Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 29th June 2011, 14:52   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review

Yup understand that speedo readings have nothing to do with contact patch. Maybe should have said "FE" instead of "Mileage" in my earlier post
jatinganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 14:59   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinganapathy View Post
Yes the FE is as per the MFD. Do I really need to get it recalibrated? Stock rim is 15" with 195/65/15 tyres. I upsized to 17" with 225/45/17 tires.

Overall dia of the stock 15" with tyre is 634.5 mm while that of the 17" with tyre is 634.3 mm. A difference of 0.2 mm or 200 microns!
Yes, this is a good upsize. 0.2 mm difference is nothing. I overlooked the 45 profile part.

And yes, the FE is largely dependent on how one drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Nope. You don't need to recalibrate anything. Your tyre upsize is spot on! Speedo readings are based on the overall outer diameter of the wheel and has got nothing to do with the contact patch. Generally, while upsizing the thumb rule is to keep the difference in the diameter after upsizing below 2% of the original wheel diameter.

Regarding the 2 % rule - it all depends on the individual.
I, for one, do not like ANY error on my MFD.
But if one does not care about the MFD and speedo readings, the 2% figure is immaterial. Any upsize will work as long as wheel arch clearance and suspension performance/travel is not affected too much (suspension life may be affected, of course).

Last edited by anandpadhye : 29th June 2011 at 15:02.
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 15:27   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post

Regarding the 2 % rule - it all depends on the individual.
I, for one, do not like ANY error on my MFD.
But if one does not care about the MFD and speedo readings, the 2% figure is immaterial. Any upsize will work as long as wheel arch clearance and suspension performance/travel is not affected too much (suspension life may be affected, of course).
I don't think anybody would like errors in their MFDs

The 2 % thumbrule is there for precisely that reason. Since tyre surfaces wear off during their life time, their outer diameter, or to be more precise, the circumference is not constant and undergoes change constantly over the lifetime of the tyre. So your MFD goes out of calibration so to speak everytime your tyre sheds one layer of rubber. But over the life of the tyre this is within acceptable levels of say within 2%.

Changing the tyre diameter more than 2%, not only affects the speedo readings but in turn also affects the gearing ratios of the car, since the manufacturer has set these ratios based on the speed the car will be running at, when the axle is spinning at a particular rpm.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 16:05   #19
BHPian

There we go again another one. Congratulations, Team-bhp certainly seems to be in Skoda mode. Brown leather looks neat and Karlssons definitely does a good job. How much did you shell out for the chrome tips and from where ?

Last edited by luky_13 : 29th June 2011 at 16:07.
luky_13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 21:25   #20
BHPian

OE Chrome tips through TAFE. ~ 3K. The Skoda install manual very clearly states that a part of both the pipes have to be cut off to fit the tips correctly. TAFE refused to cut anything off quoting 'warranty' issues and fitted it straight on. End result is that when getting onto any steep ramp / exiting a steep basement, the tips could scrape the bottom.
Just goes to show that the dealers hide behind the 'warranty' bogey anytime they aren't sure about something.
Old 29th June 2011, 22:15   #21
BHPian

A few more assorted pics, some not so great quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review-dsc01141.jpeg  

Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review-img2011062900071.jpg  

Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review-img2011062900070.jpg  

Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review-p1010168.jpg  

Skoda Laura TSi Ambiente - April '11 - Ownership Review-p1010161.jpg  

jatinganapathy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2011, 23:31   #22
Team-BHP Support

Congrats jg! The Laura is an awesome car. Do enjoy that beast of a TSI engine (160 BHP right?) Make sure you fill in petrol from Shell or some trustworthy pump since I have heard TSI engines are sensitive to fuel quality.

I fell in love with that "Grouse" shade from Karlsson. And the alloys look awesome too!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 07:32   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A few more assorted pics, some not so great quality.
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. The seat colour goes very well with the overall interiors and dashboard. Good choice

Are these seat covers, or they take out the seats and stitch the leather directly on the seat cushions?
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 09:23   #24
BHPian

I wasn't aware that the Audi A4 TFSi and Laura TSi share the same engines, the Audi comes with an automatic though, so basically you get the same engine at half the price

There might be some additional gadgets, gizmos and better upholstery but again if the block is the same, then the TSi is sheer VFM.

Fantastic buy I must say !!
Torquedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 11:49   #25
BHPian

WoW!! Congrats mate! Stunning engine, stunning interiors, stunning wheels! The leather seats have done wonders to the overall appeal of the car interior!
Hope you made sure that you dont face any warranty issues by upsizing to 17" rims.
Enjoy the those long drives!
vinj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2011, 13:38   #26
BHPian

Jatin, Heartiest congratulations in getting this beauty. I recall a situation 12-18 months back, when there were hardly any post on the TSI. Today, the scenario has changed. Its raining Laura TSI's here.

Delighted to see in one of the post that the buyer has a daily run on 90kms and still got attracted to the TSI. Any petrolhead enthusiast, who takes decisons with a heart, will by the TSI, even if the distance is all the way upto the moon.

Safe driving!
cedricsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st July 2011, 08:33   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing. The seat colour goes very well with the overall interiors and dashboard. Good choice

Are these seat covers, or they take out the seats and stitch the leather directly on the seat cushions?
The entire seat assemblies are taken out of the car, original fabric covers removed from the seats & the new leather stitched on as per the original OE stitch + design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Congrats jg! The Laura is an awesome car. Do enjoy that beast of a TSI engine (160 BHP right?) Make sure you fill in petrol from Shell or some trustworthy pump since I have heard TSI engines are sensitive to fuel quality.

I fell in love with that "Grouse" shade from Karlsson. And the alloys look awesome too!
Have been using premium fuel only & have just tanked up with Speed 97. Only issue is with availability of Speed 97 / other premium petrols when travelling out of major cities.
Old 1st July 2011, 13:03   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Have been using premium fuel only & have just tanked up with Speed 97. Only issue is with availability of Speed 97 / other premium petrols when travelling out of major cities.
Jatin, I have been filling up Shell unleaded only from day one. I was advised by Vinayak to fill up only regular fuel and not premium fuels for some reason. I also feel that Speed 97 would suit this beast very well. The recommended fuel is 95 octane or higher.

The manual reads as below..
"Prescribed fuel - unleaded petrol 95/91 RON
Use unleaded petrol 95 RON. You can also use unleaded petrol 91 RON, but this leads to a slight loss in performance"

I am tempted to feed her Speed 97 on my next fill. I think it will allow the engine to run at its best. Do share your experience with Speed 97 in terms of FE and power delivery as against regular premium fuel (91 octane).
Santoshbhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd July 2011, 06:32   #29
BHPian

Congratulations, jatinganapathy, the car looks awesome. The number of new Lauras on the forum is just staggering! Wonderful car, wonderful choice. I wish you many years of happy motoring.
Orko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2011, 13:17   #30
BHPian

Congrats Jatin, the car looks great! Particularly like your choice of rim design. Do you think its ok to completely rework the seats for the leather treatment or would you recommend leather covers? Have been recommended to use Karlsson as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Jatin, I have been filling up Shell unleaded only from day one. I was advised by Vinayak to fill up only regular fuel and not premium fuels for some reason. I also feel that Speed 97 would suit this beast very well. The recommended fuel is 95 octane or higher.

The manual reads as below..
"Prescribed fuel - unleaded petrol 95/91 RON
Use unleaded petrol 95 RON. You can also use unleaded petrol 91 RON, but this leads to a slight loss in performance"

I am tempted to feed her Speed 97 on my next fill. I think it will allow the engine to run at its best. Do share your experience with Speed 97 in terms of FE and power delivery as against regular premium fuel (91 octane).
I have used regular premium (91) for the first fill in my 1.8, but am wondering whether i should be using 95? No harm done to the engine if i use 91 i hope! Also, what is the recommended tyre pressure for her? Am still running the stock 15"s but will be looking to upgrade to 16" soon- the problem is the roads to my factory (Peenya) are completely destroyed by "namma" Metro hence i wouldnt want to reduce the ride quality.
nirav is offline   Reply With Quote