Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 16th July 2011, 19:54   #211
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
He said that the diesel version will have the same engine which comes in Corolla Altis, but with a different turbo (fixed geo) and power settings. He further said that the Liva diesel might as well come before the Etios or together at one go is what he had to say.
That's one big scoop there.
BTW, he 'got his hands on' meant he got to learn about the car? or is it he got to drive it?
And hope that the power settings don't go below 75BHP and also they fix the bottom end and make the diesel Etios/Liva as tractable as the petrol versions.
DicKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 00:15   #212
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
We will be booking the car in September. So we have time to check out the new swift.
Im assuming you want to make a booking in September so you can take delivery by Diwali? In the case of the swift I would suggest you put down 25k and make a booking now, there is already a backlog and there are going to be a huge number of bookings once the new swift launches. Waiting periods may go up tremendously. So its better to book it now and and get ahead of the queue. You can make up your mind after the TD. Just my two cents
radiokidb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 15:35   #213
BHPian

Hey tsk, I'd rather have this go on and on, forever - It's been one hilarious ride for me! I'd want you to check out New Swift, Liva Diesel, and I hope Honda announces the launch of Brio Diesel and hope you go after it too!! The more the merrier, the way you have been narrating the experiences here!

On a serious note, tsk, New Swift is one contender definitely worth waiting for, IMHO. And if zulfi hansi is right about the launch of Liva Diesel, then it can be a good option too. Since you have been serious about Micra, a car 'with no brakes', you might as well consider Liva - a car with... hmmm... may I say, chor bazaar furniture?!. I expect Liva Diesel, with its 1.4 L engine, would not be lacking in performance the way the petrol one does with its 1.2 L. You will also get the continuity of your existing 'T'-badge with the much sought-after complete turnaround in reliability expectations.

Just my two cents...
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th July 2011, 19:53   #214
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer. Its hard to fault a Nissan. Its built like a tank and has much much better and 'sensible' interiors than a Toyota. If I was in the market for a hatch, I would look at the Nissan and the new Swift and the top end Liva.
I wonder why the brakes on the Micra u Td'ed were bad. But i guess time and a few ownership reports will tell the full story.
jaysmokesleaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 14:52   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves View Post
Tanveer. Its hard to fault a Nissan. Its built like a tank and has much much better and 'sensible' interiors than a Toyota. If I was in the market for a hatch, I would look at the Nissan and the new Swift and the top end Liva.
I wonder why the brakes on the Micra u Td'ed were bad. But i guess time and a few ownership reports will tell the full story.
I think the reason behind the "bad brakes" comment is, the Micra D doesn't offer ABS+EBD IIRC from the GTO review. Its a sour miss given that the car is pretty heavy.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2011, 19:31   #216
BHPian

According to GTO's review, the Beat Diesel is going to be out in a few weeks. Does that get into contention as well?

I like where this thread is going. Just an indication of how spoilt for choice we are.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 12:22   #217
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
According to GTO's review, the Beat Diesel is going to be out in a few weeks. Does that get into contention as well?

I like where this thread is going. Just an indication of how spoilt for choice we are.
Nope, if you read my petrol beat experience, you will know why.
And 2900rpm at 100kmph. This is no highway cruiser!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 13:52   #218
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer,

Just a thought - how about trying luck for a pre-owned Ford FUSION+ TDCI? Its one cool car. Okay I'm absolutely not aware of its ownership costs etc. So its not an advise or recommendation at all. Just a thought that crossed my mind. I love the Fusion's stable stance, spacious interiors and sharp body lines...If I could afford it, I'd have bought it at that time...

Cheers!
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:32   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
try the Micra D, which well... was shot down because it looks girlie (i'd call it unconventional styling).
Sorry iceman7, I think your friend got to look again at the Micra.
Just clicked the photos of Micra, when I went out for lunch after reading your post in the thread. I had this in mind and luckily I saw this Micra with these awesome alloys.

Name:  IMAG0269 Medium.jpg
Views: 1583
Size:  93.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0270 Medium.jpg
Views: 1215
Size:  115.9 KB

A cropped up version of the 2nd pic
When truck drivers go hatch hopping-copy-imag0270.jpg

Does it look girlie ?
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:39   #220
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Tanveer,

Just a thought - how about trying luck for a pre-owned Ford FUSION+ TDCI? Its one cool car. Okay I'm absolutely not aware of its ownership costs etc. So its not an advise or recommendation at all. Just a thought that crossed my mind. I love the Fusion's stable stance, spacious interiors and sharp body lines...If I could afford it, I'd have bought it at that time...

Cheers!
He says the Figo is slow so obviously the Fusion will be slower.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:52   #221
Team-BHP Support

Its not just the slowness, I don't really have faith in a Ford, or a GM or a Tata/Mahindra vehicle giving trouble free 130000,140000kms ownership over 10 year period.
However, Nissan, Suzuki, Toyota,Honda have a proven record in cars that last.

To be frank, the TD car is the best judge of a cars longeivity. Esp a 15000-20000kms done TD car.
It shows how a car handles abuse.

From multiple TDs, the worst was Tata vista, barely 9000kms done, and gears had stopped slotting. Engine was fine.
Ritz, Swift at 15000kms were like new, and the swift clutch was slightly hard.

Figo at 19000 was truly horrendous.

Micra at 9000 odd felt like brand new, except for brakes. They were making the squealing sound of worn pads. How do brake pads go toast at 9000kms? Bad design, poor driving. So its definitely a negative.
But clutch, gearshift, engine, all felt like brand new.

I know a lot of people will say "TD cars are abused", "Service centers may not have maintained it well". I ask them a question. "If a service center cannot maintain its own car, do you think they can maintain your car?"
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 14:57   #222
Team-BHP Support

You know Tanveer, that's pretty ironic. I drove 3 Ritz TD vehicles and all were in horrible condition. Literally falling apart. One had a completely blown clutch and the guy actually admitted it!!!

I drove the Figo twice and on both counts the cars felt really good. One car was 4K odd kms and the other 11K.

I went to try out the i20 with my dad. Dad pulled the door handle on passenger side and it came off in his hand.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 15:00   #223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Sorry iceman7, I think your friend got to look again at the Micra.
Just clicked the photos of Micra, when I went out for lunch after reading your post in the thread. I had this in mind and luckily I saw this Micra with these awesome alloys.

Does it look girlie ?
Of course not. Infact I like the cheeky styling. Nice rims too.
iceman7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 15:23   #224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I know a lot of people will say "TD cars are abused", "Service centers may not have maintained it well". I ask them a question. "If a service center cannot maintain its own car, do you think they can maintain your car?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
You know Tanveer, that's pretty ironic. I drove 3 Ritz TD vehicles and all were in horrible condition. Literally falling apart. One had a completely blown clutch and the guy actually admitted it!!!
Sorry Tanveer, but IMO this is not a correct way to look at things. Service Center's don't get paid to maintain the TD car and for the fact most of the TD cars are abused.
If we go by your logic and then considering what Vid says, even Maruti cannot provide a good after sales service.
Please don't paint all the showroom & service center of a brand, with one brush. The a.s.s experience is very dealer specific.

I am not taking any sides, but I think there are many examples around where Ford/GM and other brands too have provided a decent ownership experience for over 1Lac+ kms.
Just be a little flexible with your opinions.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 19th July 2011 at 15:34.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 15:27   #225
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
I am not taking any sides, but I think there are many examples around where Ford/GM and other brands too have provided a decent ownership experience for over 1Lac+ kms.
Just be a little flexible with your opinions.
I have seen 118NE also giving 100,000kms of trouble free ownership. There will always be some specimens.
I am just trying to choose a mfr which has a higher percentage of reliable cars
Kind of like choosing a lottery with higher chance of winning.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote