Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 19th August 2011, 05:48   #331
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
well then let's warm up to the idea of them shall we.
Here are two Bold Beige's.
With two different types of grilles
Which do you prefer?
for there can be only one golden beauty.
Now, that's another surprise mdsaab. Don't tell me you are looking to fit the chrome grille in your Golden Beauty. Or is it that you have loved the car so much that you have made someone else in your family buy it?

As far as the preferences are concerned, I still like the stock grille which has just the right amount of aggression and subtlety. IMO, the chrome grille looks overstyled and flashy, the terms which we usually don't associate with Hondas. Thanks for this warmup, waiting for the big thing!
arvi86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 07:18   #332
dot
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

There is no doubt that the stock grill looks far, far more handsome than the other mickey mouse (rather goofy) grill. If you are really getting the itch to change something, why not try a Caska?
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 08:07   #333
BHPian

Quote:
Which do you prefer?
@mdsaab,

The first one is a monstrosity- wonder why they designed it!! The second one is classy. Please read the initial part of my review,will you-I have mentioned the 2 grills and my preferences.

Mate,overdose of modifications? There is no end to it. Less frills-more essence,right!? Goldie gets no Wannabe Accord type grill-she has an excellent identity.

What do you say about my findings on the brake feel and rpm fluctuations?
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 09:08   #334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Before I go off in a tangent as vb-san and noops will recall on this topic, let me stop.
Ha ha. I am trying to remember which thread it was

Quote:
So you folks like comparo's eh?
well then let's warm up to the idea of them shall we.
Which do you prefer?
Now I know there are ways to make the City look bad add an all-chrome grille
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 09:14   #335
Senior - BHPian

Folks you are all true BHPians.
None of you thought that it was the Golden Beauty. in a one before and one after pic.
Your keen eye's for detail noticed that even though both have gold idols on the dash they are indeed two different cars.
Fantastic folks ~ Take a bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
I like the default one.
The other one IMO is a bit of chrome overdose.

Now Bro don't tell me you are toying the idea of getting that other grill??
Me too. and with the Golden Beauty already having a fair dose of chrome this would end up making it overkill.
No no Cuz not even thinking about it. Was just hanging around in the Society when this idea toyed upon me. and since everyone wants a Comparo i thought why not warm up to the idea
Sort of a teaser comparo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Second one. Protruding, solemn and classy.

The first one looks too flashy, wide-grinned and in-your-face, IMO.
I agree with you. as they say Great mind thinks alike, and so here we ALL are!
Quote:
Originally Posted by arvi86 View Post
Now, that's another surprise mdsaab. Don't tell me you are looking to fit the chrome grille in your Golden Beauty. Or is it that you have loved the car so much that you have made someone else in your family buy it?
LOL! I guess i am full of surprises.
No no the golden beauty stays without the extra overkill chromofication.
This particular Bold beige made it to the society before the Golden Beauty.

As far as the preferences are concerned, I still like the stock grille which has just the right amount of aggression and subtlety. IMO, the chrome grille looks overstyled and flashy, the terms which we usually don't associate with Hondas. Thanks for this warmup, waiting for the big thing!
You will not have to wait long i promise. Dot and I are working on meeting up quick and finishing the Comparo.

Quote:
There is no doubt that the stock grill looks far, far more handsome than the other mickey mouse (rather goofy) grill. If you are really getting the itch to change something, why not try a Caska?
Dot and I had this discussion even before the Golden Beauty came up, yes we were already booked and hooked. But the delivery had not taken place.
Since we had 20K of accessories to play with one option was the chrome grille. But Dot being the great friend that he is, put some sense into me and so we opted out of it. Thankfully this car was in my society and so i could show it to my Mom, who also thought it looked overkill and the stock grille is much better.

No Dot bhai, no changes right now. Maybe sometime later.

Also it's very fair for me to post that our dear friend dot.
Had called up to discuss a possible outing today.
Unfortunately due to some commitments today i could not make it.
Else we would have probably shot the comparo for you today itself.
So Dot was ready and i wasn't today.
Really sorry folks.
But we are trying to meet up real soon and get the comparo underway.
Thanks Dot for agreeing to do it, i actually never asked Dot, i always assumed that we would do it together. and Dot being the great friend that he is obviously agreed. Thanks Buddy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
@mdsaab,

The first one is a monstrosity- wonder why they designed it!! The second one is classy. Please read the initial part of my review,will you-I have mentioned the 2 grills and my preferences.
LOL! I guess it's a special for all of us chrome loving Indians.
I shall head back to your thread to read the fine points on the grilles.
Mate,overdose of modifications? There is no end to it. Less frills-more essence,right!? Goldie gets no Wannabe Accord type grill-she has an excellent identity.
I was not planning to change the grille at all. I was just down in the Society quadrangle when i saw this particular Bold Beige again, and the idea struck me to click and have a mini comparo.
What do you say about my findings on the brake feel and rpm fluctuations?
I am going to take the car out today and try and measure the fluctuations.
But please bear with me as today is a busy day with a lot of meetings scheduled. If i don't check it today, Dot and I will definately check it out during the soon to be launched Comparo.
I can't wait to check out the RPM fluctuations you have mentioned.
But wondering why you did not feel the brake soften up.

Edit :
VB i agree with you, it does look over the top, and takes more away from the ANHC rather than add to it.

Last edited by mdsaab : 19th August 2011 at 09:16. Reason: Added reply to VB
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:12   #336
Senior - BHPian

Folks a little update on the urban FE figures.
Had tanked up after the first service.
This is the result after two days of driving.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img2011081900265.jpg
12.2 kmpl in urban conditions with the AC on.
Covered a distance of around 42 odd kms since we tanked up.

~~~
~Revelation~
Urban Conditions
When driving on a flat road service speed up to 30kmph as quickly as possible.
Keep it at 30kmph in 3rd for as long, unless the road is wide open and you can afford 40kmph at 4th. You will see the best mileage around here.

On an uphill slope try and do the climb at 40kmph in 4th. Judging the traffic in front very carefully. You want to coast down the other side without using the brakes.

On a downhill slope, you folks know what to do right!?! Get off the accelerator and quick!

Hope this helps you in attaining the best possible mileage around town.
Good Luck!
mdsaab is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2011, 22:41   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
12.2 kmpl in urban conditions with the AC on.
Covered a distance of around 42 odd kms since we tanked up.
Hmmm. Interesting and honest find @mdsaab. Hats off to your Jacques Clouseau skills and nice suggestions too; Works for all vehicles whatever the fuel. My Falcon's efficiency too has taken a beating in the city, down from 13.4 to 10.3 in the city.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 16:13   #338
Senior - BHPian

Are you all buckled up folks?
High revving news for you guys.
The ANHC - Civic Comparo has hit it's production stage.
It shall be completed offline in 3 stages, and then posted in one go on a brand new thread.
The Stages
1. Exterior Photo shoot
2. Interior Photo shoot
3. Actual driving impressions and comparisons between the two
Dot and I met up today to finish off stage 1. A few more pics may be clicked of the exteriors.

And so here is a "Teaser" pic for you folks.

Special Special Thanks to Dear Friend Dot for making this happen.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0170.jpg

Yes that's right folks, Surprise, we have for you not ONE but TWO Civics and the ANHC.
L - R
Chicca ~ Golden Beauty ~ Scorponok

Last edited by mdsaab : 20th August 2011 at 16:17.
mdsaab is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 17:44   #339
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Confucius says those who master patience masters the universe.

A word on Chicca; whenever I drive Chicca, it gives me a different feeling than driving Scorponok. Need to quantify the "different feeling".

Last edited by dot : 20th August 2011 at 17:47.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 18:50   #340
BHPian

Quote:

Special Special Thanks to Dear Friend Dot for making this happen.
Thats too wicked of you Cuz, to keep everyone guessing on the tenterhooks

Quote:
L - R
Chicca ~ Golden Beauty ~ Scorponok
Is the Golden beauty shadowing the the 2 mighty CIVICs on her wings ??

Quote:

A word on Chicca; whenever I drive Chicca, it gives me a different feeling than driving Scorponok. Need to quantify the "different feeling".
Yes Dot, please try to quantify the "difference", I would say its tough to do so; as they say every car has a different Character altogather.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 20th August 2011 at 18:51.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 22:11   #341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dot I hope we can help the folks onboard achieve that.
I hope the feeling is good
Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Thats too wicked of you Cuz, to keep everyone guessing on the tenterhooks
LOL! Someone said a little while ago. I may be the Devil.
Well i agree...
I am the Devil in Disguise

Is the Golden beauty shadowing the the 2 mighty CIVICs on her wings ??
You tell me Cuz, what do you think?

Yes Dot, please try to quantify the "difference", I would say its tough to do so; as they say every car has a different Character altogather.
No doubt on that Cuz. No doubt at all.

~~~
Moving along.
A little update on Urban fuel efficiency figures.
The previous 12.2 kmpl was limited to my driving only.
Today our new driver got a chance to get behind the wheel.
Here are the results...
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img2011082000267.jpg
Fuel avg down to 10.1 kmpl. Some heavy foot this guy has. yes a little bit of idling too.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img2011082000268.jpg
92.4kms on the trip so far. Yes we clocked approx 50kms today.

~Revelation~
Drive with a constant foot as far as possible.
Avoid accelerating hard and then cruising along.
Why?
Because when you get back to the accelerator after cruising along, you will see the instantaneous fuel efficiency bars go all the way down. Keeping a constant foot you can keep the instantaneous bars in the almost 20 kmpl range.

Today i also asked my wife if she felt the electric car feeling when i drive at times.
She said she felt it too. Just like the golf cart at our last Taj Vacation.
Yes i had a huge grin on my face after that.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2011, 23:29   #342
Distinguished - BHPian

We really need to collect all of mdsaab's driving tips and assemble them in a separate Stickied thread, calling it "Mdsaab's Magic FE Driving Techniques".

Seriously though, very, very invaluable tips. Specially for drivers like me who tend to be slightly hard on the accelerator pedal while driving inside the city and never enjoy the wonders of good FE figures.

Ever since you started posting them and I tried to follow, mdsaab (I say "tried" because I am still learning, and haven't mastered them yet), I am surprised how much the Rs. 500/- petrol I usually refill has started to stay.

(The 800 does not have a FE indicator, the fuel gauge is the only indicator)

With petrol prices as they are and destined to go upwards in the future, every drop of petrol saved is like a rupee spent wisely. Hats off to your FE tips!

Eagerly looking forward to the comparo. Fantastic teaser pic, btw. Tough to pick one, but I feel that the City is holding it's own between the Civics. It's like Daniel Craig standing between Sean Connery and Roger Moore in the ultimate showdown of the 007s!
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 08:39   #343
Senior - BHPian

In Bold Buddy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
We really need to collect all of mdsaab's driving tips and assemble them in a separate Stickied thread, calling it "Mdsaab's Magic FE Driving Techniques".
I am Flattered.
Seriously though, very, very invaluable tips. Specially for drivers like me who tend to be slightly hard on the accelerator pedal while driving inside the city and never enjoy the wonders of good FE figures.
You Just made my day, Thank You!
Ever since you started posting them and I tried to follow, mdsaab (I say "tried" because I am still learning, and haven't mastered them yet), I am surprised how much the Rs. 500/- petrol I usually refill has started to stay.
I am glad that you have improved your urban fuel efficiency. It's also good for the environment.
(The 800 does not have a FE indicator, the fuel gauge is the only indicator)
With the ANHC things become so easy, especially due to that fantastic instantaneous fuel indicator. That has truly been my teacher.
With petrol prices as they are and destined to go upwards in the future, every drop of petrol saved is like a rupee spent wisely. Hats off to your FE tips!
Thank you once again
Eagerly looking forward to the comparo. Fantastic teaser pic, btw. Tough to pick one, but I feel that the City is holding it's own between the Civics. It's like Daniel Craig standing between Sean Connery and Roger Moore in the ultimate showdown of the 007s!
Extremely well put, i just love your viewpoint on the teaser pic.
Well after reading your post, when i look at my face in the mirror
it looks something like this ~
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 11:39   #344
BHPian

Thanks for the nitty gritty snaps, mdsaab. Well brought out! I like the default grill. It has a smiling and water fall effect. Some of my colleagues think it has a 70mm smile and its a put off. The other grill gives it a distinct look, but I think there is a chrome overdose treatment. AS GTO mentioned on another thread, there can be lots of chrome treatment but subtle and that makes it look good.
sudeepg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2011, 12:13   #345
BHPian

Boy o Boy. Friends, two of the best threads on ANHC running currently at the moment.

The mdsaab thread over here and the other one is by Charthom. You bet you will find all the information you need for your ANHCs and much more by digging deep into these two threads.

Keep them rolling team.
kirantp is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote