Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th August 2011, 16:45   #751
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I got my front windshield film from 3M , 70% transparency, CR-70. I paid 5.5 k. And Lumar is normally cheaper than 3M. You might almost get V-kool for 10k.
Nice discussions going on here.May I come in Sirs?!

My front windshield is V-Kool YK70-70%,done at Honda. I paid a total of 18,000/- for all around.Don't remember how much was the anti glare alone. The performance is very good-but I won't be able to compare as this is my first ever anti-glare film.

And the brand-most fingers are pointing at 3M by default!

Regarding the oil,considering the short service interval Honda has prescribed,mineral oil is sufficient. Synthetics are enhanced products-they extend a helping hand in case your engine has to face extreme conditions.

For normal service they are as unnecessary as specially treated petrol.Pampering your-engine/car unnecessary will only increase running costs-it will not help maintaining it better. Pamper the car just enough so that she pampers you more

During my recent visit to Hyundai A.S.S.,I asked about synthetic oils. They don't even offer it!

Last edited by charthom : 29th August 2011 at 16:56.
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:16   #752
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Synthetic and Mineral Oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
My running is under 2k a month and thus I will stick to the mineral OEM oil. I plan to switch to the synthetic only after Honda's engine warranty is done with. That means post 40k km on the odo. Then Its upto me to maintain and there is no legal hassle with Honda. Had Honda policy been for 10k oil change then I would have shifted to the Synthetic right away. Remember I had a poker in Germany and I know the value of Synthetic oil, however, the 5k thingy is too conservative from Honda. I hope they change this as well, even Maruti/Hyundai have progressed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raghu230506 View Post
It's more to do with SA, I once opted synthetic to see the difference and SA had no problems to change the oil every 10k..
What difference did you notice mate? Especially in the first few thousand kms.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
I agree with raghu230506. I also opted for synthetic during the 1st Free service of my ANHC. SA suggested to go with it and I agreed only after discussing all aspects of warranty including pros and cons of the change. So far its going good at 5K odo and after recently completing the 3rd Free Service (this time I did not opt for oil change. will do during the next service or once I hit 10K on the odo.)
Opinions on Running-in vary a lot. There is also talk about synthetic oil not being a good idea in the first few thousand kms of the car. I presume it is to allow the piston rings and bore to get 'polish' each other well enough. The extra smoothness from synthetic oil may not be too good for this 'polishing' effect. It is a debatable point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Regarding the oil selection.
I just wanted to share my experience with the Civic.
It's been 3 years + of ownership and i have stuck to mineral oil.
There is absolutely no problem in doing so.
I change the oil every 6 months when i go in for a service.
and it costs only 900 odd Rupees.
i was suggested once by the SA to opt for synthetic, so i asked him what's inside right now, he said mineral, and so i told him to just stick with the mineral oil.
Is there a way to check that synthetic oil has truly been put in?
what if they still fill in mineral oil even though you are paying for synthetic?
or do they fill it up in front of you?
From the little I know, this is the biggest scam. Old oil may get reused after some crude filtration process and be topped with a bit of fresh oil. This is not specific to either type of oil. If possible, we should always be right there when the oil is being changed.

Have experienced the difference before. Long story, probably for another day.

Also been advised by a A$$ guy himself to make sure that I am there when the oil of my car is being changed!

Some other thoughts on the matter

I am no expert on the issue, but it seems that one may be better of by changing mineral oil more frequently (5k) than using better synthetic oil at less frequent intervals (10k). That, of course is for cars which recommend mineral.

AFAIK one major reason to change the oil is to get rid of the fine debris that accumulate in the engine oil which may be better achieved with more frequent changes.

If one is looking for outright performance and one uses the car in extreme conditions and revs, the story may be different however. Synthetic may suit more.

Interestingly, the Cruze and Optra Magnum use the same engine (though with different turbo chargers). Synthetic is recommended for Cruze. Mineral for Optra. Wonder if it has anything to do with the perceived paying capacity of the customer

OT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
she is in the hospital this moment- expected to be back by 1st.
Wasn't tuned in to the thread mate. Hope she is recovering well and that she is fine soon. Take care.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
Not sure how much I can do in the coming months since we are expecting our first child in the beginning of the next year! So that is also a #1 priority for us. It's a small world for me here - my spouse, my child and the ANHC.
Hey man - Congrats! All the very best!!
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:53   #753
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive

I was on an assignment in Germany for quite a while. I had dew BMWs and AUDIs, these were oil burners and one petrol 3 series. But for 6 months I had Cayman. All these were leased cars and I got one of the BMW that was not serviced properly and left me stranded on Hamburg highway, this diabolical error made the company give me a premium experience with Cayman. But before that happened, I was at the service station with a serious German engineer. He showed me why, my car was in pain. All the cars in Germany he claimed ran on Synthetics as the speeds they do and the mileage they cover, the weather they have did not let them settle for mineral. He also explained that it's the initial moments that cause more damage and the stationary running engine is counter productive for parts. I clearly remember he said, "if you stand at a place with few books in hand then you get tired more as you have muscle stress, if you move the blood will clean and provide muscles with oxygen". Thus I am a proponent of Synthetic as it's clinically designed for the initial layer. Second thing I learnt was that he said, it's better to service regularly rather than waiting long period. However, in India it's not the same, we drive less, average German will do 16k km annually also mostly on highways and unclogged roads so they change twice a year, here I do half of it in a year so does not make sense for me to go Synthetic. It's his second advice I heed to.

It is not wrong to go Synthetic at any stage, I have seen Jazz and Civic in UK come with Synthetic out of box.
Sn1p3r is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:07   #754
BHPian

Quote:
I was on an assignment in Germany for quite a while. I had dew BMWs and AUDIs, these were oil burners and one petrol 3 series. But for 6 months I had Cayman. All these were leased cars and I got one of the BMW that was not serviced properly and left me stranded on Hamburg highway, this diabolical error made the company give me a premium experience with Cayman. But before that happened, I was at the service station with a serious German engineer. He showed me why, my car was in pain. All the cars in Germany he claimed ran on Synthetics as the speeds they do and the mileage they cover, the weather they have did not let them settle for mineral. He also explained that it's the initial moments that cause more damage and the stationary running engine is counter productive for parts. I clearly remember he said, "if you stand at a place with few books in hand then you get tired more as you have muscle stress, if you move the blood will clean and provide muscles with oxygen". Thus I am a proponent of Synthetic as it's clinically designed for the initial layer. Second thing I learnt was that he said, it's better to service regularly rather than waiting long period. However, in India it's not the same, we drive less, average German will do 16k km annually also mostly on highways and unclogged roads so they change twice a year, here I do half of it in a year so does not make sense for me to go Synthetic. It's his second advice I heed to.

It is not wrong to go Synthetic at any stage, I have seen Jazz and Civic in UK come with Synthetic out of box.
WOW, this is really nice information. I did hear that the most wear and tear occurs during the initial stages. This is bound to happen for my car since it does not run during the weekdays. It stays put and runs a few kilometers only on weekends. So does it make sense to go synthetic? How does it make a difference to the initial wear and tear? (sorry if I missed this point in any posts). I am still not very convinced. I let the car idle for over a minute before driving off.

@charthom

Glad to hear your wife is coming back on 31st. All the very best pal. I also read in one of your posts that you are sailing in mid september. Are you still going to be active on team bhp?

@poitive

Thanks buddy.
sudeepg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 09:17   #755
Senior - BHPian

Synthetics are better than mineral oil without any doubt. But IMO one should go for synthetic oil if one drives under harsh riding conditions and drives aggressively. Otherwise mineral oil is fine and will save bucks for you too.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 10:08   #756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg

It stays put and runs a few kilometers only on weekends. So does it make sense to go synthetic? How does it make a difference to the initial wear and tear? (sorry if I missed this point in any posts). I am still not very convinced. I let the car idle for over a minute before driving off.
Think of your engine to be a frying pan, if you switch on the flame and immediately start cooking, the result will be uncooked food that sticks. It is always better to heat evenly and thus copper bottom pans save time. Going by this example, you do the right thing to let the engine warm up before you drive. Very similar to do warm up before you jog/exercise.

Now coming to the synthetic/mineral part. If you are only using it for weekends then it does not make sense to go synthetic. The way synthetic sticks and lubricate the parts is important for many conditions where mineral takes time. E.g., harsh winters, or equatorial temperatures that are beyond mineral operating range.

I suggest you to keep the OE oil. My daily drive is about 21 km with weekend drives of 80km thus even in my case mineral suffice.

@Charthom: good news buddy. Take good care. Enjoy the blessed moment.
Sn1p3r is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 11:07   #757
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Folks, I did notice the difference since going synthetic during my 2nd free service at 2K ODO. Now I am at 5K ODO, done with 3rd free service and did not go for an oil change yet.

The difference that I have noticed is in the smoothness of the engine while you are on the run. You hardly hear the engine cry even when you press the gas when you are doing 80+ kmph. I have tested this with all windows open and absolutely no music. Imagine with windows closed, you will feel as if you are sailing

I do 15Kms on weekdays and 50-80kms on weekends so am pretty satisfied with the preformance of synthetic oil.

Regards, Kiran
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 12:32   #758
aby
BHPian

Finally after weeks of bargaining, I proudly took possession of my Bold Beige ANHC yesterday. First impression was fantastic. But thanks a ton to this ownership review thread, which kind of was the thing which tipped the balance.

Will post a detailed first week review next week.
aby is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:23   #759
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby
Finally after weeks of bargaining, I proudly took possession of my Bold Beige ANHC yesterday. First impression was fantastic. But thanks a ton to this ownership review thread, which kind of was the thing which tipped the balance.

Congratulations! I see it's raining more cities than Vernas which I thought had more bookings at it's launch or am I not getting the update feed?

We await your ownership and buying experience. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:33   #760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post

Congrats aby. Welcome to the club. We all are eagerly awaiting for initial ownership review along with pics from you. Have fun

Cheers, Kiran
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 16:54   #761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
The extra smoothness from synthetic oil may not be too good for this 'polishing' effect. It is a debatable point.
Poitive,the key point to remember in successful running-in is to vary the load on the engine.

The running in is required between the piston rings and the cylinder liners of the engine units.And to a smaller extent between the valves and their seats,in actual running conditions.Vary the speed and give them a chance to rub each other at varying speeds.

Secondly, change the oil in service after the prescribed period of running in whether it is mineral or synthetic.Synthetics are nothing but enhanced minerals. For the running in period,the enhancement is not required as the engine is running under a guarded condition.Each manufacturer(especially highly reputed ones) prescribes the running in procedure which is accurate for that engine.
Hence after the successful running in, it is a common practice to replace the oil with a fresh charge.

Now the engine is ready for full throttle action. Choose your oil at this stage depending on the requirements.If the maker does not recommend a synthetic,don't use them. If they suggest a choice ,then choose wisely depending on the conditions to which the engine is exposed.Strictly use the grade and brand prescribed-if using a compatible substitute clarify with the maker.

Quote:
Old oil may get reused after some crude filtration process and be topped with a bit of fresh oil. This is not specific to either type of oil.
This is shocking but true.

Quote:
but it seems that one may be better of by changing mineral oil more frequently (5k) than using better synthetic oil at less frequent intervals (10k). That, of course is for cars which recommend mineral.
This is very true and is common practice.Again remember- for a car for which synthetic is not recommended-don't use it without clarifying from the maker.

Quote:
AFAIK one major reason to change the oil is to get rid of the fine debris that accumulate in the engine oil which may be better achieved with more frequent changes.
Yes. Also the oil loses its properties by the prescribed period of service and hence needs replacement.

Quote:
If one is looking for outright performance and one uses the car in extreme conditions and revs, the story may be different however. Synthetic may suit more.
Again trust the maker-they know that their cars are going to be driven.
Extreme driving conditions by default do not call for synthetics.

Quote:
Interestingly, the Cruze and Optra Magnum use the same engine (though with different turbo chargers). Synthetic is recommended for Cruze. Mineral for Optra. Wonder if it has anything to do with the perceived paying capacity of the customer
Both engines working under different scavenging conditions-hence different oils( my reasoning)

Quote:
Wasn't tuned in to the thread mate. Hope she is recovering well and that she is fine soon. Take care.
Thanks Mate. Feeling optimistic.

Quote:
I was on an assignment in Germany for quite a while. I had dew BMWs and AUDIs, these were oil burners and one petrol 3 series. But for 6 months I had Cayman.
Sn1p3r,my eyes are greener than your organic farms-Buddy!!

Quote:
It is correct to stick to the manufacturer's recommendations. Hopefully they don't have double standard in this matter for India and Germany,UK etc. If we feel so-the same has to be clarified.How about the climatic conditions? Extreme cold?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudeepg View Post
I let the car idle for over a minute before driving off.
Sudeep-if you remember,the warm up duration has been discussed here. The general agreement was-wait for the blue indication to disappear before driving off.

Quote:
Glad to hear your wife is coming back on 31st. All the very best pal. I also read in one of your posts that you are sailing in mid september. Are you still going to be active on team bhp?
Thanks buddy-for your loving concern. I don't have internet access out at sea. I might try to access at ports. Will be on and off-it seems. But I will miss you all day and night, for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Synthetics are better than mineral oil without any doubt. But IMO one should go for synthetic oil if one drives under harsh riding conditions and drives aggressively. Otherwise mineral oil is fine and will save bucks for you too.
Wisely spoken,bluevolt.Let us not drive aggressively and save a few bucks lives.

Quote:
The way synthetic sticks and lubricate the parts is important for many conditions where mineral takes time. E.g., harsh winters, or equatorial temperatures that are beyond mineral operating range.
This is very correct Sn1p3r.The ingredients greatly depend on the running conditions.In a country where extreme climates are faced (Canada, Norway, African countries etc.) special oil is required.This could be a reason why Honda has prescribed synthetics for UK but mineral for India.

Quote:
@Charthom: good news buddy. Take good care. Enjoy the blessed moment.
Thanks Mate.With your earnest wishes-we will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
The difference that I have noticed is in the smoothness of the engine while you are on the run. You hardly hear the engine cry even when you press the gas when you are doing 80+ kmph. I have tested this with all windows open and absolutely no music. Imagine with windows closed, you will feel as if you are sailing

I do 15Kms on weekdays and 50-80kms on weekends so am pretty satisfied with the preformance of synthetic oil.
Great news-Kiran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aby View Post
Finally after weeks of bargaining, I proudly took possession of my Bold Beige ANHC yesterday. First impression was fantastic.
Great news-aby. Congratulations,Mate.Welcome to the City club and this thread.

AT or MT? Can't wait for your review!

Quote:
But thanks a ton to this ownership review thread, which kind of was the thing which tipped the balance.
Always welcome. Feeling great to know that this thread has been of help.

Last edited by charthom : 30th August 2011 at 16:55.
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:41   #762
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have internet access out at sea. I might try to access at ports. Will be on and off-it seems. But I will miss you all day and night, for sure.
That's sad buddy. For what period you will be on work? When will you be back? You will be greatly missed :(
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:45   #763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
That's sad buddy. For what period you will be on work? When will you be back? You will be greatly missed :(
Be back by end March,2012. This time I will figure out some way to be on the forum-at least in ports. Hope you guys will still keep this thread alive.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:45   #764
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I don't have internet access out at sea. I might try to access at ports. Will be on and off-it seems. But I will miss you all day and night, for sure.
How long you are going to be out sailing? And is Port of Singapore a destination?

Edit: Just saw your response to bluevolt. Now to the 2nd question

Last edited by vb-san : 30th August 2011 at 17:47. Reason: Comment added
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2011, 17:52   #765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
How long you are going to be out sailing? And is Port of Singapore a destination?

Edit: Just saw your response to bluevolt. Now to the 2nd question
vb-san,

For 6 months this time. We are tramping-hence may go anywhere in the world. My last visit to Singapore was in 2003-hence it is not a frequent port.And never been to India!!!

If I happen to come to Singapore-will certainly give you a call.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote