Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th June 2011, 12:08   #106
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thanks for sharing. The workmanship is of very high quality indeed.
That was expected, after all I paid 600 INR as labour charges.

Quote:
Usually they goof up at the edges where the leather folds inside the armrest plate. I will try to post a picture of a bad workmanship soon!

I heard similar experiences from my friends who got the job done from outside. That's why I got seat covers from Honda and didn't bother about the premium they charge (as per many).
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 12:13   #107
BHPian

Default Re: Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!

Quote:
@kirantp, is it possible for you to post close up pictures of the front hand rest. Specially the corner tips where the leather folds inside. Usually fitters goof up in those areas. I was wondering how Karlsson did the job.
Sure dot. Shall post the pics as soon as I get back home this evening.
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:16   #108
BHPian

Dear fellow BHPians,

Thank you for appreciating and evaluating my post on the ANHC purchase. I am sorry for not posting photos and details of the Caska HU for so long despite your demands/requests.The write up and snaps are now ready.

Moderators,I am a bit confused if I can post this here.If inappropriate,please do the favour of moving this to the accessories section.I will appreciate your assistance.

Friends,please read my following write up on Caska HU.

Choosing Caska

I had seen ads of Caska but never understood its versatility- and price!! Then I read a.sundaram’s ownership report of his Cruze in which he had described his Caska unit. I was fascinated by the idea of an aftermarket HU synchronizing seamlessly to the original controls.

At the time of booking my Etios, upon learning about my intention to install a GPS unit, the guys at Toyota suggested that I book V edition rather than VX because” the steering mounted audio controls will not work anyway”.I asked about Caska and the SE had no clue.

So I ventured out-called up Caska Cochin,where Mr.Vinod(09447053329) gave me the no. of another Toyota executive of accessory section-Caska HU for Etios is the same as Fortuner and Innova(as per them). He re-assured me that the HU will work with the steering mounted controls of Etios. Even though shocked by the price (52000/-) I arranged to fit it in my Etios VX rather than going for V edition with a cheap HU. The next day I was surprised to see Caska unit in the Innova taxi I was travelling in. The driver began gushing in its praise. But at the angle of installation, there was too much glare on the screen, making it unclear. However I was impressed by the way the GPS navigated us to a hospital in Trichur.

My Etios deal got cancelled and while booking my City, I inquired the Honda people about the possibility of upgrading to Caska HU. The HU was indeed available and it would work with the original steering controls. Price quoted was 55000/- for the City and I managed a discount of 2000/- that is how the Caska unit found its way into my ANHC.

The HU is IN3631G.It is made specifically for ANHC S and V types. There is a separate unit for E type. There is absolutely no glare on the screen in City

Functions

1.Radio-FM,AM
2.DVD,VCD,CD,mp3,MPEG4,JPEG discs
3.SD card-Nav software is connected through SD card slot.
4.Portable hard drives,mp3 playes etc throgh USB
5.Bluetooth-phone calls and music playing. Syncs with the phone’s incoming,received and missed calls-5 each in all categories.
6.VIR.CDC-it will store your cds during play and act like a virtual CD changer(can store 5 cds).
7.TV compatible.
8.iPod/iPhone will connect through separate jack provided.
9.AV function
10.XM/CDC-available if CD changer is installed or XM radio is connected.
11.Sat navigation System with GPS
12.Rear zone function-driver can enjoy music while the passenger watches DVD.
13.Tyre pressure monitoring system-additional sensors etc reqd.
14.Reverse camera
15.Compatible with steering audio controls

I have not used/tried out many functions of the HU. However, I have tried out some and taken a few snaps to demonstrate its main functions-hope my fellow BHPians will find them interesting.

Please note the flg:
1. The Caska has no Aux jack(but may be added) but since most mp3 players/hard drives will work through USB and most phones will work through blue tooth. Hence you may not miss it. The iPHONE will work through the separate jack customized for iPOD/iPHONE
2. The unit has no remote control-handy while being chauffeur-driven. I think it is available as optional-but have not confirmed as I am not much interested in it. The steering mounted controls are more than sufficient for now.
3. Please remember to install the microphone at a convenient position(see the snap), say, near to the IRVM for the benefit of the front passenger too rather than on the right side of the driver.
4. As pmishra had asked, when you select the reverse gear there is a momentary interruption of the music.
5. I have not installed a subwoofer. The Honda people have warned me not to install it though non-experts. Can have serious problems.

This is for now. I will try to find out answers to any queries and will try to clarify the doubts. Hope I will succeed in your keeping your enthusiasm high.

Please see the following snaps.

The Caska Hu looks like this in place.

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caska1.jpg

FM radio on Caska HU

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caska2.jpg

The Main menu of Caska HU

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskamain-menu.jpg

The Caska DVD function

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskadvd.jpg

You can view the Speedometer on Caska

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskaspeedo.jpg

Dedicated iPod jack and USB jack

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-ipodusb.jpg

Caska receiving the iPhone through a dedicated jack

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskaiphone.jpg

Blue tooth function of the Caska HU

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskabluetooth1.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskabluetooth-2.jpg

The microphone

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskablue-tooth3.jpg

The Sat Nav on Caska

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskasatnav1.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskasatnav2.jpg

The reverse sensor on the rear bumper

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskarev1.jpg

The reverse sensor
Name:  caskarev2.JPG
Views: 2907
Size:  25.0 KB

The Caska reverse camera-night vision

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caska15nvrev4.jpg
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskarev5.jpg

The Caska reverse camera-day vision
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-caskadvrev3.jpg

I hope these are to the satisfaction of you all.Please revert with your comments,opinions,queries and criticism.

Love you all,charthom
charthom is offline   (10) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:38   #109
BHPian

Wow! And to think I was the only person buying a City these days!
Got myself a Tafeta White V AT two months ago. Have covered ~5000km and have completed 2 services. Here is a lowdown of my ownership experience :
. I got delivery within 3-4 days of booking. Dealership was professional and staff courteous. Got good discount. ~45000 rupees worth.
. Being a diesel driver (Innova, Laura & Octavia), the responsiveness of a pertol engine is addictive. And the iVTEC is right up there with the best. The manual is a bit quicker though. Also, the auto seems a bit lazy at times. I do override and change often. Can feel the lack of torque.
.The ride and handling is rubbish. It wallows at speed and is stiff in the urban areas. Changed the puny tires but the improvement was only marginal. If only the suspension was tuned better, this thing would have made one hell of a drivers machine. And the bottom scrapes with 5 people and a bit of luggage in the boot.
. Mileage is just about acceptable. 11kmpl within the city if driven gingerly. On the highways, its a good 14. Best: 16.1 | Worst: 8.6
. Service by the local dealer has been strictly Ok. One oil change done. The pick up and drop off is prompt. But the interior cleaning was not up to the mark.
. Overall I am happy with my purchase. It could have been better. And less expensive too. Too bad, the price cut only just came. Would I buy it again? No! Would I sell it soon? No!

Accessories Installed :
3M film all around.
Garware ICECOOL windshield film.
Parking sensors.
Fabric floor mats.
Roots Windtone Horn.
Phillips Rally 90/100 bulb upgrade with Bosch relay.
YOKOHAMA C-Drive 195/55 R15 tires.

Wishlist :
Caska or similar Touchscreen SatNav HU.
3D Kagu mats (Pune dealer?)
CNG kit
BuBooMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:39   #110
BHPian

@Charthom, This is super cool man. I also wanted to go for this HU for my 'V' variant but had to shelve off due to the budget. I will plan to get it upgraded to Caska HU sometime next year for sure.

Awsome pics and information.

Cheers,
KTP
kirantp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 14:58   #111
BHPian

Charthom, please accept my heartiest wishes on your beautiful car. It surely is still a head turner. Drive safe.

And you just completely blew me away with your wonderful post on the Caska HU. Now I understand why you keep saying its versatile. :-) Indeed a great devise.

Hope you're recuperating now. Wish you many a wonderful miles.
flyingkolors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:12   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirantp View Post
Sure dot. Shall post the pics as soon as I get back home this evening.
Hey dot, here you go with the closeup pics of the hand rest that you had asked for. Let me know your view on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0638.jpg  

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0639.jpg  

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0646.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 17:28   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Dear fellow BHPians,

Thank you for appreciating and evaluating my post on the ANHC purchase. I am sorry for not posting photos and details of the Caska HU for so long despite your demands/requests.The write up and snaps are now ready.

Moderators,I am a bit confused if I can post this here.If inappropriate,please do the favour of moving this to the accessories section.I will appreciate your assistance.

Friends,please read my following write up on Caska HU.

Choosing Caska

I had seen ads of Caska but never understood its versatility- and price!! Then I read a.sundaram’s ownership report of his Cruze in which he had described his Caska unit. I was fascinated by the idea of an aftermarket HU synchronizing seamlessly to the original controls.

At the time of booking my Etios, upon learning about my intention to install a GPS unit, the guys at Toyota suggested that I book V edition rather than VX because” the steering mounted audio controls will not work anyway”.I asked about Caska and the SE had no clue.

So I ventured out-called up Caska Cochin,where Mr.Vinod(09447053329) gave me the no. of another Toyota executive of accessory section-Caska HU for Etios is the same as Fortuner and Innova(as per them). He re-assured me that the HU will work with the steering mounted controls of Etios. Even though shocked by the price (52000/-) I arranged to fit it in my Etios VX rather than going for V edition with a cheap HU. The next day I was surprised to see Caska unit in the Innova taxi I was travelling in. The driver began gushing in its praise. But at the angle of installation, there was too much glare on the screen, making it unclear. However I was impressed by the way the GPS navigated us to a hospital in Trichur.

My Etios deal got cancelled and while booking my City, I inquired the Honda people about the possibility of upgrading to Caska HU. The HU was indeed available and it would work with the original steering controls. Price quoted was 55000/- for the City and I managed a discount of 2000/- that is how the Caska unit found its way into my ANHC.

The HU is IN3631G.It is made specifically for ANHC S and V types. There is a separate unit for E type. There is absolutely no glare on the screen in City

Functions

1.Radio-FM,AM
2.DVD,VCD,CD,mp3,MPEG4,JPEG discs
3.SD card-Nav software is connected through SD card slot.
4.Portable hard drives,mp3 playes etc throgh USB
5.Bluetooth-phone calls and music playing. Syncs with the phone’s incoming,received and missed calls-5 each in all categories.
6.VIR.CDC-it will store your cds during play and act like a virtual CD changer(can store 5 cds).
7.TV compatible.
8.iPod/iPhone will connect through separate jack provided.
9.AV function
10.XM/CDC-available if CD changer is installed or XM radio is connected.
11.Sat navigation System with GPS
12.Rear zone function-driver can enjoy music while the passenger watches DVD.
13.Tyre pressure monitoring system-additional sensors etc reqd.
14.Reverse camera
15.Compatible with steering audio controls

I have not used/tried out many functions of the HU. However, I have tried out some and taken a few snaps to demonstrate its main functions-hope my fellow BHPians will find them interesting.

Please note the flg:
1. The Caska has no Aux jack(but may be added) but since most mp3 players/hard drives will work through USB and most phones will work through blue tooth. Hence you may not miss it. The iPHONE will work through the separate jack customized for iPOD/iPHONE
2. The unit has no remote control-handy while being chauffeur-driven. I think it is available as optional-but have not confirmed as I am not much interested in it. The steering mounted controls are more than sufficient for now.
3. Please remember to install the microphone at a convenient position(see the snap), say, near to the IRVM for the benefit of the front passenger too rather than on the right side of the driver.
4. As pmishra had asked, when you select the reverse gear there is a momentary interruption of the music.
5. I have not installed a subwoofer. The Honda people have warned me not to install it though non-experts. Can have serious problems.

This is for now. I will try to find out answers to any queries and will try to clarify the doubts. Hope I will succeed in your keeping your enthusiasm high.

Please see the following snaps.

The Caska Hu looks like this in place.

Attachment 567497

FM radio on Caska HU

Attachment 567498

The Main menu of Caska HU

Attachment 567499

The Caska DVD function

Attachment 567500

You can view the Speedometer on Caska

Attachment 567501

Dedicated iPod jack and USB jack

Attachment 567527

Caska receiving the iPhone through a dedicated jack

Attachment 567502

Blue tooth function of the Caska HU

Attachment 567503
Attachment 567504

The microphone

Attachment 567505

The Sat Nav on Caska

Attachment 567506
Attachment 567508

The reverse sensor on the rear bumper

Attachment 567509

The reverse sensor
Attachment 567510

The Caska reverse camera-night vision

Attachment 567511
Attachment 567512

The Caska reverse camera-day vision
Attachment 567528

I hope these are to the satisfaction of you all.Please revert with your comments,opinions,queries and criticism.

Love you all,charthom
Looks like great unit. Do we have Caska available in Bangalore svc also?
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:32   #114
BHPian

Quote:
@kirantp, is it possible for you to post close up pictures of the front hand rest. Specially the corner tips where the leather folds inside. Usually fitters goof up in those areas. I was wondering how Karlsson did the job.
@Dot: I have posted the pics of arm rest which you had asked for in a separate reply. Please do go thru and post your views.

Cheers,
KTP
kirantp is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:43   #115
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Dot: I have posted the pics of arm rest which you had asked for in a separate reply. Please do go thru and post your views.
They are very well done. The picture taken from the back side shows the folds of the leather neatly tucked inside the plate. Thanks for sharing.

Karlsson does a good job. Going to them is value for money since they are less expensive than Stanley, I believe.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:44   #116
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@kirantp,good interiors-nicely done.Still,I have a feeling that the original Honda leather seats are more elegant-pardon me for being frank.I somehow liked the all beige seat covers more.My individual view of course.Also your steering cover is not clear from this angle.Can you post a snap from another angle?

Do you have a gap to accommodate the rear arm rest hinge as seen on these snaps of my car's rear arem rest?.
Attachment 566960
Attachment 566973

How much is expenses for the covers?And for the steering cover?Did you wrap the door hand rests too in leather?

Nice to note that you too have Urban Titanium colour.Urban titanium is a mix of brown,grey with a tinge of silver added-as per a Filipino site.

Please check out a few external photos of my car.Not very clean due to the persistent rains.But this is the best I could manage.

I have a feeling,the Urban titanium looks cleaner even when dirty,like some browns and silvers.
@Charthom, here are the pics of the steering grip along with the pics of rear arm rest. Let me know your views on them.

Total cost came to 28K. (Included Seats, door hand rests, front arm rest, gear knob boot, and hand brake sleeve)

I purchased the Steering cover grip separately from a car accessory shop.

Saw the pics of your car and they look pretty good. You bet, UT is the color that truly gives its moneys worth.

Cheers,
KTP
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0645.jpg  

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0643.jpg  

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0642.jpg  

Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!-img_0644.jpg  

Old 27th June 2011, 17:48   #117
BHPian

Quote:
They are very well done. The picture taken from the back side shows the folds of the leather neatly tucked inside the plate. Thanks for sharing.

Karlsson does a good job. Going to them is value for money since they are less expensive than Stanley, I believe.
Yep your are correct. They give value for money and are thru professionals. They are also working on a new design for Vijay Mallya's Kingfisher Jets it seems.
Old 27th June 2011, 17:48   #118
BHPian

Quote:
@Charthom, here are the pics of the steering grip along with the pics of rear arm rest. Let me know your views on them.

Total cost came to 28K. (Included Seats, door hand rests, front arm rest, gear knob boot, and hand brake sleeve)

I purchased the Steering cover grip separately from a car accessory shop.

Saw the pics of your car and they look pretty good. You bet, UT is the color that truly gives its moneys worth.

Cheers,
KTP
Steering Cover really destroys the looks of beautiful Honda Steering. Even Karlson advised me not to go for steering cover for honda.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:51   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
That was expected, after all I paid 600 INR as labour charges.

I heard similar experiences from my friends who got the job done from outside. That's why I got seat covers from Honda and didn't bother about the premium they charge (as per many).
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuBooMan View Post
The ride and handling is rubbish. It wallows at speed and is stiff in the urban areas. Changed the puny tires but the improvement was only marginal. If only the suspension was tuned better, this thing would have made one hell of a drivers machine.

YOKOHAMA C-Drive 195/55 R15 tires.

3D Kagu mats (Pune dealer?)
@BuBooman,I suspect your 195/55 tyres might have spoiled the ride a bit.The ideal upgrade should have been 65 0r max 60.Wider tyres may spoil the handling a bit(heard this about SX4) and lower aspect ratio may spoil the ride.
Are there no 195/60(65) R15 available with Yokohama C-drive?

Pune address of 3D mats:Rahul Enterprises:09922488811/09371012211

Quote:
@Charthom, This is super cool man. I also wanted to go for this HU for my 'V' variant but had to shelve off due to the budget. I will plan to get it upgraded to Caska HU sometime next year for sure.
Awsome pics and information.
@kirantp, thanks mate.Ubercool hand rest,BTW.28000/- seems like a nice deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingkolors View Post
Charthom, please accept my heartiest wishes on your beautiful car. It surely is still a head turner. Drive safe.
And you just completely blew me away with your wonderful post on the Caska HU. Now I understand why you keep saying its versatile. :-) Indeed a great devise.
Hope you're recuperating now. Wish you many a wonderful miles.
@flyingkolors, Thank you very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Looks like great unit. Do we have Caska available in Bangalore svc also?
@shamanth,Caska in Karnataka-Automatrix-09886422220
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2011, 17:52   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Steering Cover really destroys the looks of beautiful Honda Steering. Even Karlson advised me not to go for steering cover for honda.
I agree with you. But I feel uncomfortable holding the steering without a grip as I have been used to it from the beginning. Hence, I went with a closest match after hunting for one for so many days.