Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > Team-BHP Reviews > Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports

Old 31st July 2011, 13:42   #46
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: BMW X1 20d CE: Joy Experienced

Well in Singapore it's pretty difficult to get a puncture even on regular tubeless tyres. So you can have regular tubeless without a spare. Plus Singapore is like 50km from one end to the other.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st July 2011, 13:51   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Well in Singapore it's pretty difficult to get a puncture even on regular tubeless tyres. So you can have regular tubeless without a spare. Plus Singapore is like 50km from one end to the other.
Well, thats true. But there are folks here who do regular road trips to neighbouring cities in Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, Penang, Malacca etc.) and venturing out without a spare tyre is not an entirely safe option. I will check with some friends (who own a BMW) on how they manage those trips
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd August 2011, 02:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

Great Review.

I own a Honda CRV and a close friend has just bought a BMW X1.

The X1 trumps the CRV in almost all areas, specially the driving experience, but the space/legroom of the CRV is much better. If I was to drive, I would choose the x1 anyday, but to sit in the rear seat, CRV is more comfortable.

That said, If I was to buy one the cars today, the X1 would be my choice
AbhiJ is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 09:37   #49
Senior - BHPian

Hi Anshuman,

Great review! It really puts things in a different perspective when you compare a crossover (X1) with your Laura. It really adds more fuel to the SUV vs Sedan debate. But there is a fine line now between the two and Crossovers are attempting to tread the fine line, of a compact size and fuel efficiency of a sedan, with the go somewhere (not anywhere!) capability of an SUV.
Going by sales figures, the India market has still not matured too much to accept this offer, but markets like Europe have moved strongly in this direction.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 11:44   #50
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I own a Honda CRV and a close friend has just bought a BMW X1.

The X1 trumps the CRV in almost all areas, specially the driving experience, but the space/legroom of the CRV is much better. If I was to drive, I would choose the x1 anyday, but to sit in the rear seat, CRV is more comfortable.

That said, If I was to buy one the cars today, the X1 would be my choice
The biggest reasons why anyone would pick the X1 over CRV is the Diesel Engine, the Driving Involvement and the Badge. We do not perceive it as overpriced is because it is a BMW.

The CRV in comparison now may not seem like good value post the price hike, but it also does some things better than the X1-
  • CRV actually is a Crossover, not a Station wagon with bodykit.
  • The Interiors have a premium feel.
  • It Rides way better than X1.
  • Space is superior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Anshuman,

Great review! It really puts things in a different perspective when you compare a crossover (X1) with your Laura.

It really adds more fuel to the SUV vs Sedan debate. But there is a fine line now between the two and Crossovers are attempting to tread the fine line, of a compact size and fuel efficiency of a sedan, with the go somewhere (not anywhere!) capability of an SUV.
But X1 is not a SUV, neither a Crossover(it is as much a SUV as Fiat Adventure or Ford Fusion). It cannot go anymore places than a Maruti SX4, unlike your Yeti. What good is a crossover when you have to slow it down for every irregularity on road fearing either sharp jolt or a damaged rim(thanks to the low pro tires).

Quote:
Going by sales figures, the India market has still not matured too much to accept this offer, but markets like Europe have moved strongly in this direction.
BMW X1 is quite popular in it's segment, in fact it finds more buyers per month than any other crossover. It is just because of the BMW badge, remove the badge and it may not find many takers.

If you drive it only on good roads it's a great car with a strong Diesel engine and excellent driving involvement. It does not feel as luxurious as any other BMW, even the 320d feels a big step up in refinement and feel.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd August 2011 at 11:48. Reason: typo
.anshuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:45   #51
Team-BHP Support

noob question, but what's the difference between a crossover and a station wagon?

Is the Aria actually a crossover? If yes why isn't the Innova one?
noopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:51   #52
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
noob question, but what's the difference between a crossover and a station wagon?

Instead of typing the whole explanation in detail, i googled and found these links which explains different body styles.

Car Body Styles Explained
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Car_classification

Quotes from Wikipedia:
Quote:
A station wagon or estate car is a body style variant of a sedan/saloon with its roof extended rearward[1] over a shared passenger/cargo volume with access at the back via a third or fifth door (the liftgate or tailgate), instead of a trunk lid. The body style transforms a standard three-box design into a two-box design — to include an A, B & C-pillar, as well as a D pillar. Station wagons feature flexibility to allow configurations that either favor passenger or cargo volume, e.g., fold-down rear seats.
Quote:
A crossover is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback.
Using the unibody construction typical of passenger vehicles, the crossover combines SUV design features such as tall interior packaging, high H-point seating, high ground-clearance or all-wheel-drive capability — with design features from an automobile such as a passenger vehicle's platform, independent rear suspension, car-like handling and fuel economy.
A crossover may borrow features from a station wagon or hatchback such as the two-box design of a shared passenger/cargo volume with rear access via a third or fifth door, a liftgate — and flexibility to allow configurations that favor either passenger or cargo volume, e.g., fold-down rear seats. The crossover may include an A, B & C-pillar, as well as a D pillar.
Crossovers are typically designed for only light off-road capability, if any at all
Not sure what is the Aria classified as? But Innova, Xylo etc are MPVs/MUVs, or we can even call them minivans.

Last edited by .anshuman : 3rd August 2011 at 15:58. Reason: points added
.anshuman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:04   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Instead of typing the whole explanation in detail, i googled and found these links which explains different body styles.

Car Body Styles Explained
Car classification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aria, Innova, Xylo etc are MPVs/MUVs, or we can even call them minivans.
To add on, here is the definition of a cross-over from Wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crossover_(automobile)

In BMW terms, they don’t call their X-series SUV. In their terms these cars are known as SAV – A Sports Activity Vehicle for the family, with limited off-roading capability. And IIRC, the X6 is known as SAC – Sports Activity Coupe.
Old 10th August 2011, 16:35   #54
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
In BMW terms, they don’t call their X-series SUV. In their terms these cars are known as SAV – A Sports Activity Vehicle for the family, with limited off-roading capability. And IIRC, the X6 is known as SAC – Sports Activity Coupe.
I remember how Maruti used to advertise the Wagon-R as MAV, but was it any different than the other tallboy hatchbacks? No. Similarly no matter what BMW may call X1, it won't really change what it is actually. The classification is decided by body type and vehicle's special abilities.

It can only be called the SAV because of the fun to drive factor, then 3 series is more entertaining to drive.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th August 2011, 18:13   #55
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
I remember how Maruti used to advertise the Wagon-R as MAV, but was it any different than the other tallboy hatchbacks? No. Similarly no matter what BMW may call X1, it won't really change what it is actually. The classification is decided by body type and vehicle's special abilities.

It can only be called the SAV because of the fun to drive factor, then 3 series is more entertaining to drive.
Totally agree. What I meant was, BMW in a way is right not to call the X1 (or any other X) a SUV. I feel these cars have more of sedan-like characteristics than of a SUV. Since you’ve driven both, I am sure you’ll agree that the X1 is much more fun to drive than many of the sedans in the market
Old 7th March 2012, 11:39   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Thanks for that nice crisp uptight report of the X1.
Seems like a decent vehicle to use for the highway then. As it can get past bad road conditions with ease.
I remember on our last trip to Goa, there were 2 X1's which zoomed by. They were going together and keeping up with them was out of the question.
Got a chance to admire them at the next tollbooth though.
Overall for me, i would probably pick this over the 3.
but like you rightly mentioned if you are looking for generous space in the cabin. Look elsewhere.
Reading about the refinement levels too was a bit dissapointing. You pay a lot for the brand and the tech, and you expect a super quiet refined cabin.
Hello mdsaab,
Good afternoon!! it might very well have been my friend NK and I in the two X1's that zoomed past you... Ha Ha!! We were going to Goa in our respective X1's. I have probably Pune's 1st BMW X1 sDrive20d in the classic Marrakesh Brown and NK has it in Alpine white. We were driving down with our families. We both love them. A great driver's car. Have enjoyed it for a year now. Recently had a near death experience in my X1 due to a sudden engine shut down, but that's another story which I can post if anyone's interested.
Regards,
Rohan
rohanpusalkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:22   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanpusalkar
Hello mdsaab,
Good afternoon!! it might very well have been my friend NK and I in the two X1's that zoomed past you... Ha Ha!! We were going to Goa in our respective X1's. I have probably Pune's 1st BMW X1 sDrive20d in the classic Marrakesh Brown and NK has it in Alpine white. We were driving down with our families. We both love them. A great driver's car. Have enjoyed it for a year now. Recently had a near death experience in my X1 due to a sudden engine shut down, but that's another story which I can post if anyone's interested.
Regards,
Rohan
I would be very much interested in the story since we share the same n47 engine.
taranonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th March 2012, 13:29   #58
Senior - BHPian

Crossover Definition as per Wiki:

Crossover (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think this about sums it up quite nicely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th March 2012, 20:50   #59

hello taranonline. Here's my story. I took delivery of the vehicle in Jan 2011 and was one of the lucky first owners of the car in the country. It was a dream car and I was enjoying the experience. Then a few things started happening which at first did not seem serious but then after my most recent horrible experience, I find quite disturbing and shocking.

There was a problem with the steering feeling heavy and the vehicle dragging to the side. At first it was dismissed by the dealership asking me to check typre pressures and the like. I thought I was going crazy, but the car being a BMW, I thought perhaps I was just over zealous. Then a few months later, the car was recalled by the dealership and all four tyres were replaced. A flimsy explanation was given that there was some error in selection of the correct tyres and now the correct tyres were being fitted. Most inexplicable. The incident was just brushed under the carpet so to speak. Apparently a RECALL is not a major issue with BMW. That was my first clue which I probably failed to take in seriously.

Thereafter, in Dec 2011, I almost died in a near fatal incident involving sudden engine failure of my BMW X1. I was driving on the highway when suddenly there was a dull flapping noise from the engine and within seconds the engine ceased. I was on the highway at 100-120 kmph with no control over the vehicle as the engine had stopped suddenly and thereby lost all hydraulic power. The steering jammed and the car could not be controlled. By pure god's grace, we survived as I was able to somehow turn the steering with superhuman effort to the left and brake the car 4 feet from the edge of a bridge.

The bad experience continued with a ridiculously indifferent approach by BMW towards this incident and after 10 days, I was casually told by the service station of the dealership that the engine had ceased and that I would be given a new engine. End of story. Nothing more... No explanation, no failure report, no personal contact, no nothing... After I visited the dealership (Bavaria Motors, in Pune) and raised a stink, there were a few phone calls and gestures of reluctant yet menaningless appeasement.

Overall, I am shocked at this approach from BMW as much or more than I am shocked at the failure of their product which is obviously due to bad quality assurance. The repaeted tendency to brush such incidents under the carpet CALLOUSLY, reflects very poorly on BMW. I am alive today thanks to God's grace in spite of my BMW's failure.

The company replaced the engine free of charge but the whole experience was terrible and I am left feeling shortchanged.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th March 2012 at 21:26. Reason: Added some spaces for ease of reading. Thanks
rohanpusalkar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th May 2012, 11:09   #60
BHPian

A friend of mine in a 3 series had a similar traumatic experience. While seated inside the car, all the electricals suddenly died and he was unable to lower the window panes or open the doors. Luckily he had his mobile with him and he called his son asking him to bring the duplicate key and open the door from outside. Leaves one wondering about the reliability of the sophisticated cars.
thesilentone is offline   Reply With Quote