Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 25th August 2011, 18:44   #376
BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Do you park on a flat surface? or is your parking on a slope?
usually in AT's you some morning hear the brakes make a sound when you initially set off. This then settles down within a minute or so.
Overnight parking is on a flat surface but day times its on an incline. You guess this is something to with the brakes?

However the sound clicks come during a turn (right after the turn when I begin to touch the throttle), and perhaps at the opposite side from the turn is what I remember. Wonder if it has to do with bearings or drive shaft or oil?
pravingmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 09:47   #377
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Continuing with the Nitty Gritty's once more.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0048.jpg

Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0049.jpg
The Boot is massive. Great depth, good height, shaped well. I never worry about fitting things in there. I even managed to fit in a trampoline which we picked up for our daughter. This would have never fitted in the Civic.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0050.jpg
The Fuel cap. A rather funny thing happened when we filled up the Golden Beauty for the first time. I could not find the fuel release lever on the inside. all i could see was the boot release. I was puzzled and frantically searching for the lever to open the cap. The Shell pump attendant realized my predicament and came to my rescue explaining that you just tap it on the outside to open.
I was relieved to find out how it is done. but a little worried about the safety aspect then. A quick call to our friendly sales rep on reaching home. Clarified that when you look the car the fuel cap too gets looked. so one cannot open it if the car is lock. Thank god for that, else the fuel tank would be open for all to tamper with.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0051.jpg
The MRF's ~ folks do not want them, i for one am quite happy with them.
The ride maybe a tad more bouncy than the Michelin's if the pressure is not spot on correct. The road noise isn't much. the ride when the pressure is correct is quite pliant and plush. I have a feeling they will last longer than the Michelin's too. So overall i am happy with them. No regrets.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0052.jpg
Nice 5 spoke alloys, look great. Only grouse the spare is not Alloy so you get 5 spokes but only 4 alloys
Since we are at it, wish there were discs all around too.
Though i am happy with the stopping power of the ANHC. It's always nice to have discs all around ~ maybe facelift time then.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0053.jpg
The front Seatbelts adjust for height. It's a very handy feature to have.
For those front passengers who do not like to wear seatbelt, it helps them get a more comfortable position. as for the driver, along with the seat height adjust and steering adjustment, having the seatbelt adjust for height helps in getting that ultra comfy driving position.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0054.jpg
Unfortunately all the good adjustments end at the front, the back headrests do not adjust. which is a feature sorely missed. It means taking a nice nap on the backseat is not super comfortable. No not for us BHPians who don't let go of the steering. But the other folks.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0055.jpg
The central tunnel in the rear is almost flat. So it's comfortable for the rear passenger in the middle. They get their share of legroom and so three seating abreast in the back is not much of a problem foot space wise
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img_0056.jpg
This little cubby in the centre of the rear is quite useful. Either keep your cups, your mobile, or other small knick knacks. Especially since there are no door pockets in the rear doors, this cubby is quite essential

Last edited by mdsaab : 26th August 2011 at 09:51.
mdsaab is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:02   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Fuel cap. A rather funny thing happened when we filled up the Golden Beauty for the first time. I could not find the fuel release lever on the inside. all i could see was the boot release. I was puzzled and frantically searching for the lever to open the cap. The Shell pump attendant realized my predicament and came to my rescue explaining that you just tap it on the outside to open.
I was relieved to find out how it is done. but a little worried about the safety aspect then. A quick call to our friendly sales rep on reaching home. Clarified that when you look the car the fuel cap too gets looked. so one cannot open it if the car is lock. Thank god for that, else the fuel tank would be open for all to tamper with.
Hi mdsaab,
Nice feature to have and looks convenient.
But does mean more electronic and also the fact that if the car is unlocked/running someone can open the fuel lid. There must be some guideline in the manual for some personal settings or pre set settings as standard.
Like - fuel lid can't be opened if the car engine is running - fuel lid can't be opened without pressing the remote key to open doors when engine not running...etc.
Do let us know after reading the manual.
Would be interesting to learn.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:09   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
I think all the manual says is "Fuel lid locks or unlocks in conjunction with the driver's door"
pravingmh is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 10:17   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh View Post
I think all the manual says is "Fuel lid locks or unlocks in conjunction with the driver's door"
Thanks !
Does that mean that only if the driver's door is ajar physically does the fuel lid open on tapping ? That sounds safe but driver needs to open door physically when he/she needs to fill fuel. Looks safe.
Or is it that with the drivers door lock (electronically) open (without the door needing to be physically open) the fuel lid can be tapped open ?
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 15:44   #381
BHPian

Quote:
is it that with the drivers door lock (electronically) open (without the door needing to be physically open) the fuel lid can be tapped open ?
The second part stated above is correct & applicable for ANHC.

BTW Punekars & Bangloreans interested in car detailing check out the below post.
I will be attending this for sure. mdsaab & dot this is in your own area, how about you guys??
Quote:
Originally Posted by gopa99 View Post
A Meguiars Car Detailing clinic is happening at the 3M Car Care centers this September. The show is being hosted by Meguiar's Veteran Matt Davies.

Bangalore - 3M Car Care Dollars Colony - 4th September 11AM (For directions, pls Contact Mr Amit Shah:( 9845273525)

Pune - 3M Car Care Viman Nagar - 3rd September 11AM (For Directions, pls contact Mr Seshu Rao 9225805476)

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 26th August 2011 at 16:01.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 20:31   #382
BHPian

Quote:
I have run in to that situation only once so far, but i thank my stars that we had some fuel.
Most welcome Mate.That must have been scary!Glad you could overcome it.

Quote:
Alternatively you could use the Jerry can to carry washing water.
Only don't fill up the fuel tank inadvertently.

My concern is-the jerry can may spill out esp on bad roads and there is a higher probability of a fire hazard.

Quote:
Looking at seat covers, door cladding, arm rest covers. Art leather or a combination? What would be the recommendation.
I have original factory fitted leatherette seat covers,art leather door claddings and front arm rest cover. Look good.

Quote:
Also do you recommend gear knob covers?
Honda manual gear knob is very good-however you could opt for leather ones.

Quote:
The metallic strip in Star mats seems to be well thought out. Is Sai mag wheels in Bangalore too?
No idea.You could google it.

Quote:
Noticed a problem in the last two days. After a cold start, I hear a faint knocking sound (two-five knocks) from the rear suspension I think, in the 1st and 2nd gear, on turns. This goes away after half a kilometre's drive and is not a regular occurence. Just wondering if anyone has experienced something like this.
Could be mild knocking in the engine becoming prominent in the exhaust trunking.During cold start any engine is susceptible to mild misfiring due to slight ignition delay of the fuel-however small the time period may be. Only drive out after the engine warms up.

I hope you are not carrying too many passengers/luggages so that the rear suspension bottoms out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
Still better you can have a Jumpstarter kit like i have
Thanks for the link,shamanth. A great idea. Thanks for sharing.
charthom is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2011, 20:48   #383
BHPian

Quote:
The MRF's ~ folks do not want them, i for one am quite happy with them.
The ride maybe a tad more bouncy than the Michelin's if the pressure is not spot on correct. The road noise isn't much. the ride when the pressure is correct is quite pliant and plush. I have a feeling they will last longer than the Michelin's too. So overall i am happy with them. No regrets.
Thanks for the Nittie Gritties,mdsaab! Here's another person happy with the ZVTVs No issues-I may not even upgrade!!

Quote:
Like - fuel lid can't be opened if the car engine is running - fuel lid can't be opened without pressing the remote key to open doors when engine not running...etc.
None- if the car is unlocked the fuel lid can be opened-engine running or stopped.

Quote:
Thanks !
Does that mean that only if the driver's door is ajar physically does the fuel lid open on tapping ? That sounds safe but driver needs to open door physically when he/she needs to fill fuel. Looks safe.
Or is it that with the drivers door lock (electronically) open (without the door needing to be physically open) the fuel lid can be tapped open ?
This question is very interesting. Will check out and revert.

Mods-please excuse the inadvertent back to back posts
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 08:46   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi mdsaab,
But does mean more electronic and also the fact that if the car is unlocked/running someone can open the fuel lid. There must be some guideline in the manual for some personal settings or pre set settings as standard.
I shall check this out and revert back. I will physically try a couple of scenarios and check when one can open the fuel lid and when one can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
The second part stated above is correct & applicable for ANHC.
Thanks Cuz.
BTW Punekars & Bangloreans interested in car detailing check out the below post.
I will be attending this for sure. mdsaab & dot this is in your own area, how about you guys??
I would have loved too, but i am in the middle of some work at the moment which will probably make it difficult for me to be there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Thanks for the Nittie Gritties,mdsaab! Here's another person happy with the ZVTVs No issues-I may not even upgrade!!
Yes you can also use the Jerry can for the reason you were thinking of
But please make sure you remember that it's not petrol else we could have a problem.

Yes i am happy with the MRF's
I am glad that you too are happy with them.
They aren't all that bad at all.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 09:56   #385
Senior - BHPian

Originally Posted by Guderian
Hi mdsaab,

The City locking is not engaged with engine running thus locking or unlocking does not require pressing key unlock rather the door lock is enough for unlocking every door and fuel lid. It is highly unsafe with kids on board, kid lock is a painful exercise every time you do it for young ones. My BIL kids did not like the fact that they can't just open the door at the instant when the car is stationary and create pandemonium in a jiffy

At the fuel station all door have to be unlocked again unsafe for women drivers.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 16:23   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks !

Quote:
I shall check this out and revert back. I will physically try a couple of scenarios and check when one can open the fuel lid and when one can't.
Just checked this today.

1. You unlock the car from inside using the central lock on driver side.The fuel lid may be opened now.
2. You unlock the car with the remote from outside. Again the fuel lid may be unlocked.

Quote:
Yes you can also use the Jerry can for the reason you were thinking of
But please make sure you remember that it's not petrol else we could have a problem.
A little extra knocking and misfiring.

Quote:
In full agreement-but sometimes ignorance is bliss! Don't know how Michelins behave on City!!
charthom is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2011, 16:35   #387
BHPian

Quote:
From what I understand, MRFs are usually harder tyres. Harder sidewall. May not have the best grip, so the braking distance may be a bit longer. However they usually last longer too. Also are lesser prone to punctures or damage on rough driving conditions.

Though the Apollo Accelares on my Magnum are soft and have very well controlled road noise (usually not so good with MRFs) and give a very plush ride, at times, I think I may have been better off with MRFs (some on the forum may frown on this remark). Will add more on this at the appropriate place (my ownership report)
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 09:32   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
The City locking is not engaged with engine running thus locking or unlocking does not require pressing key unlock rather the door lock is enough for unlocking every door and fuel lid. It is highly unsafe with kids on board, kid lock is a painful exercise every time you do it for young ones. My BIL kids did not like the fact that they can't just open the door at the instant when the car is stationary and create pandemonium in a jiffy
True auto lock is a nifty feature to have. but am so used to locking the car and checking the window lock too on start up. It's like following a pattern now.
I step in the car after everyone is onboard. I first lock all the doors, then check the window lock is engaged. Wear my seatbelt and then start and we're off.
What i do not like in some cars is when you switch off the engine the doors unlock. Here is where i prefer Honda's way.
At the fuel station all door have to be unlocked again unsafe for women drivers.
This is the main Q, i wanted to know if i can unlock the fuel lid when the driver's door is locked. with the driver inside.
Ofcourse you can momentarily unlock the car for the fuel lid to open and then lock it again. But in that case Honda would have been better off offering a lever to pull to unlock the fuel lid. Otherwise safety is definately compromised.
Quote:
Originally Posted by charthom View Post
Just checked this today.

1. You unlock the car from inside using the central lock on driver side.The fuel lid may be opened now.
Problem is now all doors are unlocked.
2. You unlock the car with the remote from outside. Again the fuel lid may be unlocked.

A little extra knocking and misfiring
LOL! You BET!

In full agreement-but sometimes ignorance is bliss! Don't know how Michelins behave on City!!
Yes in this case ignorance is truly bliss.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
From what I understand, MRFs are usually harder tyres. Harder sidewall. May not have the best grip, so the braking distance may be a bit longer. However they usually last longer too. Also are lesser prone to punctures or damage on rough driving conditions.

Though the Apollo Accelares on my Magnum are soft and have very well controlled road noise (usually not so good with MRFs) and give a very plush ride, at times, I think I may have been better off with MRFs (some on the forum may frown on this remark). Will add more on this at the appropriate place (my ownership report)
I do not know why folks frown so much upon MRF's they are not horrible tyres at all. They may not be the best, but they do the job decently.
Shall read more about your experience on your wonderful thread.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 10:18   #389
Senior - BHPian

For all those wanting the urban fuel efficiency here it is. Please note that the car was driven more by the driver this time round than myself.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img2011082600274.jpg
277.7 kms for this trip.
Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City-img2011082600275.jpg
the MID shows 9.7 kmpl.

we filled it to the brim and in went 30.5 liters.
So....
277.7 divided by 30.5 = 9.10 kmpl.

So we can say that the MID is off by .6 kmpl
Which is pretty decent.

Yes driving wiser can easily get you a better urban fuel mileage.
But it's not that bad at all with the driver figure either.
So overall i am really happy.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 10:37   #390
BHPian

For a moment I thought you set a record with 27.7 kpl
pravingmh is offline   Reply With Quote