Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 28th June 2013, 16:55   #316
BHPian

Default Re: My blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI HL - 15000 KMs update

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvytla View Post
Not as low as the Vento as I have used a swift and an accent earlier and they were pretty decently located. But I am scared with this one :(
There is a cover to the compartment which protects pretty well from the stray stone or flying gravel. Haven't heard of a single incident of sump damage from Ventonians on TBHP so far.

I've had one incident when the cover came off when in my zeal, after having over-confidence in the ground clearance capabilities of the vento, went off road over some undulations. The cover came off but there was no physical damage inside.

You can rest assured that Vento can handle Indian roads very well, unless you want to follow an SUV into the woods!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 15:42   #317

The ground clearance of the Vento is excellent especially when compared with the likes of the Honda City. However Im concerned with one thing. On odd occasions that i clear a speed bump, (Chennai's speed breakers are smaller than the ones in Bangalore but oddly shaped on most roads) the rear suspension seems to hit the bump with a heart wrenching thud. I try to be careful especially when i exit the bump as this seems to happen when i accelerate a little after the rear wheels ascend the bump, but invariably 3 out of 10 times the rear ends up hitting the bump.
Seshadri Kannan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2013, 23:42   #318
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seshadri Kannan View Post
The ground clearance of the Vento is excellent especially when compared with the likes of the Honda City. However Im concerned with one thing. On odd occasions that i clear a speed bump, (Chennai's speed breakers are smaller than the ones in Bangalore but oddly shaped on most roads) the rear suspension seems to hit the bump with a heart wrenching thud. I try to be careful especially when i exit the bump as this seems to happen when i accelerate a little after the rear wheels ascend the bump, but invariably 3 out of 10 times the rear ends up hitting the bump.
Yes, the Vento thud is quite infamous in the Vento thread. However there is nothing worry about if you think this is causing some damage. THe only issue is the sound is heart wrenching

THe solution -- reduce pressure in the rear tires to match the recommended pressures (you can find this behind the fuel inlet flap). Or drive slowly over bumpers!
nileshch is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th January 2015, 02:24   #319
BHPian

Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
These are 6.5". Yes, used wooden spacers.
Opening up a 4 year old thread.
Nileshch, do you have any fotos of the spacers that were used. Got my speakers replaced about 2 weeks back. The Accessory guys just could not use any of the spacers they had, since they were obstructing the door pad. Finally I asked them to screw the speakers directly on to the door. The sound quality has increased greatly, but I have a feeling that some metallic vibration is also coming through when music is played on a higher volume. May be my mind playing tricks .
Few days back when I had gone to the VW ASC, I asked the accessory chap over there how they replace the speakers, and he said that no spacers were used, and the speakers were screwed directly on to the doors.
Any suggestions ?
CAPTAIN REX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2015, 23:31   #320
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAPTAIN REX View Post
Opening up a 4 year old thread.
Nileshch, do you have any fotos of the spacers that were used. Got my speakers replaced about 2 weeks back. The Accessory guys just could not use any of the spacers they had, since they were obstructing the door pad. Finally I asked them to screw the speakers directly on to the door. The sound quality has increased greatly, but I have a feeling that some metallic vibration is also coming through when music is played on a higher volume. May be my mind playing tricks .
Few days back when I had gone to the VW ASC, I asked the accessory chap over there how they replace the speakers, and he said that no spacers were used, and the speakers were screwed directly on to the doors.
Any suggestions ?
Sorry, unfortunately I did not take pictures of the wooden spacers when they were installed! You do need them (along with the sound damping sheets) to reduce the vibrations, more so on the doors.

The VW guy is right, the OEM speakers did not have any spacers, because they dont need them anyway. The OEM speakers are lower in quality and produce a horrible vibration at high volumes.

Cant ask you to call the shop from where I got the spacers fitted, since you are in Chennai. The suggestion I can give is to check with a dedicated car audio dealer there.
Old 8th October 2015, 12:04   #321
BHPian

Quote:
Aaah Nilesh! Finally found you.
Nice write-up. Time to bump up the thread I guess! How many KM done now?
aneezan is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2015, 10:39   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Aaah Nilesh! Finally found you.
Nice write-up. Time to bump up the thread I guess! How many KM done now?
Thanks Aneez. I guess yes. I am touching 60,000 kms now. Trying to get some inspiration to write about all the stuff done with and on the car though.

But briefly -- No major issues so far. I have done my 4th service in April and the car is going on superb. Done many trips in the last year or so: multiple times to Kerala, North Karnataka and Mumbai!
Old 14th October 2015, 23:54   #323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Aneez. I guess yes. I am touching 60,000 kms now. Trying to get some inspiration to write about all the stuff done with and on the car though.

But briefly -- No major issues so far. I have done my 4th service in April and the car is going on superb. Done many trips in the last year or so: multiple times to Kerala, North Karnataka and Mumbai!
Ha! So much for keeping notes - we seem to be at similar levels. Although not so much similar to @evilshantanu, @noopster or any of the other Vento oldies
- they clearly are over (or close to) the 100k km mark

Btw mine's at 62k kms, and the 5th servicing done.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th January 2016, 16:26   #324
BHPian

Hey Nilesh,

Quick query: How are your CPC's faring? And would you still recommend them over the other brands? (am approaching 40k - stock apollos could give the american bald eagle an inferiority complex so wanted to see which shoes to go for next)
joey645 is offline   Reply With Quote