Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th August 2011, 11:44   #736
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
It's more to do with SA, I once opted synthetic to see the difference and SA had no problems to change the oil every 10k.

Check with SA.
I agree with raghu230506. I also opted for synthetic during the 1st Free service of my ANHC. SA suggested to go with it and I agreed only after discussing all aspects of warranty including pros and cons of the change. So far its going good at 5K odo and after recently completing the 3rd Free Service (this time I did not opt for oil change. will do during the next service or once I hit 10K on the odo.)
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 21:06   #737
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Some important work + an uncle of mine in hospital.
So i know what you must be going through with the Hospital visits.
Wishing your wife a speedy recovery and a quick discharge from the hospital
You too have hospital duties-sigh.Hope all is well with your uncle.

She is fine-will be discharged on 31st. It was a rehab program of 10 days(mind you-all "rehab" programs are not the same.) But the treatment consists of complicated procedures which run upto 3+3 hrs daily(twice). Quite exhaustive- but surprisingly effective!!

Anyone with back problems-PM me. Very effective treatment for real bad problems,sans surgery.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 09:40   #738
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
You too have hospital duties-sigh.Hope all is well with your uncle.

She is fine-will be discharged on 31st. It was a rehab program of 10 days(mind you-all "rehab" programs are not the same.) But the treatment consists of complicated procedures which run upto 3+3 hrs daily(twice). Quite exhaustive- but surprisingly effective!!

Anyone with back problems-PM me. Very effective treatment for real bad problems,sans surgery.
Yep, plus with the work load i am having very little spare time.
Glad that your wife will be discharged real soon. I hope she is feeling much better already.

Regarding the oil selection.
I just wanted to share my experience with the Civic.
It's been 3 years + of ownership and i have stuck to mineral oil.
There is absolutely no problem in doing so.
I change the oil every 6 months when i go in for a service.
and it costs only 900 odd Rupees.
i was suggested once by the SA to opt for synthetic, so i asked him what's inside right now, he said mineral, and so i told him to just stick with the mineral oil.
Is there a way to check that synthetic oil has truly been put in?
what if they still fill in mineral oil even though you are paying for synthetic?
or do they fill it up in front of you?
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 10:47   #739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Dude, glad to note that the rehab went well and that your wife is coming home on 31st.

While you were away from action, I had caught up with my accessory manager last week and he has suggested to go for some kind of a sticker for the front windshield glass that blocks any kind of heat from entering in thereby enhancing the air-conditioning inside the car.

He said that this sticker is from Lumar costs approx 10K if I got it done from the dealer and he would offer it to me for 5K if I get it done directly from Lumar (he said he would make arrangements for this).

So wanted to know your/ our fellow BHPians inputs and suggestions on this.
Old 28th August 2011, 13:42   #740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp

Dude, glad to note that the rehab went well and that your wife is coming home on 31st.

While you were away from action, I had caught up with my accessory manager last week and he has suggested to go for some kind of a sticker for the front windshield glass that blocks any kind of heat from entering in thereby enhancing the air-conditioning inside the car.

He said that this sticker is from Lumar costs approx 10K if I got it done from the dealer and he would offer it to me for 5K if I get it done directly from Lumar (he said he would make arrangements for this).

Yes it may be true that doing it at the dealer will cost you more.
But you won't know for sure untill you find out with the dealer yourself.
Just make sure you see the windshield sticker in it's original packing so you know it's genuine.
Many accessory shops get the company person to professionally install the products on your car.
This i feel is great cause the technician is highly trained and has experience in fitting those products.
The difference in price is double. So if the accessory guy shows you the packed piece and gets it installed by the Lumar fellow himself then i think there should be no problem going ahead with it.
Just for info sake compare it with the Honda dealer quote so you know for sure.
Good Luck!
and don't forget to post pics of the installation procedure etc.
Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:51   #741
BHPian

Quote:
Just for info sake compare it with the Honda dealer quote so you know for sure.
Drive Safe!
@mdsaab: Thanks for your suggestions. The accessory manager at the Honda Dealership himself has offered me to get it done outside directly from Lumar. He said it would cost 10K to get it done from the Honda showroom and 5K from the Lumar guys. Once I give a go ahead, he would arrange the Lumar folks drop over wherever I say to install the sticker.

I will go for it sometime next month as I need to take a breather after going for the CASKA and speaker upgrade this month

Cheers, Kiran
Old 28th August 2011, 20:44   #742
BHPian

Quote:
It's been 3 years + of ownership and i have stuck to mineral oil.
There is absolutely no problem in doing so.
I change the oil every 6 months when i go in for a service.
and it costs only 900 odd Rupees.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Honda Dealership himself has offered me to get it done outside directly from Lumar. He said it would cost 10K to get it done from the Honda showroom and 5K from the Lumar guys. Once I give a go ahead, he would arrange the Lumar folks drop over wherever I say to install the sticker.

I will go for it sometime next month as I need to take a breather after going for the CASKA and speaker upgrade this month

Cheers, Kiran
mdsaab, How many KM have you done while changing the oil every 6 months?
In my case it is about 2500 and do i have to change it at 6 months?
Why do we have to waste the oil when it can be used for longer.
The service stations do not perform any analysis or test to find out the worthiness of the oil other than the so called "viscosity test" using fingers which does not reveal anything.
Most of the time the engine oil is replaced much before its life and it is not only a money making business but creates more pollution while handling and disposing.

kiran, the "sticker" you are referring is nothing but sun film of higher transparency (usually 70%) that is fixed on the front shield of cars such as ANHC that has large glass area.
This is supposed to help prevent the heat entering through the front windshield.
There are mixed opinions and experience in using this film.
Please go through the advantages and disadvantages experienced by fellow members before making a well informed choice.
Please note that this film is different from the usual sun film that is fixed on the windows and rear wind shield and needs to be understood well before choosing to use it.

HC
Habanero City is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 21:55   #743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The SA might nit have issues but in case something does bust Honda won't oblige with replacement/repairs. SA will be fired at best. I am unwilling to take that chance unless they reach out to consumers with an official statement. I do reckon that honda engines are meant to last and will be ok with Synthetics. It's only due to high returns for the dealers and service stations that the 5k service is implemented. Now with growing pressure from numbers Jazz/city and soon Brio customers will pile up and I foresee Honda taking a different service interval, else HASS will suffer inevitably.
Yea, my suggestion is to stick to what is mentioned in the owners manual as much as you can in terms of engine maintenance. Synthetic is good, but also costlier and makes your service interval longer. I have also heard that it reduces wear and tear but then honda engines are built to last.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 22:09   #744
BHPian

^^ I would suggest go with what Honda comes with - & it comes with mineral oil by default.
In the Mineral vs. Synthetic oil thread on Team-BHP; the oil guru's recommend going for synthetic oil only after some running of say atleast 10k-20k under the belt.

IMHO synthetic oil will actually make a significant impact after considerable kms say 50-60K.
Rest, its individual preference obviously at the cost.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 28th August 2011 at 22:12.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 07:39   #745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
kiran, the "sticker" you are referring is nothing but sun film of higher transparency (usually 70%) that is fixed on the front shield of cars such as ANHC that has large glass area.
This is supposed to help prevent the heat entering through the front windshield.
There are mixed opinions and experience in using this film.
Please go through the advantages and disadvantages experienced by fellow members before making a well informed choice.
Please note that this film is different from the usual sun film that is fixed on the windows and rear wind shield and needs to be understood well before choosing to use it.
HC
@HC: Thanks for your valuable inputs dude. I will surely keep them in my mind to evaluate all aspects before deciding to go for one.

Cheers, Kiran
Old 29th August 2011, 08:15   #746
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@mdsaab: Thanks for your suggestions. The accessory manager at the Honda Dealership himself has offered me to get it done outside directly from Lumar. He said it would cost 10K to get it done from the Honda showroom and 5K from the Lumar guys. Once I give a go ahead, he would arrange the Lumar folks drop over wherever I say to install the sticker.
Oh then that's great of him. Just make sure you see that the product you receive is in a packed state. but now that HC has indicated there has been a mixed response to the product i suggest it's better you research it once more before deciding upon it.
Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
mdsaab, How many KM have you done while changing the oil every 6 months?
In my case it is about 2500 and do i have to change it at 6 months?
Why do we have to waste the oil when it can be used for longer.
The service stations do not perform any analysis or test to find out the worthiness of the oil other than the so called "viscosity test" using fingers which does not reveal anything.
Most of the time the engine oil is replaced much before its life and it is not only a money making business but creates more pollution while handling and disposing.
It all depends, if we make a highway trip then we have a good amount of KM's on the ODO before the service. Sometimes we run about in the City a lot too, and sometimes the usage may turn out low as well.
But now irrespective of this i change the engine oil at 6 month intervals.
Yes many a times the oil can be kept and used for longer, but it's not very often that the SA would advice you this. After all they need to make money for the dealership as you rightly pointed out.
Also totally agree with you on the pollution part too.
but in most cases my car has run a decent amount of kms and i prefer to change the oil this way. It may be a psychological thing to, knowing that the oil has been replaced.

Overall this is the only part of the service where for years i have always had my doubts. many a service centre was instructed to carry out the service without me being present, however the engine oil will be changed in front of me.
What if they say they are going to change the oil but do not do so in the end?
so always before service to check the condition of the oil yourself.
That way you can do one more check after the service and get a true picture whether the oil has been changed or not.
Since the Honda service system is fully computerized they know when you came in for your last service and even how many kms have run since the last service. It's better in your service record that you follow the guidelines in place by Honda. So god forbid if there are any issues. It will be sorted out under warranty.
Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 09:26   #747
BHPian

Quote:

You seem to be on a roll with accessories. My personal opinion is to actually ask people who have had this installed to see what level of temperature difference it gives using a thermometer. Note that you are spending 5K on this film and that is still a good amount of money that people like us will spend. So we must ensure it has some returns and not go waste. You could take a reading from your car and ask someone who has it installed to see how much difference it made. I had once asked a accessory shop about the film and they quoted 7K.

All said and done, sun control films do offer a difference in temperature. It might make sense for people who live in hot and humid areas, but in Bangalore - I am not so sure since the thermos at minimum and a fan speed of 1 in itself is high in the ANHC.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 09:48   #748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg

Yea, my suggestion is to stick to what is mentioned in the owners manual as much as you can in terms of engine maintenance. Synthetic is good, but also costlier and makes your service interval longer. I have also heard that it reduces wear and tear but then honda engines are built to last.
Thank you! I have decided to stick with the Honda oil. Synthetic does make a lot of sense but will consider it next year. The engine will be 20k odd at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele
^^ I would suggest go with what Honda comes with - & it comes with mineral oil by default.
In the Mineral vs. Synthetic oil thread on Team-BHP; the oil guru's recommend going for synthetic oil only after some running of say atleast 10k-20k under the belt.

IMHO synthetic oil will actually make a significant impact after considerable kms say 50-60K.
Rest, its individual preference obviously at the cost.
Thanks for making my decision easier. I have been following the thread you refer to and thus I am sticking with Honda OE oil, works well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg

All said and done, sun control films do offer a difference in temperature. It might make sense for people who live in hot and humid areas, but in Bangalore - I am not so sure since the thermos at minimum and a fan speed of 1 in itself is high in the ANHC.
Kirantp: I agree with Sudeepg as the glass area is huge for ANHC, I got mine fixed the very next day. I went with the Sun Control film 70 on front and back and 50 on side. Total cost 5000/- with warranty of 5 years and certificate for the RTO if ever they check. I am a happy customer, atleast the tanning is not excruciating while driving mid day. The AC works like a charm and reduces fuel bills as well.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 11:00   #749
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Kirantp: I agree with Sudeepg as the glass area is huge for ANHC, I got mine fixed the very next day. I went with the Sun Control film 70 on front and back and 50 on side. Total cost 5000/- with warranty of 5 years and certificate for the RTO if ever they check. I am a happy customer, atleast the tanning is not excruciating while driving mid day. The AC works like a charm and reduces fuel bills as well.
Thank you sir. I have one vote for it now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Sure dude. As I had mentioned in my reply to mdsaab's quote, I have not yet decided to go for it as of now and that I will revisit it sometime later after collecting all the feedback and opinions from you folks so that I can thoroughly evaluate this option before going for it.

I definitely agree with you that you do not need one for BLR and me being a localite would not even think of going for it. However, considering the frequency of long drives that I do with the family, it would well be a good option to go for it so that wife and kids at the back feel comfortable during those hot summer vacation outings
Old 29th August 2011, 16:06   #750
BHPian

I got my front windshield film from 3M , 70% transparency, CR-70. I paid 5.5 k. And Lumar is normally cheaper than 3M. You might almost get V-kool for 10k.
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote