Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 27th August 2011, 06:50   #16
BHPian

Default Re: My Black Dog - Alto

Quote:
Originally Posted by KkVaidya View Post
I changed the tyres last month on my Alto. The OE were MRF ZVTS, which covered 55K till i changed to Apollo Amazer XL.
These are really great tyres, better then MRF. I wanted to go for Michelins but the cost factor ruled them out.
HOw much did it cost you for the change ?
jp2u is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 17:26   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp2u View Post
HOw much did it cost you for the change ?
I got 4 tyres for Rs. 9,800/-. They are original spec tyres ( 145/80 R12).
The ride has improved a lot after the tyre chanage. And I am very happy with the braking. These tyres really improved the braking distance.
Attached Thumbnails
My Black Dog - Alto-dsc03194.jpg  

My Black Dog - Alto-dsc03195.jpg  

KkVaidya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:08   #18
BHPian

Quote:
I got 4 tyres for Rs. 9,800/-. They are original spec tyres ( 145/80 R12).
The ride has improved a lot after the tyre chanage. And I am very happy with the braking. These tyres really improved the braking distance.
sorry to be so novice, but what is 145/80 R12 implies to ?

145/80 is what ?
R12 is Tyre size right ?

Sorry to sound , but am still learning the terms
Old 28th August 2011, 21:18   #19
BHPian

Quote:
sorry to be so novice, but what is 145/80 R12 implies to ?

145/80 is what ?
R12 is Tyre size right ?

Sorry to sound , but am still learning the terms
It's OK man.
145 is the tyre width in milimeter.
80 is the ratio of sidewall height. Depending on the width, the ratio is calculated. You must have heard about the lower profile tyres. If you inspect these closely, you will see that the distance from the road to wheel rim will be very less as compared to conventional tyres. That is because of the smaller sidewall.
R denotes Radial and 12 is the wheel size in inches.

Are you planning to buy new tyres for your Alto?
I recommend Apollo, Bridgestone or best is Michelin if your budget permits.
KkVaidya is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 21:54   #20
BHPian

Quote:
It's OK man.
145 is the tyre width in milimeter.
80 is the ratio of sidewall height. Depending on the width, the ratio is calculated. You must have heard about the lower profile tyres. If you inspect these closely, you will see that the distance from the road to wheel rim will be very less as compared to conventional tyres. That is because of the smaller sidewall.
R denotes Radial and 12 is the wheel size in inches.

Are you planning to buy new tyres for your Alto?
I recommend Apollo, Bridgestone or best is Michelin if your budget permits.
thank you for the information.

I have no plans to change tyres in near future, but will overhaul my ride after two years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
When stopped on an incline pull up your handbrake. While starting, start normally like you would on normal roads. As the rear would just 'rise' a bit, let go of the handbrake. Car won't move back. Practice it a few times and you would get a hang of it.

Initially you might stall the engine before letting the handbrake go but slowly you'll get it. And over time you'll be able to move off without slipping and using handbrake.
Quote:
Originally Posted by callvvijay View Post
1. When driving up an incline, accelerate with half-clutch till the car gets some momentum. And if the incline is too steep, use the hand-brake. Release the hand-brake very slowly and accelerate with the cluch depressed. Once you get some momentum - by which time, you would have released the hand-brake completely - release the clutch too and you are on the go! I have used this technique quite a few times when ascending from my office parking (in Basement-2). When ascending the ramp which has a left turn, cars used to come in the opposite direction and I would have to make a stop and start in the ramp.

An Update on the inclined driving:

I have started to cruze the Chennai bridges with ease and even able to reverse on an backward incline
Old 28th August 2011, 22:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Nice to see a black shimmering beauty maintained that well. Get some decent alloys and it will really look all the more neat.

I am clocking 85K on my Alto and had been using Nitrogen for quite some time now and could say the following

1. Tyre Corrosion reduced.
2. Tyre Pressure does not drop so frequently.
3. As regular air has oxygen there is deterioration of rubber due to oxidation and this is eliminated with nitrogen only filled tyres.
4. Increases the life of the tyre by keeping it cooler.

Agreed that racing environment has much more wear and tear along with high temperatures and hence Nitrogen has some effect unlike regular city based driving. But again it helps in having less hassles as explained above compared to regular air.

Having said all this, rotating the tyres @ every 5K intervals, wheel alignment and balancing also do help reduce tyre wear.

Last edited by VJ_MAVRICK : 28th August 2011 at 22:25. Reason: edited some corrections
VJ_MAVRICK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2011, 10:19   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
N
I am clocking 85K on my Alto and had been using Nitrogen for quite some time now and could say the following

1. Tyre Corrosion reduced.
2. Tyre Pressure does not drop so frequently.
3. As regular air has oxygen there is deterioration of rubber due to oxidation and this is eliminated with nitrogen only filled tyres.
4. Increases the life of the tyre by keeping it cooler.

Agreed that racing environment has much more wear and tear along with high temperatures and hence Nitrogen has some effect unlike regular city based driving. But again it helps in having less hassles as explained above compared to regular air.

Having said all this, rotating the tyres @ every 5K intervals, wheel alignment and balancing also do help reduce tyre wear.
Thanks for the tips and good looking alloys on your alto

I have only one doubt, all is said well about the nitrogen filling, but does all this nitrogen good list apply to the nitrogen that is filled up in the petrol bunks ? i know nitrogen is cool, but i think the ones available in bunks are mixed. is that nitrogen good enough ?

Ohh yes, Another thing i got my Team bHp stickers delivered

here is the one i stuck on my Black Dog

Old 10th September 2011, 10:56   #23
BHPian

I have apollo amazer tyres on my alto and to be frank they s*ck big time for me, when every i cross 80 in my speedo, the car vibrates and there is so much disturbance. i think my ride needs a wheel alignment.

and FE am getting is 12 kmpl with 100% A/C. guess need to improve my driving style.
Old 11th September 2011, 10:20   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I have apollo amazer tyres on my alto and to be frank they s*ck big time for me, when every i cross 80 in my speedo, the car vibrates and there is so much disturbance. i think my ride needs a wheel alignment.

and FE am getting is 12 kmpl with 100% A/C. guess need to improve my driving style.
You definatley need to check the balancing i feel. My car does 90kmph (i have not done more then that) SMOOTHLY.
The fuel consumption is also Great on both Petrol & CNG. I dont run much on Petrol except going outstation. My monthly running is around 1200kms and i spend about Rs. 1400 on CNG for that. I think its as economical as a 2-wheeler
Old 11th September 2011, 12:12   #25
BHPian

Quote:
You definatley need to check the balancing i feel. My car does 90kmph (i have not done more then that) SMOOTHLY.
The fuel consumption is also Great on both Petrol & CNG. I dont run much on Petrol except going outstation. My monthly running is around 1200kms and i spend about Rs. 1400 on CNG for that. I think its as economical as a 2-wheeler
Thats a nice economical figure you got there, but i do not want to put CNG in my car, already the alto is low power car, do not want to put more weight on my Black Dog. I want to vrooom in petrol and i like it, just like a typical petrol head.

Now here is a list of problems am facing Currently
  • Front right tyre pressure not constant, always reducing very fast. has it got to do anything with parking the vehicle in an uneven plane ?
  • After 80 or 90, the car vibrates very much, is it due to lack of wheel balancing ?
  • Engaging the 5th gear is a becoming a task now a days, its very hard.
On the Fun part, my latest acquisition is Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax

My Black Dog - Alto-20110911-11.57.23.jpg
Old 11th September 2011, 13:09   #26
BHPian

Hello jp2u,

Belated congratulations on your car. It looks spick and span. The black color, body color bumpers, wheel covers, and chrome garnish look swell on the car. All the best for many happy miles and drive safe.

I too am driving an Alto LXI for the past 3.5 years. It originally came with MRF ZVTS. After completing 55,000 kms on it, recently I changed to Bridgestone S248 which costs Rs. 1,950 a piece (standard size). The comfort level as well as grip on wet surfaces and handling is good. I am getting 20.5 kms/liter in city without A/C.

Fifth gear should be engaged a bit forcefully. Don't know how you do it. I suggest you push the gear knob to extreme right with the open palm of your hand and slide it in, i.e., don't use your fingers.

I have driven at 130 km/hr and the car does not vibrate or shake. Try regular wheel balancing and wheel alignment. Also check for uneven/wavy tread wear pattern. Also check if there are any shaking in the steering assembly while driving. What is the life left in the tyres? Do not go by odo reading alone. Check if any rim is bent on any of the tyres. Check for worn out engine mounts. Check for correct air pressure in all the tyres - you can buy a pressure gauge and keep it handy. Does the vibrations occur only at 80-90 kms speed? Do they go away when you slow down or speed up? If that is the case, it can be due to natural resonance with the moving parts of the car. You should avoid driving at natural resonance.

Reversing on a backward incline is not recommended.
murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th September 2011, 18:09   #27
BHPian

Quote:

Now here is a list of problems am facing Currently
  • Front right tyre pressure not constant, always reducing very fast. has it got to do anything with parking the vehicle in an uneven plane ?
  • After 80 or 90, the car vibrates very much, is it due to lack of wheel balancing ?
  • Engaging the 5th gear is a becoming a task now a days, its very hard.
On the Fun part, my latest acquisition is Formula 1 Carnauba Car Wax
There is a mis-conception that running on CNG reduces the performance. I agree that Alto is a low power car but that's why i am running it on CNG ! No heartbreak on loosing the performance cause it aint got any
Mine is equipped by a BRC kit which are reputed to give minimal loss of performance. I dont mind loosing 10% power for that mileage. Whenever i want to show-off ; it just a flick of switch and I would be on Petrol.

1. For the tyre loss, i suspect it being a slow puncture; Get the tyre & tube checked. If that's ok then replace the valve.

2. The vibration problem is definately related to balancing. You can simply check by inspecting the wheel rim. Is there any small weight lug fixed on the edge of the rim? If its not there- head straight to the balancing shop

3. Gear engagement problem is weird. You may need to consult a technician for that.
Old 11th September 2011, 18:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
There is a mis-conception that running on CNG reduces the performance. I agree that Alto is a low power car but that's why i am running it on CNG ! No heartbreak on loosing the performance cause it aint got any
Mine is equipped by a BRC kit which are reputed to give minimal loss of performance. I dont mind loosing 10% power for that mileage. Whenever i want to show-off ; it just a flick of switch and I would be on Petrol.
So how much does it cost to put CNG, does it occupy the entire boot space, can you upload a picture of the set-up

Quote:
1. For the tyre loss, i suspect it being a slow puncture; Get the tyre & tube checked. If that's ok then replace the valve.

2. The vibration problem is definately related to balancing. You can simply check by inspecting the wheel rim. Is there any small weight lug fixed on the edge of the rim? If its not there- head straight to the balancing shop

3. Gear engagement problem is weird. You may need to consult a technician for that.
1. Will sure check

2. Thanks again

3. Will straight head to MSM
Old 24th September 2011, 09:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
So how much does it cost to put CNG, does it occupy the entire boot space, can you upload a picture of the set-up
It cost me around Rs. 27,500/- for the complete installation including the RTO registration charges.
Attached are the pictures:
1. The tank occupies the boot space completely but I can do with that considering the smashing economy. The tank is manufactured here in India

2. The CNG reducer is imported from Italy.

3. The changeover switch on the dash lets you change from CNG to Petrol in a jiffy. A slight jerk is noticed on the changeover. Otherwise it runs like a breeze on both. Best to keep the switch in middle position so the engine starts on Pertol and switches to CNG after 5 seconds automatically.
Attached Thumbnails
My Black Dog - Alto-tank.jpg  

My Black Dog - Alto-reducer.jpg  

My Black Dog - Alto-changeover.jpg  

Old 24th September 2011, 13:38   #30
BHPian

nice set up, but am worried weather to put it or not, as it will not allow any ICE space for me, am planning to put a sub woofer in my boot