Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 18th August 2011, 14:39   #181
BHPian

Default re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Are you guys getting anything for the OEM Clarion unit? If not, you could try using the same for a few days and see exactly what you require as a change.
Nope we will not get anything for the OEM unit. Also I need bluetooth and USB connectivity, reverse camera. Since all come integrated with CASKA as a single solution(GPS also) felt it would be better to just replace the HU and not have multiple systems for each need.

How did the service go?
prabhuferrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 16:42   #182
BHPian

Just got the car. The service was excellent. Gaadi is ekdum makkhan! Details to follow as I can't type much while driving
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 18:04   #183
BHPian

Default re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 18)

Keyur - first of congrats on the car, i just had the priviledge of driving a test drive car today and i was mighty impressed, this is a great value for money - fun to drive car. I now relate better with your review.

Thanks a ton for sharing the info. All the best - ML.
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 21:22   #184
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Optimist, congrats! Don't be too gentle with your car - she likes it hard . Basically, don't worry about the speeds - just ensure that you do not go above 3000 rpm on any gear for the first 500 kms and keep some variations in the acceleration!

I use normal diesel. Just ensure that you use pumps that have the narrower hose (they are supposed to have unleaded fuel).
Thanks. OK. will go and learn about those tomorrow.

Quote:
Are you guys getting anything for the OEM Clarion unit? If not, you could try using the same for a few days and see exactly what you require as a change.
BT is not a killer feature for me. i have GPS / google maps on my mobile and my mobile gets mounted with a nice stand which came with the phone. Many times i forget to switch on the audio . So right now i'm happy with the audio.

Btw i did ask and they were not willing to exchange at the showroom. No idea on outside fitment which they confirmed WILL void the warranty.

I stalled the car a few times. Guess I need to go to lower gears or rew a little higher.

The first niggles. The power steering fluid is leaking and near empty. BTW Sundaram Motors (Bangalore) do not figure in the list of dealerships with their breakdown helpline which i could get through today after trying to reach them whole of yesterday to complain about a slightly damaged gear lever knob.

@Prabhu : Take yours over a ramp, switch on and check everything and Go early. The delivery experience was pathetic. i'd rate my i10 delivery experience as 10 and this as 1 on a 10 to 1 scale.

Last edited by optimist : 18th August 2011 at 21:26.
optimist is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 21:29   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimist View Post
Thanks. OK. will go and learn about those tomorrow.

The first niggles. The power steering fluid is leaking and near empty. BTW Sundaram Motors (Bangalore) do not figure in the list of dealerships with their breakdown helpline which i could get through today after trying to reach them whole of yesterday to complain about a slightly damaged gear lever knob.
Did you call the Sales executive who helped you in the buying process? I think they should be able to help. Also did not get what you mean by list of dealerships with their breakdown helpline?

Did you not meet the service centre manager while taking delivery? I think you should meet him sometime and befriend him, take his mobile no. It helps to have a personal connect with the service centre guys.

Wish your Optra a speedy recovery from these niggles.

Keyur,
Sorry for the long post in your thread.
Old 18th August 2011, 21:57   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabhuferrari View Post
Did you call the Sales executive who helped you in the buying process? I think they should be able to help. Also did not get what you mean by list of dealerships with their breakdown helpline?

Did you not meet the service centre manager while taking delivery? I think you should meet him sometime and befriend him, take his mobile no. It helps to have a personal connect with the service centre guys.

Wish your Optra a speedy recovery from these niggles.

Keyur,
No use. Does not answer the mobile. Must have been super busy. That too after I gave him a nice perfume of much more value than the chocolate box they gave.

I had asked for this introduction and for a engine briefing but this rep left me with the vehicle and walked off before i left the place. I forgot at the last stage. The chevy breakdown person was busy today with a dead car complaint and did not have the sense to inform me to check levels in the morning after i complained of diesel or oil like stains on water in the ground in the morning.

My apologies also. Hope to start a thread in some time. So friends, please bear with me for a few days.
optimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2011, 22:36   #187
BHPian

Quote:
I stalled the car a few times. Guess I need to go to lower gears or rew a little higher.

The stalling happens because of 2 reasons in the Optra :
1. You are leaving the clutch too fast. - In the Optra, both the clutch and the accelerator are pretty soft touch - release the clutch slowly with a very light tap on the accelerator - you will get used to it.

2. Do not consider that the Optra has 5 gears. Assume that it has 6 gears as 1,2,2,3,4,5.
All you need to do is stay in second where normally you would be in 3rd in a petrol vehicle with a shorter gearing. The gist is to see the RPMs and not the speed. Your aim is to keep the RPMs in the meaty region (2000 rpm to 4000 rpm) to get the max benefit. If the RPMs drop below and you start to feel a shudder - downshift. If you are in third gear and you have to brake or go over a hump, you may find it better to downshift to first.

But once you get an open road, let the beast roar!

Quote:
The first niggles. The power steering fluid is leaking and near empty.
That's not a niggle - that's an issue - a major one. Have you identified the cause. You should not be driving without the fluid.
See page 7-17 of the manual. You will see the picture of the reservoir (to the left of the battery). Just check if the hose pipes to the reservoir are loose or if it is leaking from there. If so, you may fix it temporarily.

Also, when it is fixed by the technician, ensure that he first bleeds the system (to remove air) by emptying the reservoir and then turning the steering wheel left and right multiple times, and then fill up the reservoir.

Quote:
I had asked for this introduction and for a engine briefing but this rep left me with the vehicle and walked off before i left the place. I forgot at the last stage.

My apologies also.
Did you fill up the feedback form? As per GM policy, the sales rep is supposed to come to your house and explain everything to you. You can refuse to fill up the form if you have already not done so.

Also, you are free to use this thread - no issues at all. Getting the issue resolved and getting inputs from those who can help is of the utmost importance!

Quote:
Keyur,
Same for you too - no apologies needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Keyur - first of congrats on the car, i just had the priviledge of driving a test drive car today and i was mighty impressed, this is a great value for money - fun to drive car. I now relate better with your review.

Thanks a ton for sharing the info. All the best - ML.
Thanks ML. Are you planning on a purchase?

Last edited by keyur : 18th August 2011 at 22:39.
keyur is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 11:58   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations optimist. Eagerly waiting for your thread. I am talking to the CASKA guys as Sundaram said changing Head Unit will void the warranty So trying to get the CASKA guys resolve it with GM. It seems GM has approved for CASKA in Cruze and Aveo, but not in Optra.
Please let me know if you strike a deal. I am also looking at CASKA for my Optra. Also had a chance to look at Pioneer HU. They were also good.
sylvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 12:26   #189
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur

Thanks ML. Are you planning on a purchase?
yes, my lease for my existing car runs out shortly. Thanks a ton for sharing the info.
Motoringlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 12:38   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylvan View Post
Please let me know if you strike a deal. I am also looking at CASKA for my Optra. Also had a chance to look at Pioneer HU. They were also good.
I am trying 3 different options.

1. Have asked Sundaram Motors to get an approval.
2. Have asked CASKA guys to get an approval.
3. I have sent a mail to GM customer care asking for an approval.

Hope atleast one clicks. Will keep you posted.
Old 19th August 2011, 12:46   #191
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations optimist. Eagerly waiting for your thread. I am talking to the CASKA guys as Sundaram said changing Head Unit will void the warranty So trying to get the CASKA guys resolve it with GM. It seems GM has approved for CASKA in Cruze and Aveo, but not in Optra.
My experience has been otherwise. When i took delivery of my Optra Magnum I checked up with KUN Chevrolet, Hyderabad and they had the catalogue of CASKA readily available with them and were willing to get whatever model that was suitable for Optra cut out.
NoRules is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 21:49   #192
BHPian

Quote:
That's not a niggle - that's an issue - a major one. Have you identified the cause. You should not be driving without the fluid.
See page 7-17 of the manual. You will see the picture of the reservoir (to the left of the battery). Just check if the hose pipes to the reservoir are loose or if it is leaking from there. If so, you may fix it temporarily.
Ok a few calls/requests and the technicians came home, topped off the steering fluid tank. Drove to the service. Fault is with the steering rack. A misthreaded nut on the main pipe connection. Thankfully the guys located the single spare assembly available in Bangalore and ordered it. Hope to get delivery tomorrow evening.

Another development, non critical but enough to cause heartburn. Will say more about it in a thread.

Last edited by optimist : 19th August 2011 at 22:07.
Old 19th August 2011, 23:16   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Hey Poitive - So when are you making it public. Eagerly waiting for detailed ownership report and photos from you.
Hi @C300, It has been moved to the public section, though I have a lot of information (and pictures) yet to add. Will keep doing that over time.

Link to the Ownership report:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...let-optra.html (Finally! “Driven!” & “Chosen a Diesel Sedan” – The VVS Magnum (Chevrolet Optra))

Quote:
I took delivery of my Sandrift Grey LT yesterday evening. Will start a new thread on the ownership after a few days.

What fuel do you guys use? normal or premium? Thanks.
Congrats mate!

Am using Premium (BP High Speed Diesel). There is a sticker on panel between the steering and window, which clearly says that one should use premium. Do you too have it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
yes, my lease for my existing car runs out shortly. Thanks a ton for sharing the info.
@Motoringlover, I had started a thread for my What-Car. Within a few pages, it became a much more general Diesel What-Car thread. It also developed to becoming very Optra Centric. The following may be helpful for you:

Choosing Thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...-upto-12l.html (Choosing a Spacious Diesel Sedan upto 12L)

Driven! Thread (has a few TD reports): http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...iesta-pg5.html (Driven! Vento, Optra, Linea, SX4, Manza. EDIT: Fluidic Verna (pg4), New Fiesta (Pg5))

Quote:
I am trying 3 different options.

1. Have asked Sundaram Motors to get an approval.
2. Have asked CASKA guys to get an approval.
3. I have sent a mail to GM customer care asking for an approval.

Hope atleast one clicks. Will keep you posted.
Since the Optra is meant to have a standard Double-DIN slot, why don't you take a more general permission. You have a very wide choice of units to choose from - not just Caska. And that would give you options of going in for companies well known for good sound quality.

Quote:
Just got the car. The service was excellent. Gaadi is ekdum makkhan! Details to follow as I can't type much while driving
Keyur, what difference to you notice before after servicing, besides it being smoother? Any difference in lower rpm torque?

Quote:
Ok a few calls/requests and the technicians came home, topped off the steering fluid tank. Drove to the service. Fault is with the steering rack. A misthreaded nut on the main pipe connection. Thankfully the guys located the single spare assembly available in Bangalore and ordered it. Hope to get delivery tomorrow evening.

Another development, non critical but enough to cause heartburn. Will say more about it in a thread.
Hope your experience is a bit better hereon, Optimist.
When was the car manufactured?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 23:27   #194
BHPian

Quote:
A misthreaded nut on the main pipe connection. Thankfully the guys located the single spare assembly available in Bangalore and ordered it. Hope to get delivery tomorrow evening.

That's sad man! Issues keep happening, but right the day when you have brought it home, and you had big plans, it becomes a mood dampener! Anyways, all the best.

It would also be helpful if you post the issue or the thread here so that we can get some more info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

Keyur, what difference to you notice before after servicing, besides it being smoother? Any difference in lower rpm torque?
It's not just the oil change but also the air filter cleaning. The combined result is a deep throated roar (nice feeling) apart from the smoother ride. I didn't feel any such overall difference in the torque at lower rpms.

I hardly feel any lag either, but I cannot attribute it to servicing as it probably is because I have gotten used to circumventing it.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 00:05   #195
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
Congrats mate!

Am using Premium (BP High Speed Diesel). There is a sticker on panel between the steering and window, which clearly says that one should use premium. Do you too have it?
<cut>
Hope your experience is a bit better hereon, Optimist.
When was the car manufactured?
Yes the sticker is there. Have not tanked up yet in fear of dripping diesel. Rainbow below the car at 11 in the night on the date of delivery is very discomforting. It's a June 2011 shipped from factory by July last week.

Quote:
It would also be helpful if you post the issue or the thread here so that we can get some more info!
Ok I believe that the PDI guys dented my running board just in front of the rear right wheel. There is a deep gough mark of a steel channel and 2 dents a small one just above the gough and a big one slightly forward. Looks like a rubber pad dislodged from the support arm of the lift

it's for a good reason i chose my user name. it's my "average" attitude. Never mind. Things seem to be getting resolved by tomorrow.