Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2011, 14:40   #391
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pravingmh
For a moment I thought you set a record with 27.7 kpl
LOL! That would have been something.
You know the max i achieved was 25 something.
The driver though with his rather un-economical driving has brought the avg down too
8.5kmpl
This avg is after filling up at the pump and resetting the trip. And includes the whole driving of yesterday.
So like i told you folks the accelerator is very sensitive. You need to be have a feather touch. This along with urban traffic driving sense. Of when to start cruising like when approaching a traffic light etc.
Following these simple steps will ensure a higher mileage in the range of 10-12 kmpl within urban conditions.
Attached Images
 
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th August 2011, 19:02   #392
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default

And here you have it.
I regained my reigns on the Golden Beauty today as the driver had a holiday.
And the fuel mileage including idling took a big jump.
Up from 8.5kmpl to.10.3kmpl
The trip reading 123.8kms.
Unfortunately do not have a snap of the driver trip.
But i am guessing he did.50-60kms yesterday.
So you can clearly see what a difference it makes when you.drive sensibly.

Also checked out the fuel lid unlock conditions.
It is very sad indeed that the driver door has to be unlocked to open the lid. I guess one will have to unlock all doors for a couple of seconds while the fuel pump attendant opens the fuel lid to fill her up.
On second thought for someone who gets out of the vehicle to personally supervise the fuel filling its not much of an issue. But for a lady alone in the car late at night, this may be a rather unwanted feature.
Drive Safe!
Attached Images
  

Last edited by mdsaab : 28th August 2011 at 19:19.
mdsaab is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:11   #393
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I regained my reigns on the Golden Beauty today as the driver had a holiday.
And the fuel mileage including idling took a big jump.
Up from 8.5kmpl to.10.3kmpl
How come an automatic gives so much difference from driver to owner. In a manual, I can understand: clutch riding kills FE. But the scope is absent on an AT. I guess the only answer is sensible driving techniques.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:19   #394
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

How come an automatic gives so much difference from driver to owner. In a manual, I can understand: clutch riding kills FE. But the scope is absent on an AT. I guess the only answer is sensible driving techniques.
You are absolutely right Dotty.
Its sensible driving techniques.
Plus
Being extremely feather light on the throttle.
The driver accelerates hard. Does not judge the traffic ahead and then brakes harder than i do.
When i drive i try to keep the flow as smooth as possible. Accelerate gently, when i see traffic up ahead i let off the throttle and coast towards it. This also means i have to brake less when i finally aproach the traffic.
Also possibly adding to this mileage increase could be the fact that it was Sunday yesterday. So the roads were a little less crowded than on saturday when the driver was at the wheel.
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:36   #395
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab

You are absolutely right Dotty.
Its sensible driving techniques.
Plus
Being extremely feather light on the throttle.
The driver accelerates hard. Does not judge the traffic ahead and then brakes harder than i do.
When i drive i try to keep the flow as smooth as possible. Accelerate gently, when i see traffic up ahead i let off the throttle and coast towards it. This also means i have to brake less when i finally aproach the traffic.
Also possibly adding to this mileage increase could be the fact that it was Sunday yesterday. So the roads were a little less crowded than on saturday when the driver was at the wheel.
The difference I felt with our erstwhile driver as well. The learning for me is, the drivers are doing their duty/job and they do it not for the love or enthusiasm of driving a vehicle. More so if you are on the road for a very long time you tend to accelerate hard and brake hard in order to tune your mind that you will get to destination faster and thus the jib will be done with. However, this is not the case with you. You have time at hand and know if you are getting late or on time. The driver needs to be instructed at length to achieve what you demand of him. Speak your mind out but as an advice rather than scolding him, also if he is educated try to tell him more about the tech and he too would explore the options.

I am currently looking for a decent driver, I am definitely looking for a passionate and experienced one.
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:45   #396
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hyderabad/Blr
Posts: 648
Thanked: 151 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

For shell super petrol, i am seeing increase in mileage. with Normal petrol i see the mileage of around 9 kmpl, With the same road and driving condition, i am seeing the mileage of around 10.5 - 11 kmpl.
shamanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 10:48   #397
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth
For shell super petrol, i am seeing increase in mileage. with Normal petrol i see the mileage of around 9 kmpl, With the same road and driving condition, i am seeing the mileage of around 10.5 - 11 kmpl.
And what's the price difference? Higher Octane is better for controlled ignition and maximum effeciency extraction, no doubt you are seeing a gain, it will be more evident on high speed driving as well. You are lucky to have Shell bunk. Cheers!
Sn1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 14:18   #398
Senior - BHPian
 
mdsaab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,624
Thanked: 446 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r

The difference I felt with our erstwhile driver as well. The learning for me is, the drivers are doing their duty/job and they do it not for the love or enthusiasm of driving a vehicle. More so if you are on the road for a very long time you tend to accelerate hard and brake hard in order to tune your mind that you will get to destination faster and thus the jib will be done with. However, this is not the case with you. You have time at hand and know if you are getting late or on time. The driver needs to be instructed at length to achieve what you demand of him. Speak your mind out but as an advice rather than scolding him, also if he is educated try to tell him more about the tech and he too would explore the options.

I am currently looking for a decent driver, I am definitely looking for a passionate and experienced one.
You are perfectly right with your analysis.
But to be very honest in all these years this is the best driver we have had thus far.
And you wont believe it but he was asking me about the instantaneous fuel efficiency meter the other day.
And was very interested in how it works.
But ultimately these guys have been driving for years and as they say old habits die hard.
But never have i ever scolded this or any other driver.
I only step in with my words when they drive rashly or keep cutting lanes etc.
Which thankfully he doesnt do.
Being a enthu myself, i know how horrible it is when someone does some back seat driving.
And hence keep my mouth shut, untill its absolutely necessary.

Regarding the shell fuel consumption. I have had a rather strange experience with the Civic.
Where in a was actually getting less mileage compared to filling normal petrol at one of the govt bunks.
It was really strange indeed.
Yet to analyze the situation with the ANHC.
mdsaab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 15:36   #399
BHPian
 
mm403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pune
Posts: 156
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

@mdsaab - Have been following your driving techniques to the last dot. Have been able to get an average in the city with AC around 13.5kmpl My travel route in city has been restricted between Chandani Chowk - Swargate - Hadapasar
mm403 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:08   #400
BHPian
 
charthom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Cochin
Posts: 652
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

All roads lead to Rome- all my earnest endeavours with various techniques lead to a FE of 8.5-9.0 in Cochin City. But whenever I can stretch my wings even briefly,I am immediately observing an instantaneous rise in the average FE. Will comment more after the rainy season.

mdsaab-will unlocking all doors for about 2 minutes can be much of a safety hazard at a gas station? In my i10,you have to unlock the doors to open the boot lid.You unlock the doors,someone can pick up your luggage/spare tyre and run- or in the case of a lady-even trot away grinning ear to ear!!

This said,a conventional lid for the fuel filler is much more sensible.
charthom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 17:27   #401
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
How come an automatic gives so much difference from driver to owner. In a manual, I can understand: clutch riding kills FE. But the scope is absent on an AT. I guess the only answer is sensible driving techniques.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
You are absolutely right Dotty.
Its sensible driving techniques.
Plus
Being extremely feather light on the throttle.
The driver accelerates hard. Does not judge the traffic ahead and then brakes harder than i do.
When i drive i try to keep the flow as smooth as possible. Accelerate gently, when i see traffic up ahead i let off the throttle and coast towards it. This also means i have to brake less when i finally aproach the traffic.
Also possibly adding to this mileage increase could be the fact that it was Sunday yesterday. So the roads were a little less crowded than on saturday when the driver was at the wheel.
To add a bit to it. The speed one drives at makes a big difference in FE. It changes a fair bit after say 60kmph. A lot more significant after say 80kmph or so. That has also had a significant impact on car design and making them more aerodynamic.

While the engine on the whole may get more efficient at a higher speed (at peak torque in the highest gear), the big increase in wind resistance makes the car less efficient at higher speeds.

Besides the above, the driver may be driving it a lot faster.
Which of course, as mdsaab mentioned, leads to higher braking (hence lost fuel/energy) too.
Poitive is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 19:23   #402
dot
Senior - BHPian
 
dot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ban Chang
Posts: 1,681
Thanked: 714 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post

That has also had a significant impact on car design and making them more aerodynamic.

While the engine on the whole may get more efficient at a higher speed (at peak torque in the highest gear), the big increase in wind resistance makes the car less efficient at higher speeds.

Besides the above, the driver may be driving it a lot faster.
Which of course, as mdsaab mentioned, leads to higher braking (hence lost fuel/energy) too.
This sounds like a bizarre positive feedback that has gone out of control where a maniacal driver is determined to beat the peak torque with wind and brake resistances!! I guess this can only stop (brake) at the redline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
@mdsaab - Have been following your driving techniques to the last dot.
?
mm403, mdsaab and dot are actually two separate bhpians.
dot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:12   #403
BHPian
 
Poitive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: 3rdRockFmTheSun
Posts: 850
Thanked: 280 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This sounds like a bizarre positive feedback that has gone out of control where a maniacal driver is determined to beat the peak torque with wind and brake resistances!! I guess this can only stop (brake) at the redline.
I really couldn't get what you were trying to say here, dotty mate. My underdeveloped sense of humour to blame?
Poitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 21:54   #404
JD1
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 246
Thanked: 152 Times
Default Re: Honda Has Us Hooked! So ANHC Booked! An ownership report of the Honda City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Regarding the shell fuel consumption. I have had a rather strange experience with the Civic.
Where in a was actually getting less mileage compared to filling normal petrol at one of the govt bunks.
It was really strange indeed.
Yet to analyze the situation with the ANHC.
Which is the manufacturer recommended fuel grade for your Civic / City? In US my first car was Acura Integra where normal fuel was recommended but at times I used to fill a higher grade fuel and found a little bit smoother run and very little bit improvement in fuel efficiency. For my WV Passat the manufacturer recommended was the highest grade fuel. I believe there was a warning too that using lower grade fuel could damage the engine.
Most of the research in US says that as long as grade is same, it doesn't matter which brand of fuel you use.
JD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2011, 22:00   #405
Senior - BHPian
 
Sn1p3r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 1,017
Thanked: 224 Times
Default

Mdsaab, bro excuse me if you felt I directed you not to scold your driver, I meant most people get angry, but I know you are a Bhpian and a gentleman.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
City City Bang Bang! 1000 kms Report of my Honda City SMT roadie_swift Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 39 4th June 2015 15:52
City Lights - Honda City S (ANHC) Vikster Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 105 30th December 2013 14:42
The 2012 Honda City CE Silver: Delivered & Hooked! nitin.rai Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 92 4th February 2013 17:50
How has my 1.4 litre FIRE FIAT LINEA (F. Red) has lived the 5000 kms run? A report. omar1310 Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports 29 26th December 2009 13:15
Hooked Up to Team-BHP Rocky_Balboa Introduce yourself 3 15th August 2006 22:23


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks