Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 15:12   #46
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 126
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
1. Update on FE: Latest fuel (normal petrol) topup to topup has given a figure of 14.6 kmpl with 100% AC on - the driving has been 30-40 on highways, balance in city.
Hi RadiantKarma. I would love to get a mileage of 14.6 in my Etios. I get a mileage of between 9 and 10 Kmpl in city driving. My odo reading is closer to 1200. Did mileage improve upon usage for you? What was the mileage you got when your odo was under 1000 km?
amateurpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 15:34   #47
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Hi amateurpro,
  1. My only proper tankful-to-tankful FE reading, till 1000 km on odo, as mentioned in the OP, recorded a mileage of 13.3 kmpl in the city with normal driving.
  2. As mentioned in the post referred by you, the reading of 14.6 kmpl was with a combination of city+highway run with sedate driving. (IIRC, the highway run was at speeds of 80-100 kmph)
  3. Now I am closing in on 2000 km reading. Very recently, I have noted another mileage number - 12 kmpl only. But, 90+% of this run involved short runs averaging 3-4 km stretches and fair amount of heavy foot on the gas pedal.
So overall, the mileage numbers have shown fairly consistent pattern, and there is no noticeable upswing so far.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 17:28   #48
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 157
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hi amateurpro,
  1. My only proper tankful-to-tankful FE reading, till 1000 km on odo, as mentioned in the OP, recorded a mileage of 13.3 kmpl in the city with normal driving.
  2. As mentioned in the post referred by you, the reading of 14.6 kmpl was with a combination of city+highway run with sedate driving. (IIRC, the highway run was at speeds of 80-100 kmph)
  3. Now I am closing in on 2000 km reading. Very recently, I have noted another mileage number - 12 kmpl only. But, 90+% of this run involved short runs averaging 3-4 km stretches and fair amount of heavy foot on the gas pedal.
So overall, the mileage numbers have shown fairly consistent pattern, and there is no noticeable upswing so far.

Your observation is at par with mine. Now that my Etios has covered 7000 km i get 12-13 kmpl with 80 % City and 20% highway driving with AC on all the time.
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 22:30   #49
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Your observation is at par with mine. Now that my Etios has covered 7000 km i get 12-13 kmpl with 80 % City and 20% highway driving with AC on all the time.
Thanks for sharing your experience. There goes the hope of mileage improving in near future! Possible hope now is after the 1-year service!

Btw, how would you define your driving style? Sedate, average or aggressive? 'cos the mileage depends a lot on it. If you train yourself to drive carefully, FE can easily improve by 1.5-2 kmpl. Right now, I am enjoying the power of the new car, but I'm sure, the mileage will improve immediately, if I decide to work a bit on my driving.

EDIT: Just saw your post on upgrade's ownership thread that reports gradual improvement in mileage. My hope is now rekindled!

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 25th August 2011 at 22:51.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 11:36   #50
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 157
Thanked: 94 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

My driving style can be put as 'Moderately aggressive' as the superb acceleration is just addictive and more often than not i cant resist myself from flooring the pedal. I am enjoying every drive thoroughly and have made a mental note to live with 12-13 kmpl. Previosuly i used an alto which would easily give 15-16 in city. But what the heck i have got a bigger and better car to enjoy the drive so better live the moment with it.
heman_369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 21:16   #51
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Hi RadiantKarma,

Your thread has begun smoldering again like an intermittently active volcano!

What I have noticed about the Etios is-with many of the on the road now-the looks have become extremely palatable. It looks like a really stylish car-unlike the recent upgrade of the Altis.

Hope you are having a great ownership experience
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 14:42   #52
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
...as the superb acceleration is just addictive and more often than not i cant resist myself from flooring the pedal.
Yeah, did I hear acceleration or exhilaration?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Hi RadiantKarma,

Your thread has begun smoldering again like an intermittently active volcano!
Hey charthom,

Good to see you back here in Etios territory, mate! And very well put, the thread is indeed trying to come to life. On the other hand, your superb thread is rocking and buzzing like ten thousand thundering typhoons!

Quote:
What I have noticed about the Etios is-with many of the on the road now-the looks have become extremely palatable. It looks like a really stylish car-unlike the recent upgrade of the Altis.
Yeah, the looks have been growing on me too! And I have been wondering if it's owner's bias!!

Quote:
Hope you are having a great ownership experience.
Yup. Except for the fact that mild vibrations have started being felt inside the cabin as I have mentioned a few posts earlier. At the moment, feeling just a little disillusioned with Toyota on its Etios Q-promise front! Dedicating the next post to what A.S.S. has done about it...
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 15:29   #53
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Team,

This has reference to post#45 in which I had mentioned the issue of mild vibrations that have started trickling inside the cabin.

One of these days I visited Uttam Toyota's Service Centre in Noida (SS) for the problem. And this is how the story unfolded.
I reach the SS in the morning at the appointed time. I have informed in advance about the problem. SS knows that the car needs to be inspected first by a technician before being handed over for service.
The techie takes quite a while to be available for the test. When he finally makes his entry, the staff apologizes profusely for the delay despite lack of any negative reaction from my side. (dunno if there was a grimace on my face, though I tried to put on a smile!) Good enough.
The techie checks the engine parameters by means of ECU interface and promptly declares that the ECU needs reprogramming. I'm informed that Toyota has issued a circular for reprogramming of ECU for a particular batch of vehicles. I am given a feeling that this could resolve my complaint. Fair enough.
ECU is reprogrammed in no time. I check the vehicle. About similar level of vibrations still being felt. Techie and his senior now tell me that this is normal. Service Advisor offers me to inspect other Etioses. I oblige him. I observe more or less simlar vibrations in another car.
And I refuse to accept the job done in my car. My reasoning is simple - the phenomenon has started after the delivery and therefore, cannot be termed normal. SS agrees to investigate further and I leave the car there.
Evening. I get back to the SS. The vibrations continue. SS tells me that it has checked each and every parameter and is confident that everything is in order. SS even puts on record in the service report that vibrations being felt inside the cabin are normal.
I thank the staff for their effort and promise them that I would take up the matter with Toyota as this now appears to be a design issue.
The behaviour of the staff is top-class all the time.
Will write to Toyota soon!


Well, to be honest. The vibrations are mild at the moment. And maybe I can live with. But such development in a Toyota? Tough to accept! Thought Toyota made ageless cars - one big reason for my buying one. And here she has started trembling so early on!

Anyone else facing similar situation?

Am also remembering gautam109, who first reported similar problem on the forum and stated if the problem is because of improper engine mount or inadequate damping. Buddy, are you lurking somewhere around?! Any progress on the issue?

Last edited by RadiantKarma : 27th August 2011 at 15:35.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 16:45   #54
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
On the other hand, your superb thread is rocking and buzzing like ten thousand thundering typhoons!
Thanks a lot Buddy-for the kind words. Your occasional presence and stamps will stand out even against the thundering typhoons.Welcome to try out.

Quote:
At the moment, feeling just a little disillusioned with Toyota on its Etios Q-promise front!
Not really happy to read this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
I thank the staff for their effort and promise them that I would take up the matter with Toyota as this now appears to be a design issue.
During my first test drive-I politely invited my neighbour who had just arrived at the scene. He drove it briefly and asked-"Is this a diesel engine?" Considerable levels of vibrations could be felt.But then both of us reasoned that the test vehicle could have been being abused by testers continuously.

If the fuel throttle is reduced too much for high fuel efficiency,it will impart vibrations on the engine dur to slight starving. Ask them to re-adjust it on the expenses of slightly less fuel efficiency-the vibrations might reduce.

Do you have any problem of slight reduction in pick up?

Quote:
The behaviour of the staff is top-class all the time.
Will write to Toyota soon!
Very refreshing to read.


Quote:
But such development in a Toyota? Tough to accept! Thought Toyota made ageless cars - one big reason for my buying one. And here she has started trembling so early on!
Sad but a fact.Let us hope for the best.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 21:48   #55
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
During my first test drive-I politely invited my neighbour who had just arrived at the scene. He drove it briefly and asked-"Is this a diesel engine?" Considerable levels of vibrations could be felt.But then both of us reasoned that the test vehicle could have been being abused by testers continuously.
I had taken 3 TDs of Etios. I did not consciously observe vibrations during the first TD, as the car was fresh in the show-room and ppl were queueing up for TD. But later, especially in the last TD, the car that had done 3500 kms felt quite refined, and that sealed my buying decision.

Quote:
If the fuel throttle is reduced too much for high fuel efficiency, it will impart vibrations on the engine dur to slight starving. Ask them to re-adjust it on the expenses of slightly less fuel efficiency-the vibrations might reduce.
Thanks buddy, for the suggestion. However, I am not sure if the fuel throttle in the modern day cars can be readily adjusted. In fact, I did have a chat with the service folks on this and they expressed inability to make any adjustment as the fuel injectors are ECU controlled and are functioning exactly as per the design. And ECU programming comes straight from Toyota. That's why I was hopeful that ECU reprogramming might do the trick. So, on this count too, gotta get back to Toyota. Please let me know if I am missing something here.

Quote:
Do you have any problem of slight reduction in pick up?
Do you mean pick-up reduction post ECU reprogramming? Well, will have to observe some more to give any definitive opinion on this.

After your post, I again spoke up with the service folks. They have suggested to observe for a couple of hundred kms and see if the ECU reprogramming makes any impact on vibrations issue. This means that I will wait some more before raising the issue with Toyota. The folks at Toyota can breathe easy for now!
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 22:01   #56
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Thanks buddy, for the suggestion. However, I am not sure if the fuel throttle in the modern day cars can be readily adjusted. In fact, I did have a chat with the service folks on this and they expressed inability to make any adjustment as the fuel injectors are ECU controlled and are functioning exactly as per the design. And ECU programming comes straight from Toyota. That's why I was hopeful that ECU reprogramming might do the trick. So, on this count too, gotta get back to Toyota. Please let me know if I am missing something here.
Welcome,Mate.I experienced strange vibrations on my Santro in 2001. Also I found the pick up diminished after the service. I brought up the matter with the S.A. who I understand,re-adjusted the throttle( by changing the ECU program-sorry don't have too much knowledge here). My car immediately returned to normal. The same could be possible with Etios too.

Quote:
Do you mean pick-up reduction post ECU reprogramming? Well, will have to observe some more to give any definitive opinion on this.
The reason for my question is above. Less fuel,the engine units starve,uneven power delivery, leading to vibrations. Also diminished power output leading to reduced pick-up.Supply more fuel to the injectors,smooth power delivery,less vibration and more pick up.

Hope they have inspected the injectors for choking etc.And the engine foundation, for loose bolts.

Quote:
After your post, I again spoke up with the service folks. They have suggested to observe for a couple of hundred kms and see if the ECU reprogramming makes any impact on vibrations issue. This means that I will wait some more before raising the issue with Toyota. The folks at Toyota can breathe easy for now!
The change should be obvious immediately. Anyway,there is no harm in waiting and watching.

Last edited by charthom : 27th August 2011 at 22:04.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 22:22   #57
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Welcome,Mate.I experienced strange vibrations on my Santro in 2001. Also I found the pick up diminished after the service. I brought up the matter with the S.A. who I understand,re-adjusted the throttle( by changing the ECU program-sorry don't have too much knowledge here). My car immediately returned to normal. The same could be possible with Etios too.

...Less fuel,the engine units starve,uneven power delivery, leading to vibrations. Also diminished power output leading to reduced pick-up.Supply more fuel to the injectors,smooth power delivery,less vibration and more pick up.

Hope they have inspected the injectors for choking etc.And the engine foundation, for loose bolts.
Your response is lightening fast! Aha, you own an AT - no need even to change the gears! Anyways, in this case, the throttle (fuel injector) is exactly as per the specs. And they have claimed to have checked all the above.
Quote:
The change should be obvious immediately.
I think so too! But as you said, no harm in a little wait 'n' watch.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 21:56   #58
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Hey guys,

Thought of posting an update on the issue of mild vibrations trickling inside the cabin at idle in my Etios. I had taken up the matter with Toyota. Prompt came the response through SS (Service centre). SS folks visited my place and the car was again checked.

In the end, the stance maintained by the SS so far, and purportedly confirmed by Toyota, is that the vibrations are normal. Formal confirmation is awaited though.

I decided to further take up the matter with SS and visited them with my car. (I am really liking the behaviour of the SS guys!). They checked the engine rpm at idle under different conditions by connecting the meter with the ECU in my presence and assured me that everything was in order.

I insisted as to why the vibrations and why they were not present earlier. Ever so politely, the service engineer suggested it could possibly be that I did not notice these earlier as one often tends to get overwhelmed with the experience of a new car initially. Then he offered me to check other cars including Corolla. So here I am checking one Corolla and one Corolla Altis (both petrol). Yeah, almost similar level of vibrations exist. I am a little flummoxed, and feeling a little red-faced too. Have I overdone the vibrations concern?

In all likelihood, when the SS reprogrammed my ECU a few days back, the vibrations might indeed have dropped. But maybe, I was stubbornly expecting vibrations to go away completely and did not notice the drop.
Well, that's it from me for now. Need a while to recover from the embarrassment before I further confirm that all is really well with my car.
RadiantKarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2011, 22:58   #59
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantKarma View Post
Hey guys,
In the end, the stance maintained by the SS so far, and purportedly confirmed by Toyota, is that the vibrations are normal. Formal confirmation is awaited though.
@RadiantKarma,

Mate-the attitude of Toyota A.S.S. is commendable.

I have been suffering from vibrations from my i10 these days-ever so mild they may be. DBS tyres in Cochin checked my car-they had done N2 filling etc for me.

Their technician test drove the car.The removed one wheel assembly from place and analysed.His comments:

1. If the engine foundation bolts are slack obviously there will be vibrations.
2.If the bushes under the suspension springs( I have to figure out this)wear out the car vibrates.
3.There supposed to be a spacer ring between the hub and the alloy wheel.If this ring is missing/gets damaged ,there may be a mild play between the wheel and body even after tightening full in SOME cases-this mild play induces vibrations.

In your case points 2 and 3 are relevant. Can you ask them to check the same.

Otherwise be convinced that the vibrations are normal. It is not significant in comparison with the cosmic vibrations which helps to make your karmas ever so radiant!!

Cheers,charthom.

OT: Sailing time again-leaving for London on 20th.Will be back by March end.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 11:22   #60
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 318
Thanked: 166 Times
Default Re: Plain Jane Toyota Etios conquers the heart with her soulful charm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Mate-the attitude of Toyota A.S.S. is commendable.
Yes indeed. The first encounter with them had left me pinching if it was for real.

Quote:
I have been suffering from vibrations from my i10 these days-ever so mild they may be. DBS tyres in Cochin checked my car-they had done N2 filling etc for me.

Their technician test drove the car.The removed one wheel assembly from place and analysed.His comments:

1. If the engine foundation bolts are slack obviously there will be vibrations.
2.If the bushes under the suspension springs( I have to figure out this)wear out the car vibrates.
3.There supposed to be a spacer ring between the hub and the alloy wheel.If this ring is missing/gets damaged ,there may be a mild play between the wheel and body even after tightening full in SOME cases-this mild play induces vibrations.

In your case points 2 and 3 are relevant. Can you ask them to check the same.
Hope you get your problems sorted out soon. i10 is such a refined car! And thanks a tonne for sharing all this. You're ever so helpful!

Quote:
Otherwise be convinced that the vibrations are normal. It is not significant in comparison with the cosmic vibrations which helps to make your karmas ever so radiant!!
Such a gem of a person you are! You keep spreading positive vibes all the time.

Quote:
OT: Sailing time again-leaving for London on 20th.Will be back by March end.
I was going through your thread a few days back, and figured out you're off someplace for a longish period. I also read about Finland, IIRC. So it's London after all. Your amazing thread is evolving into some kinda "All you ever wanted to know about Honda City and much more". You can think of re-titling it!

Btw, do I take sailing time as figure of speech for the overseas trip or is it about merchant navy kinda trip? Anyway, you deserve absolutely the best in your endeavour. So wishing you good luck.
RadiantKarma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
4th time's the charm! Swarit19 Introduce yourself 2 22nd August 2016 14:26
Third time's the charm !! VSD Introduce yourself 1 12th April 2012 08:35


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:17.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks