Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 8th August 2011, 16:50   #241
Senior - BHPian

The economy bug has hit the country. Why isn't everyone talking of how they opened the window and heard the glorious roar and thrill of handling vtec
mdsaab enthusiasts won't let your crime go unnoticed you are not off the hook
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 20:51   #242
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I am glad that you are trying out the technique too.
here it is again.
Maintain 60-65 in 5th.
Keep a light foot on the pedal.
RPM should stand at 1500 or just below.
every time the road slopes downward, ease of the accelerator.
when you are coming down a ghat section, no acceleration at all.
~~~
Also let me clarify.
What i meant by uphill does not mean a ghat like section.
What i mean is that the bias of the road is sloping upwards.
Making it an uphill task to achieve great mileage.

When the road slopes downwards it is more favorable. You can ease of the accelerator and still maintain your desired speed.
Very systematic and meticulously thought out technique. I may hit the highway simply to try this out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Last time i had been to my home town early morning. Maintained speed between 100-120 kmph with my ANHC AT. Got Milleage around 20-21 kmpl, MID was showing 23 kmpl. Sweet spot for ANHC AT is around 100-110 to get the best mileage. This was with almost no AC as it was early morning. Drive was around 180 kms.
shamanth- yes,I still remember your remarkable achievement last time. Could the no a/c factor have contributed to the mileage? Not to belittle yur achievement-just a logical thought.

mdsaab-how about trying 100-110 safely and counter checking? Me too-on the next opportunity.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 21:01   #243
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

@mdsaab - What are the real world fuel efficiency being achieved under normal driving conditions? These figures look very good but seem difficult to achieve in day to day driving conditions.
dkaile is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2011, 23:29   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Well well, just tuned in to see if there are any updates, and lo- behold! What updates and how! Great mileage you've managed to clock there. How do you do that?

Lastly, when is the camparo between the Civic and City coming up? It deserves a new thread, you know.
Post below gives some insight. Will let you know in detail when we meet up.
The comparo, ah my dream post. Well i think you are right. It does deserve a new thread and so it shall be.
Minor setback. My netbook broke today. I have sent it in for repair. Don't worry have backed up all the pics and data. But me being me, i think i will head out tomorrow and pick up a new one.
But promise the comparo shall be up soon. and in a new thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Thanks @mdsaab, I am planning a trip to Indore in next 2 weeks. Will be following your tips. Last time with AC and average of around 80-90 I got 17kmpl. Lets see how much % improvement happens this time
I wish you the best of luck. is yours an AT?
remember whenever the road slopes downward in a favorable bias. Ease off the accelerator and let the car cruise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Last time i had been to my home town early morning. Maintained speed between 100-120 kmph with my ANHC AT. Got Milleage around 20-21 kmpl, MID was showing 23 kmpl. Sweet spot for ANHC AT is around 100-110 to get the best mileage. This was with almost no AC as it was early morning. Drive was around 180 kms.
Hey that sounds pretty awesome. On this recent trip i did use 80 kmph to help me at times as the upward slope bias of the road was forcing the avg down. But i will try out this 100-110 sweetspot you mention and post findings.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The economy bug has hit the country. Why isn't everyone talking of how they opened the window and heard the glorious roar and thrill of handling vtec
mdsaab enthusiasts won't let your crime go unnoticed you are not off the hook
LOL! this should be my new signature "Obsessed with mileage since the Golden Beauty"
Hope Skoda won't mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Very systematic and meticulously thought out technique. I may hit the highway simply to try this out.
Bro, you just gotta try this out. It's an awesome feeling when you see such insane figures on the MID.

shamanth- yes,I still remember your remarkable achievement last time. Could the no a/c factor have contributed to the mileage? Not to belittle yur achievement-just a logical thought.

mdsaab-how about trying 100-110 safely and counter checking? Me too-on the next opportunity.
I shall try this out and post the Findings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
@mdsaab - What are the real world fuel efficiency being achieved under normal driving conditions? These figures look very good but seem difficult to achieve in day to day driving conditions.
Hey now that's a very good question. OK. I am going to tank up tomorrow. and this tank is for the City only. Will post the findings soon. But the other figures are purely highway and that too not only to extract the best possible mileage but to enjoy the drive and the beautiful natural surroundings too. The only drawback would be if you were in a hurry. As achieving this sort of highway mileage requires a constant speed and cruising whenever possible. So it cannot be done if you absolutely need to rush somewhere.

~~~
For the Record.
It took us 1 1/2 hours to reach Meherabad.
While the return to Pune took us 2 hours.
So yes, it would roughly take a quarter of the normal time to destination extra.

Also forgot to mention a special thanks to the Science Museum of Hong Kong.
They had a simulator which taught you how to drive to achieve the best possible mileage.
A generous person donated their Audi A4(if i am not mistaken)
You would sit in this real car, though it would not move. the pedals, steering etc were all used.
A computer screen placed in front would run the simulation.
Since Wednesday's entry was free and we used to hog this particular simulator all evening long.
So a special thanks to them too.

Last edited by mdsaab : 8th August 2011 at 23:38.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 03:27   #245
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
a special thanks to the Science Museum of Hong Kong.
They had a simulator which taught you how to drive to achieve the best possible mileage.
Maybe you can start such a class soon; not kidding! While the stock market is tanking everwhere (and you cant short also, as there is so much squeeze, Mr. Bear does not go down linearly) the only silver lining is crude prices. Right now crude futures is trading at $80/bbl. I hope we get some relief at the bunks soon.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 06:58   #246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Right now crude futures is trading at $80/bbl. I hope we get some relief at the bunks soon.
Indian masses will have to really push the government to scale back the chunk of petrol prices before they go for diesel price cut. Increase is Rs 20 in one year but roll back will just be Rs 5.
Old 9th August 2011, 08:59   #247
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
LOL! this should be my new signature "Obsessed with mileage since the Golden Beauty"
Hope Skoda won't mind.
I don’t think they will mind. They have parted with that tagline (quite rightly so, if their Indian dealers are taken into account). So instead of "Obsessed with quality since 1892", now its “Simply Clever”

So your new signature can be "Obsessed with mileage since 2011"
vb-san is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 09:20   #248
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am glad that you are trying out the technique too.
here it is again.
Maintain 60-65 in 5th.
Keep a light foot on the pedal.
RPM should stand at 1500 or just below.
every time the road slopes downward, ease of the accelerator.
when you are coming down a ghat section, no acceleration at all.
~~~
Also let me clarify.
What i meant by uphill does not mean a ghat like section.
What i mean is that the bias of the road is sloping upwards.
Making it an uphill task to achieve great mileage.

When the road slopes downwards it is more favorable. You can ease of the accelerator and still maintain your desired speed.
Remember when I mentioned I will be coming to you for driving tips, bro? Weehaw here we go!

I try to do that with my 800 too, and it gives me decent FE. The big help is the roads in Jagdalpur which slope downward from the outer sections towards the proper city. It helps to be much above sea level as well.

I am a bit apprehensive about driving the City though. Having driven the 800 mostly which does not come with an RPM meter, I wonder if my driving style can squeeze good FE out of the City. I mostly depend on the feedback from the engine (and traffic, but of course) for shifting gears. I know it's important to keep an eye on the RPM counter to get good FE, so it might take me a while to get used to this (rather new, for me) feature.

btw, I might be visiting Pune next month with my brother-in-law. It's just a one-day visit - he has to pick up some papers and stuff from the place he used to work. Would love to meet up in person, bro.
RavenAvi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 11:08   #249
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Maybe you can start such a class soon; not kidding! While the stock market is tanking everwhere (and you cant short also, as there is so much squeeze, Mr. Bear does not go down linearly) the only silver lining is crude prices. Right now crude futures is trading at $80/bbl. I hope we get some relief at the bunks soon.
LOL! why not, fuel efficiency techniques for Team-Bhpians.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Indian masses will have to really push the government to scale back the chunk of petrol prices before they go for diesel price cut. Increase is Rs 20 in one year but roll back will just be Rs 5.
Fully agree, quick to go up slow to come down. Pretty much the opposite of the Stock Market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I don’t think they will mind. They have parted with that tagline (quite rightly so, if their Indian dealers are taken into account). So instead of "Obsessed with quality since 1892", now its “Simply Clever”

So your new signature can be "Obsessed with mileage since 2011"
What do you think VB should i go ahead and change it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Remember when I mentioned I will be coming to you for driving tips, bro? Weehaw here we go!
Now with Dot's new idea, you would have to book a seat in the classroom.

I try to do that with my 800 too, and it gives me decent FE. The big help is the roads in Jagdalpur which slope downward from the outer sections towards the proper city. It helps to be much above sea level as well.
Downward slope, our new best friend.

I am a bit apprehensive about driving the City though. Having driven the 800 mostly which does not come with an RPM meter, I wonder if my driving style can squeeze good FE out of the City. I mostly depend on the feedback from the engine (and traffic, but of course) for shifting gears. I know it's important to keep an eye on the RPM counter to get good FE, so it might take me a while to get used to this (rather new, for me) feature.
Do not worry to much about the RPM Meter. just keep the car in between 60-80kmph with a light foot and you should be fine.
Also the rather hypnotic instantaneous fuel efficiency reading is a great teacher indeed.
btw, I might be visiting Pune next month with my brother-in-law. It's just a one-day visit - he has to pick up some papers and stuff from the place he used to work. Would love to meet up in person, bro.
Sounds great, do give us a buzz when you visit.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 12:30   #250
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What do you think VB should i go ahead and change it?
Oh definitely! But wait… only if you’re continuing to do the mileage runs.

Alternately, keep the current one Shift to Drive! P~R~N~D~S, and enjoy the drive
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 13:29   #251
Team-BHP Support

I don't think it's an obsession with mileage per se; in my case, it was more a dogged attempt to rid people of their weird notion that AT = bad FE.

After touching glorious heights (22 kmpl in my Vento AT) I have returned to the real world with a vengeance, engaging S mode at the drop of a hat (or the tachometer, more precisely!) and cheerfully exposing myself to high-traffic situations (a number of drves into the city, leaving office at peak hour etc.) Today I topped up at Shell and found that my FE (actual, calculated by tank-to-tank method) was exactly 9 kmpl (MID showed 9.5).

So, no- I don't reccomend mdsaab change his signature anytime soon. If you *do*, allow me to steal your P-R-N-D-S one
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:52   #252
Senior - BHPian

LOL! You folks are really confusing me now.
I am confused as to what signature to use.
~~~
ok remember that i mentioned the my netbook broke. Well the screen was damaged and would cost almost half the cost to replace. So instead of replacing it and paying up. Decided to buy the same netbook again exchanging this damaged one in the process. Cost is double of the repair but well worth it for the peace of mind.

So why am i ranting on about this?

well something good came up while at the HP store.
I picked up one of these extremely tiny USB sticks.
Perfect for hooking up in the ANHC as it will hardly take up any space behind the HU.
So you can stuff a few more devices in there.
Check it out.
It's only twice the size of your fingernail. And yet can store 8GB of music.
Attached Images

Last edited by mdsaab : 9th August 2011 at 18:53.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 18:58   #253
Senior - BHPian

And the price of your latest gadget is ?

The netbook screen replacement should be approx 5k. My cousin got his HP 15.4inch replaced at 6k. Guess you got a good exchange price for latest book.
Old 9th August 2011, 19:03   #254
Team-BHP Support

mdsaab, I have that same flash drive in my Swift! Picked it up for 800/- odd at Croma if I am not mistaken.

I love the attention to detail in your pics, throughout this thread, Absolutely fabulous!

When are you getting golden beauty across town? Hgh time we did a swap and drove each others' beauties!
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2011, 19:14   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r
And the price of your latest gadget is ?

The netbook screen replacement should be approx 5k. My cousin got his HP 15.4inch replaced at 6k. Guess you got a good exchange price for latest book.
Replacing the screen will set me back by around 7-8 K
While under exchange i would pay 16K and take home a new netbook. So i chose the later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
mdsaab, I have that same flash drive in my Swift! Picked it up for 800/- odd at Croma if I am not mistaken.

I love the attention to detail in your pics, throughout this thread, Absolutely fabulous!

When are you getting golden beauty across town? Hgh time we did a swap and drove each others' beauties!
I got it for 700 at HP. But i know i paid more. But i had no choice as i needed to backup some data too.
Thanks Noops. The Nitty Gritty's have been delayed due to netbook setback. But stay tuned will be up shortly.
You were supposed to come to our side of town remember. Look forward to meeting up soon. It's been a long time since we met last at the Guderian meet.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote