Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 7th July 2011, 15:55   #121
BHPian

Default Re: When truck drivers go hatch hopping

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastLove View Post
I read your first post and believe me it livened up a gloomy afternoon for me Well written and inviting enough for me to add a comment . I could only manage to read few other posts on this thread , so sorry if i am repeating anything.

That you are not considering the Punto is surprising . Considering you have everything you are looking for and a bit more in terms of technology with the Punto.

Not wanting to walk back to a Tata Showroom is not a very convincing excuse. You have so well researched the cars and so particular in your details shows that its the product that matters. The A.S.S is best known to you after having experienced 2 Tata cars.

I had 2 Tata Cars (Indica 2002 and Marina 2005 till now) and didnt have any inclination of going back to TATA showroom again. But when it came to choosing my next car i gave every car the same unbiased TD and Linea won the Heart and Mind . After 50000 km with Linea in 2 Years , comments like the poor A.S.S or the spare parts problems are very surprising to me especially when it mostly comes from hearsay and not own personal experiences.

Happy motoring and may you get over the Truck Ordeal and enjoy your next beautiful hatchback soon
Fastlove, I too would have asked Tanveer to go for the GP (specially based on his requirements).
However, 2 things go against Fiat:
1. The turning radius (not that major issue).
2. NCR Tata/Fiat dealership network

I believe Anshuman is also pretty upset with the dealers there. Although the service has been really sweet all over the country, NCR seems to have a problem in this area.

Now a note from the owner of the oldest Punto in the country: I did not have a single bit fall off, break, tear, damaged in my car. Yes, my running of 21k in 2 years is a bit low. However, I had more things replaced in my Spark of 2.5 years than the GP.
aqualeo2040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 16:10   #122
Team-BHP Support

Fiat Punto is very expensive when you talk about the 90bhp engine. Even the weaker 75(or is it 70) bhp engined punto is 5.6+
for that kind of money, I would risk an i20.

As for Tata, well swift is still far away, so maybe I take a TD or two?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 16:23   #123
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Fiat Punto is very expensive when you talk about the 90bhp engine. Even the weaker 75(or is it 70) bhp engined punto is 5.6+

Hi TSK,
A lovely review. Thanks a lot for the TD experiences, and more so for the way in which you've put it across. You sure have a way with words and narration .

Your search and requirements meet exactly with my requirements, I own a swift VXI and irrespective of the lack of space in the rear (I'm 6 feet tall), I love the car, and even the maintenance is not too costly. But, thanks to the fuel prices i am planning to shift to diesel.

IMHO, waiting for the new swift makes perfect sense and, hoping for the Toyota Liva diesel to be available soon.

Wondering whether to go for the Safari or buy a small hatch for now and buy the safari after few years.
tckanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 17:45   #124
BHPian

Hi tsk, I guess you should go with the Ritz. New swift would be an option but the waiting period could be killing as I am sure there are a lot of people waiting for this car. I too second your thought about not going to a Tata car as it would no way be as niggle free as a MSIL. I20 is something that just doesn't cut it. All the best with your selection
Palio_2005 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 17:51   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
Hi tsk, I guess you should go with the Ritz. New swift would be an option but the waiting period could be killing as I am sure there are a lot of people waiting for this car. I too second your thought about not going to a Tata car as it would no way be as niggle free as a MSIL. I20 is something that just doesn't cut it. All the best with your selection
Have the option of purchasing from multiple geographic areas, so may be able to get a lower waiting time.
So lets see, if in August, it is told that minimum waiting time is 3 months, then of course, other options have to be looked at, however, if waiting time is 4-6 weeks, and car is not very highly priced, and better than ritz, then it will be the new swift.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 18:28   #126
BHPian

Quote:

That is more convincing

Yeah do TD the Tata hatchbacks but beware lest they try to convince you to upgrade to a Manza
FastLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:08   #127
BHPian

The availability of A.S.S stations at even remote places obviously inspires a lot of confidence, and if that along with fill it & forget it kind of reliability is the main criterion then pretty much anything other than a Maruti is ruled out.
Looking back at this thread i think it was always going to be a car from Maruti stable.
On the other hand I am not convinced about two things. First is about the feedback of Figo's pulling power on highways etc, but each has his own driving style & satisfaction level. So no arguments there.
Secondly the long ride comfort in Ritz. Pulling power from 80 to 110 is alright but overtaking constitutes 20 % of overall driving, 100% of the time is spent riding in the car. So ride quality also matters. I shudder to think of doing a 1200 km overnighter in that. There are plusher options available in market for lesser price with a slight compromise on high end grunt.
But then again A.S.S rules here and you can't go wrong with a Maruti. So congratulations for your impending purchase .
Happy buying !
ashish.uno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2011, 21:47   #128
BHPian

Quote:
Well to be very straight, i20 would be much greater risk given the issues with the car. Just look at the number of used i20's on sale? That said when you test drove the i20, did you find the steering to be OK?
I am looking for a car for myself and I test drove the i20. Apart from the ineffective A/C, I just cannot live with that steering. Its devoid of any feel and wants to come to straight ahead position even when you are just making your way in traffic.
It also tells you the depth of engineering the car has. In my opinion, Swift is a much better engineered product than i20 and Punto or the Polo are in a different league altogether.
akhilesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 00:43   #129
Senior - BHPian

tsk in my friend circle / family we have all the cars you have listed. Let me break a few things down for you regarding diesels hatchbacks

1. THEY need maintenance
2. THEY need money for maintenance
3. ANY diesel hatch service at 10k interval costs around 4k on an average.
4. All cars have some or the other problem

3 of my friends are smitten by PUNTO where as a lot of others find it dull to drive all due to engine. They are not going to take sharp turns just so that they feel excitement in car. One of my friends PUNTO steering came in his hand while he was taking a turn at roundabout.

FIGO / Swift are no-nonsense cars. They have niggling issue, but nothing that would cause you a lot of problem. My bro's 20k FIGO service cost was around 4.5k which doesn't include Alignment and Balancing. AC filter was replaced as recommended in the service schedule.

Coming to i20 its a total premium hatch and premiums things demand money. Avg service cost will be 4k and will touch around 6k for 30k service. Dunno about clutch overhaul but 2 of my friends i20 have crossed 70k and none of them have had their clutch replaced. My friend paid 9.5k for 70k service which includes 4 x Disc Pad Change+ EGR cleaning.

Regarding AC problem i can tell you this ACC $uck$. Let it be Civic, Altis, Laura in scorching heat here in Punjab nothing works better than 120 CC AC of Suzuki Alto.

I would admit i like i20 but thats not because i am blindly in love with it. I used to find it an ok car and rate PUNTO over i20 and have even posted on tbhp in a couple of threads about steering and handling issue with i20. But it all changed when i drove i20 for few hundred of KM's and went on long trips in the car.

i20 > Swift > Figo > Punto > Polo is how i rate hatch backs after driving and checking out ownership reports from my friends / family and A.S.S stories.

Last edited by abhibh : 8th July 2011 at 01:10.
abhibh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 01:01   #130
BHPian

Great write up
Many people here are vouching for the Punto and no doubt, it is a great car however, NCR servicing is shoddy. Elegant motors seems to be the only decent service centre but it is far from ggn and from where I live. In this month, I've made five trips all the way for the same issue. I will go again tomorrow. You do not want to go through this when you put in so much money into a 'luxury' hatchback. Parts take forever to arrive and the service levels just DO NOT match that of Maruti and the other players. If you're looking for a no hassle car then the Punto is not the right choice.
sukrit7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 07:00   #131
Distinguished - BHPian

Huh??/ mere comment kahan hai??

Tanveer I requested you that for sake of all your fans here please do TD's of ther suggested cars till you get TD opportunity of new Swift. This way we will be kept entertained and informed at the same time !!!
sudev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 07:33   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In noida you have long CNG queues. Moreover, it will be a pain on highway trips. I think I will stick to diesel. And no Tata. Already have 2 of them!

We do two kinds of holidays. Holidays for regions with bad roads and holidays to regions with no roads.
For no roads, we have the safari, for bad roads, the new car will do, and from what I have seen and read on many forums, Maruti is the best bet. Every remote area I have been to has a Maruti service station.

Speaking of Figo, its a nice car, but its a pain on highways to constantly have to wring the engine. Its not good. I already have a car in which I have to wring the engine and everything else to squeeze performance. Not again

Regarding i20. The steering column issue is scaring me. But then in the safari the steering column always makes weird noises. And its there in every safari. You take a full lock turn over uneven surface, and it goes khat khat khat.

Looking at the hue and cry, it appears that Hyundai owners have high expectations of their cars. Which makes me happy. The company must have done something right to build high expectations, right?

See I am justifying i20 again. I hate to do that. We should quietly go for the ritz and save the moolah.
Somebody please tell me bad things about i20. Real bad things.

Tanveer, Try the Figo again from a different dealer. I have done almost 12,000 km in 6 months which includes many highway trips where I keep the speedo over 120. I have a wife and two kids so the car is always fully loaded. Believe me, I have never found it to be under powered. It is nice to drive with a good steering, decent boot space, good interior space, + it is solidly built. The gear box is good and there is hardly any turbolag.

The only gripe I have with it is the low ground clearance. It is easy to grounfd the car on speed breakers if you are not careful.
rajneeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 10:09   #133
BHPian

Dear tsk1979, this is best post I have seen on this forum that was written with great creativity. Kudos. I like your statement about Tata/Fiat "Taking you kicking and screaming" LOL . I owned a fiat uno in the past. Had bad experience with the ***. Moved to Maruthi, currently owning a Swift VDI from the past 3.5 years. Amazing car. Very peppy for city traffic conditions. All the best for your hunt.
hydswift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 10:49   #134
BHPian

Quote:
No idea about pricing. Thats why, come august, we will see ritz price and new swift price. If the difference is 50-60K we will give it a pass, but if its much less, then it becomes a contender.
That said, I don't really expect the new swift to be priced significantly higher.
Read today in the paper that the new swift is going to be priced higher than the older one. Looks like they might be continuing the older one which could justify the higher premium for the new one.
SafeDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2011, 11:04   #135
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Read today in the paper that the new swift is going to be priced higher than the older one. Looks like they might be continuing the older one which could justify the higher premium for the new one.
AFAIK, Maruti has stopped production of current gen swifts and is taking bookings only for the new gen swift.So what you have mentioned might not be the case.
Alter_Ego is offline   Reply With Quote