Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th July 2011, 16:12   #226
BHPian

Default Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

Tanveer,

Not sure if this is OT, but wanted to know whether all the showroom's where you test drove the vehicles have the facility of exchanging your current car which you plan to anyway sell?

Actually my cousin is also planning to get a new sedan and wanted to know whether he can get his tata SUV exchanged during the same deal as he is a bit lazy in selling his SUV seperatly and wanted to know whether all showroom(irrespective of the brand) have the exchange facility.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 16:23   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
I have seen 118NE also giving 100,000kms of trouble free ownership. There will always be some specimens.
I am just trying to choose a mfr which has a higher percentage of reliable cars
Kind of like choosing a lottery with higher chance of winning.
Curious to see TOYOTA in your list then .
If we go by stats and stats only, they have recalled the most cars for defects off late.

NOM, just kidding of course.
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th July 2011, 20:05   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its not just the slowness, I don't really have faith in a Ford, or a GM or a Tata/Mahindra vehicle giving trouble free 130000,140000kms ownership over 10 year period.
However, Nissan, Suzuki, Toyota,Honda have a proven record in cars that last.

To be frank, the TD car is the best judge of a cars longeivity. Esp a 15000-20000kms done TD car.
It shows how a car handles abuse.

From multiple TDs, the worst was Tata vista, barely 9000kms done, and gears had stopped slotting. Engine was fine.
Ritz, Swift at 15000kms were like new, and the swift clutch was slightly hard.

Figo at 19000 was truly horrendous.

Micra at 9000 odd felt like brand new, except for brakes. They were making the squealing sound of worn pads. How do brake pads go toast at 9000kms? Bad design, poor driving. So its definitely a negative.
But clutch, gearshift, engine, all felt like brand new.

I know a lot of people will say "TD cars are abused", "Service centers may not have maintained it well". I ask them a question. "If a service center cannot maintain its own car, do you think they can maintain your car?"
Hey Tanveer - excellent review and very accurate observations so far but here you are probably not accounting for several factors:

The way the car sales have grown over last several years, many if not most guys doing TD are "fresh out of school" - where school means driving school. They don't know how to drive in the first place and many don't care.

In addition this is "somebody else's car" - so very few really care. I mean my wife took the TD car over a 6inch hole at 50kmph - I tried to 10kmph over a 2inch hole in her father's Omni and she scolded me like hell. Most people are like my wife. So it really boils down to whether the place where the dealership is located presents enough opportunities to mistreat the car in the first place.

Then the cars are always busy, and dealerships don't get paid to maintain them + no owner => no timely maintenance. What would any sane person do if there is any odd noise coming from the front wheel? go the the workshop. What would a dealership's driver do? go for another TD with another abusive (both to the driver and to the car) customer.

You are right that TD car with 15000km on it shows how it handles abuse - you are wrong if you assume that that is the normal kind of abuse anybody - read anybody would subject to his own car.

Next coming to your specific comments -

Mahindra's track record with Logan has been excellent. You don't like it due to undepowered engine - that is fine, but service and quality is not bad. And I agree it is a Renault/Dacia car but so what?

Before I bought my Figo I talked to a lot of Ford owners who have owned Maruti/Hyundai in the past - every one of them was really happy with his Ikon or Fiesta. And if you go through your own two threads on essentially the same topic (isn't it against the rules?) there are many Figo owners who are vehemently protesting your observations (I'm not one of them - I think your criticism was corect and in any case you should buy what you like) - in fact some posted it on Figo thread too.

This is not to say that Toyota/Honda/Nissan are not better - they may be (I don't know).
vina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2011, 19:26   #229
BHPian

Official announcement: New Swift will be launched on 17 August 2011, they have a dedicated website for the new swift now.
Maruti Suzuki swift car: coming soon
and the ACI press release:
New Swift coming August 17 | Autocar India
zulfi hansi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th July 2011, 15:34   #230
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Official announcement: New Swift will be launched on 17 August 2011, they have a dedicated website for the new swift now.
Maruti Suzuki swift car: coming soon
and the ACI press release:
New Swift coming August 17 | Autocar India
No offense meant, and neither do I dislike the Swift (in fact I'm a Swift fan for some reasons.)

I don't know why, but after all this huge discussion and brainstorming, if TSK buys the new Swift, I'll be pretty disappointed
Reinhard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2011, 19:16   #231
Senior - BHPian

Tanveer, i am now watching this thread much closer than before. As i understand the Ritz, Micra look to be on top (At the moment) as per your test drives and you are awaiting Swift launch.

I am also now awaiting Swift launch, i might have to look at a cheap (As cheap as possible), very safe (especially should have all the safety features as i might be on the highway all the time), and good fuel efficiency (Swift should give me good efficiency).

Awaiting the other test drives as and when they are launched.
mayankjha1806 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 19:56   #232
BHPian

The new swift is out in the market. But the with the booking level and waiting period, is this in your list?

Eagerly avaiting for your report on swift D..
KumaravelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 17:11   #233
Team-BHP Support

I will probably take a TD of the new swift, but from what I have ready, its mostly some shiny bits and all. Ritz still seems to be a more practical option.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 11:20   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will probably take a TD of the new swift, but from what I have ready, its mostly some shiny bits and all. Ritz still seems to be a more practical option.
I visited a Maruti dealership yesterday to get hold of SX4 diesel prices & dekho of the new Swift. I must say that I was impressed with the interiors, which appeared better finished than the NFF that I test drove yesterday. But, overall the swift appeared a tad smaller than what I had expected it to be (just my opinion though)... & the boot is smaller too with high loading bay, as another forum member (hiren.mistry) has posted in New Swift thread of the Indian Cars Section.

I suggest you try the Ritz again (& compare it with the new Swift) & Figo. I bet you would be in a better position to ease your & our anxiety re the your new hatch.

PS: I observed that in case of both SX4 & new Swift that were being displayed in the dealership had bubbles in the paint at the bottom of the door frames & both were white in colour. Maruti Suzuki needs paint shops IMO, if this was not due to some silly stickers.
CARDEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2011, 20:20   #235
BHPian

Wonderful write up tsk.
I dont remember when i last time i laughed so much while reading a TD report.
Since i am also going to be in the same position as you are now couple of months down the line, went through all 16 pages off the thread.

Since you are on TDing spree you might as well TD the new jazz.. i know i know 'if its a petrol car then it has to be around 3.2lacs' but you wont loose anything and we might get a hilarious ride report on Honda jazz as well.
iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 18:56   #236
BHPian

Quote:
I am not sure whether I missed anything, still, why not a Honda Jazz now that they have reduced the price by 1.6L
Or is it that you are looking for a diesel machine?
Best Regards,
bkbkr1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:07   #237
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
I am not sure whether I missed anything, still, why not a Honda Jazz now that they have reduced the price by 1.6L
Or is it that you are looking for a diesel machine?
Best Regards,
Is it available for less than 4L, because thats what the cost should be if a petrol car has to make the cut!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2011, 20:13   #238
BHPian

Quote:
I don't think you'll like the new swift, it's not spacious for tall people and if they are tall and big even worst, space wise nothing comes close to the Wagon R, however the Ritz has the better engine, K12 buttom end pull is better than the K10, however both are not low end tourque monsters and it's only after a center RPM they shoot.
musicmanaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:01   #239
BHPian

K12 buttom end pull is better than the K10

Whats the difference between the K12 & K10 please ?
rxpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2011, 14:05   #240
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxpaul View Post
K12 buttom end pull is better than the K10

Whats the difference between the K12 & K10 please ?
K10 is 1L petrol engine (in Wagon R)
K12 is 1.2L petrol engine (in Swift and Ritz)
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote