Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th June 2011, 02:38   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol) My dark grey beauty - One Month Update

Finally, Team BHP moderators have approved my membership, and here I am writing an initial ownership review of my brand new i20 Sportz. First of all, I would like to thank Wildon and all others who have written about their i20 experience on Team BHP. The reviews have been most informative, and also greatly increased the excitement of getting the new i20. Hopefully, this brief review of mine will help other prospective i20 buyers in the future as well.

Part 1: The decision

Now let me start of by telling a bit about myself (without getting into boring technicalities)and why I decided to go ahead with this particular car.
About myself: I have stayed in Delhi all my life, and have just completed my engineering and landed up a job in Gurgaon, which will start in another couple of months. I got my mom's old Santro in 2007 which I drove for a couple of years, and then my father's old Opel Corsa which I sold off last month (selling an old Opel can be an extremely exhausting experience ). I drive in the city mostly, and have hardly driven inter-city. Also, I am a gadget-freak (relevant, read on).

Deciding the right car: I always knew that I have to buy a new car mid 2011, so I had mentally started thinking about which car to buy (or which cars NOT to buy) from the beginning of the year itself. Since I had been driving an Opel Corsa for about two years, I was pretty clear that I did not want to revert back to a small hatchback. So, cars like Ritz, i10, A-star, Wagon R, etc. etc. were immediately ruled out. The only cars I initially had seriously considered were Beat, Micra and Swift. At that point of time, i20 was an elusive car which I thought was way out of my budget. But then a little persuasion and my dad fixed a budget of 5.5 lac. Voila! Suddenly, two new cars entered the competition, Volkswagen Polo and Hyundai i20. Now since my dad has an SX4 and Maruti cars are all same from the inside, Swift was ruled out (later on I learnt that a new model is coming out end of 2011, so good decision!). Nissan's presence in India is still not firmly established, plus Micra is shaped a bit weirdly, so that option was also ruled out. Now, only three choices remained - Chevrolet Beat, VW Polo and i20. I loved Beat's interiors (the green lighting is very likeable, and the speed-o-meter is different and odd but pleasing). But, my girlfriend HATED the way it looked from the extrerior (well, she's got a point). So, no more Beat. Then came the biggest dilemma of it all:
VW Polo v/s Hyundai i20
This was a very tough one. I read a lot of reviews, blogs and all stuff one could find on the internet. On one side was Polo's superb exteriors, highway ride quality and Volkswagen brand, and on the other side was i20's amazing interiors and infinite features. Then I assessed my usage, asked myself one question - What will I want in my car when I'm stuck in Gurgaon's traffic? I realized that I cant stare at my car's exteriors, and I don't drive between cities. When I'm stuck in traffic, or when I'm driving after a hectic workday, I want my car to make me feel good. And i20's uber cool interiors and long list of features do exactly the job! And then, finally, the decision was made - i20 it is! My dad tried to convince me to buy i20 Magna, but I felt the i20 Sportz packed in all the right features for an additional 45k (Driver's airbag, Steering mounted audio controls, electrically foldable ORVMs with turn indicators, keyless entry with a very sleek foldable key, 60:40 rear sit split, chrome additions on the steering wheel and gear, and very recently - car bluetooth!). So finally, I booked my dark grey i20 1.2L petrol Sportz at the Hyundai Motor Plaza (Mathura Road, New Delhi), and was promised the delivery in 10 days (compared to over 3 weeks in every other showroom in Delhi). After immense persuasions, I got a 5000 Rs. discount and a gear lock (by default, there were no discounts or accessories available for free for the i20 - and the dealers were very very firm regarding the same). I got my car exactly after 10 days, and my long wait was over.

Next up, Part 2: My first week review
Delhiwarrior is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 03:25   #2
BHPian

Default re: Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol) My dark grey beauty - One Month Update

Part 2: My first week review

Fact: The first time I ever drove an i20 was the day I got MY OWN i20. Yes, no test drives.
Result: No regrets.

I have completed about 250 km with my i20 sportz in 7 days. It has been a very very good experience indeed, with some minor flaws (everything will be mentioned in this review, and I will not be biased at all).

My first drive from the showroom to home (about 7 km) was very smooth. I instantly got the hang of the car, played around with the features, made a couple of cars with the car bluetooth and just enjoyed the ride. The only issue I faced was the clutch travel time (which has been reported by other users as well, and is a design flaw I assume). The showroom had filled up 10 liters of petrol, and I added about 10 liters more (I am still a student, so cannot really afford a full tank ). I took my family out for dinner that night, and the interior lights came on, and boy did it look beautiful! (Pictures below).

Now there are a couple of points which I would like to state before I move on further:

1. Steering rattle: This issue has been reported by almost every i20 user on this website. Since my odo only reads 250 km and I have driven only on smooth Delhi roads, I have not experienced any kind of rattling noise whatsoever. Hopefully, it stays this way.

2. Air conditioning: I am driving in the Delhi heat (it was 41 or 42 degrees today in the afternoon), and I have NOT experienced any issues with the air conditioning (fingers crossed). Even the rear passengers love the AC, and this is when I operate it at 22 degrees with about medium blower speed. Past i20 owners have experienced problems with AC, there even was a report in the economic times, but I believe hyundai has either resolved the problem, or I have simply been lucky. I feel cold when the AC is at 22 degrees, and I tweak it up to about 24 degrees and yet it is sufficiently cool for me.

3. Fuel Efficiency: Although I haven't measured it the way others have on this forum, I am getting about 11.5-12 km/liter (only city driving, 100% AC). I am satisfied with this, since my last car (Opel Corsa) was eating my wallet at 8km/liter with AC. I expect the mileage to go up in the next few weeks, and hopefully it'll give me about 12.5 after the first service. Again, please remember that this is city driving with full AC

4. Gear Shift: Very smooth, but not butter smooth like an SX4 or i10.

5. Audio quality: The audio quality is also very good. Songs played from the USB are definitely very crisp and a delight to listen to, but I do feel that the FM reception is not of the same quality as my old car. Note that it is not bad at all, but just a notch below my last car. I feel the same about my dad's SX4 and my mother's Santro, so probably the Corsa had a damn good antenna!

6. Bluetooth: A welcome addition to the Sportz and Asta model. The call quality is great (both sides), and the display even shows the caller name and number, and call waiting also if applicable. Well done Hyundai!

7. Glove box cooling: Not as effective as advertized by Hyundai. Your ice cream will definitely melt, and your water bottle will not chill but wont get warm either. So this feature is nothing to fuss about.

8. Rear passenger space: LOTS of space

9. Boot Space: Again, LOTS of space

10. There are lots of tiny spaces to keep your stuff (cups, bottles, tiny objects, etc.)

11. The horn is very mild, but still audible outside in heavy traffic, and helps maintaining the quiet inside the car. So I like the mild horn.

12. Headlight intensity: I do not feel the intensity is low, and feel quite comfortable driving on a low-beam. Never felt the need to switch to high-beam.

Finally, I would like to compile a list of all the things which I really like, and the things which did not work for me.

The things I liked (and super-liked):

1. Bluetooth - Very convenient, connects automatically with my blackberry, and I can even play my phone's music on the car using this bluetooth connectivity. The buttons on the steering look really cool too!
2. Uber cool interiors - Wow! this car looks amazing at night. Feels very luxurious.
3. Gear shift indicator - Tells when to shift the gear for maximum fuel efficiency. Useful and cool.
4. Electrical ORVMs - Again, very convenient, adding a touch of luxury
5. Auto AC - No hassle, just set your temperature and the i20 will do the rest.
6. Multiinfo display - Time, Date, Temperature, Trip A, Trip B, Driving Time, Track name, Folder name, Track time, Track number, Incoming call with number and name. So much packed in one display unit.
7. USB + Aux cable connectivity
8. Steering mounted audio controls
9. Drive quality - Smooth as silk

The things I DID NOT like:

1. Clutch travel time
2. ORVMs: Both unfold/fold together, and cant be closed manually. So either use both, or use none.
3. All the buttons are lit, except the ORVM adjustment buttons. Cannot imagine why!
4. There is a slight lack of power when you move down to the 2nd gear, so its difficult to overtake on the 2nd gear.
5. The inside rear view mirror is very stiff.
6. There is no 6th point which I can think of

Next up, Part 3: Pictures!
Delhiwarrior is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 03:37   #3
BHPian

Here are some of the pictures of my new i20. Please don't mind the low quality of the phone camera.

Part 4: More pictures!
Attached Thumbnails
Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011061700527.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011061700528.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011061700529.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400532.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400533.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400534.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400535.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400536.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400539.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400540.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400542.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400544.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400545.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400537.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400541.jpg  

Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol)  My dark grey beauty - One Month Update-img2011062400543.jpg  

Last edited by .anshuman : 24th June 2011 at 15:18. Reason: Posts merged to keep the pictures on top of this thread. Thanks
Delhiwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 13:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

Default re: Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol) My dark grey beauty - One Month Update

Note from Support: Ownership thread moved here from Assembly line section. Thanks for sharing
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 13:28   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delhiwarrior View Post
Part 2: My first week review

The things I liked (and super-liked):

4. Electrical ORVMs - Again, very convenient, adding a touch of luxury
5. Auto AC - No hassle, just set your temperature and the i20 will do the rest.

The things I DID NOT like:

2. ORVMs: Both unfold/fold together, and cant be closed manually. So either use both, or use none.
3. All the buttons are lit, except the ORVM adjustment buttons. Cannot imagine why!
[/b]
Wecome onboard Delhiwarrior. Nice buy mate

Your likes are our likes too!!.My ANHC sorely lacks ACC-sigh!!

Your dislikes-item no.2 is of course irritating.Regarding item no.3,are you sure it is not a defect?Suggest check up.

Congrats on your new possession.Enjoy!!

Cheers,charthom.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 13:55   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Wecome onboard Delhiwarrior. Nice buy mate

Your likes are our likes too!!.My ANHC sorely lacks ACC-sigh!!

Your dislikes-item no.2 is of course irritating.Regarding item no.3,are you sure it is not a defect?Suggest check up.

Congrats on your new possession.Enjoy!!

Cheers,charthom.
Thank you Charthom!

Dislike no. 3: No, I saw another i20 owner also report the same, so I asked the dealer during car inspection. Since these buttons are not there in the default Magna, probably thats why they are not lit.
Old 24th June 2011, 15:23   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Now, only three choices remained - Chevrolet Beat, VW Polo and i20. I loved Beat's interiors (the green lighting is very likeable, and the speed-o-meter is different and odd but pleasing). But, my girlfriend HATED the way it looked from the exterior (well, she's got a point). So, no more Beat. Then came the biggest dilemma of it all:
VW Polo v/s Hyundai i20
This was a very tough one. I read a lot of reviews, blogs and all stuff one could find on the internet. On one side was Polo's superb exteriors, highway ride quality and Volkswagen brand, and on the other side was i20's amazing interiors and infinite features.
I am amazed by the similarities we have brother. This is exactly what happened with me. I ended up buying a white ASTA. And you can nake out from the grin how happy I am.

Quote:
The only issue I faced was the clutch travel time (which has been reported by other users as well, and is a design flaw I assume).
You will get used to it. I have no issues with the clutch. Its very nice actually as compared to other cars I have driven.
Regarding the ORVM it was just yesterday that I saved my left ORVM when a tow truck almost scraped the poor thing. Just pressed the button and it closed in time to gave me another scratch free day.
The ORVM buttons are not lit. It is no defect
Here is my review on my i-catcher

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-i20-asta.html

Last edited by Pancham : 24th June 2011 at 15:26.
Pancham is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 16:07   #8
Senior - BHPian

That was a neat, nice and completely unbiased review Delhiwarrior. Wishing you many many happy miles in the Uber Cool i20. Unlike most others in this forum, there are many friends of mine (3 of them own i20 and 2 of them an i10) whose cars don't have this rattle problem. So, stop worrying on that and enjoy the car to the fullest. Also, the ORVM buttons are not backlit in i20, its not a manufacturing defect.

As you have said, the i20 really looks and feels luxurious in the inside, more so at night. Especially, the grey color in the i20 accentuates its luxurious feel. Great choice there bro!!
arvi86 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 17:24   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancham View Post
I am amazed by the similarities we have brother. This is exactly what happened with me. I ended up buying a white ASTA. And you can nake out from the grin how happy I am.

You will get used to it. I have no issues with the clutch. Its very nice actually as compared to other cars I have driven.
Regarding the ORVM it was just yesterday that I saved my left ORVM when a tow truck almost scraped the poor thing. Just pressed the button and it closed in time to gave me another scratch free day.
The ORVM buttons are not lit. It is no defect
Here is my review on my i-catcher

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-i20-asta.html
Thank you Pancham. I hope your Asta is running well! Unfortunately, Asta was out of my budget, otherwise I would have gone for the complete i20 Asta experience! I had read your review and the entire thread when I was waiting for my new i20 to arrive. It was a great read!

I am getting used to the clutch. And yes, the auto-folding feature is very useful to get out of tight spots!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
That was a neat, nice and completely unbiased review Delhiwarrior. Wishing you many many happy miles in the Uber Cool i20. Unlike most others in this forum, there are many friends of mine (3 of them own i20 and 2 of them an i10) whose cars don't have this rattle problem. So, stop worrying on that and enjoy the car to the fullest. Also, the ORVM buttons are not backlit in i20, its not a manufacturing defect.

As you have said, the i20 really looks and feels luxurious in the inside, more so at night. Especially, the grey color in the i20 accentuates its luxurious feel. Great choice there bro!!
Thanks for praising my review arvi86! Yes, I was confused between the berry red and the dark grey. Eventually, felt that berry red is more of a family car color, while grey more suited for someone my age.
Old 24th June 2011, 17:31   #10
Senior - BHPian

Smile re: Hyundai i20 Sportz (1.2 Petrol) My dark grey beauty - One Month Update

@Delhiwarrior,

Congratulations on the I20, the car is truly a great buy. The colour Sea grey seems now being offered by every car manufacturers in India and looks simply great on the I20.

Wish you many happy mile crunching and drive safely. Can you post some pics of the interiors too? During my TD of the vehicle I had found the gear shift very slick and smooth, wonder why did you find it stiff?
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 17:45   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Delhiwarrior,

Congratulations on the I20, the car is truly a great buy. The colour Sea grey seems now being offered by every car manufacturers in India and looks simply great on the I20.

Wish you many happy mile crunching and drive safely. Can you post some pics of the interiors too? During my TD of the vehicle I had found the gear shift very slick and smooth, wonder why did you find it stiff?
Thanks Ghodlur! Yes, the color looks great!

I will post more pics soon, but since I have posted some pics of the interiors, is there anything specific which you want me to click and put up?

I don't find the gear shift stiff at all. As I've mentioned, its very smooth. But I drive my dad's SX4 quite a lot, and that has a no-feel gear shift. I can't describe it properly, but its way smoother than the i20. Otherwise, the i20 gear shift is great, much better than my previous car
Delhiwarrior is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 21:12   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Hyundai i20. Hope the car will serve you well for many years to come.

I must say the interior pictures are very nice.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th June 2011, 21:25   #13
BHPian

Congratulations!!!.How about the spare wheel?Is it alloy or steel?
Me-hul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2011, 00:37   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Congratulations on your Hyundai i20. Hope the car will serve you well for many years to come.

I must say the interior pictures are very nice.

Wishing you happy and safe driving.
Thanks a lot bluevolt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
Congratulations!!!.How about the spare wheel?Is it alloy or steel?
Thanks Me-hul! The spare wheel isn't alloy. I was prepared for the same because I read about this beforehand on team bhp!
Old 26th June 2011, 01:36   #15
BHPian

@Everyone: There is some issue with the bluetooth connectivity which I'm facing. Many times, it connects with my phone by default (automatically, as soon as I turn on my phone bluetooth). But sometimes, I have to go to setup and pair it again, which is quite irritating. Any idea why this is happening?