Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 24th August 2011, 08:44   #361
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I feel the MID can be discounted from anywhere between .5 to 1 kmpl.
In case of the ANHC i find it to be around .7 to 1.2
Yes it is a rather enthusiastic MID.

You could also take a look at hometown.
Yes its an ANHC itself, no less.

Would picking up these items from Spar or Hometown make sense, rather than hunting for them at a nearby accessories shop. Anything to be wary of?

Also in a bit of a quandry, need to make a weekend trip next weekend, and have only done 160kms so far. With my regular movement, it would just about go to 350 or so. Is it safe enough to go on a 1000km round trip without having undergone the first service. Or should I put the miles quickly (how) and opt in for the 1st service before the trip?
pravingmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 09:25   #362
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
Yes its an ANHC itself, no less.
Fantastic! A Great choice indeed.

Would picking up these items from Spar or Hometown make sense, rather than hunting for them at a nearby accessories shop. Anything to be wary of?
Nothing to be wary of. Just make sure you only buy reputed brands. I have picked up a lot of Formula 1 detailing stuff from Spar. Yes maybe your neighborhood accessories shop might be able to give it to you for a little less.

Also in a bit of a quandry, need to make a weekend trip next weekend, and have only done 160kms so far. With my regular movement, it would just about go to 350 or so. Is it safe enough to go on a 1000km round trip without having undergone the first service. Or should I put the miles quickly (how) and opt in for the 1st service before the trip?
I do not think there should be any problem.
Also nothing is done in the 1st service.
It's just a check up with a wash.
The engine oil is NOT changed.
Try not to always keep a constant speed. Vary your speeds.
Keep it in the 60 band. then 80 band etc.
Do not over rev the engine as it is still running in.

Well the debate of running in is a long one.
Some feel you can go ahead and have a blast right from delivery itself.
Some prefer o do their own run in technique.
I say why take a chance.
Drive relaxed for the 1st 1K kms.
then go and have a blast.
But in no way does this mean that a highway trip is not possible.
Go ahead and enjoy yourself.
All the best
Drive Safe.
and look forward to your review and pics when you get back.
If you need any further help with the Spar ~ Hometown stuff.
Do post.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 09:58   #363
BHPian

Quote:
Also nothing is done in the 1st service.
It's just a check up with a wash.
The engine oil is NOT changed.

I say why take a chance.
Drive relaxed for the 1st 1K kms.
then go and have a blast.
But in no way does this mean that a highway trip is not possible.
Thanks.

What about the T-BHP recommendation of oil change in the first service. Is it safe to do as Honda SA (and not change the oil)?

Not hit the 5th gear yet so perhaps the trip will be a good time to slot that in. Do you recommend speed variations on longer trips at every 5 minutes or so?

More than having a blast, my worry is about reliability and avoiding break-downs of any kind during the run-in and before the 1st service. I hope a highway trip will do more good than bad.
Old 24th August 2011, 13:14   #364
BHPian

Thanks to the multiple threads in this forum on the ANHC (mdsaab and carthom), and exhaustive info on current deals (specially from mdsaab), took delivery of my Silver ANHC VAT on Sat.
Will try and start a thread of my own to post my impressions.
Initial impressions (only 30 kms driving done)
* AT is a boon for the pathetic Bangalore traffic
* Beige interiors are a dirt magnet. The door handles especially. Will have to get leather/art on them I guess.
* Engine is smooth. FE sucks. Have started practicing the tips in this thread. Lets see the results.

Not looking out for fancy mods. Only looking out for these. Anyone can point me to a reliable source and cost for these?
1. 3D Mats
2. Seat covers, with some work on the door (to cover the fabric handles)
3. What polish should I go for to protect the exterior. Said no to teflon. So need to get something else done.
Saw kirantp's pics after detailing. Looks great. Does that help protect the paint for longer. How much does it cost, and where in B'lore?
Bh.P is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 13:49   #365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bh.P View Post
Thanks to the multiple threads in this forum on the ANHC (mdsaab and carthom), and exhaustive info on current deals (specially from mdsaab), took delivery of my Silver ANHC VAT on Sat.
* Beige interiors are a dirt magnet. The door handles especially. Will have to get leather/art on them I guess.
* Engine is smooth. FE sucks. Have started practicing the tips in this thread. Lets see the results.

Not looking out for fancy mods. Only looking out for these. Anyone can point me to a reliable source and cost for these?
1. 3D Mats
3. What polish should I go for to protect the exterior. Said no to teflon. So need to get something else done.
Saw kirantp's pics after detailing. Looks great. Does that help protect the paint for longer. How much does it cost, and where in B'lore?
Awesome ! Congrats ! VAT is a fantastic car and even being an AT it is amazingly fuel efficient.

Regarding teflon coating or polishing, almost all major cities in India have 3M's official stores now. I had watched a review of the 3M store in Pune on NDTV Car&Bike show and they charge 7k for a full package and prices raning between 1k-5k for seperate jobs. Do the coating only if you are doing it from 3M's official store, otherwise the quality cannot be guaranteed.

Edit: Found the address of 3M official store in Bangalore:
3M India Limited
Plot No. 48-51, Electronics City,
Hosur Road,
Bangalore - 560100
Tel No : +91-80-2852 0203/ 6659 5999
Fax No : +91-80-2852 0157

P.S. Here's a thread dedicated to 3M car care
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/bangal...bangalore.html (3M Car Care (HSR Layout, Bangalore))

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 24th August 2011 at 13:56.
ajay_satpute is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 14:13   #366
BHPian

Quote:

FE totally depends on your driving style. Please follow mdsaab's tip to better it for an AT.

1. 3D Mats

If its a new car wait for 30-45 till the paint breath's out gases. If from VIN its a early manufactured then go for it.

I would suggest don't go for Teflon or outside detailing job if you are interested in DIY. Checkout the below thread for tips on DIY at fraction of the cost
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/102011-superb-car-detailing-guide-wish-we-had-kind-knowledge-home.html

It was done by Ultimate Detailerz who are our own knowlegable Team-BHP guys which do fantastic job.

Get in touch with Mohsin or Nirmal
Contact: Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More
Email: ultimatedetailerz@gmail.com
Phone9591990864/9916120561/9449014454

Congratulations!!
Replying in bold in the quote above for other queries which I can answer.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 24th August 2011 at 14:15.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2011, 14:39   #367
BHPian

Quote:

1. 3D Mats
In crawling traffic, I find that slotting into 1st gear (on the MT) does offer slight resistance, the other ones are smooth.

I too am on the lookout for the same items almost and eager to know the right options.

For the moment I picked up universal rubber mats (transparent) from Reliance Autozone until the 3D ones are picked up. They are not perfect fits with respect to the dimensions, but come with good grip what with the blunted spikes underneath holding on tight to the fabric mats.
Old 24th August 2011, 18:42   #368
Senior - BHPian

In Bold
Quote:
Thanks.

What about the T-BHP recommendation of oil change in the first service. Is it safe to do as Honda SA (and not change the oil)?
This again is a personal choice and is highly debatable.
I did not change the oil of the Civic at the first service.
Nor did i change the oil for the ANHC.
So you are pretty safe either way.
Not hit the 5th gear yet so perhaps the trip will be a good time to slot that in. Do you recommend speed variations on longer trips at every 5 mins.
Do not stress yourself on this. Just do not drive trying to hold onto a particular speed. and you will see that anyway Indian normal driving conditions never allow you to maintain a steady speed. Either on the Highway or in urban conditions. Only very few roads in India allow you to do the same.
More than having a blast, my worry is about reliability and avoiding break-downs of any kind during the run-in and before the 1st service. I hope a highway trip will do more good than bad.
Do not worry at all. The Highway trip will do not bad at all. Infact you will be stretching it's wings. These Honda machines are extremely reliable and can provide a lakh of kms without much fuss. or look at it from another way.
Atleast half a decade of relatively trouble free service.
Quote:

1. 3D Mats
Fantastic choice mate.
Firstly Congratulations and welcome to 2 clubs.
1. The ANHC club.
2. The AT brigade ~ the new motto of which is Shift to Drive!
Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your silver beauty.
Looking forward to some pics and a review from you.

Regarding the Q's
1. 3D Mats ~ Kagu 3D mats can be picked up from any reliable car accessories shop. Should cost you between 4-5K
4,500 is the current price i heard.

2. Seat covers ~ you have a couple of options.

a) artificial leather (what i mean more is PU) ~ this is the cheapest option. Should cost you around 5-10K
b) Leatherette ~ This would cost you around 25K and your Honda dealer may be able to do it for you.
c) Genuine Leather ~ This would cost you approx 40-50K

Stanley are the best in the business here in India. So you could look into them for options b & c.

and since you are from Bangalore. I am sure you know where Stanley is located. If needed PM me and i will give you the details.

I am not answering point 3. as it has been answered superbly by Ajay & Remi Cuz.
Thanks Guys.

Drive Safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 24th August 2011 at 18:43.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 07:53   #369
BHPian

Quote:
In Bold
Do not worry at all. The Highway trip will do not bad at all. Infact you will be stretching it's wings. These Honda machines are extremely reliable and can provide a lakh of kms without much fuss. or look at it from another way.
Atleast half a decade of relatively trouble free service.
Kudos to the official fuel conservationist cum soothsayer of T-BHP

And the official spokesperson of Honda who will put any official of theirs to shame.

I understand the concern about of running out of fuel during a long expedition- but is it advisable to carry highly volatile and inflammable distilled fuels in just ordinary Jerry cans-esp in a not -all-metal car like City which has too much of inflammable material in it. ? These days there are many gas stations everywhere and unless you are going to some really deserted place there should not be much problem. For out of the world adventures-the City is not suitable.Read Libran's account of Valley of flowers pilgrimage. Really deserted place-filler her up before hand.And unsure-don't venture.

BH.P may try Karlsson too-for leather seats. They are Bangalore specific.

Star mats from Sai mag wheels appear to be of similar design as 3D mats.Very attractive and inexpensive in comparison(see the snaps in mohitg's post in the 3D kagu mats thread).He may check them out too.

Last edited by charthom : 25th August 2011 at 07:57.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:07   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Kudos to the official fuel conservationist cum soothsayer of T-BHP

And the official spokesperson of Honda who will put any official of theirs to shame.

I understand the concern about of running out of fuel during a long expedition- but is it advisable to carry highly volatile and inflammable distilled fuels in just ordinary Jerry cans-esp in a not -all-metal car like City which has too much of inflammable material in it. ? These days there are many gas stations everywhere and unless you are going to some really deserted place there should not be much problem. For out of the world adventures-the City is not suitable.Read Libran's account of Valley of flowers pilgrimage. Really deserted place-filler her up before hand.And unsure-don't venture.

Star mats from Sai mag wheels appear to be of similar design as 3D mats.Very attractive and inexpensive in comparison(see the snaps in mohitg's post in the 3D kagu mats thread).He may check them out too.
Thanks for the kinds words buddy.
Yes i agree with you, it's not the best of idea to carry around fuel in your can. But in some very few situations it's absolutely necessary. I have run in to that situation only once so far, but i thank my stars that we had some fuel. It's better to have a can and take it only when you are unsure of getting petrol in some offbeat place. Or if you are unsure about the quality of petrol available. I have once filled up at a place and the car really suffered because of the low quality petrol filled in.
Alternatively you could use the Jerry can to carry washing water.
If you do go somewhere offbeat for a little camp or so.

Thanks for posting the other options available in the market.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:26   #371
BHPian

Quote:
2. Puncture repair kit.
3. Tyre Inflator.
5. Pair of jump cables. In case yours is an AT.
Any brands for the repair kit/ inflator? Curious to know about jump cables for an AT and not for an MT? Mine is an MT by the way.

Quote:
Intra city drives have so far given me a chance to go upto 60 and I did not push it further. The RPM guage was hovering around 2000. Given this just wondering how I would be able to take it up to 80 without crossing 2000 rpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post

Looking at seat covers, door cladding, arm rest covers. Art leather or a combination? What would be the recommendation.

Also do you recommend gear knob covers?

The metallic strip in Star mats seems to be well thought out. Is Sai mag wheels in Bangalore too?

Looking forward to suggestions/experience on security with respect to steering locks or gear locks for the ANHC?
Old 25th August 2011, 09:36   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any brands for the repair kit/ inflator? Curious to know about jump cables for an AT and not for an MT? Mine is an MT by the way.

Intra city drives have so far given me a chance to go upto 60 and I did not push it further. The RPM guage was hovering around 2000. Given this just wondering how I would be able to take it up to 80 without crossing 2000 rpm.
For the inflator / puncture repair kits there are many brands out there.
Visit your local trusted tyre dealer for a look at some options.

It's always better to have a pair of jump cables even if yours is a MT.
But with a MT you can also push start the vehicle in case the battery dies out. but with an AT that is not possible. and hence a jump cable is essential for an AT.

At 60kmph in 5th you should be able to hold 1500 rpm
You can surely take it upto 80 kmph without a worry.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 09:39   #373
BHPian

Noticed a problem in the last two days. After a cold start, I hear a faint knocking sound (two-five knocks) from the rear suspension I think, in the 1st and 2nd gear, on turns. This goes away after half a kilometre's drive and is not a regular occurence. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:47   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Noticed a problem in the last two days. After a cold start, I hear a faint knocking sound (two-five knocks) from the rear suspension I think, in the 1st and 2nd gear, on turns. This goes away after half a kilometre's drive and is not a regular occurence. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.
Do you park on a flat surface? or is your parking on a slope?
usually in AT's you some morning hear the brakes make a sound when you initially set off. This then settles down within a minute or so.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th August 2011, 10:54   #375
BHPian

Quote:

It's always better to have a pair of jump cables even if yours is a MT.
But with a MT you can also push start the vehicle in case the battery dies out. but with an AT that is not possible. and hence a jump cable is essential for an AT.
Still better you can have a Jumpstarter kit like i have

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...-vehicles.html (Jump Starters for Auto Transmission Vehicles)
shamanth is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote