes with 6" speakers mounted on all the doors, installing dampening material on all for the four doors will improve sound quality and may reduce road noise by a slight bit.
Thanks dot.But Sn1p3r wants to insulate the entire rear. Is it possible?

Quote:
Charthom, to be very honest with you buddy.
No i dont plan for any tuning modifications.
Infact Civic has been with us for 3 years and no tuning mods done there either.
Actually wait a minute. No mods at all. It is completely in stock form. And i see the City staying pretty much that way too.
mdsaab- I share your views.The ANHC performance is adequate for my expectations. Even I don't find any point in modifying for fancy's sake. I have not driven her extensively,yet. Even the skimpy tyres are OK for the occasion-hence will decide on tyre upgrade only later on.

dot and mdsaab, can you advise on wingsoffires query on wheel upgrade?
Old 23rd July 2011, 20:55   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
. Even the skimpy tyres are OK for the occasion-hence will decide on tyre upgrade only later on.
+1, I too don't find a strong reason to upgrade the tyre size or brand. Yes the Goodyear tyres are noisy but they are OK for 'Normal' use. Those who got Michelin tyres as stock are lucky. Of course if you intend to do some aggressive driving then an upgrade is a must. I will keep the current tyres till they wear out.

Last edited by bluevolt : 23rd July 2011 at 20:57.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote