Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 14th July 2011, 11:16   #181
BHPian

Default Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
As for a Verito, why buy a car that's designed and first made in Romania, which is not exactly a car making country (The car is original DACIA Logan)
I am not too sure if that is a right analogy. By this strategy you wouldnt be ever buying the Renault Duster as well however good it may be cos its after all a Dacia, right? Again you wouldnt be buying a Mahindra or a Tata also right since India was not a car making country or if I may put it correctly a car innovator country! Not very sure of this argument.. Sorry I do not agree.
sarmarishi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:23   #182
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
I am not too sure if that is a right analogy. By this strategy you wouldnt be ever buying the Renault Duster as well however good it may be cos its after all a Dacia, right? Again you wouldnt be buying a Mahindra or a Tata also right since India was not a car making country or if I may put it correctly a car innovator country! Not very sure of this argument.. Sorry I do not agree.

By that logic he can not buy any car - 130 yrs ago no country was a car making country. He wouldn't buy any Japan made consumer electronics either - 50yrs ago Japan was not an electronics producer (in fact nobody was - transistor war invented in 50s) and no Korean cellphones - 20yrs ago Korea didn't have a cellphone industry.

And of course he wouldn't want any India built software either - 30yrs ago India didn't have computers.

Judging something (in this case a damn good product) on not on its own merits but on who made it - now who else does that?

Last edited by vina : 14th July 2011 at 11:24.
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 11:51   #183
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautamkhadse View Post
Awesome write up Tanveer , Somehow I feel that you should have tried out the i10 and am sure you would have loved it . DOnt know if it qualifies your list but its surely one of the good hatches .

To like the Punto , you really have to be a FIAT FAN boy and the best FAN if I may say . The clutch does feel bad and you cant half cluch the punto like you can on the tootas or the hyundai.

You reaction to the FIGO was a bit of a shocker for me , because looking at the sales number I feel , people love that car , really really love that car .

Why didnt you try out any of the VWs ? Was the cost a factor to strike them off the list .

Also , the recently announced price cuts on the Honda Jazz , have they struck more confusion ?

@Tanveer : I was justthinking about two options which might need budget streching but are absolutely yummy options . The fabia and the Ford Fiesta Classic .

The fabia is a little expensive and you might just ignore it because of all the horror stories that we get to read .

The ford fiesta classic though is an absolute VFM . Still looks like a winner is one of the most loved diesels and also sells a lot . Is very reliable has all the goodies included ever since it got the so called Classic (read OUTDATED ) status .

Compared to the new model I prefer the older version and given a choice today I would like to go for the fiesta . I know its not a hatch but just try it out . It packs the punch that you are looking for .
We are primarily looking at a diesel car. If its a petrol, it has to be below 3.2 ex showroom Delhi. Thats why we went TDing the Alto also. 4-5L petrol hatches are a strict no no.
Our diesel hatch budget is 5.5 ex showroom, but will stretch if something great comes along. Right now the contenders at the top are
1. Micra - Drove nissans in USA. Among the best cars there. At par with toyota
2. Ritz - Low cost is a +
3. Swift D (new one) - Will decide only after TD

Other hatches
1. i20 - Its out because somehow Hyundai service is going down the drain. Till around 40-50K kms hyundais do very well, but go to 60-70K kms they can backrupt you with expensive parts. i20 parts are expensive, its confirmed.
2. Figo - In city it was good, but at 80kmph felt the need to downshift. This is the car which can become a pain on hill driving, esp long straights. Moreover, call me biased, but I always rate japanese and korean cars above the american mfrs. Have driven GMs and Fords in USA, and they always fall short of the koreans and Japanese cars in all respects
3. VW/Skoda - Enough horror stories.
4. Tata/Fiat - Could not see the so called quality initiatives and improvements in the product. Same story as was 3 years ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
Hello everyone, first time poster!

If you like the Micra's engine, then why not try the Verito?
Same engine, solid build, no real vices. Plus loads of space, I personally did like the rear seating of the Micra, when I td it, I literally felt that there
was no rear seat in this car, a point agreed by family members too.
for the price of the Micra you can get the base variant of the Verito
with some discounts thrown in.
In my opinion its the best VFM car out there, the real fill it forget it car.

Looks: subjective arent they? Well I like cars with staid looks(most of the time!),so I like it!

If you have Td all the other cars in this segment, then it aint fare on your part to leave out the Verito, come on give it shot, it could be a pleasant surprise!

Williams F1.
Its go the same engine as micra and is 200kgs heavier. The only reason micra is in contention is because its light. If it was heavier, it would have been discarded like the figo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vina View Post
Verito is the best VFM car out there with all the essentials you can think of. HOWEVER (1) tsk found Figo underpowered, Verito has lesser power and higher weight (2) it is more expensive than a Figo.

I mean if you do consider a Verito and are OK with a hatch too - why not save 1L and go for a Figo (this advice is not for tsk)
Nope not okay with a 1.2 ton vehicle with 65 horses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Welcome to TBHP Williams F1 So are you a Rubens fan? Or Pastor Maldonado?

As for a Verito, why buy a car that's designed and first made in Romania, which is not exactly a car making country (The car is original DACIA Logan). In addition, why buy a car who's manufacturers here (Earlier Mahindra-Renault & now just M&M) are not even intelligent enough to engineer the wipers to fit and move in the right way? Its simply too basic, cost cutting machine (even the ORVMs are universal. You can take out the left & right one, and fit them on the other sides.) Too bald. There are a lot better VFMs around at similar asking price. On top of it, the diesel in the Verito is not really a powerful machine. Proportionate to its displacement & own weight, it coughs out the least of the modern diesel engines currently running. Okay there is lesser turbo lag since its higher in displacement, but turbo lag can be even worked out well with proper turbo tuning and gear ratios like Fiat & Tata have done in their cars. Verito is unfortunately a loser. M&M should have discontinued it. Better to get an all new car instead. On the same platform if needed...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Williams_f1 View Post
Vina and Reinhard, thank you for your comments. Point noted and agreed upon!

Reinhard on the subject of Williams F1, well the team comes first before the drivers, its all about Sir Frank Williams and Patrick Head for me. I would also like to add that I am really happy with both the drivers as of now. Sadly my love for the team has taken over my love for F1, unable to see their disastrous performances, have reduced my quota of viewership. Hoping for better season in 2012!

Williams f1.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarmarishi View Post
Quote:
By that logic he can not buy any car - 130 yrs ago no country was a car making country. He wouldn't buy any Japan made consumer electronics either - 50yrs ago Japan was not an electronics producer (in fact nobody was - transistor war invented in 50s) and no Korean cellphones - 20yrs ago Korea didn't have a cellphone industry.

And of course he wouldn't want any India built software either - 30yrs ago India didn't have computers.

Judging something (in this case a damn good product) on not on its own merits but on who made it - now who else does that?
I have nothing against Romania. But I rate mahindra service similar to Tata service. So looking at other mfrs.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 12:52   #184
BHPian

Still not decided? Or waiting for the new Swift? I guess all the usual suspects have been spoken of and now it all about plonking down the money. The recommendations will keep coming and this can go on for ever.
SPARKled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 13:35   #185
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Still not decided? Or waiting for the new Swift? I guess all the usual suspects have been spoken of and now it all about plonking down the money. The recommendations will keep coming and this can go on for ever.
We will be booking the car in September. So we have time to check out the new swift.
Old 14th July 2011, 13:38   #186
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, I understand you were not comfortable with Chevy Beat Petrol that you test drove. Now with the wonderful review of the diesel Beat by GTO, I hope you won't mind giving it a second chance for the test drive at least. Especially when it it going to be priced in the range of i10/ swift petrol models... or you still would reject he small car for its radical looks & interiors you weren't comfortable in.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 13:46   #187
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
Tanveer, I understand you were not comfortable with Chevy Beat Petrol that you test drove. Now with the wonderful review of the diesel Beat by GTO, I hope you won't mind giving it a second chance for the test drive at least. Especially when it it going to be priced in the range of i10/ swift petrol models... or you still would reject he small car for its radical looks & interiors you weren't comfortable in.
The problem is not its styling or space. The problem is the AC controls breaking the knee. Unless they have changed the centeral dashboard design, its a no.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:01   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Guys, I think I didn't convey my thoughts properly. What I meant is, the car though was badged as "Renault" wasn't really engineered by Renault. Its Dacia who made the car as a cheap solution. Its a car that is a "CHEAP PRICE" in Romania, which has similar economical position like India (or worse?).

It was just badged Renault here, to give it that "Brand factor" which matters in India. And that to me, honestly, isn't a good way to do business. Just adding a brand badge, and leaving trivial things like hood openers, wipers in wrong orientation (aligned for LHD), is not too good. It shows how much efforts the company is taking when launching a car in a market like India which has a huge buying potential and competition. Our market has already let down excellent cars for no good reasons - MS Baleno, Fiat Palio, Fiat Siena, Indica to name a few. There are no outright winner features in the Verito when compared with other cars. And there is no guarantee that M&M will continue this car for too long either. Continuously declining sales will definitely be making M&M anxious. Why buy a car that though good, has unforgivable flaws and no guarantee of long survival in our ruthless market were my thoughts.

I don't have anything against Romania and their industry either!! And neither against Mahindra. (In fact, I'm employed by a Mahindra group company! :-P)

And I don't want to plunge into a fan-boy / hate-boy argument really, so you fellows accept my apologies for those remarks and lets end it at that. Its cool!

Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 15:25   #189

Exclamation Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

2) i20

+:
-> Quite spacious
-> Better fit and finish
-> More features and more premium feel

-:
-> A/C issues are more heard
-> Steering rattle, this does not even happen in a cheaper car like Alto/Santro/Spark. Still not fully solved
-> Rear seat design. A bit more flat than necessary
-> Unsorted ride. With that wheelbase, things could have been better. Ritz even with small wheelbase show how to sort out ride quality
-> Not so good handling. Given that the car is lower than tall boys with a longer wheelbase, handling could have been better

If you are purely buying the car for highway drives, i20 is good. But if city + highway driving or only city driving is involved, Ritz is better.

But at the end of the day, it all boils down to what you feel and what your heart says.[/quote]

Regarding the AC issue - Hyundai has changed the vent from horizontal to vertical to improve the throw and the ECU has been reprogrammed to improve the performance of the AC. It might not have resolved the issue completely, but its a lot better than before..
Vampirevipin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 20:48   #190
Senior - BHPian

Is Jazz under your budget?

I think if you are looking at i20 then jazz too might be able to impress.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 22:06   #191
BHPian

Read the whole thread guys!

tsk's explained quite a few times what his requirements are.
No, the Jazz is not an option as it is petrol, and even with the discounts are beyond the budget!
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2011, 22:39   #192
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Read the whole thread guys!

tsk's explained quite a few times what his requirements are.
No, the Jazz is not an option as it is petrol, and even with the discounts are beyond the budget!
Spot on. Petrol under consideration only if around 3.2 or less
Old 15th July 2011, 00:29   #193
BHPian

Have you considered the Thar, Do take a TD and let us know...
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 00:34   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furebo View Post
Have you considered the Thar, Do take a TD and let us know...
Now,please enlighten us,as to where does Thar fit in his requirements
He already has a Safari EX 4X4,and is looking for a fill it shut it forget it Diesel Highway Hatch.

And you are suggesting a Thar-Beats me completely
akshay4587 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2011, 01:24   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
Now,please enlighten us,as to where does Thar fit in his requirements
He already has a Safari EX 4X4,and is looking for a fill it shut it forget it Diesel Highway Hatch.

And you are suggesting a Thar-Beats me completely
Heh Heh, No offense meant bro. It is this one comment made by GTO that over shadowed my thought.

Quote:
"Give me a Thar over any 6 lakh rupee hatchback or sedan any which day."
Anyways when so many different options are being explored then maybe he could have a look at it!

You never know what happens when truck drivers go shopping for a hatch!
Furebo is offline   Reply With Quote