Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2011, 16:53   #91
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Sorry guys, the meet could not happen today. My wife had just returned from Mumbai and fell ill. I had to stay back at home. evilshantanu called up to say he could not come as his wife was ill too!

However, we should meet again, next Saturday. What say? We need to have a Vento meet!!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 07:38   #92
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Of course,Nilesh.Sorry for forgetting. The snap you have posted does not do justice to the 3D.Can you post more,front/ back. Many people are interested in knowing about black 3D mats. How dirty do they get? How do you clean them?
Charthom, here are some pictures of soiled 3D mats. It really depends on you on how dirty you can make them!!

Cleaning is easy. Pull out the mat making sure the dirt does not spill out from the mat. Clean will a simple soapy water solution and dry them. They don't take much time to dry either. A simple wipe with a cloth and 1-2 minutes to dry off.

I really love these mats over any others. They have a non-slippery bottom, so they don't shift places. Due to the walls, the dirt remains on the mat and does not spill on the sides or below the mat. As for longevity, will have to wait and watch.

Name:  20110731IMG_9732.jpg
Views: 5123
Size:  83.0 KB

Name:  20110731IMG_9736.jpg
Views: 5041
Size:  101.2 KB

Name:  20110731IMG_9733.jpg
Views: 4959
Size:  29.7 KB
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 07:49   #93
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,191 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Black mats is a good idea. I have beige ones and they look really dirty in the rainy season :(

I wonder why VW thinks beige carpeting is a good idea. The guy who designed it this way should lose his job!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st August 2011, 09:28   #94
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Charthom, here are some pictures of soiled 3D mats. It really depends on you on how dirty you can make them!!
Thanks Nilesh,for presenting them the way they are. I am not so good at making them very dirty.So far wiped only once. Mine are beige coloured.

Quote:
Cleaning is easy. Pull out the mat making sure the dirt does not spill out from the mat. Clean will a simple soapy water solution and dry them. They don't take much time to dry either. A simple wipe with a cloth and 1-2 minutes to dry off.
Agree with you-very easy to maintain. I have used LOC- an organic all purpose cleaner.Cleans well.

Quote:
I really love these mats over any others. They have a non-slippery bottom, so they don't shift places. Due to the walls, the dirt remains on the mat and does not spill on the sides or below the mat. As for longevity, will have to wait and watch.
Correct-they are a joy to own and use. Another desirable object with brag potential!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Black mats is a good idea. I have beige ones and they look really dirty in the rainy season :(
Even dot likes black ones. But they might look dirtier than the beige ones. Beige brightens up the cabin-black does not.Beige with good maintenance is my liking. BTW,which soap are you using? Dettol liquid soap has been in the suggestion.My soap already mentioned above.

Quote:
I wonder why VW thinks beige carpeting is a good idea. The guy who designed it this way should lose his job!
Beg you to spare my life-I like beige carpets too. The brighten,cheer up and add more space to the cabin,IMHO. So I beg and plead for the job security of the VW designer-even though they have ill-treated me.See, I don't hold resentments against anyone

Just check out this snap of City interior with beige mat.Not a very clear one I am afraid.

My blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI HL - 15000 KMs update-dsc00405.jpg

I like my cabin like this-if dirty,bring it back approximately to this state- I know it is difficult at times.Overcoming that difficulty is the romance in maintaining Fraulein too-you will agree I hope!! LOL

Last edited by charthom : 1st August 2011 at 09:31.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 03:32   #95
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Black mats is a good idea. I have beige ones and they look really dirty in the rainy season :(

I wonder why VW thinks beige carpeting is a good idea. The guy who designed it this way should lose his job!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Beg you to spare my life-I like beige carpets too. The brighten,cheer up and add more space to the cabin,IMHO. So I beg and plead for the job security of the VW designer-even though they have ill-treated me.See, I don't hold resentments against anyone
Charthom, if not for the dirt, I would have loved to get the beige mats. But like Noopster, I would have found it difficult to keep them clean in the monsoon. So I chose the easier option

With plans to have my car filled with people for long drives, I prefer the black mats over the beige. Don't want to have nightmares of soiled carpets every time I trip out!
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 09:16   #96
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,851 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Charthom, if not for the dirt, I would have loved to get the beige mats. But like Noopster, I would have found it difficult to keep them clean in the monsoon. So I chose the easier option

With plans to have my car filled with people for long drives, I prefer the black mats over the beige. Don't want to have nightmares of soiled carpets every time I trip out!
Does the dirt get better camouflaged in the beige carpet?

Charthom: Time to do a comparo – between soiled beige and black 3D Kagu mats
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:36   #97
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,191 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Does the dirt get better camouflaged in the beige carpet?
No way! Beige is a horrible choice of colour for carpeting and matting. Am I repeating myself? 'Cuz it is!

I noticed something funny in my Vento- the areas exposed to the sun are dark (that coco shade) while those which are kickable height are all beige . Even a light touch of your foot is enough to ruin the beige. You can clean the plastic portion with Colin spray and get the carpets vacuumed but the fabric parts on the doors and roof are the toughies.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 12:43   #98
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,851 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
No way! Beige is a horrible choice of colour for carpeting and matting. Am I repeating myself? 'Cuz it is!

I noticed something funny in my Vento- the areas exposed to the sun are dark (that coco shade) while those which are kickable height are all beige . Even a light touch of your foot is enough to ruin the beige. You can clean the plastic portion with Colin spray and get the carpets vacuumed but the fabric parts on the doors and roof are the toughies.
That should be really a hard task – especially in monsoons.

Noop: Any idea if there is a Vento Petrol MT highline thread running?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:20   #99
Team-BHP Support
 
noopster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 8,665
Thanked: 9,191 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

@vb-san: Actually there are TWO.

I guess you guys already think I am Ventobsessed, but here is a useful ready reckoner :

Name:  vento reviews.png
Views: 4862
Size:  13.3 KB
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:20   #100
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
You can clean the plastic portion with Colin spray and get the carpets vacuumed but the fabric parts on the doors and roof are the toughies.
Patience and hardwork is the key for keeping the beige car clean. You have to clean them atleast once a week, specially the seats and fabric. Polish them once every 6 months with 3M service or someone who can do a good job with interiors. Just too much effort.

Use those foam based solvents that work really well and dont create any marks.

I find it difficult to maintain my black interior, let alone beige.


One reason why i didnt pick a black or WHite Jetta was due to beige interiors. It just requires so much effort to keep them clean.

All said and done, beige makes the car more "posh" looking.
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:51   #101
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Charthom: Time to do a comparo – between soiled beige and black 3D Kagu mats
Yeah, Charthom, clean mats are passé. We need to see soiled beige mats!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
but the fabric parts on the doors and roof are the toughies.
Facing the same problem with the fabric on the doors. And when I open the door in heavy rain, the fabric gets all wet. Then it is difficult to dry it completely. I am thinking of getting it replaced with art leather when I get the seat covers done, which should be soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@vb-san: Actually there are TWO.

I guess you guys already think I am Ventobsessed, but here is a useful ready reckoner :
Awesome. Noopster, that's true Ventobsession! Even though I have been on the lookout for new Vento threads, I have not come across a couple of these names!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Patience and hardwork is the key for keeping the beige car clean. You have to clean them atleast once a week, specially the seats and fabric. Polish them once every 6 months with 3M service or someone who can do a good job with interiors. Just too much effort.
Yes, right. Just too much of effort. I would start worrying more about the cleaning than enjoying the car itself! Going to get some art leather seat covers soon to reduce my troubles of maintaining the beige fabric.

Last edited by nileshch : 2nd August 2011 at 14:52. Reason: spelling errors
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 17:16   #102
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,851 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@vb-san: Actually there are TWO.

I guess you guys already think I am Ventobsessed, but here is a useful ready reckoner :
Awesome Noops. Thats so helpful. Now I need to find some time to go through those - especially the petrol ones. Thanks again

Last edited by vb-san : 2nd August 2011 at 17:16. Reason: Attachment removed from the quote
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:15   #103
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Does the dirt get better camouflaged in the beige carpet?
Charthom: Time to do a comparo – between soiled beige and black 3D Kagu mats
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Yeah, Charthom, clean mats are passé. We need to see soiled beige mats!
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Black mats is a good idea. I have beige ones and they look really dirty in the rainy season :(
I wonder why VW thinks beige carpeting is a good idea. The guy who designed it this way should lose his job!
Dear vb-san, nileshch and noopster- I have made a small comparison of beige and black mats-ans posted the snaps of soiled beige mats on my thread on ANHC,page no.33.

Nieshch,pardon for not posting them here-I was confused and decided to post on the other thread.

can you guys please do the favour of checking them out on my thread? I am still not an expert enough in providing links etc- sorry,will improve and do next time

Please express your views on them-let us have a discussion on colour preferences

Last edited by charthom : 3rd August 2011 at 16:17.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:20   #104
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,686
Thanked: 3,851 Times
Default Re: Bringing home the blue teutonic beauty - VW Vento TDI Highline

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Dear vb-san, nileshch and noopster- I have made a small comparison of beige and black mats-ans posted the snaps of soiled beige mats on my thread on ANHC,page no.33.

Nieshch,pardon for not posting them here-I was confused and decided to post on the other thread.

can you guys please do the favour of checking them out on my thread? I am still not an expert enough in providing links etc- sorry,will improve and do next time

Please express your views on them-let us have a discussion on colour preferences
Thanks Charthom. Just replied on the comparison in your thread. My vote goes for the beige 3D

And here is the link to the comparo:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2454818 (Does anyone buy a Honda City anymore?! Oops! I did-and fell in love with it!!)

Last edited by vb-san : 3rd August 2011 at 16:21. Reason: comment added
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2011, 00:07   #105
BHPian
 
nileshch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: BLR / BOM
Posts: 743
Thanked: 370 Times
Default 3500 kms completed!

Just a quick update. Completed 3500 kms with the Blue!! Every km of this has been awesome, I'd say.
  • The cold start engine clatter has come down to a smoother sound now.
  • Don't feel the drivetrain prominently on the clutch now.
  • After about a minute of running, the engine noise drops down considerably. In fact, in light traffic, almost cannot hear it.
  • Oil levels are normal.
  • Hope, inspite of the highway run, the run-in period was good. I had maintained the discipline for the first 1500 km.
  • Still getting used to the rubberband effect in the lower gears. The turbo kicks in at 1500rpm, a critical number in slow moving traffic. For the same reason, I need to downshift to first gear when crossing speed breakers. I'd have preferred to continue in the second gear.
  • The mid-range is the smoothest and the most enjoyable. Love the free-revving 3rd gear.
  • Learning to not ride on the clutch (I had this bad habit from the old car, it was needed because of the pathetic pickup). This has helped increase the overall FE figures. If you ride on the clutch, it gives you a warning with a slightly higher noise from the drivetrain. Feels a little unrefined. But not unacceptable for a diesel engine.
  • The worst FE figure I have got in bumper-to-bumper traffic is around 8kmpl in a 10km run. The best has been 20.2kmpl for a 994km run. The maximum has been 22.1kmpl for a 30km run.
  • On my way from Mumbai to Bangalore, touched 160kmph for half a minute on an empty stretch in KA. It was a heady rush. Never done this fast on Indian roads before! The Blue was solid, not a hint of nervousness!
  • I've driven a hatchback all my life. So still getting used to the sedan way. Cannot really weave in and out of traffic like before!
  • This is one tough baby. Today evening, a biker rear-ended in standstill traffic! The guy had put the bike in gear and suddenly let the clutch loose. I felt the jerk in the car but not even a visible scratch on the bumper. The 6-layer paint does hold up well. Now wondering how hard the cleaner in Mumbai must have tugged at the wiper to cause the big scratch on the bonnet edge!
  • On this joyous occasion (of the milestone), tomorrow will go on a round of art leather seat cover scouting. Suggestions for shops in and around Indiranagar Bangalore are welcome.

Last edited by nileshch : 6th August 2011 at 00:14.
nileshch is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Blue beauty! Carib. Blue Alto LXi Gansan Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 118 5th September 2017 21:39
Achtung! My Blue Blooded Berliner, the VW Vento! 5000 kms update joey645 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 51 27th May 2014 17:40
Exchanged Swift with Grande Punto EDIT: 15000 kms update .anshuman Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 321 7th July 2010 18:10


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:09.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks