Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2012, 14:35   #316
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: Torqueen hits the next level - Race Chipped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueorchid View Post
So, what are the changes after putting in the chip (imaginary or not ).
Any performance figures?
I have not dynoed the vehicle and have no intention of doing so. As long as it feels right, I am good!

I will write about the changes shortly.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 01:00   #317
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: Optra DIY - Adding the Race Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I was done in 15 minutes, and was washing my hands when the guys arrived.
Any impressions on the change after installation? Has this box taken care of the turbo lag?

And did you understand the graphs given in the race-chip site? I could NOT make out much because in both the graphs, they have given the same notations & curves and indicate the stock power & torque figures on the top. And I assume that the 4 graphs [lines] denote the 4 different stages or so ?? If you have more info, please share.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 15:52   #318
BHPian
 
chetan_l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 89
Thanked: 162 Times
Default Re: Optra DIY - Adding the Race Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
So one fine Monday morning at around 7.30 am, I was waiting for a couple of my colleagues to come as we had to go to Mumbai for some official work. I was waiting by my car, when I got a call that they would be delayed by 10-15 minutes (more).

That's when I had the 'inspiration' of fitting the chip in right there and then! I always carry my toolbox in the boot, so I got that out and started the job (in full formal wear and everything ). I was done in 15 minutes, and was washing my hands when the guys arrived.
All in a day's job, eh?

You have provided very good insights on your choice for the RC over RD & Pete's (in your ownership thread). And the detailed inspection report of the Race-chip is just awesome.

I do not find any need to tamper with my Optra yet, but your relentless pursuit to boost your own car is quite tempting...an RC at < 13k or so sounds like an icing on the cake. I do not want to indulge, but still, one never knows.

I will keep looking forward to your results!

Last edited by chetan_l : 4th March 2012 at 15:53. Reason: To correct typos
chetan_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 19:29   #319
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Bangalore,Coorg
Posts: 790
Thanked: 361 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

@Keyur - I will check online about the Race Chip, but I wanted to ask a question. Is this an Optra specific chip or is this an universal chip which works on any engine and you/they then put in your vehicles map in the software. Or maybe even the 32 settings are designed for getting it right in your vehicle.

Also, would this chip work on a non turbo engine. I ask, because all my vehicles are non turbo petrol (separate issue though). Importantly you say this works by raising rail pressure, which I assume affects your turbo pressure (I may be wrong and welcome advice if it is so).
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 21:37   #320
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pganapathy View Post
Is this an Optra specific chip or is this an universal chip which works on any engine.

This is a universal chip. You need different connectors for different cars - chip remains same.

and you/they then put in your vehicles map in the software.

No map is put anywhere. You can see my post, where I have shown the pics of the signal cable. All it does is boost the signal coming in to the Common Rail.

Or maybe even the 32 settings are designed for getting it right in your vehicle.

There are 2 dials, each having 16 settings. Total number of settings = 16x16 = 256, not 32.
Depending on your car specs, they give you a base setting for each dial. The left dial increases the amount of the boost, the right dial increases the duration of the boost. Depending on how you feel, you can increase the settings 1-2 notches at a time and see the difference.



Also, would this chip work on a non turbo engine.

This works on any vehicle that has a Common Rail (Crdi, Crde, Dicor etc). Turbo does not matter.

all my vehicles are non turbo petrol

I haven't seen any petrol cars having a Common Rail, so am pretty sure that it will not work on your cars

Importantly you say this works by raising rail pressure, which I assume affects your turbo pressure

That depends on your ECU. If your ECU is programmed to increase the turbo boost when the rail pressure increases, you will get a turbo boost, else you will not
Check this thread for the installation, where you will see the Common Rail and the way it fits in.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 22:30   #321
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan_l View Post
You have provided very good insights on your choice for the RC over RD & Pete's. And the detailed inspection report of the Race-chip is just awesome.
Thanks. Just to give a brief idea - The chip was put in at 11000 kms (currently at 16000 kms). I was lazy about posting the thread - too much work .

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Any impressions on the change after installation? Has this box taken care of the turbo lag?
After playing with the various settings and checking the results over about 300 kms, I reached upon the setting that suited me best.

Even at the factory default of B-1, there was a noticeable boost. I could stay in higher gears at lower RPMs. Because of the increased lower end torque, it became easier to upshift faster and stay in higher gears at lower RPMs. And because I didn't have to downshift more, there was an increase in the fuel efficiency by about 2-3 kmpl in the city (not on the highway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
And did you understand the graphs given in the race-chip site? I could NOT make out much because in both the graphs, they have given the same notations & curves and indicate the stock power & torque figures on the top. And I assume that the 4 graphs [lines] denote the 4 different stages or so ?? If you have more info, please share.
I too did not understand the graphs much. But I suppose the black ones are the ones after the chip and the red ones are the stock readings.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2012, 22:56   #322
Distinguished - BHPian
 
swiftnfurious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 6,448
Thanked: 6,428 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
This is a universal chip. You need different connectors for different cars - chip remains same.
Can we order the connectors alone? Say I have two CRDi vehicles and since this is a universal box, if I want to swap the box among the cars, will they sell the connectors alone?

Though you didn't specifically answer, can I assume the turbo lag is taken care of? What is the setting you currently are on ?

Edit:: I think Pete's is losing out of the game here because of two reasons. Priciest of all & specific box for each brand / engine! RD & Racechip provide universal boxes, so if I buy another brand of diesel vehicle, I can re-use the box with the corresponding connectors! My money doesn't go down the drain!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 4th March 2012 at 22:58.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2012, 11:22   #323
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torqedo - My Chevy Optra Magnum 2.0 TCDI. 5k &10k KM Services (Pg 14 & 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Can we order the connectors alone? Say I have two CRDi vehicles and since this is a universal box, if I want to swap the box among the cars, will they sell the connectors alone?
Yes, you can order the connectors alone, or if you can get the connectors locally, you can quickly wire them up together (it is pretty easy - see the pics above)


Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Though you didn't specifically answer, can I assume the turbo lag is taken care of? What is the setting you currently are on ?
Yes, the turbo lag is taken care of to quite some extent in the factory recommended setting itself. And after a bit more of fine tuning, it gets eliminated (nearly) - rather, it is no longer bothersome. (it actually is present just to the level that it does not bother you, but at the same time also gives you a good kick when the turbo kicks in!)


Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I think Pete's is losing out of the game here because of two reasons. Priciest of all & specific box for each brand / engine!
True! And also the injection timing concept (if anyone is paying attention to those details while buying the box).


Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
RD & Racechip provide universal boxes, so if I buy another brand of diesel vehicle, I can re-use the box with the corresponding connectors! My money doesn't go down the drain!
RD claims that they load vehicle specific maps in every box (I seriously doubt that though), so technically, they are not universal either! (This could be a marketing gimmick to have more sales, or could be the truth)

RaceChip definitely is universal and is publicly claimed by them.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 19:07   #324
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Torqueen hits the next level - Race Chipped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
I quickly decided against the remap because at a minimum of Rs.45000, I found it very expensive, coupled with the fact that there was a possibility of someone from the service station finding it and voiding my carís warranty. (But who am I fooling here - it was more about the price and the VFM factor)
@drpullockaran talks about a remap for 18k; putting the same map again without being charged again. For 27k, unlimited varieties of maps. More can be read here (Ghostrider's Chevrolet Cruze LTZ: Initial Ownership Review).

This was about the Cruze. Should be possible for the Otpra as well.
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 16:48   #325
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

A few pics of the LED Angel Eyes that I made (DIY and more pics coming soon).

I had tried blue and white. Finally stuck to white!

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-20120210-16.49.46.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0590.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0611.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0616.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0443.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0455.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0459.jpg

The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!-dsc_0652.jpg

Last edited by keyur : 4th April 2012 at 16:53.
keyur is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2012, 17:23   #326
BHPian
 
aditya@pune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Muz-Pune,
Posts: 80
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
A few pics of the LED Angel Eyes that I made (DIY and more pics coming soon).

I had tried blue and white. Finally stuck to white!
This is what i was waiting for, since you mentioned you are working on this DIY. I know you are busy but post DIY pictures. I also tried after reading on different forum but failed miserably.
Really cool looking fog lamps.
aditya@pune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th April 2012, 12:12   #327
BHPian
 
Akkiben's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 134
Thanked: Once
Default Re: The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

STUNNING!!! You are something Keyur. Hats of to you :-)
Now more pics and please share the ingredients used :-D
Akkiben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 10:52   #328
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 472
Thanked: 381 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya@pune View Post
This is what i was waiting for, since you mentioned you are working on this DIY. I know you are busy but post DIY pictures. I also tried after reading on different forum but failed miserably.
Really cool looking fog lamps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akkiben View Post
STUNNING!!! You are something Keyur. Hats of to you :-)
Now more pics and please share the ingredients used :-D
Hey, there are a lot of DIY activities that I am actually doing, so am not getting enough time to WRITE about them :P

Will try to update this as soon as I can in my DIY thread.
keyur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 10:54   #329
BHPian
 
brraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 794
Thanked: 351 Times
Default Re: Torqueen hits the next level - Race Chipped!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Peteís box seems to work by increasing the injection timing.
Are you sure petes box increases injection timing? source?
brraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2012, 11:09   #330
BHPian
 
aditya@pune's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Muz-Pune,
Posts: 80
Thanked: 19 Times
Default Re: The Grey Torquedo - My Optra Magnum - The Next Level!

Keyur-I believe your projector lamp setup must have been completed on this weekend. Can we see that? At least teasers/Final outcome.
aditya@pune is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Grey Ghost - Pepper Grey VW Vento TSI amitg79 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 29 21st August 2017 11:06
New Optra Magnum 2.0 LT [Sandrift Grey] ByDesign Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 55 19th June 2012 13:00
Happy Birthday nitrous, gsferrari, Torquedo, azeemhafiz & no_enthu_da supremeBaleno Shifting gears 2 20th April 2012 16:19


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:39.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks