Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 23rd March 2012, 21:00   #241
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Congratulations - Service charges looks pretty reasonable to me. And your observations point out to the parts that have been replaced as a part of your first service.

Regarding the steering wheel chrome insert, did you use any glue to stick it in place? Looks pretty neat I would say.
bala80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 11:58   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bala80 View Post
Congratulations - Service charges looks pretty reasonable to me. And your observations point out to the parts that have been replaced as a part of your first service.

Regarding the steering wheel chrome insert, did you use any glue to stick it in place? Looks pretty neat I would say.
The chrome insert came with a 3M based adhesive surface on the inside. Didn't have to use any glue! Pretty good, I'll say.

Oh, and here is the Invoice for the first service:

My blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI HL - 15000 KMs update-billfirstservice.jpg

Last edited by nileshch : 24th March 2012 at 12:00.
nileshch is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 12:51   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
On a different note, on account of Gudi Padwa (or Ugadi here in KA), got some bling bling for the steering wheel -- the missing chrome insert. This had been bugging me right from the start. I always looked at Ventos which had it and felt a tiny bit sad that I did not have it! So searched and search and finally found this on eBay being sold by an HK accessory shop. Snapped it up for 500 bucks.
nileshch, do you mind posting the link from where you ordered the chrome inserts? Even my car misses these on the steering wheel . With these the steering wheel surely looks more upmarket and attractive.
samarjitdhar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 13:46   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by samarjitdhar View Post
nileshch, do you mind posting the link from where you ordered the chrome inserts? Even my car misses these on the steering wheel . With these the steering wheel surely looks more upmarket and attractive.
Theres a guy in Kolkata selling these. I saw it on his facebook page just last week. He has an online shop on ebay. You can try that. I bought a keyring from him.

unitedcustomz.in | Facebook

hope nilesh doesnt mind me posting this info on his thread.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 16:11   #245
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now, the steering looks better
The chrome inserts looks pretty neat. But sorry to say, that steering wrap looks a bit awful
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 16:14   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The chrome insert came with a 3M based adhesive surface on the inside. Didn't have to use any glue! Pretty good, I'll say.

Nilesh, good to know to that your blue had its first service and got some bling on the steering, looks very fab.

Went through the bill of the 1st service, just wanted to know a few things, hope you don't mind elaborating them.

1. Fuel Filter cost Rs. 1257, has been charged in the bill whereas it is been replaced for free. Even my 1st service is due on 31 Mar'12 and SA told me that it would be replaced for free of cost.
2.What is Interval service with mobility guarantee for which they have charged Rs. 309?
3.What is GFF/Guided Functions for which again they have charged Rs. 348?
4. What is valcanization for which they have charged Rs. 166?

Are these new ways of extracting money from customers under the various name for which the customers remains unknown?
And on top of that they are charging Rs, 347 as Inspection service, what sort of inspection they did for they are charging such atrocious amount?

I'm going to give some headache to the SA's at KSM Motors during my 1st service if they did put up such amount of rupees which are not right.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 16:43   #247
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Theres a guy in Kolkata selling these. I saw it on his facebook page just last week. He has an online shop on ebay. You can try that. I bought a keyring from him.

unitedcustomz.in | Facebook

hope nilesh doesnt mind me posting this info on his thread.
Absolutely not, Dev. This guy looks interesting. Would be good if he starts sourcing other Polo GTI components, e.g. the headlights. I'd love to have them on my car!

Quote:
Yes, it does make the steering more attractive now. It has a feel good factor!

Here is a link. There are a couple of HK vendors. This is another one (not the one I got from, his listing has ended.)

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
The chrome inserts looks pretty neat. But sorry to say, that steering wrap looks a bit awful
Oh yes, disregard that steering cover. It is a stop gap arrangement. I badly needed a steering grip for my Mumbai drive so I got that one. It's the best I could find for a cheap price. I finally want to get a nice custom leather grip from Stanley or someone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
1. Fuel Filter cost Rs. 1257, has been charged in the bill whereas it is been replaced for free. Even my 1st service is due on 31 Mar'12 and SA told me that it would be replaced for free of cost.
2.What is Interval service with mobility guarantee for which they have charged Rs. 309?
3.What is GFF/Guided Functions for which again they have charged Rs. 348?
4. What is valcanization for which they have charged Rs. 166?

Are these new ways of extracting money from customers under the various name for which the customers remains unknown?
And on top of that they are charging Rs, 347 as Inspection service, what sort of inspection they did for they are charging such atrocious amount?
Yes, I mentioned earlier that I wanted these to be clarified. The guy who dropped my vehicle back home had no clue about them. Since he came late (9:30pm) I could not call back the workshop then to ask about the details.

I was not promised any free replacements. IMO, others also have been charged for the fuel filter so I did not insist. 'Vulcanization' refers to the tyre puncture repair they did. I do see that they charged a total of 200 bucks for it! About the others, I am going to grill them when they call back for the feedback.

Last edited by nileshch : 24th March 2012 at 16:48.
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th March 2012, 17:39   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Absolutely not, Dev. This guy looks interesting. Would be good if he starts sourcing other Polo GTI components, e.g. the headlights. I'd love to have them on my car!
You mean something like this?

SPYDER® - Black Projector Headlights with DRL - 2011 Volkswagen Golf Gti Spyder Projector Headlights

Will give the car that killer looks . I wonder if these will be a fit at all on the Polo/Vento.
Old 24th March 2012, 20:02   #249
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: My blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI HL - 15000 KMs update

@NileshCh - Thank you for the first service bill. I'd be interested to know what the "Mobility Guarentee" is. Also, any specific reason you went for wheel balancing? Only the alignment need to be checked frequently, but once the wheels are balanced, they stay balanced. It may have to be done again when fixing a puncture, but the cost of weights seem to be pretty high.

@el lobo 6061 - GFF stands for "Guided Functions" which are nothing but the VAS updates to the ECU and related functions.
Old 24th March 2012, 22:59   #250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nilesh another thing caught my eye. The invoice states Kms In as 15376 and Kms Out as 15381. Where did these workshop guys drive your blue for 4 kms? 4 Kms is too much. Its not that there workshop is at one place and parking lot at another place. Need to keep a close eye on these guys might result in some misuse.

Quote:
I wonder if these will be a fit at all on the Polo/Vento.
The head lights are drool worthy. They did look awesome on my Pearl Black Vento but they won't fit in it. They are mean't for Golf and have a curvy line across it and Vento has straight lines throughout.

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what the "Mobility Guarentee" is. Also, any specific reason you went for wheel balancing? Only the alignment need to be checked frequently, but once the wheels are balanced, they stay balanced. It may have to be done again when fixing a puncture, but the cost of weights seem to be pretty high.
I think Mobility Guarantee might be pick up and drop service. As Nilesh received his car at 9:30 pm, for which they might have charged for delivering it at your door step.

Wheel balancing is very expensive affair at VW workshop, those weights are quite expensive. Won't be getting it done during the 1st service as I have only covered 3900 Kms.
el lobo 6061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 10:59   #251
BHPian

Quote:
You mean something like this?

SPYDER® - Black Projector Headlights with DRL - 2011 Volkswagen Golf Gti Spyder Projector Headlights

Will give the car that killer looks . I wonder if these will be a fit at all on the Polo/Vento.
Quote:
The head lights are drool worthy. They did look awesome on my Pearl Black Vento but they won't fit in it. They are mean't for Golf and have a curvy line across it and Vento has straight lines throughout.
No, not these ones. But the headlights from the Polo GTI (below). They are definitely droolworthy!! I have tried searching for them on various VW dedicated sites and ebay too. Nothing so far. All I could find was a custom car shop in Malaysia who did it once for one of his clients!! Nothing more than that.

Name:  012011vwpologti630op.jpg
Views: 1864
Size:  72.7 KB

Quote:
I'd be interested to know what the "Mobility Guarentee" is. Also, any specific reason you went for wheel balancing? Only the alignment need to be checked frequently, but once the wheels are balanced, they stay balanced. It may have to be done again when fixing a puncture, but the cost of weights seem to be pretty high.

@el lobo 6061 - GFF stands for "Guided Functions" which are nothing but the VAS updates to the ECU and related functions.
Quote:
Nilesh another thing caught my eye. The invoice states Kms In as 15376 and Kms Out as 15381. Where did these workshop guys drive your blue for 4 kms? 4 Kms is too much. Its not that there workshop is at one place and parking lot at another place. Need to keep a close eye on these guys might result in some misuse.
I think Mobility Guarantee might be pick up and drop service. As Nilesh received his car at 9:30 pm, for which they might have charged for delivering it at your door step.

Wheel balancing is very expensive affair at VW workshop, those weights are quite expensive. Won't be getting it done during the 1st service as I have only covered 3900 Kms.
Frankly, I don't have an answer to these questions, @bala80 & @el lobo 6061. I was really busy with late night office work last week and did not dig deeper into these charges. However, I am going to grill the workshop guys this week and find out what all these line items mean!

Last edited by nileshch : 26th March 2012 at 11:01.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2012, 12:01   #252
BHPian

Quote:
Also, any specific reason you went for wheel balancing? Only the alignment need to be checked frequently, but once the wheels are balanced, they stay balanced. It may have to be done again when fixing a puncture, but the cost of weights seem to be pretty high.
Missed answering this question. I have had 5 punctures in the last two months, most with nice long nails embedded in the tyres. Probably someone is trying to play pranks with me! The tyres have been removed multiple times in this duration and so thought will get the alignment done. Well, forgot to tell them to not do the balancing and paid the price!
Old 26th March 2012, 21:31   #253
Senior - BHPian

You know what? There is no one playing pranks with you - its just the apollo acelere's, they are so prone to punctures, dont ask me why.

In the short span of time I had them on my car, I had almost 3 punctures with them. I read similar reviews from other users too, may be by design?

Also, on the steering chrome insert, did you just stick it on over the rubber one that your car had? Or you had to remove that rubber one to stick the chrome plated one? I'm eyeing this too, but didnt see any listings in ebay india. Did you buy it from a US seller and ship it here?

Quote:
Missed answering this question. I have had 5 punctures in the last two months, most with nice long nails embedded in the tyres. Probably someone is trying to play pranks with me! The tyres have been removed multiple times in this duration and so thought will get the alignment done. Well, forgot to tell them to not do the balancing and paid the price!
Old 26th March 2012, 23:22   #254
BHPian

Quote:
No, not these ones. But the headlights from the Polo GTI (below). They are definitely droolworthy!! I have tried searching for them on various VW dedicated sites and ebay too. Nothing so far. All I could find was a custom car shop in Malaysia who did it once for one of his clients!! Nothing more than that.
Is there any information on the model no. of the headlights? I believe the Polo/Golf headlights have some model no. which start with MK* where * is a number. Even knowing the same for the Vento can help in locating some place in the Internets where they can be sourced from reliably I am sure they would be available somewhere.
Old 26th March 2012, 23:58   #255
BHPian

Quote:
In the short span of time I had them on my car, I had almost 3 punctures with them. I read similar reviews from other users too, may be by design?
What were the causes for your punctures? Long nails will puncture any tubeless tyre, no? I do want to point out that none of the punctures I faced were on highways. All five of them happened in a radius of a couple of kms around my house, that too only in the last two months !!

Quote:
Also, on the steering chrome insert, did you just stick it on over the rubber one that your car had? Or you had to remove that rubber one to stick the chrome plated one? I'm eyeing this too, but didnt see any listings in ebay india. Did you buy it from a US seller and ship it here?
There is no rubber insert, that's just the base of the cutout for the insert. So all you have to do is stick the insert in the slot and press it down.

No, I got it from an HK vendor who was quite responsive in answering my queries. He even resent the package when it failed to reach me for the first time (I was not at home and the registered parcel was sent back to the post office, never to be found again).

Quote:
Is there any information on the model no. of the headlights? I believe the Polo/Golf headlights have some model no. which start with MK* where * is a number. Even knowing the same for the Vento can help in locating some place in the Internets where they can be sourced from reliably I am sure they would be available somewhere.
Just did a search which did not yield anything for the 2010 MK5 Polo GTI. Though, you can see a lot of options for the MK4 Polo GTI. Will try to find out the part number for the Vento/Polo headlights.