Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2011, 20:36   #661
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
mdsaab's techniques-check out pages 12,16 and 18 of his thread.
@Charthom - I went thru the pages you had mentioned regarding mdsaab FE techniques and am really happy to find that its works amazingly well. You know what, some days I used to get good mileage and on other days the mileage used to reduce drastically in city and I kept wondering was I doing on those days for the mileage to go up. Everything became clear after I read thru the mdsaab technique and it was exactly this technique that I was doing BUT without my knowledge. Now that I have come to know about this tried and tested tecnique, I will ensure to stick to it at all times going forward.

@mdsaab - Hats off to your research and sharing them over here as it definitely helps all of us in the long run. This technique not only helps ANHC users but it will surely benefit other car owners as well since this is more to do with our driving technique rather than the car that we are driving.
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 20:53   #662
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Now it is mdsaab vs drsaab!! He claims to have a path breaking new treatment for the back. y good lady is getting admitted for 12 days. Wish us good luck!
Mate, wishing a speedy recovery for your wife. Please keep us all posted on the treatment and her progress.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:03   #663
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Guys,

My car got detailed today by the Ultimate Detailerz (UD) guys and here's the report.

Short version - Nice guys, professional job, awesome work and worth the money & effort

Long Version - I had fixed up the work to be done today and was given an appointment by 8:30 AM in the morning. I was a bit skeptical on doing this weekend since it was forecasted to rain in Bangalore. So I expressed my concern to the UD guys and they offered to do the job only if there were no rains in the morning.

Meet the Guys

Mohsin
Nirmal

- Both are extremely passionate about cars and detailing work.
- Very friendly.
- Possess professional knowledge of detailing
- Both have good jobs and they do it purely for passion.


Work Details

The work is divided into several parts which are

1. Inspection of the current state of the body
2. Removal of contamination.
3. Identifying which components & solutions are best suited to clean and finish up the paint surfaces.
4. Applying the components + plus cleaning.
5. Applying the sealant. (Optional - will depend on the package you choose)
6. Tyre cleaning and tyre dressing.
7. Final cleaning.
8. Photoshoot!


As I mentioned above, the guys were thorough with their work. I was asked to do a regular wash of the car and bring it to Mohsin's place. We started at about 9 AM in the morning and the car was ready post 4:30 PM in the evening. The first step Mohsin took was to inspect the state of the body. You will see from the pictures below that my car appears very clean and spotless, but there was a hell lot of contamination on one side. Mohsin removed the contamination using a special grade clay and a solution. This was a laborious work. I could hear the squeal and then a while later of working the clay, the sound would disappear and voila!! What do I find? The body becomes smooth as feather when you run your hand over it.

Nirmal then shows up in his swanky swift. Be aware that he is a guy that also drives an Audi A6, a Beemer, a City and also his swift. Mohsin owns a Habanero Red city that is maintained extremely well. Checkout some of their pictures on FaceBook.

The next part of the work was identifying which specific components will provide the best finish for the car. There was some trial before the guys finally found the correct combination of compound, applicant and solution to clean the surface and bring out the shine. Not all components work over every paint. City paint has some specific characteristics and therefore choosing the right ones is extremely important in this work. There after it's just a matter of applying and finishing up the paint.

The guys cleaned every part very carefully and took extreme care with the car. To some up some pros and cons.

Pros
a. They will work only a small part of the panel at a time. Every time the compound is applied and finished, Nirmal would use his special torch to check if the finish is good. He'd work on very small portion at a time and then stop very often to inspect the paint finish!
b. All parts are done up and nothing is left out. Body, roof, bumpers, fenders.
c. They have special solutions, cloths (micro fiber) and compounds for each type of component. Plastics get special finish.
d. Both were very careful not to have any of their tools touch the car.
e. Both were careful while opening and closing doors to ensure it does not hit any objects.
f. Both have special and very specific tools for the work.
g. Both are very friendly and imparted a good amount of their knowledge about maintaining the car.

Cons
None! I mean literally, try as hard as I can, I cannot think of any negatives.

Post finishing up all parts of the body, a quick drying sealant was applied. This was chosen based on the fact that my concern about rains. The usual sealant would take about 8 - 10 hours to dry and water should not fall on the body. But instead, these guys provided a new product that dries quickly.

Post all this work, the alloys & tyres were cleaned using a special solution and cleaned with micro fiber cloth.

We then took the car out into sunshine to inspect the car finish. Minor touch ups are done at this time and wiped clean.

Finally, the tyre dresser is applied and a photo shoot! I took several pictures of the work in progress and also of the final state of the car. I am extremely happy of the outcome and am really glad there are guys who have professional knowledge of detailing cars. Even better for me, they are close to where I stay!!

Costs
I first opted for a 2 step process, which was estimated at 3750. A token amount of 500 was paid to confirm my order. I believe in the 2 step, they also remove contamination. A 3 step costs 4500. As the work progressed, I opted to go in for a full year AMC, which I can pay in 2 installments. Yeah! They have an annual AMC where by they will do a check up 4 times a year. It costs about 12000 rupees I believe and there are some goodies that come along with it.

Products
I understand professional detailers do not use Formula 1, but rather Meguires or Optimum. This is what they use most of the time. UD guys also sell products like Wash Mitt, duster (see my earlier posts), and solutions to clean the car.

Alright, so here are the pictures now. The first, third and fifth pictures are before the car went in for detailing. The second, fourth and sixth picture onwards is after detailing. Please let me know your feedback.

Charthom, see the finish on the wiper blades and plastics now. This is exactly what I wanted to have, which the formular 1 all in one shine did not provide, rather it messed it up. Now it looks brand new!

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-before1.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-after1.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-before2.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-after2.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-before3.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-after3.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc02195.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc02198.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-protected-plastics-2.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-shining-mirror.jpg

Last edited by sudeepg : 20th August 2011 at 22:09. Reason: Fonts messed up. Correcting it. Also adding details
sudeepg is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:12   #664
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

^ fantastic stuff.
Now drive with panache do we have similar facility in Gurgaon?
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:24   #665
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

sudeepg ~ Thank you for sharing the details of the detailing
If a car can look newer than new THIS is it.
The way Mohsin and Nirmal went about the work sounds very professional indeed. They need to visit Pune soon, i am sure quite a few of us here in Pune would be very interested in detailing up our rides.
What about the interiors do they detail them too?
Absolutely love the look of your beauty in RED.
Shine on & Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:36   #666
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
sudeepg ~ Thank you for sharing the details of the detailing
If a car can look newer than new THIS is it.
The way Mohsin and Nirmal went about the work sounds very professional indeed. They need to visit Pune soon, i am sure quite a few of us here in Pune would be very interested in detailing up our rides.
What about the interiors do they detail them too?
Absolutely love the look of your beauty in RED.
Shine on & Drive Safe!
Thanks for reminding me, yes they did clean the interior dashboard and door panels. If you opt for AMC, then the full interior cleaning in included and is till valid if you change seat covers or to leather. I'll post some pics
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:42   #667
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Some more pictures of interior and exterior. Thanks all.

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-interior1-1.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-interior1-2.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-interior1-3.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-dsc02198.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-wp_000344.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-shiningsideplastic.jpg

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-wp_000351.jpg
sudeepg is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:43   #668
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
^ fantastic stuff.
Now drive with panache do we have similar facility in Gurgaon?
Thanks, Sn1p3r. I do not know. UD guys as far as I know have presence only in Bangalore
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 03:33   #669
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Hey Charthom!

You really seem to have had a good trip. It must have been wonderful to be able to travel, after all the back related issues.

Loved the picture with the coconuts-in-the-making. Nature has it's way of combining colours so well. And you captured it

About the incident - Well, we can crib about it. But another way of looking at it is that if there had to be a totally unskilled and thoughtless driver hitting you, this was about as safe as it could get. Shudder to think of the maniacal drivers we have holding the steering of trucks.

Recently got to know that truck drivers who carry perishable veggies, are given a time frame to reach a destination. And if they do make it within that time frame, they are given big tips (a few grand/trip - close to the salary of a regular home chauffeur). Now, we don't have to think hard to figure out how they would drive.

Coming back to your incident and how poorly trained the scooty rider was, one thinks of how easy it is to get a driving license is. It really needs to be reformed. Maybe Anna's Lokpal will help in this too. And eventually save a few lives as well. Since this can be seen to be a political issue, it would be inappropriate to carry on on this, hence will stop.

Mate, you also got very good FE for your trip for and AT!
Kudos to you and mdsaab!
Hope you are training junior about this as well

Edit:
PS: Sorry for the delayed post.

@Sudeepg - Mate your car looks stunning! We can almost see you in one of the pics .Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 21st August 2011 at 22:36. Reason: removing extra smiley. Thanks!
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 08:45   #670
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Hey Charthom!

You really seem to have had a good trip. It must have been wonderful to be able to travel, after all the back related issues.

Loved the picture with the coconuts-in-the-making. Nature has it's way of combining colours so well. And you captured it

About the incident - Well, we can crib about it. But another way of looking at it is that if there had to be a totally unskilled and thoughtless driver hitting you, this was about as safe as it could get. Shudder to think of the maniacal drivers we have holding the steering of trucks.

Recently got to know that truck drivers who carry perishable veggies, are given a time frame to reach a destination. And if they do make it within that time frame, they are given big tips (a few grand/trip - close to the salary of a regular home chauffeur). Now, we don't have to think hard to figure out how they would drive.

Coming back to your incident and how poorly trained the scooty rider was, one thinks of how easy it is to get a driving license is. It really needs to be reformed. Maybe Anna's Lokpal will help in this too. And eventually save a few lives as well. Since this can be seen to be a political issue, it would be inappropriate to carry on on this, hence will stop.

Mate, you also got very good FE for your trip for and AT!
Kudos to you and mdsaab!
Hope you are training junior about this as well

Edit:
PS: Sorry for the delayed post.

@Sudeepg - Mate your car looks stunning! We can almost see you in one of the pics .Thanks for sharing.
@poitive

I completely agree with your thoughts here. From the description of the accident, this is as safe it could have gotten and the city did its job very well here by taking the beat. I had loved the safety features of the car and its well designed crumple zones and impact absorption capacities. Infact this is one of the things I discussed a lot with a colleague who bought his city and the more we discussed, the more I wanted to get the car then.

Also, its not just the vegetable guys that drive madly on the road. It's also the trucks that carry fish or other perishable items without a airconditioning unit. I am always on the watch out for such guys and I just let them go like I let an ambulance pass. Never take risks with these guys. This is actually a pretty good point that Poitive has brought out for everyone to stay safe on our roads. Watch out for these guys in the early morning.

Charthom's pictures in the god's own country is awesome. Love the country side and the stunning beauty's pictures. The car's pictures from the country side reminds me of Remingtonsteel's white city pictures. I am sure the UT is also going to be a colour that will turn magical after a detailing. I hope charthom considers this at some time. Just suggesting, not anything more.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 08:49   #671
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

I said it before and i will say it once more Sudeep.
Your car looks newer than new ~ Inside & Out!
They have done a fantastic job detailing the insides as well.
The work on the black plastic is just awesome. It's the toughest thing to maintain. I have had bad experience with it in the Matiz.
Do keep posting pics so that we can get an idea as to how long the detailing will last. Especially it being monsoon season right now. Though Pune has heated up like crazy. It was real HOT outside yesterday. But we are not complaining as we had some beautiful light in the bargain for the exterior photo shoot of the comparo. Check out the teaser on ANHC Hooked & Booked!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 11:40   #672
BHPian
 
sudeepg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 528
Thanked: 1,227 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I said it before and i will say it once more Sudeep.
Your car looks newer than new ~ Inside & Out!
They have done a fantastic job detailing the insides as well.
The work on the black plastic is just awesome. It's the toughest thing to maintain. I have had bad experience with it in the Matiz.
Do keep posting pics so that we can get an idea as to how long the detailing will last. Especially it being monsoon season right now. Though Pune has heated up like crazy. It was real HOT outside yesterday. But we are not complaining as we had some beautiful light in the bargain for the exterior photo shoot of the comparo. Check out the teaser on ANHC Hooked & Booked!
Many thanks for the feedback, mdsaab! I agree maintaining plastics is a difficult task. I'll post more pictures as the time goes by. I checked out the teaser on your thread and posted there too. Thanks!
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 11:42   #673
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Guys,

My car got detailed today by the Ultimate Detailerz (UD) guys and here's the report.

Short version - Nice guys, professional job, awesome work and worth the money & effort

Long Version - I had fixed up the work to be done today and was given an appointment by 8:30 AM in the morning. I was a bit skeptical on doing this weekend since it was forecasted to rain in Bangalore. So I expressed my concern to the UD guys and they offered to do the job only if there were no rains in the morning.
@sudeepg - This is terrific stuff. UD has indeed done a splendid job and your car is glittering like hell After having a look at the quality of their work, I guess its worth going in for AMC. Please share the following information so that I can plan and go for it sometime in future:
1) Contact info of UD.
2) Do they come over to our place or do we have to take the car to theirs?
3) What kind of goodies they offer us if we go for AMC?

Looking forward to your response and enjoy your weekend with your new look red beauty.

Cheers, Kiran

Last edited by GTO : 22nd August 2011 at 09:10. Reason: Please do not quote the entire long post; quoting only the relevant bits is preferred
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 11:49   #674
BHPian
 
kirantp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 384
Thanked: 129 Times
Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Friends,

I am giving my ANHC for 3rd free service tomorrow. Hence, wanted some inpputs from your end as well as to what needs to be looked into so that the service advisor can note down the same to carry it out during the service:

1) I do not want to go for oil change as I had got it changed to synthetic 3 months ago during my 2nd free service and the car has done just 2000 KMS since then. Current reading - 4990KMS. Please advise.

2) I had got the 3M under body protection during the prev service. On top of that I had done the Formula 1 Waxing all by myself 3 weeks ago. Do you suggest to go for 3M paint protection (teflon coating) or will it suffice if I continue doing the Formula 1 Waxing at home once in 2 months?

3) I want to go for headlight upgrade like the one Charthom has got it done. However, I am still awaiting detailed specs on which one to go for which I had asked him couple of days ago. Guess I will wait until he comes back online again.

Your inputs and suggestions appreciated.
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 12:20   #675
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Dear Kirantp,

Firstly please refrain from quoting the complete reply as you did because this will attract MODs wrath; against TBHP rules.

Coming to your queries please find my answers:


Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp
Friends,

I am giving my ANHC for 3rd free service tomorrow. Hence, wanted some inpputs from your end as well as to what needs to be looked into so that the service advisor can note down the same to carry it out during the service:

1) I do not want to go for oil change as I had got it changed to synthetic 3 months ago during my 2nd free service and the car has done just 2000 KMS since then. Current reading - 4990KMS. Please advise.
You can speak to the SA and get this noted in your maintenance history.

Quote:

2) I had got the 3M under body protection during the prev service. On top of that I had done the Formula 1 Waxing all by myself 3 weeks ago. Do you suggest to go for 3M paint protection (teflon coating) or will it suffice if I continue doing the Formula 1 Waxing at home once in 2 months?
It is advised not to go with the paint protection, TBHP threads will help you with precise info on why it objects. So you already have the exterior covered.

Quote:

3) I want to go for headlight upgrade like the one Charthom has got it done. However, I am still awaiting detailed specs on which one to go for which I had asked him couple of days ago. Guess I will wait until he comes back online again.

Your inputs and suggestions appreciated.
I agree that the lights feel inadequate.

Charthom has upgraded the bulbs only, there has been point and counter point on it, darkening and melting of reflectors due to heat generation were the main causes discussed, however, it also depends on your usage of lights, e.g. If you drive more at night you will expedite the results.

Charthom please Help us with observations.

Thanks!
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honda City (4th gen) niggles: A compilation. Are Honda cars niggle-free anymore? CrAzY dRiVeR The Indian Car Scene 385 8th September 2017 12:18
Honda City V-AT Sunroof. Fell in love, inspite the rising cost of petrol sawnilrules Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 82 26th December 2016 16:34
How an insignificant geek fell in love with Cars... and a Hi sunson Introduce yourself 9 26th April 2008 00:31


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 03:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks